Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

New Hope Recommendations - Mtn et al.

funkyart
9 years ago

Thank you all so much for your recommendations and experiences in New Hope and Bucks County. As I mentioned in the other thread, the area is one of my favorites for chilling and reenergizing. There's just something about the canal paths, the river and the countryside that sucks all the stress and toxic energy out of me.

I am not above hitting the downtown/main street touristy area but I just love driving the river roads and stopping in the little shops in and out of town. Even the ride home is fun-- there's a little shop with vintage and antique kitchen "stuff" and a few little quirky garden stores. We just drive along and stop where we want. I am hoping to make it up to Perkasie this trip to check out a few pieces at Stenella/Bucks Country Traders.

Mtn-- thank you so much for the recommendation of Honey in Doylestown! It is not the right place for this particular crowd/holiday dinner but it is definitely a place my SO and I will love! "Small plates" is so perfect for us because it allows us to have a taste of lots without eating like pigs! We had dinner at Amada in September and loved the meal of many small plates but it was just so crowded that it took away some of the enjoyment. Bolete looks good too and I don't want to take anything away from what they are doing-- which I am sure is exceptional-- but it's not unlike a number of restaurants here or in neighboring towns. Honey would be my choice for the two of us.
P.S. You don't sound snobby at all! Dining out should be an experience of the senses. Make no apologies for wanting something a little different and exciting!

Jersey - Trattoria Tiramisu is very close to bf's sister's home in Yardley so I am sure we will try it out one of these days! I haven't eaten at Martine's but I have had late night drinks there. Probably not the best time to gauge the quality but it definitely has charm and is right on the water.

Busybee - I hear you on the weekend traffic/crowds. We generally stay out of the main street mayhem. I have a few shops I like to peek in downtown but I don't do well with crowds or rude people anymore LOL! I have stayed at the Logan Inn which is right in the fray-- but it's not my choice. I had looked into staying at Black Bass one other time and the restaurant seems good for this group (boyfriend's brother and sister). I love the rooms with views right onto the river.

Just to complicate our plans further-- the group is now talking about taking in an exhibit at the Phila Museum of Art. Arggg.. that would move the dinner to center city. OK, I thought-- we've been wanting to try Zahav and of course it would be perfect for a Hanukkah gathering (they are jewish, I am not).. alas, I can't get a reservation for our group of 5.

I am going to chill my heels until they settle the travel plans-- one couple is coming in from NYC and one lives in Bucks County. We're traveling in from central PA but will be there a few days regardless of when/where the others arrive.. so we'll definitely have an opportunity to try one or more of the suggestions ourselves!

No one mentioned Marsha Brown-- is this because it's not up to standards or has no one dined there? I am enchanted by the decor in this 125 yo church. I am as interested in the surroundings as the creole food... if it is overrated, perhaps we'll stop for lunch rather than dinner.

Thank you all again.. and again..

Comments (22)

• dedtired
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That is a beautiful area. I like to cross the bridge to Lambertville NJ and drive along the river to Frenchtown. It is such a cute town with little shops and places for lunch. Then I drive back toward New Hope on the PA side and stop here and there. I usually stay away from the New Hope main drag as it is too touristy and crowded.

I dislike Peddlers Village, so don't get talked into that. Kind of an ersatz village with gift shops. I also had an awful meal at the Inn at Phillips Mill. They also did not tell us in advance that they don't take credit cards. We found out when the check came. Thank heavens I had my checkbook with me. Did they really expect us to pay cash for a dinner for six people?? The food was not great and the servers had attitude.

It is a great area to visit at Christmas, as is center city.

• jerseygirl_1
    9 years ago

Funky if you are dining in Center City Phila, check out Davios on 17th St.

• jerseygirl_1
    9 years ago

Funky if you are dining in Center City Phila, check out Davios on 17th St.

• leel
    9 years ago

Have you been to the Frenchtown Inn? Used to go there all the time when I lived in Jersey.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I've had very nice meals at Hamilton's Grill Room in Lambertville, right across the river from New Hope. But it was summer and we sat outside among the trees so I didn't experience the inside service.

Bolete is very good but not very close to Bucks County.

I'm going to put Honey on my list for dining without my husband. He dislikes the small plate places.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

my husb likes MB's and I love the building, but I have had fair to poor seafood there on several occasions-- my husb likes steak and they do that very well... it is right smack in the middle of the hustle and bustle, but they do have valet parking, so that's not an issue... anyway, he would def recommend it!
    the swan in Lambertville is also a great place to go- good food and lovely ambiance!!

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Would someone kindly post a link to funky art's original thread .....I can't seem to pull it up. My brother lives in Chalfont and we're across the river in NJ and we're always looking for a good restaurant in Bucks County where we can rendezvous for dinner.

We recently had a great meal at Piccolo Trattoria in Newtown. Our default restaurant is the Yardley Inn but it's always so noisy and we've also had nice meals at the Bridgetown Inn and Bellla Tori in Langhorne, the King George in Bristol and the Saloon.

I did have lunch at Marsha Brown's last summer with 4 other women and while my meal was very tasty 2 of my friends were disappointed.

Now we're planning our holiday get together and are looking for someplace we haven't been to. I hate to suggest Philly since it's over an hours drive for him and I can get there in under 20 minutes and sometimes parking can be a hassle.

If you do end up in Philly we've always had great meals at Buddakan - it's a little gimmicky but it's especially fun for a large group. I also like Marc Vetri's restaurants - Osteria, Vetri and Alla Spina. If you're a boisterous group and don't mind noise Brauhaus Schmitz is a great place for modern German food and lots of beer on tap.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So many great suggestions! I have had brunch at Yardley Inn and have always enjoyed it-- but yes, it gets busy.

I've never been to Buddhakan -- I know they are highly regarded but it always seemed too gimmicky. My boyfriend prefers a more.. hmm.. subtle kind of atmosphere. Of the Starr restaurants, Stella is our favorite-- totally opposite end of the fancy spectrum! lol

Maire-cate, have you been to Mica in Chestnut Hill? I havent been but it would be my pick if we werent centered on Bucks or CC. Their seasonal menus always look great to me. On the surface the winter/fall menu looks like many others-- but when you read a little deeper you will find some very interesting and inventive twists. While not the most unusual dish on the menu, I am sitting here daydreaming over the Parisian Gnocchi with wild mushrooms and chestnuts. It would be the perfect comfort food on this cold and rainy day!

I will check out all of the other suggestions-- if not for this trip for future trips. Thank you all so much!

Ah and Maire-cate-- the other thread was Mtn's thread about a Dream Home for Sale. I rudely hijacked it.. so broke it away to this thread.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

IMHO some of the old stalwarts, like the Frenchtown Inn and the Stockton Inn, have really gone downhill. Not that they are horrible, but they are only fair and priced as though excellent.

My company tonight here in CT is family from Doylestown; let me see what they might suggest, Funky.

Can't believe Buddakhan is still around. I did think it was quite good, 10+ yrs ago.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

IMHO some of the old stalwarts, like the Frenchtown Inn and the Stockton Inn, have really gone downhill. Not that they are horrible, but they are only fair and priced as though excellent.

My company tonight here in CT is family from Doylestown; let me see what they might suggest, Funky.

Can't believe Buddakhan is still around. I did think it was quite good, 10+ yrs ago.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Funky,

My sister recommends Lilys in Lambertville, The Black Bass, The Golden Pheasant, and, another Doylestown one, 84West.

mtn

• jerseygirl_1
    9 years ago

Eating in CC Phila.depends on what type of dining you would like to do.

Davio's Italian Steakhouse in Phila. Check out their website. Service is unbelievable and food is great. Great steak. It's in an old bank building. They do have Valet Parking. Depending on the night, you can find street parking. Million Dollar Listing NY filmed at their NYC location last season.

Buddakhan is good but an entirely different dining experience. It's family style dining. Tables are close. I haven't been there for years. Not sure if anything has changed since then. I do remember our table was not ready and we had a hard time getting a drink at the bar while we were waiting. If you are going during the week, you may not have the same issues.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

funyart - thanks for mentioning mtn's post about the dream house for sale. We were away for 2 weeks and somehow I completely missed it - what a stunning property! We used to live in Bucks and often took long drives through the countryside. Fall was the best - we'd put the roof down on the convertible, turn the heater on high and drive up River Road to one of the restaurants along the river- Washington Crossing Inn, Centerbridge Inn, Black Bass. My jeweler is Yardley and we usually combine a stop there with dinner at one of the nicer places in the area. I'll have to jot down some of these restaurants to try.

Thanks for the Mica recommendation, the Gnocchi sounds divine.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I didnt see new posts-- I really need to remember to use notifications. Plans are not yet finalized but they've been modified somewhat. My bf's brother and SIL are ditching the New Hope/Phila plan and coming here to Harrisburg area the weekend after Christmas. We'll still be doing a dinner with his sister in Yardley so I think we'll let her choose from the many wonderful suggestions you've provided!

Mtn-- thanks to you and your sister! I had forgotten about the Golden Pheasant. Funny, I'd considered Lily's for a birthday this past spring-- so I appreciate the thumbs up there too! I love the variety of your recommendations. New Hope/Doylestown/Bethlehem are all good spots to meet up with a number of our relatives (my bro is also in N Jersey) so I am sure I'll circle back to the list again and again.

Jersey - Davio's looks interesting also. I think now that our we'll be dining with just his sister, we'll be looking for someplace "lighter" but I will keep this in mind for the future. It definitely doesn't look like your standard steakhouse! BF will love it!

Marie-cate - It is such a lovely property, isnt it? It's exactly what I see in my mind's eye when I think of Bucks County. I am glad you were able to find the post! I hope you have a great holiday dinner!

Independent of dinner, we need to nail down *our* travel plans. I am torn between an easy going stay in NH or a stay in center city! And just for a little crazy time, I am going to brave KoP with my sister later this week!

Thank you all!

• hhireno
    9 years ago

And just for a little crazy time, I am going to brave KoP with my sister later this week!
    You're a better man than I am Gunga Din if you are willing going to KoP so close to xmas. Sister time is always good so that should help make it, if not fun, bearable.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

KoP that brings back memoies!

Funky, I didn't know you were out in Harrisburg. So are Bee and Beagles iirc!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No kidding, Hhireno!! I have a hard time dealing with KoP on a normal day! The good news is my sister LOVES the hustle and bustle so she'll be a source of laughs and good cheer.

• jerseygirl_1
    9 years ago

I was just at KofP on Friday afternoon with my best friend. We had so much fun! The best place for shoe shopping.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Wonder how many people are wondering what KofP is, and how bizarre it sounds to anyone who didn't grow up hearing that name!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha Mtn-- I was just with Bee this morning!

Jersey-- so glad to hear your trip was fun! I will suffer through the crowds for the shoes and Chanel. ;)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wanted to circle back and update you all since you were kind enough to share your recommendations and experiences-- and even those of your siblings (special thanks to Mtn's sis!)

After a few days of pulling out my hair as SO's siblings set and changed plans multiple times, we have our plans and they worked out even better than we expected. We'll be hosting his brother/SIL here in Harrisburg and we'll meet up with his sister in New Hope. We have a night booked in New Hope and one in Phila.. which is just what we wanted. We'll spend a day meandering the Bucks County countryside and then head down to Philadelphia where we'll have a nice dinner and then shop a bit and hit one of the winter popups. Paul Strand exhibit on Saturday and then head home.

We are really hoping for nice weather. We really enjoyed the summer popup at Spruce Street Harbor ad now we are looking forward to visiting the winter incarnation-- as well as the one at Love's Park (close to where we are staying). We met the urban designer who came up with the concept for Spruce Street Harbor when we were there in Sept-- the design was so fun and inventive! A great transformation of the park! Here's a peek at the winter version.. a heated tent with leather sofas and wool throws is next to the ice rink.. outdoors you'll find adirondack chairs and fire pits... and the signature shipping container outposts for hot chocolate and more spirited libations! I am so looking forward to the getaway-- a perfect winter escape!

Thank you all for your part in our planning! I'll toast you with a warm drink!

• jerseygirl_1
    9 years ago

Funky. I have never heard of Spruce Street Harbor. Will need to check it out over the holidays. Sometimes us locals know less than visitors. My aunt and uncle had a drug store and luncheonette at 10th and Spruce for 53 yrs. it's now a retro second hand furniture/stuff store. You may want to
    check it out. There is a great Greek restaurant BYOB across the street.

Have a great time and enjoy your family.