Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

ISO the Yummiest Danish Rice Pudding

bpath
9 years ago

We keep a Danish tradition whereby as part of the Christmas Eve dinner, everyone gets a bowl of rice pudding; one bowl has an almond, and whoever gets the almond, gets a gift.

The problem? No one likes the rice pudding! Well, that's not true, but it's not a big fave. We've served it warm, cold, lots of texture, very smooth, with cinnamon, with cherry sauce, raspberry sauce, you name it; half the people just poke around for the almond and eat only a polite taste. (Don't talk to me about almonds and allergies, we already take care of that.)

We aren't giving up on the tradition, and trust me, substituting chocolate mousse is NOT an option, at least not while the older generation is still with us :)

This is my first year to make it, Mom just can't anymore. What I'm looking for is a really yummy rice pudding! Rice mousse? Parfait? Can I mix it with another pudding or mousse? Help!

Comments (9)

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

I have always used this Cooks Illustrated recipe. Unfortunately I am the only one in the family who likes it, so I don't make it often. What a fun tradition!

The link isn't to Cooks' site, someone posted it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rice Pudding Link

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I'm addicted to the NY Times rice pudding with golden raisins recipe. I can't link to it from my tablet but you can google it. Make sure you add the orange peel, and use cardamom pods instead of cinnamon.

• bpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those recipes with orange peel sound dee-lish, and refreshing! Even Mom was intrigued as she leafed through her Danish cookbooks.

I wonder if you can mix chocolate with rice pudding?

• luckygal
    9 years ago

Just saw this recipe which might be more popular with your guests. I'd serve it in very small bowls which PW also does.

Here is a link that might be useful: PW rice pudding

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I haven't made the NYT version with long grain rice yet. I had bought medium thinking it was the standard rice for pudding. I had to simmer it for an hour and a half to get it tender! The next time, I brought the medium rice up to a rolling boil for a minute, drained it, and it was ready in 40 minutes. There's still enough starch remaining in the boiled rice for it to thicken. I even left out the cream last time and it was plenty creamy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I have a friend who has celiac, so I often make rice pudding for dessert. I make mine in a small crock pot. Easy and tasty.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

Boil it? I always make rice pudding in the oven.

• lilydude
    9 years ago

This is a family recipe that I've modified over the years. I'm pretty sure you could live on this stuff.

12 oz. rice: soak for 1 hour (optional). Boil until tender, no salt. Drain.
    Mix in baking dish: 1 cup sugar; 1/8 lb. butter; dash salt.
    Add: 10 eggs, medium-large; beat.
    Add: 1 qt. milk; 1 Tbsp. vanilla; handful raisins; handful coconut, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, rice; mix.
    Very good with chopped almonds and cardamom.
    425 degrees, no cover, approx. 40 minutes. If center is liquid, continue cooking.
    Do not cover until pudding has cooled. Can be cooked in uncovered canning jars at 325F; seal right after removing from oven. Will keep indefinitely in fridge.

• bpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kathy! Yep, that's the recipe we use, we always have to remember to flip to the English section, not the Danish, because in typical 2nd generation mode, my Danish is limited to "vi taller ikke om det" and "pas paa" and such table reprimands lol!

One year my cousin and his wife offered to dish up the risalamande. The almond was discovered as expected, then another, then another...everyone got an almond! Cuz and co. played a good trick that year; fortunately, they had also brought goofy little gifts for all, too. Now part of family lore :)

It may be the almond extract that just doesn't go over so well. I suggested we cut it in half, or leave it out altogether. Blasphemy! I still want to try the Cook's recipe in bethpen's link with orange zest.