Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellendi_gw

Chain letters

ellendi
10 years ago

I just received an email from a friend that explained that she was asked to send a letter to twelve of her closest friends.....
It turns out that it is a chain letter and I am supposed to send it on to twelve friends so I don't break the chain.
I wrote back that although the thought was lovely, I don't participate in chain letters.
Is it just me? Does anyone actually like these letters?

Comments (15)

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I've been lucky since I don't think I've received any in the past few years. However I have done the same thing you do - I tell the sender that I don't participate in chain letters.

The last one I received was for recipes and when I told the sender that I don't do chain letters she argued that it wasn't a chain letter because there wasn't a threat of bad luck if I failed to comply. I told her that I wasn't worried about the threat - I just didn't want to bother 10 of my friends with any kind of chain letter. My neighbor was miffed with me for months over that. But she never sent me another one!

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Oh gosh, I've gotten a few of those over the years. I toss 'em immediately. Have never even considered notifying anyone that I broke the chain :).

Ann

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I don't like chain letters, esp the ones that threaten all kinds of evil if you don't pass it along. I usually toss them and don't notify anyone.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

It's been a long time since I've received one - probably 20 years or more. I think most people have learned this is more of a nuisance than entertainment or a good way to get a new recipe or whatever so they aren't done as much anymore, thankfully. I'm like Ann and broke the chain without a backwards glance back in the day and would do the same now. ESPECIALLY at this time of year - what a pain to put that on anyone!!!

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I always ignore them, and don't notify anyone. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

same as above, I discard and don't advise, I am surprised at how many I still receive in this day and age.

• User
    10 years ago

I haven't received any in years, but about 10 years ago when everyone got email addresses I saw them frequently in my inbox.... so-called inspirational stuff that exhorted me to "forward this letter to twelve amazing women in your life."

I never replied or forwarded, but I WANTED to say that the truly "amazing" women I know don't have time for this drivel any more than I do!

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Every once in a while one will show up in my email box. I never forward or advise the sender.

Before the Internet, I think they were aganist the law when sent by regular mail.

ML

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I am glad these have pretty much stopped for me by email. I never forward them, so if the chain dies with me, so be it.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I ignored snail mail chain letters in the past and their cyber counterpart. The email chains usually go something like one of these.... you'll know how many true friends you have or if you love Jesus you'll.... blah blah blah.
    Personally I don't need to get email responses to know who my friends are and all that matters is that Jesus knows I love Him. For that matter my friends know it too.
    It's really easy to hit the delete button.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I have one friend who sends the "amazing women" emails all the time. It usually asks you to include the sender. Sometimes I just send it bac to her but I use a BC so she thinks I sent it to others as well. I think in the future I will just ignore it. I remember getting actual letters in the mail at one point in my life. Ugh.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I find them annoying, and if the first 2 sentences lead me to believe it's a chain type email, I delete immediately. I don't notify the sender since it's really my choice to ignore or follow suit.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Never responded to chain letters. What a waste of time. If they are starting up again I would be concerned about my email being shared all over the place. Personal opinion that if people are into this again, they have too much time on their hands and probably less than what should be in keeping our contact info out of strangers hands. Those stupid junk mail senders have a habit of not using BC most of the time. I question if this if on purpose or ignorance. Usually just delete without opening, but a couple made me curious because of their handle.

There are enough laws now, but similar to DoNotCall registrations, I would like to see one for emails too. ECommerce is grabbing too much of our info as it is

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Never responded to chain letters. What a waste of time. If they are starting up again I would be concerned about my email being shared all over the place. Personal opinion that if people are into this again, they have too much time on their hands and probably less than what should be in keeping our contact info out of strangers hands. Those stupid junk mail senders have a habit of not using BC most of the time. I question if this if on purpose or ignorance. Usually just delete without opening, but a couple made me curious because of their handle.

There are enough laws now, but similar to DoNotCall registrations, I would like to see one for emails too. ECommerce is grabbing too much of our info as it is

• golddust
    10 years ago

I never participate. I never have and I never will. I'm still alive (knock on wood).

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH