Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

Anyone planning on seeing "The Interview" ?

gsciencechick
9 years ago

Anyone going to the movies to see it, or else maybe planning to stream it?

DH and I purchased tickets online, so we will be seeing it Friday at a small nonprofit theatre.

You can view it online on Google Play, YouTube Movies, Xbox Video and its own site, www.seetheinterview.com, from 10 a.m. PST (1 p.m. EST). Price is $5.99 - $14.99 for HD. I wonder if the sites will crash.

I heard Ben Mankiewicz say he saw it before it was pulled, and he liked it.

Comments (20)

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

While I had no real interest in seeing it, we probably will, now. Even my DH, who is never attracted to comedies, expressed an interest in seeing it. I think, because of all the publicity, itâÂÂs attracting some of those people who would never have planned to watch it - to now want to watch it. DH is a prime example.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

These things are usually much a do about nothing--so I don't see wasting ten cents on it let alone the time!!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Yes, as a matter of principle and interest.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Although it's great there is the online streaming available, and we'd normally be happy to do that, we feel it's important to go to the theatre to see it even if we have to drive a bit. There is no true "independent" theatre in our city since they are all corporate owned. The nonprofit theatre website said this would be a movie they would normally not screen, but the issues around it have made it more important.

We will make a "date night" out of it, so it's nice to do something like that while we are both have downtime from work and do something socially conscious which is important to both of us.

We do like James Franco and Seth Rogen, and we typically do like their movies, but they are always great interviews when we hear them.

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

Our adult kids streamed it on Youtube yesterday. I was a little annoyed with them because I was busy with last minute Christmas prep, and they didn't wait for me to watch with them. I'll probably watch it tomorrow though. We have it for 48 hours. We don't have many theater choices in our area, so I'm not sure if it will be shown here.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

We have a bunch of independent theaters to choose from but we don't go to the movies anymore.

We streamed it last night from Google Play. It's a super silly movie, no different from other super silly movies. Definitely one of my least favorite genres, however, with the real life goings-on it made the movie really surreal. Therefore, I would highly recommend seeing this movie.

• socks
    9 years ago

I doubt I'll see it for no particular reason except I don't find it interesting.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

We're in Canada and live in the city in which it was filmed. It isn't being shown in any Canadian theaters and wasn't going to be shown on websites either which seems kind of silly given that it was filmed here with Canadian tax credits, but whatever. Don't let North Korea know that 'cause we're keeping our heads down about that, you know, below radar.

Last night though, Seth Rogen announced that it was going to be shown through websites in Canada so one of my sons jumped right onto his computer to watch it. He's still sleeping (we're on the west coast) so haven't talked to him yet about it.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

Dh is interested so we may see it when it comes out on video. Personally, I think it was in terrible poor taste to make a movie about a sitting world leader although the recent stunts would almost push me to put that aside and see it anyway.

• deegw
    9 years ago

This is what my favorite comedian had to say about the whole thing:

A: LetâÂÂs pull the movie. There will be a public outcry. Then when we do release it It'll be huge. IâÂÂll email u the details.
    B: DONâÂÂT EMAIL!

• Lars
    9 years ago

My brother works for Sony Pictures, and so he will get a copy of the BluRay, if that ever comes out. In the meantime, he has had to freeze his credit report because his SS# was stolen, and I am going to freeze mine also, as he had listed me as his beneficiary and used my SS# also, although I am at less risk.

We might stream it earlier, however. DB's work schedule has been drastically changed due to the shut-down of the Culver City office (where he normally works), and for a while, they were making him commute to Agoura Hills, 1-1/2 hours from here in rush hour traffic. Sony is now using some Sony Electronics offices at the Howard Hughes Center (in our neighborhood), and so his commute to there is only 5 minutes. He has to work tomorrow, due to the problems they are still dealing with.

I am worried that this is only the first such attack and that others might follow. I agree that this is a silly movie and it would have gone unnoticed if this had not happened.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

The reviews would have to be outstanding to entice me to watch another Seth Rogen film. The few that I have seen were sophomoric and ephemeral - and I guess I've aged out their appeal.

It somewhat amazes me that Sony would release a film so blatant that it almost invites a reprisal of some kind. I am interested in reading some of the reviews.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

After the awful "This Is The End", I have no desire to see another film they do together. I don't mind them as actors but their version of comedy leaves a lot to be desired.

I couldn't believe the outrage over the delay. Cynical person that I am, seemed like Sony used the threat to get people into the theaters for a movie that wasn't going to make very much on its own merits.

• melsouth
    9 years ago

Not going to watch it.
    I despise their stupid movies already.
    I would only go if I were the one being paid, and it would have to be a lot of money.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are home from the screening. We stayed overnight. It was a 11:15 p.m. showing about 75 min away. By the time we got to bed at the hotel it was 2 a.m. The theatre holds The movie plot line was actually pretty interesting, and overall it was better than I anticipated based on some of the early reviews. There was a fair amount of violence as well. The guy who played Kim Jung-un, Randall Park, was good. They tried to give an insight of what it could be like inside North Korea. Yes, I can see why the North Korean government would not be happy about it. Like one of the critics says in this review, they did make a movie about killing a sitting head of state and how they did not anticipate any blowback from that.

So, it may be worth your while. I agree with Ben Mankiewicz, 7/10. I also agree they could have done more with the ending.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ben Mankiewicz review What the Flick (some spoilers)

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Nope, no desire whatsoever to see it.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Gsciencechick, you sound like a highly-principled person to make it a point to see the movie. I commend you!

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! We were both fortunate to have the downtime to do it.

Also, yesterday outside the hotel was a farmers market, so we got some goat cheese and leaf lettuce to bring home. The only bust was we were a little disappointed with our dinner on Friday night.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

I think it's great to make a statement by seeing the movie. However, from what I have read and heard, it is a truly stupid movie. It would be nicer to be making a statement about something worth while. I had zero interest in seeing it before and none now. I read that the only reason Sony made the movie was to keep Seth Rogan. They thought if Sony said no, he would go to another studio. Sony will probably make more money streaming and with DVDs.
    If you haven't seen Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator, you are in for a treat when you do. He skewers Hitler and Mussolini without blowing off their heads.