Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

Cold restaurants - why?

terezosa / terriks
10 years ago

I am so tired of dining in restaurants in the winter that are so cold that I have to keep my coat on! My husband and I were out of town with our son for the weekend for my brother's birthday, and chose a restaurant based on Yelp reviews. We were in Sacramento, which like much of the country is experiencing unusually cold weather. It was 32 degrees outside when we went into this little bistro. It felt warm at first, but I soon realized that the other customers were still wearing their coats. My phone has a built in temperature sensor, so I monitored the temperature as we were eating. It ranged between 59 - 66 degrees. Not exactly what we were looking for in a cozy little bistro. We had started out at a table near the door, where we got an arctic blast every time the door opened, but were able to move when another table opened up. It was still cold but not quite as bad. When our food arrived the waitress asked if we needed anything else, I said "heat!". She acknowledged that it was cold, and that the other table we had been at was "brutal", but offered no relief.
The sad thing is that this is not an unusual experience in the winter. Don't the restaurant owners notice that no one takes off their coats because it's so cold? It really leaves a bad impression.

Comments (12)

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I can't remember having that problem. Unless, like you, being seated near the door/draft. We usually refuse a table right near the door - or the kitchen. Not really temp related, but those tend to be busier and in the pathway of things.

tina

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I've noticed this too. Perhaps it's meant to counter the heat in the kitchens. Or perhaps nobody on the night shift has the key to the thermostats.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Or perhaps the owners are just trying to save a few bucks.

Yes, this is irritating.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Your phone has a built in thermometer? That's cool, no pun intended.

I don't recall having been in a cold restaurant in the winter, but have been to over air-conditioned ones in the summer and hate it.

I hate it when the wait staff acknowledges the problem but doesn't indicate they are going to do something about it. I'm not shy about calling the manager over and mentioning that something is wrong.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Restaurants are a little cool because the wait staff is running around and would pass out if the thermostat was kept above 70 degrees! That is also why the air conditioners are low in the summer. Granted, if people are wearing coats, they may be overdoing it, but if you have ever worked in a restaurant in your younger years, you would understand.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Perhaps the restaurant's HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) systems were not properly set up to cope or change with the fluctuations in outside temperatures? ....

...Or perhaps it has something to do with food safety regulations? ....

..Or perhaps the owners are hoping that guests will order more hot beverages and hot food items! :) (yes, I am teasing on that one!)

..And yes ... VERY cold AC in restaurants drives me crazy -- even in the deepest heat waves! I have worn DH's jacket during dinners! :) But I certainly do understand that the owners must take into account their severs' optimal working conditions too.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the Samsung Galaxy S4 measures temperature and humidity.

I did waitress for years when I was younger, and don't remember people keeping their coats on in the winter. The waitress in this place even thought that it was cold. I definitely think that there can be a balance between customer's and employees comfort, but if a business should be looking to make their customers comfortable. It definitely leaves a bad impression to be uncomfortable while eating.

I also see the opposite happen when I go to the mall. I want to keep my coat on there, because it is too bulky to carry, but many of the shops are quite warm and I have to choose between taking it off or being sweaty.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Last year, we were in a restaurant during very cold weather and they had the air conditioner running. Everyone was freezing, but nobody could figure out how to turn off the air. It was a miserable experience. We should have just left.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I havent really noticed this in restaurants in the winter-- but I am often cold and dress with that in mind. I do know that for every person who thinks it is cool, there's someone who thinks it is comfortable-- or warm. Also, restaurants with large glass windows have a harder time maintaining a static temperature.

The thing that kills me are the FREEZING movie theaters. They are always cold whether winter or summer! I saw a movie this weekend and wore gloves the whole time!

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

There has also been some cold experiences at my "end". One would think they'd realize a loss of business. I can guess, but none with any knowledge.

Our going from daytime temps of 2 to 40 within 24hrs must put a big load on the heating systems. We live in an erratic area where a 6 ft blizzard of snow can turn to 60s the next day with guys shirtless digging out. Our heating and cooling is fairly well on track. Change of seasons though tend to have AC on, just in case when spring shows up.

Doesn't change the problem with cold restaurants. The buildings they are in can make a difference though and difficult to regulate. A nice HVAC guy would be welcomed to give some thoughts. Maybe one is nearby.

Terriks, same issue as you. I'm a warm person and most stores are hot. Dragging a coat and sweater around doesn't help either. Let's design something nice to hang this stuff on us....and not below the belt or tied around my waist.

Yesterday was beyond the norm of hot stores with a trip to a 3 floor store. The top level was so hot I couldn't shop (and really, really, wanted to). My coat was off and almost went for another layer. Did talk with one of the employees and she said they were miserable too. They just had the heating fixed a couple of days ago because the temps were erratic and now couldn't even change them. Heater guy was on his way back.

On a positive, I love those grates at the doors with temps set for the day. It is so nice to feel the warmth or AC surround me going in, definitely a marketing plus for these stores.

• Charles Carrillo
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We go out to eat often and it seems like most places are cold,.Wether it be for the the waiters or cooks that are hot, the restaurant should be thinking about the customer's comfort also. Our first thought should not be "where can we eat where it is not cold?".

I understand that you don't want it too hot that your workers pass out, but the customer should be comfortable eating warm food. There are times that I get my food warm and by time I get half way finished, my food is cold. If the waiter doesn't get my food quickly, then it sits with a cold breeze on it and I get a cold plate.

I have asked waiters (and Managers) to turn up the heat or turn off the AC, only to have the air conditioning come on again after 5 minutes.

I just want to be comfortable eating and paying for a warm meal.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz