Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

iPad Air 2?

Holly- Kay
9 years ago

If you have one do you love it? I was at Sam's Club yesterday and saw the iPad Air. I was really impressed by how lightweight it is. I'm not buying it from Sam's because they don't have the 128GB model but I do want to buy one after Christmas from the local Apple store. Just wondering if anyone is willing to review it.

Comments (12)

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

I have one. I really, really, really dislike it.

I just replaced the first one I got 5 weeks ago because it froze, the keyboard would go upside down while I was typing, the touch pad is too or not enough sensitive.....My wi-fi connection turns on by itself. My cellular plan is usually $15 and last month it was close to $60. I rarely use the cellular wi fi.

I have the exact problems with the replacement. I am thinking it is something I am doing wrong. However, with that said, we had a power outage here and I was unable to connect with the new iPad with the cellular on yet I was able to connect with my old iPad.

Disclaimer: I am so technologically challenged that I should probably be banned from using any :-)

• eandhl
    9 years ago

A friend bought one & loves it. She has had no problems! It certainly is lighter than mine!

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I have an iPad Air. (Not the 2.) No problems with it what so ever. Love it!

ML

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

I listed all of the negative things I found with the iPad Air 2 but I should list a couple of positive things: the display is gorgeous and the iPad is very light.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the input. I can't really tell the difference between the iPad Air and the iPad Air 2 but I want 128GB and it's only available on the Air2.

Marlene the global positioning causes the iPad to right itself. You can lock it so it doesn't turn by going into settings. Go to general on the left side and put a check behind lock rotation. This will enable you to use the slider switch on the edge of the right side to lock it so it doesn't do that.

You can also turn the cellular data off in settings. Click on the left side where it says cellular. Then the top right will say cellular and if it's enabled the slide switch is green. If you slide the switch to the left it will turn off the cellular. You will still be able to use wifi but the cellular data (the data that you pay for) will be turned off. If you want to turn it back on just slide the switch to the right.

Marlene, don't feel challenged as there is a definite learning curve. The fact that you have one is great. If you bought it from the Apple Store they have a great tech staff and I think they have classes. Another thing you can do if you can't figure something out is to go to google and type you question in i.e. what do I do if my iPad freezes? You will usually find a step by step process that will help you. I discovered this as I had an text that had a Christmas surprise that I didn't want anyone to see so I googled how do I delete a text message on my iPhone. I followed the directions and voila the text was gone!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Marlene for the positives. My old iPad2 has a camera that's awful. I love how light the Air feels and I like the idea of the thumbprint security and better screen resolution but the better camera is a big selling point.

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

Holly, thank yo so much for your guidance.

I do have the cellular turned off. That's what was so weird. It would turn itself back on. ATT confirmed that it does indeed do that.

I did not know about the global positioning stuff (see how technical I am :-)) and I will follow your instructions.

I signed up with Apple for their one year support and the telephone support has been helpful. I just need to make a one on one appointment with Apple. The store is always SO busy.

Thank you SO much for your encouragement. I have had iPads for years but never took the time to really use them.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are very welcome Marlene, it's my pleasure.

My DH is so intimidated by technology but I keep telling him that the fact that he is interested in learning is great. He doesn't give himself enough credit because he can do a lot more than he thinks.

Do make an appointment for one on one. Sometimes all it takes is someone explaining it! Good luck to you and thank you so much for the feedback.

Merry Christmas!

• eandhl
    9 years ago

After I responded about my friend I don't know if she has an Air or Air2. I just knows she loves it!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I have an iPad Air mini. Truthfully, although it is lighter than my "old" mini, there's not really much difference between the two. I think the air mini has 64 gb of storage, which is plenty for me as I don't store anything on it--- all media is streamed and I use smugmug as my online photo storage. I also have about 30 gb of iCloud storage.

Although I like to try out lots of new apps (usually this time of year when the "best of" the year lists come out from newspapers, tech blogs, etc.), I purge apps every few months if I don't use them regularly, knowing they can always be retrieved from my iTunes account.

Oh, and I do not store any music on the iPads, we have a whole house Sonos system that draws music from a NAS drive and from the iTunes located on my home office laptop.

I still have an original ipad :-) it is still good for some things. And an ipad 2, and the two minis, and an iPhone 6+ that has 128 gb---although the operatin system uses about 16 gb. I got the biggest size because do keep music on that, at least about 2000 of the songs, to listen to in my car or with headphones (when safe to do so).

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

I changed jobs last week and had to turn un my iPad. Two of the corses I taught were online so I took my iPad everywhere. That night when I went home I was bemoaning the loss of my iPad, when Santa presented an early gift-the iPad Air.

I am still getting acclimated to it, but it is lighter and the camera is so much better! Over the Christmas break I plan on taking a course at the local Apple Store.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input. I have an old iPad2 and an iPad mini that is two years old. The mini takes really wonderful pics and I carry it in my purse all the time. My iPad 2 just seems to be sluggish and not up to par so I am thinking of upgrading that one.

KSWL, you are techier than I am. I love technology but DH hates it. I showed him our DGSs Santa videos while we were at their soccer game yesterday. He wasn't the least bit impressed. I thought they were cool.