Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

These are a few of my favorite things

hhireno
10 years ago

I love how my neighbor decorates his one front yard tree with lights. It is truly my favorite Xmas decoration. And I love that he usually does it on the coldest day before Xmas.

I love how another neighbor, who is usually so precise and proper about everything, allows her youngest son to do their outside lights in this haphazard fashion with mixed strands of different sized lights. It's so out of character that it makes me enjoy the display so much more than the houses done by professionals or imitating a professional job.

I love how when you squat down to get closer to a small child to talk to them, they imitate you and squat down also. Which defeats the purpose of you sqautting to get closer to hear them but it is so darn cute.

I heard or read so many depressing news items today I needed to think about joyful things. Those three popped into my mind.

What brings you joy?

Comments (55)

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

It brings me such joy to hear my 4.5 year old singing crazy made up words (on purpose to be silly) to jingle bells. He was not speaking a word a year ago, and I wasn't sure I would ever hear him speak.

Hearing him say I love you everynight at bedtime is another thing that brings me to happy tears. :)

• awm03
    10 years ago

The smell of Christmas pine
    My sons teasing me
    Riding a bike
    Doing small kindnesses for strangers

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago

My almost 18 year old cat sitting on me with his paws wrapped around my neck.

Listening to Audra McDonald sing "Climb Every Mountain".

Along the lines of Awn's "doing small kindnesses for strangers", hearing about the Random Acts of Kindness and the happiness they evoke.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

Nice thread hhireno!

Here's some of my favorites.

I put suet out today. I love the sound of the red belly woodpecker's squawk when he (she?) discovers the treat.

Packing a box of home-made sweets to mail to someone I love.

A well stocked pantry in anticipation of holiday cooking.

Sharing a laugh (at my own expense!). I wanted to make apple jelly for my family today and knew, just knew I had stashed pectin somewhere. I was searching everywhere and the thought briefly (just briefly, mind you!) ran through my mind to google where I had put it. Like the internet would know where I had tucked the pectin way ... good grief.

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Great thread, and sorely needed for me today, thanks!

My list:
    Being able to tune in to Christmas carols all day on the radio, anticipation at a break in the normal routine, more gatherings with friends, sharing good food.....

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

What a nice thread !! I'm enjoying some florida time till the 21st,
    I love driving to publix at 7am in flipflops to get my groceries!

My favorite xmas gift this year will be a grand daughter arriving on the 23rd by caesarian, which is why i'm leaving the sun to go to cold and snow in Montreal - i promised to help out with food,etc it's their 1st baby.

So we are not really having a "real" xmas this year, it will be different and memorable. I love hearing all of your stories !

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago

Mitch, congratulations on the new addition! How very exciting. I can't think of a better gift!!

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I love it when all my dogs meet me at the door for hugs and kisses.

This week I have had a lot of errands, doctorsâ appointments, dentists, roofing showrooms, appliance shopping and the list goes on. ItâÂÂs like something is in the air, I cannot believe all the nice helpful people I have met lately. The dollar store was even a hoot. While picking up some wine bags the Middle Eastern owner was singing Christmas songs to all those standing in line with Christmas wrapping supplies. He was really enjoying himself and was so funny. I even had a good time at the dentists as there is a great crew there. When I went to Sherwin Williams to buy a paint deck they gave it to me for free, I had to buy my BM decks. Free is my favorite lol.

IâÂÂm thankful for those spur of the moment evenings with husband at one of our favorite restaurants overlooking a marina. Nothing like sitting out in perfect weather sharing a bottle of wine and a tray of sushi rolls.

I love making my boys a big pot of Cajun stew because it makes them happy.

Another favorite thing is buying gifts and really getting it right. My dad is a real outdoorsman and has just about everything you could imagine. Wellâ¦he had everything except a Knives of Alaska Suregrip Trekker Series Elk Hunter Knife! IâÂÂve never heard him get that excited over a gift before. I sent it early for deer hunting season.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Throwing bird seed and nuts out on to the frozen ground and watching the birds & squirrels come out of hiding to feast. They seem so much more joyous this time of year.

Catching impromptu childrens chorals in public places. No more kids at home and no grands, so I miss going to their performances. Running into one at the mall or a lobby is so much fun.

Throwing an extra tip to the staff at the drive thru's or gas station when I pay with plastic. Today I stopped to get gas and tipped the attendant and then when I got my lunch at a small drive thru, I added $10 to the bill for the staff. Wrote "Feliz Navidad to the Crew at Muchas" on the tip line of the credit slip and the look on the face of the cashier was priceless.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Running the trails in the snow. (it's raining now so the snow will be gone)

Watching my cats go nuts with the catnip which I bought for them today.

Cooking dinner for my family.

Having coffee with friends and knowing how lucky I am to have them in my life.

This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it hhireno.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

KellyEng, I am one of the little old ladies asking for someone to get an item off the top shelf for me, so thank you from all of us. In fact, I was doing grocery today and I had to ask a young mother to get a quart of milk from the top shelf for me. The containers were pushed back a little from the edge and just beyond my reach. As a return of karma, I take back shopping carts that are blocking parking spaces on my way into stores.

Another nice thing happened today. I couldn't find spray starch and when I checked out, the checker told me that at a nearby location, the spray starch was on the fourth aisle on the top right halfway down the aisle. I went to that store and it was exactly where he told me it would be. What serendipity it was to find someone who could help in such an unusual way.

Then, I stopped at a liquor store to buy some ingredients for a recipe and the checker carded me...LOL!!! I thanked her!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Watching TV while sItting by the fire in our FR (two yrs post-reno, but still feels new and special!), with the throw my mom knitted draped across my legs, and both kitties snuggled on the throw, with DH ensconced in "his" corner of the sectional, wrapped up in his mom's quilt. I love this sooooo much, I almost don't mind having to ice my toes-ies (had surgery last Friday).

This post was edited by cat_mom on Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 12:33

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Seeing a fellow cancer patient in some outrageous wig. I love it and always smile. Life is short, we all need to take ourselves a little less seriously.

My son sneaking green beans to the dogs as he swears them to secrecy. Or seeing the magic of holidays through his eyes.

5am runs or walks. I love the cold weather.

The satisfaction and peace I have when skinning or climbing for some backcountry ski runs. Nothing better than earning one's turns. Hoping to once again be able to ski this winter...

Hearing an old favorite song that I have forgotten play when I hit shuffle on iTunes.

Great thread.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Set aside 10 minutes to do a meditation on gratitude....just find a quiet place to sit or lie down, set a timer if need be. Close your eyes and just start thinking about all the things you have to be grateful for...your home, your talents, the people in your lives, your good memories, health, laughter, even running water and electricity. It will leave you feeling high and happy, strong and able to put things in perspective.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

When friends ask, "So, how is everyone in your family/?" and I can say, "We are all good."

Cold weather. I just look my best in cold weather.

Cat_mom- (((wishing you a speedy recovery.)))

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Spending cozy evenings on the sofa with DH and purring cat.

The smell of our fresh Christmas tree.

Student who was thrilled he got an A in my course.

Student who was accepted early decision into her first choice graduate program.

Getting my Mustang running again and driving it. Forget how much fun it is.

Being able to go to my favorite Zumba class while we are on winter break from school.

• kkay_md
    10 years ago

Getting my Christmas shopping done well before the last minute (unheard of).
    Planning a visit between Christmas and New Year to see my parents and siblings.
    Going out to get a tree tonight.
    Our son returning home on Sunday for winter break.
    Our daughter receiving an invitation to interview at U-Penn for Veterinary Medical School!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Spending quiet time alone at home with a good movie or just puttering...

Spending quiet time at home with DH and a good movie, or just puttering....

Seeing my adult kids happy and blossoming....

Seeing my adult kids....period.

Snow days

Planning our retirement!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I never get tired of hearing "Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire". It always makes me happy. And, one of our special Christmas treats is actually roasting and eating chestnuts.

After 20 years in this house, it's easy to take the natural beauty around us for granted sometimes. But, it's such a joy to stop and enjoy the beauty of our snow-covered mountain behind us here. One of those free Ahhhh Moments that are so special.

Our annual tree trimming night is always very special to us. DD will be home from college this evening for Winter Break, so we'll trim our family tree together tomorrow night, complete with eggnog, Christmas carols playing in the background and much reminiscing.

We live amid hundreds of acres of pinon pine and juniper trees and I love the way the snow makes them smell so fresh and Christmasy now.

I love the smell of pinon pine logs burning in our fireplace on these cold Winter evenings. It's very fragrant and distinct and very New Mexican. Taking a walk at night now, you can smell it up and down our mountain valley.

One of my favorite things is making our delicious Biscochito cookies every year at this time with my daughter. We laugh and talk together as we bake, remembering happy memories of Christmases past. The kitchen smells wonderfully of cinnamon and anise seed.
    Lynn

• tinam61
    10 years ago

-My pup
    -A Christmas lunch today with a dear friend for over 30+ years. Laughing at our gifts to each other - so very well we know each other.
    -Looking at our Christmas cards each day
    -Sitting in the evenings in the dark with the trees, candles and mantle lights on
    -Christmas programs at church - especially the children's
    -taking a ride with hubby to look at lights

Congrats Mitch! What a wonderful Christmas gift.

tina

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Feeling the brisk cool air after the summer Texas heat!

Walking down the street and seeing how the neighbors have decorated this year.

The smell of beef stew simmering on the stove!

The evening Christmas parade in a small Texas town, and enjoying the treats put out by shopkeepers.

My (((Grands))) talking about Santa!!!

Christmas programs at school!

Making a few donations, and thankful that I can.

Being blessed with a (((family))) to share the holidays.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Tina...yes, sitting in the dark and looking at the Christmas tree lights. Especially as the kids were growing up, at the end of long days, I would always sit and just look at the tree for a few minutes every night before going to bed...so peaceful.

• kelpmermaid
    10 years ago

LOL! Sitting in the dark in the living room, looking at the Christmas tree without glasses or contacts. What a nice, soft, blurry glow!

• blfenton
    10 years ago

kelpmermaid - I was thinking exactly the same thing! Those with perfect vision miss out on that great picture. They have to squint to get some idea.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Thanks ellendi! Not doing too badly! :)

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

This week I survived both a mammogram and dental work (drugged, of course, for the latter) so that makes me happy. So happy, in fact, that last night I had two cocktails and had to go to bed at 8:30!

DS and his friends have been getting good news from their early-action and/or early-decision college apps over the last week or so. It's fun for us to hear about the schools his friends are hearing from (he hangs out with a good crowd -- they're getting acceptances to BU, Harvard, NYU, Barnard...). He is so happy for himself but also equally happy for his friends, which is sweet.

Happy to be giving my 78 yo dad a Xmas gift of a trip (with us) to his hometown for a family reunion next summer.

My favorite part of the holidays is just having a good excuse to get together with friends and family. Over the next week, I have a few dinners out with different groups of friends and all do a small gift swap, which is just fun.

I'm also looking forward to my two younger kids having almost two weeks off from school! Both have been working hard this school year and have earned the break!

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Walking my dogs at night and looking at the Christmas lights as we walk by houses in the neighborhood.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Seeing my 2 daughters (14 and 9) developing skills that I always wished I'd had. There is a comfort in seeing how closely they resemble you, but there is a delight in seeing how different and unique they are, too.

• Danahills
    10 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 20:55

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Joanie - for that reason we always have a small Christmas tree in our bedroom. Love it. Our trees (3) are all on this morning and the mantel lights. Rainy and dark morning here - so even tho i have been up and about doing this and that, I'm back under the covers for a bit. Enjoying the lights and a little time on the computer.

tina

• texanjana
    10 years ago

-I am still enjoying the amazing fall color here in Austin. The red oaks are the prettiest I have ever seen them.
    -Listening to Christmas music.
    -I love the cool, brisk weather for walking outside.
    -Making candy and cookies with my daughter.
    -My 3 week upcoming break from work, and I don't even work at a school!
    -The ability to help those less fortunate.
    -Looking at Christmas lights.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Heading out for errands on a clear cold day and being overwhelmed by the beauty of Mt Rainier from many different vantage points on my route (not my photo, but it captures what I see). There is something about the winter air/light that makes it appear to loom even larger than usual.

Having hummingbirds in December (a fairly new phenomenon in my area) come to the feeder that I've entwined with Christmas lights to keep it thawed during our recent frigid weather. It looks so festive!

Watching the local foxes in their beautiful winter coats come to drink at the ground level birdbath that I've rigged to stay thawed for them and the birds when everything else is frozen. I even enjoy seeing the pesky raccoons taking a drink - they, too, have their fabulous winter fur.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I love it when my DDs are both home, and they are in the family room watching TV and giggling. I can't hear what they say, but I love hearing the laughter from the next room.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Doing errands with Robert. This time of year, work begins to slow after a busy busy time in manufacturing. I love him so. He is the kindest, most giving person I know. Intelligent too! I love how he represents himself in public. I love how he represents himself in private. He blesses my life and I feel lucky to be loved this much. We are a great fit. It's been a very easy 30 years.

My Isabelle. She is my favorite child. I'm mindful that she is turning nine soon and that is old for a Bulldog. She is stiff in the morning but she has such a vocabulary.

The wild birds I feed. I'm diligent about making sure they always have food. Thankfully, there is a spring just below my property so I don't have to worry about water. The Blue Jays beg for peanuts and I always oblige.

My house. After 24 years, My vision is finally surfacing. We bought a large 1912 home that had solid bones but needed everything. We've spent years throwing money at it and years taking time out because we were busy doing other things. We have been focusing on its completion lately. My new view window makes my heart sing.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Animal tracks in the snow. Something is visiting my carport each night! I love the tracks of birds on the roofs. I also love the sight of undisturbed snow. So peaceful.

The cute kids who shoveled for me in the last storm.

Scarves. Especially really long ones that you can wrap around and around.

That aha moment when the idea for a perfect gift for someone pops in your head. That literally makes me dance.

The sound of a can of Diet Coke being popped open. I don't know why Diet Coke sounds better than the rest.

My new front walk. I have been waiting years for this. The old one was treacherous and a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Hitting the Buy Now button on Amazon and imagining your order flying through the air to the Amazon elves. Then, the sight of the boxes on your doorstep. And opening the boxes to see your purchases (but not opening my credit card bill -- lol).

Social Security payments magically appearing in my checking account, reward for many years of hard labor.

I do absolutely love Christmas lights.

My grandnieces. I love everything about them. Wish I could keep them little.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Gold, that is so sweet about your DH. I've got a good one, too. I should have mentioned him in my favorite things! He makes me laugh every single day and is the most generous person I know.

And my bulldog Phoebe is going strong (for the most part) and will be 11 next month. Of our three dogs, she's the one with the most personality and brains.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Sue, I'm encouraged to hear your Phoebe is going strong. She is a cutie !! I get freaked out with the slightest hint of something wrong with. Belle.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, love these pics of your precious bulldogs.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Oh look, their coloring is so similar! Here's my other English bulldog (we have a Frenchie, too...yes, we have a dog problem).

• golddust
    10 years ago

We have a smashed faced dog problem. I love the breed.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

dupe

This post was edited by dedtired on Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 21:15

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

What an uplifting thread!

Things that recently brought me joy:

Finding a Vizsla puppy on Sunday and watching him chase my 100 lb black lab around the house all afternoon until his owner retrieved him from us.

Listening to the funny comments my kids were making as they put their many years of ornaments on the Christmas tree.

Making dinner last night and my younger two kids asking if they could help me make the marinade and chop the vegetables.

Seeing my 72 y/o mother asleep on my couch Saturday night with a book propped up on her lap...a familiar sight from my youth. Her love of reading inspired my own.

Walking through the mall and seeing all the little ones dressed up in Christmas clothes on their way to see Santa. Mine have outgrown that.

Watching my 10 y/o finish a local 5K race, 20th place overall out of over 200+ runners (first place in his age group), and seeing his sprint to the finish, passing a man at the last minute who had been running ahead of us for the last mile. While he's a good athlete on team sports, he struggles mightily in school due to a learning disability and as a result, suffers from low self esteem. He has recently found a love of running, something that he's really good at as an individual, which is great for his self-esteem.

This note, that my 8 y/o left for our "elf on the shelf" - this was the first one which she left for him two weeks ago. She wrote another the other night which had dh laughing so hard he couldn't even read it aloud to me. Among other things in the second note, she wanted to know if all elves have squeaky voices. :)

This post was edited by fourkids4us on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 21:58

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

And how could I forget out annual visit to Johnson City, TX, home of LBJ. It's all about the lights!

Here is a link that might be useful: please click

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

And how could I forget out annual visit to Johnson City, TX, home of LBJ. It's all about the lights!

Here is a link that might be useful: please click

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Fourkids, I would love to but I can't see the note.

Patty, they do it up big in JC! My sister went to high school there and my exDH worked at the JC PEC location. He said the electricity cost was astronomical.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Kelly, I think my privacy setting was on in photobucket - I can see the picture so I can't tell if others can. I just changed it to public and edited my post above, but don't know if others still can't see it. Let me know if it works this time. Here it is again:

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by fourkids4us on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 7:33

• blfenton
    10 years ago

The copy of your 8 y/o's note still isn't showing. At that age they say the cutest (and darndest) things. I remember that age.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Kelly, I can imagine! Must be some wealthy people there who help pay the cost.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Taking my boys back to school from the dentist office with no cavities!

As I drop them off, my normally moody and sometimes difficult boy squeezes my arm and says "I love you mom".

Simple pleasures.

• golddust
    10 years ago

This is my favorite thing.