Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baylorbear

Has anyone ordered from Grandinroad or Home Decorators catalogs?

baylorbear
11 years ago

Hi All,

I am a frequent reader and very occasional poster, but I hope to be posting more in the spring after we move. We are building a new house and it will be twice the size of our current house, so we'll definitely need a little more furniture/art, etc.

I've received a few catalogs from Grandinroad and Home Decorators Collection, and I was wondering if anyone has ordered items from either company and if so, how was your experience? I'm mostly wondering about the quality of their products and customer service.

There is a canvas that I like from Grandinroad and a mirror and a few rugs that I like in the Home Decorators catalog. None of the items are very expensive, but they would probably be a pain to have to ship back if they didn't work out for us.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (24)

• camlan
    11 years ago

I've ordered once from Grandinroad and a couple of times from Home Decorators. Mostly small storage things, a bookcase, a shoe cabinet.

The quality is about what you would expect for the price. Everything is pretty much as described. I'm still using everything, years after I purchased it--nothing's broken or faded or chipped. I've not had to contact customer service for any problems, so I can't speak to that.

A friend of mine ordered one of their rugs about 10 years ago. It's in her study and it still looks fine.

I'm not sure I'd order upholstered furniture from either company, but that's mostly because I insist on actually being able to do a "test sit" on any chairs or sofas before buying.

• kimberlyrkb
    11 years ago

I have bought 3 pieces of furniture from Home Decorators - an end table, a tv console and a bench for our mudroom. We've been extremely happy with all three items. I agree with camlam I probably wouldn't buy upholstered furniture without being able to sit in it first. Oh - I did order a smallish rug from Home Decorators, also, and was very happy with it. You can also find many of the rugs on other rug sites, like Rugs Direct or Rugs USA, which is helpful, because those sites often have additional reviews you can check.

• baylorbear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses! :-)

That is a very good point about ordering upholstered furniture! I think that I might order the artwork and the mirror if they still have them after we move. We will need some large rugs, but I'll probably try to find them locally.

I'm glad to hear that both of you had good experiences!

Thanks again!

• sable_ca
    11 years ago

Haven't ordered from Home Decorators, but I ordered wall art twice from Grandin Road. Both pictures were described as being indoor-outdoor and able to take any kind of weather. I intended them for our deck but liked them so much that I have kept them indoors. There was no problem with the ordering and delivery of either picture.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I've purchased from Home Decorators and been very happy. Their clearance is the best around. If you decide to order, get one item first and sign up for their catalog and you'll get wonderful discount coupons in the catalog. All the items I've purchased are still looking the way the did when I bought them. Most are accent pieces and storage. Overstock is another good site along with Josh & Main and 55 Downing St and Wayfair. For my upholstered pieces I go in person.

• User
    11 years ago

I ordered a tablecloth from Home Decorators. There was a large faded area. The return was easy, received a good one, and I have no complaints.

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I have a few things from HD. At least one ottoman. A console table. And a small loveseat. Normally I wouldn't buy seating that I hadn't tested out in person, but this loveseat is "just for show" in our master bedroom, where no one ever actually sits. It's where we throw our clothes ;)

The one issue we had was with the console. It's a rustic looking piece, and on one side, it was a little too rustic -- a big ding and a chip in the wood. Luckily, the piece of wood that chipped off was in the shipping box. I called HD and they offered to credit back some of the price (can't remember now how much) so we took the credit, glued the wood piece back in place, and turned the damaged side toward the wall.

Rugs are tricky because the colors can really vary from what you see online or in the catalog. I'd order the smallest size first to check the colors; then it's easier to return than if you'd gone ahead and ordered an 8x10 or 9x12!

• baylorbear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies! I feel much more confident now about ordering from either catalog after hearing all the positive experiences!

I'm not even sure how I ended up on their mailing lists, but they both have some pieces that I like. Glad to hear that it's worked out for everyone!

Happy New Year! :-)

• ellessebee
    10 years ago

I, too, am wondering about ordering from Home Decorators. I am interested in a sleep sofa, though. I have always said I wouldn't buy seating i couldn't try out first but after about 5 weeks of non-stop test sitting in all the major furniture stores, department stores, small furniture boutiques, designer showrooms in NYC etc., I still have not found the perfect sit-fit! I need something with an inside seat depth that is less than 22" (not overall depth, just seat depth). Any deeper and either my feet don't reach the floor or my back gets no support and I end up slouching. I haven't found anything this shallow, and most places don't even know their inside seat depths so I can't even pre-screen over the phone. So I thought I might try DC just because their prices make a less than optimal choice a little more bearable. (I'd hate to spend thousands at Roche Bobois and still not be able to sit comfortably....) So if anyone has any experience with upholstered furniture from DC, I'd love to get some feedback. Things like sturdiness, durability, feel of fabric, cushion comfort etc. Thanks

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I've ordered a few things from Grandinroad and have been happy with the value for money. Most stuff has been more utilitarian, like copper serving trays or outdoor stuff (cushions), but in the last year I ordered a really cool (I think, lol) group of things to hang on my home office wall. They are large photographs of books silk screened on plexiglass---sounds weird, but I love them. One arrived damaged--- I emailed them a picture of the damage and a replacement promptly showed up.

• jake577105
    7 years ago

I ordered a rug and they kept delaying delivery and delaying delivery. They said it would ship in a week then another week, etc., etc., They were not willing to make any restitution other than an apology and finally after three months, I cancelled the order. I don't think I would do business with a company with so little regard for customer satisfaction.

• peaches12345
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Which company were you unhappy with, jake?

I have ordered 3 times from Grandin Road and been very happy with all items. One was a small cabinet for our powder room and next was bar stools for our kitchen. Love them both- exactly as they advertised, the color of the leather on the stools was the exact color as shown online and best of all no assembly needed! Everywhere else I had looked online required assembly. The last time was a front door mat, also a great purchase, thick and durable. Delivery was quick on all items.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I ordered a filing cabinet from Home Decorators. There was no way I was going to find something like that in a walk-in store, it was white painted wood and country style, I needed it to also work as a bedside table in the guest room/tiny office. It had to be assembled, but SO is a carpenter and he did it. He cussed a lot and said it wasn't manufactured very well. But he made it work and it has held up and served its purpose. I think it was a lot of particle board, but it was only a small two drawer cabinet so not that much stress on it, so it held up fine, and looked GREAT. No significant damage in shipping. I have no regrets, I didn't expect fine furniture, but it looked good and not like some really cheap shoddy thing.

• bkw79
    7 years ago

Would like to know where those rugs were ordered from that got such a poor review. I just called Grandin Road because I was very interested in a rug which showed delivery not until Jan 2017. There is a shipping charge, you must pay to return ship and there is a 10% restocking fee. I love the look of this rug but find the 4 month wait highly unusual and was never quite given a proper response as to why the delay. I asked if it was coming directly from Belgium where it's manufactured and phone person said yes! Really? So I was left thinking I may go back to Rugs Direct...seem sketchy. Why advertise this rug if it's not available.?

• oreagano
    6 years ago

I ordered a vanity from Home Decorators and have not been pleased with it. The paint they used must be a bad quality as it is yellowing. After looking closely, I also noticed a few spots that were discolored - almost like something was spilled or dripped on the base. I would not spend the money for the quality. It was expensive and I don't think quality reflects the price.

• alesdeb
    4 years ago
    It cannot be published to the website, but.. —

Jebsie,

Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!

Submit something new

Thanks again,
    Grandin Road

Poor customer service
    I purchased two Nantucket Rocking chairs. One was perfect on arrival and the other chair arrived two days later with the back broken. I was told they would not replace it until I shipped the damaged one back and upon receipt they would process the replacement, of course they would ship a replacement immediately if I wanted to pay for another one. So, I shipped it back. Clearly against the paperwork they refunded instead of replaced leaving me with one rocker on my porch. I had to call in and order another one. And strangely enough I received a replacement rocking chair that looked to be poorly repaired in exactly the same spots as the damaged one I sent back. At this point I am still waiting for a replacement...I would think twice before purchasing from Grandin Road
  • Barbara Tidwell
    3 years ago

This company has the worst customer service I have ever come across! Spare yourself and find something else!

• kay
    2 years ago

Absolutely the worst company. Borderline scam company. Never ever order from them. I had the worst experience ordering from them. Ordered three chairs, each had a different tracking number. Three arrived, one damaged. I called to enquire what they would do about the damaged one and to ask where my fourth missing chair was. I got the run around for weeks! They said they would trace the tracking number for the 4th chair. When I tracked it with UPS it showed they never shipped it.

I called them and more excuses and run around. All the while they kept my money. They refused to do anything about it! I had to dispute the charge with my credit card company. I shipped the three chairs back via UPS.

After I disputed the charge, Grandin Road then tried to refund me for 2 chairs. Makes no sense at all! They are a Scam company

• Marianne Gannon
    2 years ago

Wow I was about to order a sofa - two chairs and an ottoman I love the look but I keep reading reviews that are really unfavorable thank you for taking the time for leaving these reviews.

• Michelle Twito
    2 years ago

This is the couch I wanted too

• Michele Darden
    last year

I was hoping to find a sofa quickly for my daughter, who moved into her first apartment couchless. Before ordering the Ava, I called Grandin Road to ask about availability and was told that the blue sofa was in stock and would be the quickest to ship. Once I placed the order, I was given a delivery window of December 6-13. Each time I checked the order status the estimated delivery date was postponed. I called customer service to ask about the order status and, each time, was told the sofa would ship out that day. However, the order status continued to show as "in process" with a new delayed delivery date. I then found a sofa locally that was in stock and available to deliver the same day, so I used the Grandin road chat feature to cancel the order. The chat agent said they would email the warehouse about the cancellation. The next day, the order status still showed as "in process" with a new delayed delivery date. I then called Grandin road to cancel the order again with the same results. After canceling by phone the second time, I received a text message saying my order had shipped. I emailed Grandin road to let them know I had canceled the order, and the next day they charged my credit card for the sofa I had canceled four times. When I asked for a refund, I was told they would request one, but it could take a few weeks. Thankfully my credit card company was willing to reverse the charge, as I don't have confidence that grandin road would have handled the refund any better than they handled the order or cancelation. I am also relieved not to own a product from them. I recommend something other than Grandin road.

• johncbarrett5
    last year

I purchase online because there is not a store close to me so I called and asked about ordering and if the item isn't to my standards, would I be able to return and the answer was absolutely, so I placed the order got it quickly and of course it was not something we wanted to keep, which is where the problem starts.

Sure they absolutely said they would issue me a refund once they got the product back. That was the problem after 4 phone calls and a month NOTHING yet, so I finally had to call my credit card company (because if they don't pick it up they don't have to credit you - spoke to a manger before I called Chase and he did NOTHING but lip Service so don't bother buying anything from them, unless you want to keep it LOL

• Jules Kellogg
    7 days ago

Do not order from Grandin Road, they do not allow you to return faulty merchandise. I spent over $550 on outdoor side tables that they said were for outdoors. They peeled terribly and will not allow me to return then even though it hasn't been a season.