Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jstell2008_gw

Best Down Alternative Comforter

Danahills
9 years ago

I have been using a down comforter, but have an allergy to down...... I would love some opinions on the best down alternative comforters that are light weight and 'comfortable' to sleep with. I have found good reviews on Sheex Down Alternative. Anyone have one of these, or what is your favorite light weight, down Lternative comforter? Thanks for your help.

Comments (33)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd get a wool-filled comforter.

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

I wish I had a down comforter. But instead, I layer. Microfleece blankets topped with a polyfill comforter. And on top, I have a couple of different afghans my mom made for me- one is a double sided that is super plush and warm. So my top pick for a non-down is a double sided afghan.
    Nice part about the layers is that my hubby runs hot, I run cold, and we can layer up or not as needed.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, BeesNeeds, 86 the fleece and polyester! That is why you're hubby is hot and you are cold. Fleece and poly, being that they don't breathe, will make a hot sleeper miserable and sweat; and for the same reasons, it will make a cold sleeper feel cold.

Want a really good night sleep, for both of you? Have only 100% wool, 100% cotton, or wool/cotton blends on your bed. Wool and cotton are temperature regulators and breath, so they use your body heat to keep you warm or cool. They are absolutely worth the expense.

A friend of mine is from Denmark. She makes up her beds-for-two by putting a sheet and thin blanket, appropriate to the season - so cotton for the warmer months, wool for the cooler months - in the queen or king size, depending on the size of the bed, and then on top of that, she places twin blankets and quilts, again, cotton and/or wool, so that each adult can have the layering that keeps them most comfortable while still sharing the bed.

• Danahills
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have read about wool comforters on GW before and how much people love them. Are they heavy? I am uncomfortable with a lot of weight on me at night. That's why I just hate giving up my down.....

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

jstell, that is a very hard question to answer because "heavy" is relative. Are they heavier than a down comforter? Yes; than polyester fill? yes. But would I describe mine as "heavy"? No. But see, what I don't think is heavy, you may. That's one of those things that is very selective and personal to each person.

I've just become an advocate for all-cotton and all-wool bedding because, the difference in comfort since I went that route is really unbelievable because of their temperature regulating properties.

I would think, though, that any wool-filled comforter you look at would have its weight listed in the specs.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

My DD who also has some issues with using down, swears by a down-alternative blanket she found at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

I use a silk filled duvet. Light and warm.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I bought a wool comforter based on Tibbrix's recommendation and love it. I had a pricey down alternative before and I always woke up hot. With the wool, I am warm-- as in comfortable/warm, but not at all hot.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

We've purchased several alternative down comforters from the Company Store for ourselves and our children and we've been very happy with them.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

sas, isn't in amazing the difference it makes? I always kind of shrugged off the "Cotton and wool are temperature regulators" thingâ¦until I decided to actually see for myself. And boy, what a difference. They really are.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Is there any advantage to a wool comforter over a wool blanket?

• sas95
    9 years ago

Our wool comforter is quilted, so it's "airier" than a wool blanket. Plus with the cotton cover you don't come in direct contact with the wool.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Here is one testimonial with explanations, re: wool comforters v. down. You'll have to click on a link to get to the update and her final decision re: wool v. down in comforters. But I'm linking it because I think it's a very thorough and accurate description.

Here is a link that might be useful: wool v. down

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

graywings, that's a really good question. I think the difference is that, with a comforter, the batting and quilting allows the comforter to generate more warmth as the body heat circulates through the wool fill but doesn't really escape it. That's why, in the spring and early fall, I use wool or cotton blankets, and then when the temp gets to @ 40 or 50, I pull out my wool comforter with cotton cover. @ 40, I change the cotton percale cover for a flannel cover for added warmth. If the temp gets frigid, i.e.; 20s or lower, I either add a wool blanket on top of the wool comforter, or I pull the down comforter out and put a flannel duvet cover on it. But I sleep in a cold room - no heat, windows open, pretty much year round. Only time I close the windows is if the outside temp gets into the teens or single digits.

• kimberlyrkb
    9 years ago

I have a wool comforter. It's mostly too warm for me unless I sleep in just a tshirt - and it was only 12 degrees here last night. (I am not in menopause, so no hot flashes, and during the day I wear 3-4 layers so I stay warm enough.) The biggest downside for me is they aren't washable. I have pets who sleep on the bed during the day so I always have to keep the comforter covered with a couple of layers of other blankets until I go to bed. Airing it outside is often suggested but I can't do that where I live.

• Danahills
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, I am going to look at wool and alternative comforters. Yesterday, I took my down comforter off my bed, washed the sheets, and put on some other blankets I had, acrylic/polyester/whatever they are made out of. They were sooooo heavy. I have some foot problems and the weight drove me crazy. I threw them off the bed in the middle of the night, and put my down comforter back on. Today, I have 'allergy eyes' and am all stuffed up. I am looking at reviews online, and then heading to BB&B with my 20% coupon to see what they have. Thanks for your help.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you have foot problems, get some good wool socks, wear those to bed, and don't tuck in the comforter, and sleep directly under the comforter, no sheets. That way, the comforter will not be heavy or restrictive on your feet, and you can even sleep with your feet sticking out of the comforter.

• Danahills
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibbrix for all your help. I sleep in a cold room and my feet are always cold. Also, I have some physical problems with my feet and the toes on my right foot ache with weight on them. I already wear wool socks with a pair of home made fleece booties over them..... I am really going to look at a wool comforter. I remember when I was young, sleeping in a room with ice on the inside of the windows, using a big quilt made out of wool squares and wool filling (?) and feeling very warm. The wool idea brings back memories.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ha! when I was a kid, we had a vacation home in NH, and the kids' bedroom was upstairs and was unfinished. We called it "The unfinished room." No heat .The nails holding the roof tiles on came through into the room, and in the mornings, the tips of the nails would have teeny white balls of ice/frost on them. We slept in those Army green sleeping bags with the red flannel lining (which was wool-filled) with the cowgirl pictures on them! Lol. Getting out of bed was VERY hard, but we were toasty warm in those sleeping bags

• Danahills
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, Any suggestions about where to get a nice wool comforter? Do you remember scratching your name in the ice on the inside of the windows during the winter? I grew up in MA in a house that was heated by an oil stove. I also remember that it was difficult to get up in the mornings because of the cold. I like my central heat and air so much.........

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I got mine at Costco, same one as the woman's in the link I provided. Don't know if they have them anymore.

Maybe Sas can tell you where she got hers. I'd look at Natura's ( see link below). I like their products, pricey as they are. I have their Ultimate latex pillow and the wool-filled mattress pad.

But I'd also do some shopping around.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natura wool-filled comforter

• sas95
    9 years ago

I got a Nature's Comfort wool comforter. The best price I found was on Flobeds.com. I got my wool mattress cover from Flobeds, too, and they are good to deal with.

Holy Lamb Organics also makes nice ones, but they are significantly pricier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nature's Comfort

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

jstell, here is a link with reviews and a price to the Natura wool-filled comforter. I'm kind of surprised by the price. I would have thought it would be more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natura wool comforter/Wayfair

• Danahills
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your help. I think I will try the wool. If it doesn't work out, I will try something else. Right now, wool sounds like it will be great. I was thinking about a cotton flannel duvet cover??? Wool and cotton???

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

jstell, I was actually going to come in today to suggest you get a flannel duvet cover! The wool comforter will not, on its own, be as warm as your down comforter, esp. if the down was winter weight. A "winter weight" wool comforter would be too heavy. So yes, I would definitely get a flannel duvet cover for it for the winter (I have two LL Bean flannel duvet covers, the simple solid ones, and love them). Garnet Hill also has wonderful flannel. Wool and cotton are great together as, again, both breathe.

• Danahills
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was thinking about down again and realize my cats do not like sleeping on my down comforter. But, if I put a cotton blanket on the bed, they use that. They will be in heaven with a wool comforter covered with cotton flannel!! I may have to fight them for the bed......

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh yes they will! When I've got dogs here, they just curl up on my flannel covered comforter and are in heaven. Of course, I can't move, butâ¦

They do when I use my down quilt as well, though! But yes, the wool (and the down) is great for animals because they generate heat through their stomachs and need heat to circulate in order to stay warm, so again, natural (cotton, wool, down, straw) is the way to go for animals too!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I use a wool mattress pad, which was life changing as far as quality of sleep goes, and live in the deep south. It keeps me cool. I use a sheet and only the duvet cover unless it gets down to the 60s, then I layer with a quilt.

So, I have a guest room that is quite cool right now but no cooler than 65ish. Would the wool duvet/comforter be too much? Would it still help regulate temperature or would a wool blanket inside the duvet cover be a better option for my warm climate?
    For reference, I have a cotton sheet and cotton blanket on there now with latex topper and it was fine for me, but I'm hot most of the time. I'm looking for something for normal people ;)

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Are you sure it's the down you are allergic to? I always thought I was allergic to wool, but it turns out I am only allergic to the mites that live in the wool. If I toss the wool in the dryer or shake it out really well, I'm fine.

• Danahills
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not sure it's the down, but I wake up with allergy eyes and a stuffed up nose most mornings. So I am going to try something else to see if it makes a difference. I can wear wool and cotton with no problems..... Also, we live in a climate that is very dry and my doctor has told me in the past that we do not have dust mites because of our climate..... I guess I could go and be tested for down allergy. Maybe I should do that. AFTER the holidays. Happy Holidays everyone. I wish all of you peace, health and happiness in the coming year.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I have dust mite allergy and I just put my down comforter in the hot dryer every time I change my sheets (as well as my down pillows) and it makes a big difference in allergy symptoms. I'd try that, along with putting it in a duvet cover, before replacing it. Sleeping under down is so comfy.

• Danahills
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Olychick, You are so right about the comfort of down. That's why I have been so reluctant to change. Maybe I will try a duvet cover and then the hot dryer to see if that works before I invest in a wool comforter. Thanks all

• autumn.4
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

sas95-any update after using it through the winter? What is you climate? I hope I didn't miss that.

I am looking at purchasing one but don't know which weight I should choose. I live in MI - COLD long winters. Is all season enough do you think? I don't think I'd want the heavy weight but it's hard to choose and they are too pricey to just take a stab at it.

Thanks in advance. I know I resurrected an older thread. I thought it better to do that than start a new one since this one had some good info. in it already.