Houzz Logo Print
awm03

Your favorite Christmas/Holiday music?

awm03
10 years ago

I just can't get enough of the Roches' fabulous harmonies:

Star of Wonder

Wokkin' inna Wintah Wundahlannn

Anybody else listening to some good stuff?

Comments (25)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Links don't work on tablets. I will listen when I can get on the Mac. I do like the Roches a lot.

• awm03
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting re links. Is that true for both Android & IOS?

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

My all time faves.....Merry Christmas Darling (Carpenters), Christmas Song (Nat King Cole), Sleigh Ride (Boston Pops), Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Judy Garland).....I'll Be a Home For Christmas and White Christmas....guess I'm old school....I've never heard of the Roches but will check them out.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Check out the Pentatonix singing Little Drummer Boy on YouTube....terrific acapella group.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Not all links, awm- the ones you posted gave me the message that the owner did not make them available on mobile (I was on my iPad). Sometimes, I get the message that something requires Flash which is not available to my iPad either. Sigh. I will watch later on the computer, promise!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

The Roches Hallelujah Chorus is one of my all time favorite things they sing. When you see them sing it in person, you cannot believe it is just 3 voices doing all that harmony.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roches Hallelujah Chorus

This post was edited by olychick on Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 17:33

• awm03
    Original Author
    10 years ago

olychick, that video gave me chills, it was so powerful a performance. AnnieD., I'm forwarding the Pentatonix link to my youngest DS. He loves a capella groups, and formed one in college to sing in.

• golddust
    10 years ago

John Lennon's 'Happy Christmas'. The Vietnam Nam War was impressionable because so many of my close friends died in that war. I noticed that the poor people were fighting the rich mans war so I became involved at a young age.

I walked house to house to bring the right to vote down from 21 to 18 years old - the age one could be drafted if there wasn't the money for College. It was my first but far from last, concept that we can make change. I'm not done yet. Lol.

• begoniagirl
    10 years ago

Rufus Wainwright is also related to the Roches. Such an extremely talented family and something so unique about blood-related vocals and harmonies.

• annac54
    10 years ago

Love to listen to both Josh Groban and Jewel. They have great versions of my favorite holiday song, O Holy Night.

Will check out the links. Always like to hear new (to me) music.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm a sucker for the melody O come, o come Emmanuel. Those minor keys really get to me. Here The Piano Guys version.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I have a Pandora station full of country Christmas songs. I'm a country girl. I also love the classics like Nat, Bing, Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, etc.

My favorite Christmas song is Breath of Heaven by Amy Grant.

I will also check out the music in the above posts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Song

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Ahhhhh... I remember them as the Roche Sisters...that's what threw me....big Rufus Wainwright fan....saw him in concert 2 years ago...it was sheer torture for DH!

• User
    10 years ago

My favorite is the old traditional stuff.

I like Amy Grant's Christmas stuff. My mom would play that a lot growing up.

Barlowgirl - Oh Holy Night & Hallelujah. I like most of Barlowgirl's music in general.
    Oh Holy Night (sorry I don't remember how to add clickable links)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28hLkm38mK4

I like instrumental Christmas music too - Celtic Christmas by Carlyle Fraser.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barlowgirl Hallelujah

This post was edited by sheesharee on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 11:53

• teacats
    10 years ago

Holiday Dance Music:

a)The Tractors: Rockin This Christmas

b)The Tractors: Santa Claus is Comin' in a Boogie Woogie Choo Choo Train

TRUST ME!!! -- Turn these tunes way up -- Get Up and Dance! LOL! :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Annie, love the PianoGuys arrangement. They are wonderful at every song they do!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

My favorite Christmas CD is the Brian Setzer Orchestra "Boogie Woogie Christmas" which is great big band sound. I have been a huge fan of Brian since his time with the Stray Cats.

• kiki_thinking
    10 years ago

David bowie and bing crosby doing little drummer boy.

• golddust
    10 years ago

OMG. Annie. The Piano guys music is awesome. That Video reminded me of my Mom. She was such an inspiration to me. Thank you.

• teacats
    10 years ago

More Holiday Dance Music:

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy: Rockabilly Christmas

• User
    10 years ago

I'm normally very traditional for Christmas music and I prefer religious. The rest is more like "winter music" to me. I like it, it's just my preference.
    Never heard of the Roches.
    I love listening to Bing, Nat King Cole, but my favorite Christmas album ever is a fairly new one by Dan Fogelberg called First Christmas Morning.

Annie I recently heard Pentatonix for the first time singing Little Drummer Boy and I'm hooked on them. When listening to them I noticed the Piano Guys and their awesome too!

Here is a link that might be useful: First Christmas Morning by Dan Fogelberg full album

• sable_ca
    10 years ago

Handel's Messiah! Listening to it right now on an LP, with the London Philharmonic. Gives me chills.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Justgotabme, I love that Dan Fogelberg album! Thanks for the link. It is now added to my iTunes!

Merry merry.

• User
    10 years ago

sable ca, we love Handel's Messiah too. It's an amazing work of art.

I'm so glad you liked Dan's music cyn427 He was such a talented man. His death a little over six years ago was broke my heart. I've been a huge fan since I saw him in concert in '74 when he opened for the Eagles. I went out the next morning and bought both his albums and have followed him every since. Here's a link that should play his last full album that he worked on as he was dying from prostate cancer. His wife and friends worked mixing his work together for over a year after he passed. The last song was his good bye. It ends with the same notes the first song on his first album started with.
    Home Free:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6zZihdU0sI
    To open the above link highlight it, right click and chose open in new tab.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dan Fogelberg Love In Time

• Faron79
    10 years ago

I like lotsa different stuff....
    from AC/DC's "Mistress for Christmas", to ANGELS' "The Winter song" (a late 70's-early 80's Glam-rock group), to Frank Sinatra, to Enya, to Twisted-Sister, to many of the other classics.

One song I CANNOT STAND is that idiotic "hippopotamus for....".
    I turn the station as fast as I can when that drivel comes on!

Faron

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH