Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Oyster Books

bbstx
9 years ago

Has anyone tried Oyster Books? For $9.95/month you get unlimited downloads of their library of books.

I like M. C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin series. I just searched to see what they had by M. C. Beaton and they were all books I was unfamiliar with. The titles sounded like Regency romances (not my cup of tea).

I went to the NYT's list of Best Sellers. On the Oyster website, I entered the NYT authors' names, plus a few others that were brought to mind by association. Here are the very brief, terribly unscientific results:

No - John Grisham, Anne Lamott, Michael Connelly, James Patterson, David Baldacci, or Anne Rice

Yes - Stephen King

Unless someone has had an excellent experience with this service, I think I'll pass.

Comments (12)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

BBSTX, have you tried the Kindle version? Unlimited Kindle is $9.99 a month. I think there are over 700,000 titles but I'm not convinced that it's a good deal.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

h-k, thanks. I did a one month free trial of Kindle Unlimited. It was okay but didn't have a lot that I wanted to read. Actually, my public library has a fairly good selection. I was just looking for more.

I found a reference to Scribd which seems to be similar to Oyster and KU. I haven't done any research into Scribd.

The holidays are getting in the way of my reading!!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Also openlibrary.org, although getting a popular title there is as bad as waiting for a print copy on your library's waiting list.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OOOhhh, thanks, wb. I'll add that to my list of places to investigate. I went to the site and searched on Beaton and found a couple of her books I haven't read. I'm going to have to read about it more. I noticed that one of the books I want has a lock icon with the word "Daisy." I need to figure out what that means.

All of a sudden everyone has figured out it is the Friday before Christmas and they haven't got a gift for Auntie Boo or Granny or their SIL, and they are calling me to ask what to buy. I want to read! Go away, you procrastinating layabouts!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I don't know where you are, but in NH the state library has both audio and electronic books available for borrowing via short-term download if you have a library card to your local library. I don't know if other states or municipal libraries have this service of downloadable books.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

I thought the kindle unlimited was terrible. I went through like 100 pages of books when they had their free trial and about 1/3 of the books were "The Billionaire's Girlfriend," or "The Millionaire's Contract" (for the less ambitious I guess?) or other weird trilogies of a similar theme. No thanks.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

>I noticed that one of the books I want has a lock icon with the word 'Daisy.' I need to figure out what that means.

DAISY is a special format for accessible books that requires a special reader. But try those books anyway, because sometimes the listings also include regular ebooks that aren't shown till you get to the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daisy info

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nhb, our library has that same service. I'm just looking for an additional source.

bdb, I saw the same thing! I just didn't think Kindle Unlimited was that valuable for me.

wb. HA! I thought Daisy was someone who had checked out all those books. I only looked at one page. I thought that Daisy sure is a prolific reader of English cozy mysteries.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Thanks Beagles. I rather thought that the unlimited books were probably not the best or most wanted. I would rather pay as I go, I didn't bother with the free trial.

• deegw
    9 years ago

Have you tried Pixel of ink? Every day they email two lists of free or reduced priced books on Amazon. Most of the books are not great but I usually find two or three per week to add to my Kindle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pixel of Ink

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just got a freebie off Pixel of Ink! Thanks for the link, deee!

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

I signed up for Oyster. I usually download books from the library and occasionally buy them on amazon or barnes and noble.

I have an iPad, so have all the apps - Kindle, Nook, Over drive etc. My issue with Oyster is it doesn't have the new books that I want to read. I have them reserved at the library, but I'm about 6 months out on a wait list!

I'm giving Oyster another month. Since I have no library holds coming close to being able to be checked out, I'm on Oyster and have found several of the books listed in the other what are you reading thread.

The other thing Oyster has added recently are book lists with recommended reading titles for various genres and other special interests. I like that. I also like the fact that if I see a book that looks interesting I can read it immediately and return it immediately.