Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
legomom23

Looking for perfect luggage

legomom23
9 years ago

Any suggestions? Looking for lightweight, streamline rolling duffel with lots of compartments for organizing. Must also have handles that make it easy to carry when not rolling. Needs to carry enough clothes for month long travels.
Is there such a thing?
She's specific in that it's lightweight like a duffel, but has the wheels when you need them.
Thanks!

Comments (13)

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Lipault makes a great rolling duffel that is lightweight and great looking. They are everywhere in Europe. If you are going for a month, presumably you'll be having laundry done at a hotel or pick up service, so a really big case or duffel won't be necessary. The season you travel will also inform the size of your luggage, as will your itinerary......sightseeing in August in Oz (winter clothes).....winter deb balls in Vienna (gowns and a velvet cloak)......African safari in August (summer clothes)....

IT Luggage has a very lightweight 21" carry on that is only 4.2 lbs. We bought one for each of our boys for Christmas in anticipation of upcoming travel and they seem to be happy with them. They're lined in bright orange, which makes it easier to see and find things.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

LLBean's extra-large rolling duffle, 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I'd also get a smaller carry on shoulder bag, which you can put over the handle of the duffle bag, so that the bottom of the carry-on bag sits on top of the duffle, when rolling,

Another tip: roll your clothes when packing to get more in the bag, and they don't wrinkle when you roll them.

Here is a link that might be useful: LLBean rolling duffle bag

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

One thing to remember with a rolling duffle is that the clothes that you've so carefully packed will all slide to the bottom when you start wheeling it by the handle. It seems to happen more with a duffle than a traditional suitcase.

There are a few ways to handle this - buy one with many compartments and interior straps to keep the clothes in place; roll the clothes as Tibbrix suggested; or use packing cubes.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Wheels add weight making it more likely that you'll need to roll it instead of carrying it. Compartments add weight, too.

What kind of traveling does she do? Business or pleasure? Clothing requirements are different with business so my suggestion may not work as well for that.

I say go with a lightweight suitcase-style backpack. Not a hiking backpack but one that opens up all the way with a zipper like a suitcase.

I've traveled for 3-4 weeks at a shot with a 2.5# backpack like this. Ultra lightweight packing cubes keep me organized. And then buy some great travel clothes. I love Eddie Bauer's Travex line but there are others out there. I can roll these clothes up as tight as can be, organize them in a cube, and the few wrinkles they get fall out within just a short time. If I think they need it, I just hang them in the bathroom while showering. They also wash and dry in the sink and look great without needing any kind of ironing. And they easily dry overnight.

Then pack super-light. I've never seen a need to bring more than 3 bottoms, 4-5 tops, 3 underwear, 3 socks. When they wash and dry so quickly and easily, no need to send them out and you always have clean clothes.

Minimize toiletries. I purchased some super-small containers (1/2 oz and 1 oz) from The Container Store and then filled them up. While at home, I put a piece of paper on my bathroom counter and then listed the different contents. Each day I used them, I put a hashmark. Some items lasted for about 35-40 days before I emptied the container. You usually need a lot less than you think. The only thing I needed in a 2 oz. size was my Dr. Bonner's which I use for bathing, washing hair, and washing my clothes. It's very concentrated so you only need a few drops.

My bag typically weighs about 11-12# if I'm traveling in warmer weather; about 15-16# if traveling in winter. And I use only the one bag. Inside it, I do pack a tiny, lightweight bag that I use for daytrips/sightseeing at my destination.

It's great to travel all day carrying all my luggage if needed while in transit and have it not be heavy, big and in the way, or any kind of hassle.

If she decides to get the suitcase-style backpack, be sure to look for a narrow one, one that is only as wide as she is or even narrower. This way you can walk down narrow plane and train aisles, or in busy streets, without bonking people.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Instead of getting a bag with lots of compartments---which is the opposite concept of a duffel---- she might try using different sizes of packing cubes from a company like Eagle creek. They are extremely lightweight parachute cloth and keep your clothes wrinkle free and far more accessible than with other packing methods. For instance, instead of pawing through a case full of rolled or folded clothing to find a pair of slacks, you need only take out the zippered cube that holds your slacks. The cylindrical "cubes" are perfect for underclothing and fit very nicely into recesses along the sides of a bag. And with the packing cubes and the right stacking, the clothes are actually facing "up" when in a rolling duffel.

Even when I lived I Europe I never used a backpack because it is hot and wrinkles your blouse or jacket and usually ruins the look of an outfit --- but of course I wasn't on a backpacking holiday.

Having laundry sent out is a necessary and worthwhile expense on a very long trip!

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Eagle Creek! I was trying to remember the name of the brand of the lightweight packing cubes I have and was too lazy to get up and go look. There are lots of brands but those are the lightest weight I could find and I love the way you can see through them as it helps you find what you're looking for.

Re backpacks wrinkling your clothes: not if you buy good travel clothes that don't wrinkle. And the nicer suitcase-style backpacks don't look like a traditional backpack. Mine is a rectangle with no bulky pockets. Unfortunately, they now only make it in a size that I think is too big. But heavier packers might need that extra size. The bigger one is still within carry-on standards. If interested, check out the Timbuktu Wingman. Mine is a smaller version no longer made.

Washing clothes yourself while traveling is easy and saves the hassle of laundry service. We are usually on the move a lot so that doesn't work for us. We typically get in the shower with our clothes on, scrub the clothes when on, then take off and push to the side away from the drain so you can clean yourself off without your own body's dirt and oils, etc., getting on the clothes, then hold the clothes under the shower for few moments, scrubbing them by rubbing them against themselves a bit, then rinse. Squeeze out excess water. Then roll them up in a towel. Then hang to dry. I bring a clothesline that is made out of two rubber/stretchy cords twisted together. You can poke the clothes in without needing clothes pins. If you poke the armpit of your shirt in to hold it up, any wrinkles it makes won't show. But the better travel clothes shouldn't wrinkle at all even then. Or you can drape things over the clothes line if you have enough length open.

Of course, if staying in a hostel with limited shower time, you can then wash the clothes in the sink. It just takes a few minutes longer.

Sorry but I'm kinda passionate about this. We typically travel about 3-4 weeks a year, usually by train in-country, and we have never wished we had brought more luggage. In fact, I'm working on getting it even more compact and lighter. It makes traveling so much more fun for us by packing light. We can even enjoy the excitement of a tuk-tuk or lift on Vespas this way without worrying about where to stow the luggage.

Of course, we all have different travel styles so what works for us may not work for someone else. That's cool. I just want to inform of a great option if someone is open to trying it out.

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

I want Hermione's bag for traveling!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Lol, funky camper, I meant that the backpack would wrinkle the clothes one is actually wearing and spoil the look of that outfit. A backpack would only complement very casual or rustic clothing.

You do seem very passionate about your travel style but washing ones clothes in a shower does seem a tad extreme, even for the Rick Steves crowd :-). Laundry down to almost any front desk by 9 am is returned by 5 or 6 pm, so time should really not be a factor.

I have heard other people say they travel with few outer garments but a supply of underwear for each day, which is then discarded along the way to avoid doing laundry. I can't help{{gwi:807}} but feel sorry for their hotel chambermaids!

Adding that I agree with Terriks, I want a Hermione bag too!

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by kswl on Sat, Dec 27, 14 at 2:18

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Well, I did mean the outfit you are wearing, too. If it's a wrinkle-free item, a backpack won't wrinkle it. :) My clothes aren't particularly casual and definitely not rustic. For example, I might be going around in the daytime in black slacks, simple black top, and merino cardigan with a geometric print. A change of shoes and addition of jewelry and I could go to dinner in all but the nicest of restaurants and not look out of place. And not a wrinkle in sight either, LOL.

We tend to stay in hostels and other lodgings that don't offer such efficient laundry service. I've timed myself and it takes about an extra 5 minutes at night to wash the clothes. I think if my lodging did supply laundry service, it would take longer than that to drop off/pick up? Maybe, maybe not. Haven't tried it. I'd rather save the money for that nice dinner.

Underwear dries the fastest! So that plan doesn't make sense to me. I've heard people doing the same with clothes. Wearing until dirty then leaving it behind. The theory is that they can then fill the space this leaves in their travel bag with souvenirs. I spend too much on good travel clothes to consider that and my souvenirs tend to be just my photos.

Whatever works for ya. There's not a wrong way to travel, just travel. That's my motto.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Legomom,

Looks like the TLS Motherload Jr. might be your best bet for
    her.

Hopefully you will find something that suits her needs!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebags

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I love this LLBean bag. I bought it to use as a carry-on but they had both larger and smaller size iirc. I love it because of the compartments; a fairly good size one on each side (I use for lotion, deodorant, umbrella, etc), 1 zipper compartment on the outside flap and 1 mesh zipper compartment on the inside of the flap. I am amazed at how much stuff I can pack in this bag. My other go-to bag is a TravelPro I have had for years. They really hold up. But I bought DH a lightweight Samsonite to use for long trips and he has been very satisfied with it.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I love those packing cubes. I used three of them on my trip to Italy and they were lifesavers. I kept pants on one, shirts on another and toiletries in the third. The clothes stayed fairly wrinkle free and it mostly eliminated the need to paw through the bag to find what I was looking for.

My niece is in the second year of a round the world trip. She swears by a backpack that has wheels so it can be rolled or carried.

I've never been a fan of duffels because everything gets smooshed. Different people like different things (now that is an original comment), so get what she wants, but throw in a set of packing cubes..

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Ditto the packing cubes. I meant to add that in my post. I wasn't really a big fan originally but the latest light, thin parachute cloth in so many sizes has me converted. I found some great deals on Backcountry.com several times. Must be discontinued colors or sets. Anyway worth checking out.

I have to say, I am not a huge fan of the backpack with wheels simply because of the dirty wheels and extra weight the wheels add. I have one and seldom use it. I would much rather have my larger bag be on wheels and have a backpack or tote for one of my smaller items to have a free hand.

Another key thing to look for in any bag is cinch straps. Many duffers do not have them. My LLBean bag does and so does an Eagle Creek bag I have.

As for doing hand laundry...I have washed out undies, socks, knit shirts and such rather than pay exorbitant London hotel prices for their services. This was when I was traveling there a lot for extended stays and mostly wearing business clothes, which I did send out once. Ouch on the dry cleaning bill! Twelve pounds (around $16) for a shirt or pair of pants isn't worth it. Packing a bit of liquid detergent and doing small things myself was easy.