Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Real gift boxes at Big Lots

joaniepoanie
9 years ago

Not those flimsy, cheap, folding things from the dept stores that cave in as you try to wrap them!

I hadn't been to Big Lots in years as the one near me is junky, but they opened a new one in a shopping area I frequent and I needed ornament hangers so I ran in. I was so surprised to see one side of an aisle with the hard boxes with lids like the ones we grew up with. Lots of different sizes. Now, they all have Christmas designs, not plain, but you can just add ribbon, no wrapping paper needed. Wonder if they carry plain boxes other times of the year.

I got so fed up with those folding boxes that I stopped asking for them entirely and pretty much switched to using only gift bags, but sometimes you want a box instead.

They not be as highy quality as what we had growing up but they're sure way better than the folding ones!

Comments (13)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Joanie, so funny! I especially hate the ones that you need a master's degree to figure out how to assemble them. Then, they rip if you don't do it right.

But, I refuse to buy boxes. Good though that you found what works for you.

OT: Did you have your last day of work, or is it coming up soon?

• funkyart
    9 years ago

oh-- I loathe big lots but i DO need boxes so I'll make a run tomorrow. At least it's next to the state store-- so I'll stock up on wine and spirits!

I was also wondering about your last day-- I wanted to wait a little to allow you to adjust to the change. Hope you are loving your time!

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awwww...thanks Ellendi and funky art for asking about my retirement. My last day was the day before TG. No real fanfare when I left because I didn't want any...just a quick goodbye to all. So far it's been wonderful. The best thing is sleeping in, especially since I don't sleep well to begin with...no having to get up early and go to work on a few hours sleep. With the holidays, I am keeping busy....I just hope I don't get bored come January...but I think there will be enough house projects to work on. I don't miss the office and all the nonsense one bit!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm a box saving fiend. In our family, you never judged a gift by the box as we have them from way back when. I still have the box that my old spinning wheel toy came in...must be 50 yrs old by now. Every once in awhile, I go through and try to reorganize them and toss the oldest or worst conditioned. But boxes I've got.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

A bit OT, but Big Lots has (or at least had) really great wool socks dirt cheap. I bought six pairs, wish I'd bought @ 20!

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I ventured into Big Lots today because of this thread. I needed shirt size boxes for my dad's Christmas gifts. The dang box sizes I needed were $5 and $9. Now I am not cheap, but wasn't about to spend that on a box he would just take home to never use again! I went next door to the Dollar Tree and bought a bag instead. It goes better with my wrapping paper I'm using this year anyway.

It was only the 2nd time I went to Big Lots. First time was out of curiosity. Won't be going back, but at least it was clean.

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Allison...I suppose I was remiss in not checking the prices of the boxes. I was just so excited to see real boxes instead of the folding ones. I did not buy any because I have quite a collection of bags from the dollar store as well and didn't need any, but I agree with you...those prices are ridiculous. I'm sorry I caused a wasted trip for you or anyone else.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Thanks, but it wasn't really wasted. I had been to office supply store in the same center. They are really nice boxes though.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

A bit off topic, but it's about the evolution of Big Lots.

40+ years ago there was a small chain of stores in the Los Angeles area called Pic n Save. They carried cheap trinkets and overstock things, as a kid I LOVED that store because I could shop for everyone on a kids budget. They carried a lot of 2nds and out of season items.

Later they started carrying seasonal things they were like a precurser to dollar stores. They eventually changed the name to Big Lots but it was mainly due to their getting "Lots" of unclaimed or 2nds merchandise. You really had to pick thru to find gems, but you could get really good deals. I found it was a great place to outfit the kids when they moved in to their first places-dishes, linens, even food was cheap.

Then they started getting more seasonal decor in and started opening more stores as a 3rd tier retailer-places like Marshalls and Home Goods being 2nd tier. Before long they started bringing in really cheaply made furniture and it's now evolved into what it is today-a CRAPPY 2nd tier retailer. Their prices are not cheap-just like at Tuesday Morning...they will have one or two loss leaders and the rest of the stuff is quite spendy for what it is.

My eldest DD worked at Big Lots while she was in college-so I'd end up going there pretty frequently to visit her, that was just before they started getting furniture in. Now with their TV ads, they have evolved way beyond their original beginnings!

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pesky.....I remember Pic n Save......wow......a real blast from the past. I had no idea it morphed into Big Lots. Big Lots came to my area maybe 10-15 years ago. The one I just went to is a lot nicer than the one near me.

It's definitely not a store I will frequent, but I did pick up a few things and thought the prices were OK.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I always need boxes, but don't know if there is a Big Lots near us. I will check it out.

Glad retirement is good. A recent study showed older people are the happiest. Well, duh. They are retired! ðÂÂÂ. I hope to discover those joys within a few years. So happy for you. One note, if you do get bored, you can always volunteer or sub at a school. We are always looking for good people!

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

I remember when I worked at an artist's supply store in college. Next door was a Hickory Farms. HF had great looking boxes and there was always a pile of them outside by the back doors. I used to love the look on family members faces when they thought they got a deluxe cheese log assortment!

The packaging was always pretty and the boxes were well made. I still have a few to store ornaments in just so I can recall those old days. Now I like pretty hat boxes and other fabric covered containers that can be reused. We also like to make fancy fabric bags and use them every year. I like the look of the fabric bags with their fancy trims under the tree. Little items or parts of toys don't get lost in the bags during a party and people like reusing them. It's fun to see ones I made years ago return.

• redcurls
    9 years ago

I went there today specfically to look at the boxes. I was almost convinced my store didn't have them because they weren't with the other Christmas stuff although they had other Christmas boxes. Finally, on the OTHER side of the store I saw them...sign said 80 cents to $10. I picked up TWO of the size I wanted and then saw they would have cost me $17. They went back on the shelf. Nice boxes,tho....

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm