Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeinohio

Dispute with Pottery Barn-Am I wrong?

deeinohio
9 years ago

I recently placed a $500 plus order with Pottery Barn. I had not even received the order (and part was back ordered) when I received an email showing several of the items I ordered were significantly marked down. The difference would have been around 50 or 60 dollars.

I called to get an adjustment and was told (after a 20 minute wait and a curt service agent) their policy had changed and they no longer do that. They offered to cancel the order. I told them I would never ask for an adjustment on something I had already used, but I hadn't even received the items, and felt this was very short-sighted on their part.

Part of my problem is I paid with gift cards since I try to minimize my credit card use on the Internet, so even returning the items would result in a merchandise credit, not cash.

I followed through with an email to Customer Service, who sent me a canned response stating the same policy. I know it was canned because I inadvertently sent the same email twice and received answers from two different people.

I have vowed not to shop again at PB. Meanwhile, Best Buy gave me a $70 credit under the same circumstances.

Was I wrong to be upset?

Comments (58)

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

I just spook to customer service...
    As of one month ago this new policy came into effect.
    Can you say "just in time for Christmas"...

By the way customer service is very rude and dismissive.

Cancel cancel cancel.....
    Sell your gift cards or re-gift them..
    Avoid shopping there and post like he!! about it ..

I've never dealt with such poor customer service.

This post was edited by forboystoo on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 15:19

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

I had a bad in store customer service experience with Pottery Barn a few months ago but thought it was an aberration.

A few days ago I placed an online order for a back ordered piece of merchandise.

After reading this thread, I just called PB and cancelled the order.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Customer service actually told me that I could cancel then re-order at sale price ...
    What ??

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I'm glad you posted. Although I don't buy much from PB (at least not a lot of $$ worth), it is good to know they have changed policies.

I tried to order on-line from a local department store chain last night. Not much, but just a couple of things to save me from having to go to the store to purchase and they were having a 25% off sale on almost everything. I couldn't log-in and the link to my shopping cart wouldn't work! Until this morning when the sale was off. They have just said, 'oh, we were experiencing a high volume, we are so sorry.' That's it.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Beagles had a good point about using social media.

. I once could not get a cancelled magazine subscription to stop billing me. Once I asked why on the magazine's Facebook page, I was contacted and the bills stopped.

ML

• Joe
    9 years ago

Dee,
    IMO, your inquiry was reasonable. PB frequently makes their customer feel taken advantage of. And yes, they have strict policies regarding use of rewards certs and PB credit cards.

Recent example: DD and DSIL are building a new home. DH and I are assisting with furnishings. DD was excited to receive an email from PB the night before our shopping trip re: '20% off on all in store items'. Long story short... You MIGHT POSSIBLY get 20% off if you stand on one foot, touch your nose AND count to 100 backwards. Seriously, the business practices cited were absurd! Secretly, I'm happy DD witnessed their marketing ploys in person.

We proceeded to a local custom furniture store where she purchased a double pedestal dining table, one large LR chair and 2 accent chairs for a nook. Send a message with your feet or finger(s), haha.

~bgj

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

billygoatjoe, I don't understand what your experience was in PB. The 20% off everything in the store is rather explicit; are you saying the sale wasn't as described? I've only had good experiences with PB so I'm surprised to see this and other negative experiences.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I ordered 2 rugs from Pottery Barn. When they came, I only opened one and decided it was enough. I called customer service about returning the other rug. I was told that as long as it was in the original wrapping and had not been opened, I should just take it to the UPS store and tell them that I declined to accept it. It was then shipped back to PB and everything I had paid, including shipping, was refunded.

Now, I didn't figure this out on my own. PB customer service told me exactly what to do. You might consider contacting them and asking if you can simply decline to accept the package. If you can, and get all of your money back, including shipping, you can reorder all of your items at the sale price.

Worth a shot.

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have to admit that, up until this situation, I had pleasant customer relations with PB. But, forboystoo, you hit the nail on the head. More than the money, they acted as though a customer spending $500 on "stuff", not even furniture, was expendable, and the customer service person was very curt, not friendly as in the past. They even refused to make an adjustment on the backordered items, suggesting I cancel it.

I would have returned everything, except I would still have been left with gift cards. That's my fault for using gift cards, but it never bothered me before because I knew eventually I would use them. The return rate on getting your money back on an online order is at least 2 weeks, so I could not return and rebuy.

I have spent several thousand there this year outfitting our new lakehouse bedrooms and a light fixture, but I guess in the future I'll have to talk with my money.

Beagles, I don't have a Twitter account, but will seek out their Facebook page.

Thanks for the support from everyone.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Post on their Facebook page too. ;)

• Joe
    9 years ago

Funnygirl,
    DD was interested in the Benchwright dining table and bench. Sales Associate states, "I need to ask about the discount because they change all the time". "No, the Benchwright is the most popular dining table, no discount available."

DD then asked about the Lincoln armchair in one of the quickship/select fabrics. "I need to ask about the discount" routine again. "No, they also take a look at the inventory in stock, there has to be a certain level of stock in house to be eligible for this discount".

DD did end up getting a large rug and bed linens with the discount. I don't mind policies, but I don't appreciate being lured (email touting 20% in store discount) to a vendor under false pretense.
    ~bgj

• Mimou-GW
    9 years ago

I know exactly how you feel. I ordered from Villeroy and Boch on 12/1. My order is still "processing" and the sale price is now lower than the cyber Monday deal but they don't make price adjustments. It wouldn't be so bad if my order had at least shipped.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Dee, if the price of an item you bought went up a week after you bought it, or while the items were on back order, would you feel obligated to pay the higher price, or would you be glad you bought them when you did?

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

Thanks, bgj. I understand your frustration and I wouldn't be happy either.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I think it is interesting (and not in a positive way) that back in the day (50s, 60s, 70s) stores would credit the difference if something went on sale within 30 days of purchase and do it routinely and without question when you brought your receipt. That was when stores were still owned and operated by families or family corporations. I am thinking of places like Strawbridge and Clothier (before it was bought out and became Strawbridge's), Wanamaker's, Best and Co. Now, huge corporations own multiple lines/stores, make huge profits, carry similar merchandise, and show little regard for their customers. There are some exceptions, of course, but I do think it is a less friendly atmosphere and one that considers the occasional consumer expendable. Hard to go up against the big guys. I think I would return the items for full refund and then reuse the gift cards to purchase at the sale price. I might even write the CEO afterwards to let him know how silly that whole process was since more of his/her employees will be putting out double effort for a smaller profit. Sheesh.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

My perception is different than Cyn's. I remember in the past that if you tried to return an item without a receipt or weren't happy with it after trying it, you were out of luck. If an item broke or didn't perform properly, you had to return it to the manufacturer. Now, most of the larger retailers (Costco, Sams, Walmart, Target, BB&B, Joann's, Ulta, etc, etc.) will accept returns for any reason. No receipt? No problem. Store credit. I've found them all to be happy to do an adjustment if an item goes on sale within 10 days or so of a purchase at regular price. I've often wondered how they make a profit with these policies but obviously they must result in customer loyalty. It is the smaller, family owned businesses that I find less likely to do the above. I don't blame them but I do find shopping the larger stores much easier when it comes to returns, exchanges, and price adjustments.

• amicus
    9 years ago

I hate when I buy something and it goes down in price shortly afterward, but I consider it a courtesy, not a right, to receive any price adjustment. But if one orders something and the price drops before the company even ships it out, or if it is on back order, I believe the customer should receive it for the reduced price.

Tibbrix, when you asked Dee if she would feel obligated to pay the increased price of something she bought a week earlier or something that was on back order, I don't think that scenario is comparable.

Perhaps the question might be "If you ordered something, then called back to say you needed to delay delivery (i.e. if you requested to halt delivery on a fridge until flooring was installed) how would you feel about the store charging you a price increase that occurred with that model during the time they were holding yours for you?" I wonder if that has happened to anyone.

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

I purchased an item intended to be a Christmas gift from Macy's on Black Friday. 2 weeks later it was cheaper. I went back to the store and they essentially returned the item and I repurchased. I saved $30 so the inconvenience was worth it to me. Your experience is the downside of online shopping. For you, I guess it depends on how much you want the item.

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Like cyn, I also grew up with a local department store (Lazarus), who always price matched their sale prices within 30 days. Often, the sales clerk would tell you to bring your receipt back after the sale started. Macy's, who bought out Lazarus, matches 14 days.

This policy is excellent customer service. Most people won't follow through, and those who do will not feel stupid for paying more than someone else for the same item. Customers will also be more inclined to shop outside sale dates if they have some protection for not overpaying, at least within the brief future.

And, Tibbrix, I do not think your argument is valid. If you wouldn't feel regret purchasing something today for $100 more for something put on sale tomorrow, that's great for you. I feel differently, particularly in a case like this, where I haven't even received the items. Retail is about the store attracting ME to buy their wares. They want something I have --money. If they treat me as expendable, i can find similar products elsewhere.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I did tons of online shopping recently ( outfitting a new home and also holiday shopping) and I did happen upon great sales but on other purchases I missed the discount by days.

It's enraging and in my case I was/still am too pressed for time to do the return and rebuy things, (specially if it involves a trip to the mall ) but I understand your frustration.

You are not wrong in your dispute but you do have the option of returning and rebuying, the merchants know very well that it is a small percentage of people who will bother to do that, oh yes they do....

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Yep, I agree. Most people will not bother, whether it is asking for an adjustment or returning and rebuying and the stores absolutely know that. To me, that would be another reason to adjust-not many will ask and wow, you will build loyalty.

• springroz
    9 years ago

Well, PB lost a customer here, too! I had a similar experience last time I bought anything from them, PLUS a couple of things on backorder for a year, and then the email saying they were no longer available.

Also, I don't know EXACTLY how they do this......but I placed a $600 order at W-S, and the NEXT DAY got a coupon in the mail for 15 or 20 % off! and the same with PB. They must have little mail elves........

• springroz
    9 years ago

Well, PB lost a customer here, too! I had a similar experience last time I bought anything from them, PLUS a couple of things on backorder for a year, and then the email saying they were no longer available.

Also, I don't know EXACTLY how they do this......but I placed a $600 order at W-S, and the NEXT DAY got a coupon in the mail for 15 or 20 % off! and the same with PB. They must have little mail elves........

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Dee, I didn't say you shouldn't regret having bought it a week before it went on sale. I'd be totally bummed. But that, to me, is a matter of "that's the way the cookie crumbles." You were willing to buy it at full price, proven by the fact that you placed the order. Should EVERYONE who bought that item within the last year, or two, or six monthsâ¦get a rebate on the price difference? Stores should just have sale prices all the time, in that case.

And again, it goes both ways. If you went online a week later and saw that they had RAISED the price of the item you'd bought, I seriously doubt that you'd call them and demand that you pay the price the item is THAT DAY. I also think you'd be furious if they contacted you and told you that the price of the item you bought a week ago and is on back order just went up, so they'll be charging your credit card the difference in the price. And you'd be correct to be furious about that because it was not the deal you made, the price you AGREED to on the day you bought it.

If you feel you should get the price of the item it is a week later, then it goes both ways: you should also agree to pay the higher price if it goes up.

Barring that, a store that refunds its customers the difference between the price they paid and the sale price is simply performing a COURTESY. But they do not OWE you that money.

Let's say you get your paycheck, and it's for the amount you agreed to be paid when you took the job. A week later, your boss announces that your pay has been cut, and it will be retroactive back to the prior week's paycheck. You'd gladly hand the difference over??? I doubt it.

I think the problem is that you're only seeing this from your own perspective, not that of the other side's. When you paid for those items, you entered into a contract, an agreement, about the price that they were that day. Period. Anything beyond, you are not entitled to or responsible forâ¦meaning, a rebate if the item goes on sale, or paying the difference if the price of the item is raised.

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, I think you are arguing a different aspect--entitlement. You are right; PB can have whatever policy they choose. And I can choose not to buy there again. It is good customer service versus legality. I am not legally entitled to a price difference; however I question the intelligence of a customer-unfriendly policy by a company selling non-essential decorating items. This is bad customer service, and I reiterate: They need me (and all those like me and our money) more than I need them.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'm not arguing a legality. I'm arguing a good-faith basis. The customer is not always right. And I have to disagree. Your argument is that you are entitled to the price difference (while, again, I'm assuming you would NOT feel obligated to pay the difference if the price ROSE a week later), and you're twisting their arms by declaring you won't shop there again (your right, of course) if you don't get your way.

So my question is, at what point do you accept that the price you agreed to pay is the price you pay? A month? After you've received the items? A year?

IMO, the appropriate response to seeing a price drop is to call and ask if you can be credited the difference. If they say yes, that's a courtesy. If they say no, I think getting angry with them is not appropriate. I think more appropriate is to be bummed and say, "Well, you know what they say, timing is everything."

If you're swearing to never shop there again over this, then you do in fact feel entitled to that price difference and you feel they are wrong to not give it to you. They're not wrong. Nor are they right TO give it to you.

In fact, this, to me, is a situation of "you give them an inch, they take a foot." I suppose we could also argue that it's not good customer service to have tea and coffee and cookies laid out for us when we shop. Good customer service is not the same thing as giving the customer everything they demand. Good customer service is doing your best to find the customer what they're looking for and being knowledgeable about the product and being polite. But that, to me, goes both ways. Customers also have an obligation to be polite and accept reasonable policies. Offering the rebate a price difference is a courtesy, but not doing so is NOT an unreasonable policy.

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Cancel the order and then buy it again on sale. Unless you think you won't get the items. The money saved can go toward something else for the house. You'll feel better and have more goodies too. What do they care? They don't.

Cyber Monday isn't the best deal. It's just when the most volume of sales online happens as I understand it.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Forget about customer services and supervisors, it's useless with PB and WS. Here is a list of the executives. I used the contact link at the bottom of this page and told my frustrating saga with PB. Had an answer the same day and it was all straightened out with their apology.
    I just had a similar experience with Sahalie.com and the same technique worked. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: exec. board

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I suspect if the CEOs and top executives were not rolling in millions with their yearly compensation packages, I might feel differently (Pottery Barn CEO=over $5 million/year). Sort of like (to me anyway) tipping the fellow who delivers something-not necessary, but I prefer to err on the side of generosity. Refunding a small amount to the customers who follow up on the sale seems generous. Lots of us just don't worry about it or do it for one reason or another. Even if a million customers did it, it would not significantly alter the bottom line of those who set the policies. Of course, I would also like to see more corporations take the Ben and Jerry approach. Oh well.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I am no defender of big business or anything like that. Quite the opposite. I really dislike the way business is done in this country now.

But Dee's question amounted to, "IF I've already purchased items, and the later go on sale, am I wrong to believe I"m entitled to a refund of the difference and to be angry and punish them by not shopping there again?", and the answer to that, regardless of what CEOs are paid or what profits a company might make, is yes, you're wrong about that.

Again, what if the price went UP a week later and PB sent her an email letting her know that, because her items were on back order, they were going to charge to her credit card the difference and make her pay the higher amount? That is exactly the same thing: Changing AFTER their agreement on the price the day she bought the items to a different price and charging her for it. Would she be wrong in that case to be upset? No, not at all. She'd be right to be angry about it. But in that case, she doesn't LIKE the new price, so she doesn't want to be affected by it.

I was once in line to buy a Lands End item at Sears. There was a woman in front of me returning three Lands End shirts, because Lands End policy was they'll take anything back. The shirts were disgusting. Yellow around the collars, CLEARLY worn A LOT, and she was obviously taking advantage of that policy, and regardless of the policy, IMO was wrong and immoral to return shirts that had clearly been worn. This woman wants a free wardrobe.

But guess who pays for that policy? The rest of us, in the prices of the merchandise.

So again, you give an inch, people take a foot. And I can see how stores have to draw lines. When an item goes on sale, that is the price of the item. When it's not on sale, THAT is the price of the item. and when a person decides to buy something, they are, by their actions, agreeing to the price at the time of the purchase.

To get angry at the business and punish them for not giving people sale prices not on sale days is, IMO, not reasonable.

• amicus
    9 years ago

If I'm correct, I think the whole point of Dee's frustration is that the company is not willing to price adjust on an item they still have not sent her, after receiving her payment. I feel stores should be required to price adjust in that case.

But likewise, as in the example I posted earlier (if someone orders a fridge, then calls back the store and says they need the delivery to be delayed while their flooring is installed) then I believe the store has the right to say "We'll delay shipment for you, but if the price of that model fridge increases during the time we're storing it for you, we have to charge you the difference." That would be reasonable, since the customer opted to not take normal delivery.

That's not the same as someone being told that what they ordered won't even come in for 2 weeks, but if the price goes down during that 2 weeks, they don't get it for that price. I guess if that's the case, it teaches customers to never order an item that a store has to 'back order.'

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

I walked into W & S awhile back with a crepe pan I had purchased there and used quite a bit. It had some discoloration that I only wanted to ask about, not complaining or asking for a replacement; I just wanted to know if it was normal for this to happen. The manager told me he wasn't sure but handed met was a new one. No receipt, no request for a replacement. Same thing with a vacuum cleaner from BB&B. Does this policy result in higher prices? Probably. But I am very willing to pay a little more for quality customer service.

Re the OP, I wouldn't be happy with the way this situation has played out so far. I find it highly unusual as well. If I didn't get the resolution I wanted (and I would definitely pursue every avenue), PB would lose a customer. I would also let them know they lost a customer. Retailers don't like to lose customers nor the fallout that comes with it.

As for the CEO making 5m/year for being in charge of an extremely successful company, what do you think would be fair compensation? Who should determine this compensation?

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I think the price should be whatever the price was at the time of purchase, regardless of delivery date. I do not think stores are required to adjust down nor should they adjust up. Anyone who thinks stores should adjust down but not up is being inconsistent.

Re the Land's End liberal return policy. I love REI who used to have the same type of liberal return policy. Too much abuse led to them only allowing returns for full price up to one year from purchase. That's still quite liberal but a big change. REI stores have big sales about twice a year for these returned items. Great deals. The items have a tag on it explaining why it was returned. I saw a doggy "backpack" that had a tag stating it was returned because "item no longer fits dog". WTH? The dog grew out of it so they returned it. Abuse like that ruins it for all the rest of us honest shoppers.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Funnygirl, Regarding CEO compensation: all I was saying is that a little generosity goes a long way. The managers and other employees ceratinly do not make anywhere near that despite working for a profitable company. I just think salaries have gotten way out of proportion for a few. Sigh. I suspect a store, IF it wanted to do so, could easily make it policy to adjust, especially when items have not shipped. The manager you spoke with a WS certainly did, it appears, and isn't WS the same corporate family as PB?

Is it necessary? No. Is it nice? Yes.

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you to all who supported me. I feel energized with that support. And thank you yayagal for that link.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Dee, if it's just agreement and support you want, you should make that clear in the OP, not ask if anyone has a different opinion or "thinks you're wrong".

And for the record, I don't think you're wrong. I don't think PB is wrong. I don't think you're right. I don't think PB is right. I don't think this scenario is a matter of right and wrong.

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I apologize for not thanking everyone for taking the time to express their opinion, regardless of that opinion. I should have said I found that enough people agreed with all or part of my position to pursue it further, and that helped to shore up my initial reaction.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

you're welcome Dee.

• pammyfay
    9 years ago

Thank goodness Kohl's isn't like Pottery Barn, tho it does have its own fluke, as do many merchants who also sell on the Web.

My sister and I did some big-time shopping at Kohl's a few months ago, and the next day, she got a 20% off coupon in the mail. She went back, explained she wanted the discount and offered to return everything, with the understanding that she'd just turn around and rebuy it. Not in a threatening manner, just in a way that told the returns' clerks that it was gonna happen one way or another.

Now, people who work at Kohl's probably shop there, too (I'm hoping they get a store discount!), so they know how frustrating the coupon sales can be. But Kohl's sends them out at least 4 times a month, whether via newspaper ad or Web mail. So I know that the Kohl's workers see the benefit in keeping customers happy and coming back.

A problematic situation with Kohl's? When something goes on sale in the store, you buy it, then you happen to look at its Web site and it's priced substantially lower there. Yup, there was a return in that case, too. (PS: Nothing had been worn and no tags were even cut off. The stuff was still even in the shopping bags.)

I feel that if you've missed a special sale by a very short time -- esp when merchandise hasn't shipped or is back-ordered -- go 100% for what you think is a fair accommodation. (And esp for back-ordered things -- that's the price the store should swallow for a flawed inventory system.)

• marcolo
    9 years ago

What makes PB so wrong and so stupid here is that it's inconveniencing a customer without saving a nickel. Obviously any customers who care about this issue enough to call about it will just cancel their orders and repurchase at the new price. PB won't be getting the original price from anybody. So why not bow to the inevitable and make it easy on the customer, instead of difficult for the customer? Dumb business practice.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

I agree Marcola..

Deinohio was the proverbial "bird in the hand".

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

marcolo, it's the customer making it difficult for PB here, not the other way around. I can't wrap my head around the the attitude that a person is ENTITLED to the lower price AFTER they've bought something. I see absolutely no harm in calling and asking, but if the answer is no, I don't get the outrage and anger and victimhood and threads and panning a storeâ¦In the Kohl's example, if you know Kohl's has discount coupons in the paper four times a month, why don't you just wait until the coupon comes out to go shopping at Kohl's? It seems to me the inconvenience is in holding everyone else up while they have to wait for you to get your rebate on the difference.

Marcolo, IMO, the dumb business practice was to ever offer to give people the difference in the first place. A sale starts on a specific day and ends on a specific day. That is what sales are! Where do they draw the line? How about the woman who bought the item the day before this person? Or the one before that?

This is not something to be angry at the store about. It's something to be bummed about. And for the umpteenth time, if a price goes up while it is back ordered, should the customer pay the higher price since the argument here is basically that the customer due the price of the item while the thing is on back order. Of course not, and stores don't do that either, and they shouldn't.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

I understand what you're saying Tibbrix, but typically stores will do an adjustment within a 10-14 day (or whatever) period and customers have become accustomed to this practice.

I think the main difference here is that this was an online purchase vs. in store. If the purchase had been made in the store, I'm quite certain an adjustment would happily have been done, but it is a different story dealing with customer service over an online purchase. I'm still not certain I understand why the order cannot be canceled since it hasn't shipped and a new one placed at the sale price.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Marcolo, exactly. Had the items been shipped promptly this would not have been an issue. PB's approach on this one is quite customer-unfriendly.

• melsouth
    9 years ago

I appreciate stores, clerks, and customer service reps who go out of their way to be accommodating and agreeable.
    We've all had the opposite experience, and we have every right to decide to spend our money elsewhere.
    Like Marcolo said, it wouldn't cost Pottery Barn a nickel to accommodate this request.
    Of course, the store has every right not to go the extra mile for its customers.
    But it's stupid.

• fourkids4us
    9 years ago

Pammyfay, that exact thing happened to me at Kohls a couple of weeks ago. I was in the store with my daughters and bought a pair of boots for one of them. They were $54 originally, on sale for $27. I bought them. While we were there, I saw a coat my older daughter liked but they didn't have her size. I decided to look for it online when we got home. First thing I noticed was that they were offering a 20% discount on all purchases (I'd had a 15% coupon I used in the store). They had the coat dd liked, so I bought that as well as a couple of other items. For some reason, I looked at the boots I had just bought not two hours earlier in the store. They were selling for $14.99 in the store plus 20% off. I purchased them again planning to return the ones I'd bought in the store which were double the price! I knew I'd be going back to the store anyway as I had another item to return so it wasn't a hassle and worth it to save $15 (actually almost $20 b/c the extra 20% off online vs the 15% off in store). It was pretty off-putting though to find the website was selling the exact same item at the same time for more than half what I'd paid in the store just hours earlier.

Incidentally, I had something similar happen in the reverse at Lands End. I was exchanging some uniform shirts in the Lands End store at Sears that I'd ordered online. I'd gotten them on sale online but they didn't fit. I brought them to the store to return, explaining I wanted to exchange them for a different size, thinking they would re-order them for me. I didn't realize they carried the shirts in the store, so the salesclerk told me where they were. They only had one in stock and I needed two. When she rang me up, they came up even cheaper than what I'd paid online. She had to call lands End to order the second one, but they were advertising it online for the price I originally paid, not the in store price. However, the salesclerk told me that Lands End would price match the store price, which was 25% less. Funny how online vs brick and mortar can have such differing prices!

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

I was in PB today when a sales assoc. and I got on the subject of PB policies. I asked about the possibility of getting an adjustment on an item if it went on sale after Christmas. She said they just did away with that policy and I said that I'd just return the original item and repurchase it. She said that, yes, that can certainly be done. I mentioned this thread and she said dealing with online customer service IS different than dealing with the retail stores. She didn't know why exactly but speculated that perhaps it is easier to go by the book over the phone than in person, or that perhaps their policies are just different than store policies; she didn't have definite answers and was only speculating.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Funnygirl ~ The policies are NOT different. The OP was told that she could cancel her order then go back online and re-purchase !!
    The problem was that she had purchased with gift cards ~
    It would take a week or so to get the credit re-issued .

PB policy online is .... you can cancel or return within 30 days for full credit..(actually- extended for the holiday season 'till 1/31)

The question here ?
    Why the "adjustment" requires you to do their dance !!

This post was edited by forboystoo on Wed, Dec 17, 14 at 20:01

• HU-81623740720
    3 years ago

I was told same thing: I could cancel the purchase and re-order. But I already was waiting weeks (forever?) on the item that was backordered, and didn't want to wait even longer. I also could get zero information on the status of the backorder. bad customer service.