Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

Homemade Food gifts

hhireno
9 years ago

My latest obsession is the recipe for Candied Pecans from the Once Upon a Chef blog. They are crazy good and oh-so-easy to make.

For the past few years, I was using Natal's Honey Chipotle Pecan recipe, which is also great, but it was time to mix it up.

I also made the hot cocoa mix from Smitten Kitchen, which my husband said was very rich and tasty. I made it for a gift but since I don't eat chocolate I made him be my guinea pig taste tester. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it.
hot cocoa mix

I'm actually very Scrooge like and dislike most gift exchanging but I do like to make food gifts, and not just for Xmas. Anybody have any other food gift ideas or recipes to share?

Here is a link that might be useful: Candied pecans

Comments (42)

• tinam61
    9 years ago

How about some of the popcorn/candy/nut mixes? I don't have a specific recipe, but I've noticed some tasty looking pix on pinterest . . .

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Here's a recipe I saved:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cranberry-honey-butter

Here is a link that might be useful: cranberry honey butter

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Granolas are another good one.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

candied citrus peel; Julia Child's pate

• edeevee
    9 years ago

I work as the volunteer coordinator at a mental health center. One of our volunteers is going to do a food gift demonstration at one of our group homes in a couple of days. He's doing Potato Soup Mix, Bacon Dip Mix, 3-2-1 Cake and some kind of spicy snack cracker.

I am especially intrigued by the 3-2-1 Cake. It's a 1:1 mix of packaged angel food cake mix and any other flavored cake mix. We'll package it up in smaller bags and the residents can give it as a gift with this tag: Place 3T of mix in cup with 2T water. Microwave for one minute and let cool.

It's supposed to make an individual cake that only has 80 calories.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

I will be doing some breakfast gift boxes this year. One of the boxes will include a pancake mix that I saw online with dried apples. I may also make apple cider syrup to go with it. This is for a local family friend.

For an out of state family that also eats gluten free I will be making a jar of pancake mix that uses a starch and cornmeal plus lemon peel. I have to experiment with the dried lemon peel. That box will include some homemade jams and purchased cocoa mix.

I may also include some almond joy granola in the boxes but it will depend on how energetic I am (not very right now).

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Ah.. great post! I am making pistachio baklava by special request. I use Michael Symon's recipe (below). No idea how I will wrap it yet but in the past, I have sent it via USPS in a treat box lined with wax paper.

One of my sisters has been making mustards for years-- various types, last year was Champagne and horseradish (two diff mustards-- not combined lol).

Tina, I saw that cranberry honey butter somewhere too-- I am planning to take that to our Christmas breakfast!

And then there are the Christmas cookies. I would love to stop making them but the kids would be terribly disappointed. I make cranberry white chocolate macadamia nut-- but I also make pistachio choc chip and the completely nasty but nostalgic holly cookies.

Looking forward to some more new ideas! Thanks for the thread hhireno.

Photo from my first batch a few years ago-- I've tightened up my technique but all in all, it is pretty easy to make.

Here is a link that might be useful: Michael Symon's baklava

• hhireno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funky,
    Did you need my mailing address? I'll take some baklava or mustard, thanks!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

My fav is Peppermint Bark Popcorn.

16 C popped popcorn* (fresh, or about 2 bags microwave popcorn)
    1 lb almond bark or white chocolate chips
    1 6 ounce box candy canes, crushed (about 1 generous cups, BobâÂÂs brand are best!)
    1/4 teaspoon peppermint oil or 2 teaspoons peppermint extract**
    3/4 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (optional)

Place popcorn in a very large mixing bowl.

Melt almond bark according to package instructions. When completely melted, add extract or peppermint oil. If using extract, itâÂÂs normal for the almond bark to seize (get lumpy) which is okay, just stir very quickly, the more you wait the more it will seize.

Pour melted almond bark mixture over popcorn and pour crushed candy canes on top. Stir to evenly coat. Pour popcorn out onto waxed paper, parchment, or foil and spread out.

(OPTIONAL]
    Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. Drizzle over popcorn mixture. Let mixture dry completely until chocolate and almond bark are hardened. You may place in the fridge to speed process along.

When chocolate is hardened, use your hands to break up popcorn into chunks. Toss in a bowl, a jar, a cute package, or in your mouth :)

*if youâÂÂre using microwave popcorn, try to find an unbuttered or âÂÂnaturalâ kind because this looks much prettier if the popcorn isnâÂÂt bright yellow! Lightly salted is fine, I actually like a little salt in there, but avoid heavy buttered.

**If you can find flavored oils, like you would use for candy making, use them as they will best combine with the almond bark. If using extract, itâÂÂs not unusual for it to cause the almond bark to seize, but just stir quickly and pour immediately on popcorn. Once distributed it will be just fine.

The blog I got this from said not to use Spangler's peppermint canes. She thought Bob's were better. Because of that, I've always used Bob's. They aren't hard to find. I think I got them at Walmart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Best Bites Peppermint Bark Popcorn

• kimberlyrkb
    9 years ago

I have made these items the last several years....biscotti, cinnamon honey butter, jars of salted caramel, toffee or almond roca, peppermint bark, apple pie moonshine (made with apple juice/cider, vodka, and cinnamon), scones made to the point of baking but frozen instead so the recipient can bake them fresh, caramel corn with cashews and white/dark chocolate drizzled on top. The biscotti and caramel have been huge hits year after year. The others have all been really good but they aren't the mainstays.

• User
    9 years ago

I've been making biscotti every Christmas for about 10 years. This will be the 3rd year for my most favorite (and easy!) version - Cantucci di Prato. I made 4 loaves for Thanksgiving gifts and have 12 more to make between now and Christmas.

The link below is very close to the recipe I use. I like it because there is no oil or butter (I don't use a buttered/floured pan, just parchment). I will substitute cranberries for almonds and orange instead of almond flavoring for half of the logs.

The pistachio baklava and mustards sound delicious!

Here is a link that might be useful: Biscotti

• texanjana
    9 years ago

I always make cranberry pistachio bark and peppermint bark for friends and neighbors. Super easy!

• funkyart
    9 years ago

LOL Hhireno-- I'll trade you baklava for pecans! And you are the second person to mention Natal's Nuts.. do I remember that they are spicy?

A dear friend used to give me biscotti for christmas-- I looked forward to it every year. She replaced the gift with a cookie baking party (heavier on wine than cooking .. hic!). I think it's a great gift!

• hhireno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Natal's Honey Chipotle Pecans

Can be prepared up to a week ahead of time (but they won't last because you'll keep eating a few every time you walk by the container). Store in a sealed container.

2 Tablespoons honey
    1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 cups pecan halves (the larger the better)
    2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a medium microwave safe mixing bowl, combine the honey, chipotle powder, and ground cinnamon. Warm through. (You can also do this on the stove over low heat.)
    Stir nuts into warmed honey mixture. Still well to coat. On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spread honey-coated nuts in a single layer. Bake until toasted and fragrant, about 15 minutes.
    Meanwhile, combine the sugar and salt in a small bowl.
    Remove pecans from oven and allow to cool only slightly (no more than a minute or two -- you want them to still be sticky.)
    Dump the hot nuts into a medium sized mixing bowl and add the sugar/salt mix tossing to combine. Spread nuts on cold waxed or parchment paper and let dry. It's best if they don't touch each other.
    Serve, or store covered until ready to eat.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I made Natal's pecans last year for our neighbors (along with a 6-pack of seasonal beer with the bottles decorated like reindeer) and they all went crazy for them. I may try the cinnamon honey butter this year! I hate baking so I'm always looking for ideas other than cookies.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

My favorite food gift to make is Scrafft's Butterscotch cookies. They are so delicious that they are now our second favorite cookie. Just slightly behind home made ginger snaps.

I also make sugared pecans. I can't remember the blog that I found the recipe on and hope I can remember it soon.

• fourkids4us
    9 years ago

Dh makes about 25 loaves of pumpkin chocolate chip bread every Christmas using a very old recipe from a Ghirardelli chocolate cookbook. I have to admit it's delicious and our neighbors start asking for it after Thanksgiving!

When my kids were younger, i tried to recreate the Christmas cookie experience I had with my mom when I was a kid. Back then, our neighbors all exchanged plates of all kinds of cookies with each other. I always looked forward to the plate from our next door neighbor as she always had these delicious sugar sandwich cookies and mint brownies. Everyone had their own specialties. My mom made a bunch of different kinds, but my favorite to make were the gingerbread cookie cutouts. So for years, I made about 6-7 different kinds of cookies with the kids, but now we mostly just do sugar cookie cut outs b/c they love to decorate them and I don't have as much time on weekends to devote to baking anymore.

Holly-kay, can you share your butterscotch cookies recipe? I haven't had one in years but loved them. Might have to give them a try this week!

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh-- how cute are those reindeer!? Any tips, Sue? Did you do them pretty much as pictured?

• TheRedHouse
    9 years ago

There are lots of great suggestions here!

I making fudge as the neighbor gift this year. In years past I've given homemade jam. Other possibilities I like are various candy barks, cheese straws (they aren't a common food around here), and granola.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Funky, yes, I did them just as pictured. It was a PITA to glue on the googly eyes and keep them from sliding down the bottle! (I should have used a glue gun but I think I used Elmer's.) I just told myself that their wonky eyes added to their charm...

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Gladly, here is the Schrafft's recipe:

14 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 1/4 cups dark-brown sugar
    1 large egg
    2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
    1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for shaping
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup finely chopped pecans

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat; set aside.

2.In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in egg, dry milk, and vanilla.

3.In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer running, slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture. Fold in pecans.

4.Drop heaping tablespoons of batter onto prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Lightly flour your fingers and press each piece of batter into a 3-inch circle.

5.Transfer to oven and bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely

• springroz
    9 years ago

I made the Gingerbread mix out of the Penzey's catalog for my neighbors. It makes pretty good gingerbread. I still haven't found jars.

I made LOTS of raspberry jam when Kroger had raspberries on sale 3 for a dollar. I am going to put a calico top on the jars, and they will go to DH's office.

Those reindeer bottles are so cute!

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

I make something we call Reindeer Food, (not sure where the name came from). When I taught elementary I used to bag it in small holiday cellophane bags for my class, and teachers I worked with. I usually bring some to family get togethers in a holiday tub, because it's so easy and everyone loves it.

Reindeer Food

1 pkg almond bark
    3 bags Microwave popcorn -I use the OR Naturals with Sea Salt, not anything buttery, sort out unpopped kernels
    6c. Rice Chex
    2c. peanuts
    1/2 tsp. shortening- Crisco
    M&M's - I usually dump about 1/2 of a big bag

Melt almond bark and Crisco in glass bowl in microwave.
    In LARGE mixing bowl add popcorn, Rice Chex, peanuts, and M&M's. Toss to coat. Pour out onto wax paper, when hardens spoon into bags or bowl.

Super easy!! Colorful, salty, crunchy, sweetâ¦. Addictive!

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Our volunteer did the food gift demonstration at the group home tonight. It was a lot of fun.

The bacon dip spice mix was really tasty but I'm not sure we got a true picture of it since the residential worker purchased real bacon pieces instead of the Baco-s type thing that was called for. Our volunteer found clear plastic Christmas ornaments and funneled the spice mix into those. Cute!

He assembled the potato soup mix but we didn't stay long enough to try it. The residents were having it for dinner so I'll have to ask how it was tomorrow.

The snack crackers were a big hit. They're made by placing canola oil, ranch dressing mix and crushed red peppers in a gallon sized plastic bag, then dumping in the crackers and turning the bad for a few minutes before placing them in the oven at 275(?) for 15 minutes. Watching him make them, it seemed like they would be gross (all that oil!) but they were really yummy and not greasy at all when done.

The 3-2-1 cake was the one I was most interested in. It's super easy to make and looks like a nice gift when packaged with a dollar store mug, a holiday patterned plastic bag and a cute gift tag. Unfortunately, it looked better than it tasted. It was okay but it certainly wasn't the best cake I've ever tasted.

The residents really enjoyed the activity. I would recommend these as easy, inexpensive gifts that children or people with special needs can make. I'm not sure they are appropriate to give to anyone you want to impress though.

I'm going to suggest we try barks or the popcorn mixes next year.

• funkyart
    9 years ago

I am submitting my nut order and am wondering if you used raw or roasted pecans for the the sweet, spicy recipe. Neither recipe specifies.. I am assuming raw..

• texanjana
    9 years ago

That reindeer food sounds so good. Thanks for the recipe, Sweet Tea!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Funkyart, I make Natal's pecans every year and use raw pecans. They toast as they cook in the oven.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I have made a variety of food items over the years but the cookie tin with a variety of cookies is always the most popular. And, most time consuming and expensive by far!
    Typically 10 or so different varieties I make ahead ( a few weeks at most) and freeze each variety individually then assemble all tins before giving.

I usually dedicate one evening to one variety.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I love those bottles, SueB.

Reminds me of cupcakes we made for a party once:

I also made these one year for a kids craft in a class room:
    {{gwi:2135810}}

DISCLAIMER: Mine of course looked uhh, not exactly like these did

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

So many great ideas. I'm printing off several to use.

Sweet Tea: Do you know the size package for the almond bark. It sounds like an easy token gift for several people on my list.

• vogue6788
    9 years ago

The gift of seeds is a good one. I give Chilli Plants and Sweet Potato slips. But the Chilli is easy to grow in smaller spaces like where I live, I have a small balcony where i can start things off and ready them (the seedlings/slips) for others to plant and grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Apartment Block

This post was edited by vogue6788 on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 1:16

• vickij
    9 years ago

I can vouch for Natal's pecan recipe. I make them every year and they are always a huge hit!

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I also do a cookie tin, usually 8-10 different cookies. I agree very time consuming, but I get all my baking ya-yas out just in time for my New Year's resolution of eating healthy!

My favorite cookies: Austrian raspberry shortbread, butterscotch coconut, choc toffee, choc PB, choc chip w/ walnuts, Mexican wedding, oatmeal chrisp, orange ginger, pistachio & white choc, PB sandies, speculoos . . .

Some years, if I'm just not up for cookie armageddon, I'll do English toffee or granola.

• Lars
    9 years ago

I have usually made toffee (recipe below), but when I had pecans from my family in Texas, I would make chocolate turtles, using a Madeleine mold, but they were very labor intensive.

Toffee

1 2/3 c raw almonds, (7.5 oz)
    1 c unsalted butter
    1 1/2 c sugar
    3 Tbs. light corn syrup
    3 Tbs. Water
    12 oz. bittersweet chocolate

Place almonds on a cookie sheet and toast in 350ð oven for about 15 minutes, stirring every five minutes. Chop the almonds, and then sort out the larger pieces into a one-cup measuring cup. Save the finer pieces in two 1/3 cup measuring cups.
    Combine butter, sugar, corn syrup and water in a medium-size heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, to 300ðF on candy thermometer. This may take a while if the room is extremely humid. In a dry kitchen, it may take only 15-20 minutes. (A teaspoonful of syrup will separate into brittle threads when dropped in cold water; the color of the mixture will be like peanut butter or caramel at this point.) Remove from heat, and stir in the cup of coarser almond pieces. Pour into a buttered 13x9x2" pan, spreading quickly and evenly - you can shake and tilt the pan to distribute the mixture. Cool the mixture, but not until brittle. Turn out onto waxed paper, and return to the pan with the waxed paper underneath.

Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot water; remove from heat. Spread half the melted chocolate over top of candy; sprinkle with 1/3 cup nuts; allow to cool for about 20 minutes, or until chocolate has set. Turn candy over and spread with remaining chocolate and sprinkle with remaining nuts. Let stand until set in refrigerator or freezer. Break into pieces.
    Makes l-1/2 pounds.

*Note: you can use a somewhat larger pan or combination of pans instead of the 13x9â if you want the candy to be thinner, but you may need more chocolate and nuts for topping.

**Make sure you do not add any salt to this or use salted nuts, or else it will taste like peanut brittle. Almonds are traditional, but you can substitute hazelnuts or Brazil nuts and get similar results.

Lars

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Coffee!! I made jars and jars years ago--threw the recipes just a few weeks ago, then decided instant flavored coffees would be perfect for my college kids!! The internet is a wonderful thing!

• cran
    9 years ago

I just finished up 4 batches of Natal's pecans, I would still be making them but I ran out of honey! Thanks for the recipe hhireno they are delish and a perfect goft.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I have never seen chipotle powder , where do you buy it.
    I would like to try Natals Pecans

• hhireno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lyban,
    It should be in the spice section of your supermarket. The one in my pantry is Spice Island brand and has Ground Chipotle Chile on the label. I know other companies also make it. Last year I gave the nuts, the recipe, and a jar of the spice as the gift (knowing that not everyone has the spice in their pantry). I think it was Durkee brand then.

Those nuts are great but if you want an easier recipe that only needs cayenne pepper, the first one I linked is very good and easy.

Lars,
    My sister has a toffee recipe that she will not share. Not even with family! I think I'll try your recipe and we'll do a taste test. I don't even eat the stuff, I don't eat chocolate, but I'd like to beat her at her own game. That's the correct xmas spirit, right?

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Hhireno,

Thank you I will look again.
    Actually, today I am going to go to an all spice store a liitle further than I usually go but my DH said he will drive me and that way I do not have to worry about parking in city .
    I am sure I can find it there plus a few other things I need.
    Thanks

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Hhireno,

Thank you I will look again.
    Actually, today I am going to go to an all spice store a liitle further than I usually go but my DH said he will drive me and that way I do not have to worry about parking in city .
    I am sure I can find it there plus a few other things I need.
    Thanks

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

OK, I went and they had it. Now to make the nuts...
    Thanks

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

We make these Cooks Illustrated Rum Glazed Pecans for people every year.

Warm Spiced Pecans with Rum Glaze
    from CookâÂÂs Illustrated

2 cups raw pecan halves (8 ounces)

Spice Mix
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/8 teaspoon ground allspice

Rum Glaze
    1 tablespoon dark rum
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon dark brown sugar (light would be fine too)
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spread pecans in an even layer. Toast the pecans for about 8 minutes, or until they are fragrant, rotating the pan halfway through. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack.

While the pecans are toasting, combine the sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice in a medium bowl to make the spice mix. Set aside.

To make the glaze, bring the rum, vanilla, brown sugar and butter to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Add the toasted pecans to the pan and stir with a wooden spoon to coat the pecans with the glaze. Continue cooking until almost all of the liquid has evaporated, about 1 1/2 minutes.

Add the glazed pecans to the spice mixture. Toss to coat well. Transfer the pecans back to the parchment-lined baking sheet to cool. The nuts can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz