Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olychick2

Books for young children?

Olychick
10 years ago

My grandson just turned 4 and loves books. He's pre-reading and has a very long attention span for being read to. I'd love to get some new books for him and didn't do enough research before Christmas to include many in his gifts.

He especially loves cats and planes and construction equipment...oh and the Statue of Liberty (but I already bought him a book about that)- he likes rhyme- and just any good story.

He recently is loving Dr. Seuss Whacky Wednesday and loves finding all the whacky things in the pics, so I'm wondering if there are other similar books that have things to find in the pics? Do you recommend Where's Waldo for his age? Any particular one?

I'd love some suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (22)

• bestyears
    10 years ago

This doesn't directly answer your question, but one of my favorite books to give families with children is Jim Trelease's Read Aloud Handbook. The author's premise is that many families stop reading aloud to their children way too early (typically once the child starts reading independently), and that reading aloud together as a family can be a wonderfully shared activity until children leave home. This book covers books from toddlerhood right up through early adulthood.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Readaloud Handbook

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Check out the American Library Association website....or visit your local children's librarian...he/she can help craft a list based on your GS' interests.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Richard ScarryâÂÂs Polite Elephant was always a favorite when my boys were small. It was written in 1962 I think so some things were un-relatable. Still, we had a good time improvising by adding some âÂÂwhat would you do or sayâ scenarioâÂÂs that included friendâÂÂs names, familiar places and such.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polite Elephant

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I got my daughter who is almost 5 and now reads herself some of the level 1 thin paper books with her favorite characters.

Also got her Cildren make terrible pets which she is able to read too.

She loves wacky Wednesday and other Seuss stories. One is funny, but can't remember the name but it is about what do you want to be.

For Christmas we got her the Tickle Monster and the fluffy gloves that goes with it. She loves it an said yesterday it was one of her favorites. She finds it harder to read though herself, and it is much more fun to read it together.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

The "I Spy" books are great for finding things. I think they make them for different ages.

There is also "Time's Big Book of Why" or maybe it's "Time's big book of facts." Either way, both my kids loved it.

I always read my Kindergarten class "How Rocket Learned to Read" at the beginning of the year when we are just learning to sound out and blend to read short words. It's sweet and funny and gets them so excited about reading. Last year I found a book to read to my class about a treasure hunt and I just remember them laughing their heads off, but I can't find the title now. I think it was a Caldecott award winner - that is another thing to look for - if it has the Caldecott award sticker on it, you know it's going to be a good read.

Lucky boy to have someone to read to him and buy him books.

• peaceofmind
    10 years ago

My favorite book for children is called "The Day the Crayons Quit". The illustrations are wonderful and the story line is fun for kids and grownups alike. I read it to my six year old granddaughter and we both loved it.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Day the Crayons Quit

• Olychick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Daisychain01, those are great recommendations - thank you so much. I've gotten some of my best book ideas from a kindergarten teacher friend, so I'll definitely check these out. If you remember the treasure hunt book, would you post it? I looked through the Caldecott list and didn't see anything that seemed to match, but I did see a couple of others I think he will like.

Lyfia, I think he is going to LOVE Children Make Terrible Pets. He loves it when things are mixed up like that. I'm ordering it tonight (well, actually I put in my shopping cart at Amazon to keep track of it, but will go to my little bookstore and see if they have it or can get it).

Bestyears, I clicked on your link and think I will order his "Hey, Listen to This: Stories to Read Aloud. It looks wonderful.

Peaceofmind, that is exactly why I posted here to find out about some books that I might have overlooked. I think he will really like the Day the Crayons quit, too.

Jterrilyn, that looks like a sweet book - he's loved the other Richard Scarry books he has. It may be a bit young for him - and he's very well mannered already, but I'm going to order it from the library and see if he is interested. Thank you.

Joaniepoanie, that is a great suggestion. I go to the library all the time and end up getting frustrated trying to select books for him...it's kind of overwhelming. Not sure why I didn't think to use the librarian for recommendations! But i will now.

Thank you all...if anyone else has books their kids love/d please post.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

While he's beginning to request more and more chapter books, our son still has a few favorite standbys: chu's day by gaiman, Where the wild things are. Anything Bernstein bears and recently he found my old worn marked colored on, dogeared Copy of Richard scarrys greatest storybook ever (has a collection of 82 different stories) in my mothers attic. He loves it for the stories and illustrations, but I also think the novelty of moms old book? I think that is also happening with all the chapter books he found. I'm not complaining! I'm glad we've fostered a love of reading.

I also find our weekly trip to the library is great. The librarian always quizzes him on the books he returns or any new interest hobby fascination he may have before suggesting new books. This week we have books on mountains snow and the friendly yeti or something? Perfect for our winter vacation.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Little Critter books are wonderful.

• Jane_the_Renovator
    10 years ago

Ten Minutes Till Bedtime, by Peggy Rathman. Lots going on in the background for someone who loves that kind of thing.

Whistle for Willie, by Ezra Jack Keats. Willie pops up in a lot of other Keats books too, so if you read them afterward he can look for Willie.

Anything by Virginia Lee Burton.

What Do You Say, Dear? This is the Maurice Sendak manners book. Absurd and funny.

Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy by Lynley Dodd

The Bill Martin Jr Big Book of Poetry. Lots of poems with illustrations by a different illustrator for every poem. Truly wonderful.

• denali2007
    10 years ago

I will second the Hairy Maclary books by Lynley Dodd Also her Slinky Malinki books. My grandsons love them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harry Maclary books

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

One of the favorite series for my kids (and me) was The Church Mice by Graham Oakley. The books follow the adventures of a group of mice, aided or at least tolerated by the Church cat, who took a vow of non-violence that he later regrets, as the mice drag him into some sticky situations. The illustrations are charming and humurous, with lots of visual side-stories going on, and the plotlines are hilarious. Some of them may be out of print, but used copies are available on Amazon. True story: My oldest child asked for copies of them for his library when he set up his first bachelor pad.

I also think some of the classics are neglected these days, Winnie the Pooh and Just-So Stories among them. They are classics for a reason!

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I remember loving aesop's fables. A quick check showed it was appropriate for ages 4 to 8

• probookie
    10 years ago

"Animalia," by Graeme Base, was a huge hit with my young niece. Each page represents a letter of the alphabet, and everything on the page starts with that letter. The illustrations are fabulous. My favorite page is "Lazy lions lounging in the local library." This book is not well suited for traditional reading aloud but works wonderfully for an adult and child (from toddler through the early school years) to enjoy together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Animalia

• polly929
    10 years ago

My 4 year old son currently loves Splat the Cat books. At night we read Goodnight, goodnight construction sight. A few more favorites on our nightly reading list: Little Blue and Little Yellow by Leo Lionni, The I'm not Scared Book, The Invisible String, and of course most of the Dr. Seuss classics. Enjoy shopping!

• denali2007
    10 years ago

I forgot about the Pete the Cat books. You can go to Harper Collins books and they have the songs you can sing along with. I think it is on you tube also.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Cars: Richard Scarry, Cars, Trucks and Things That Go -- look for Goldbug on every page.

Rhymes: Anything by Julia Donaldson (Gruffalo, Room on the Broom, Snail and the Whale, Where's My Mother)

For early reading: Froggy books, Fly Guy books, Elephant and Piggie books. The series books are so nice to borrow from the library!

• redcurls
    10 years ago

Love, love, love...still to this day...and my youngest grandchild is 12...I could probably still recite it by heart.....

Chicka-Chicka-Boom-Boom

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oldie, but goodie: Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik. Sweet, funny, and an "I can read" book. My son loved it and I always give it as baby gift along with Good Night Moon.

My son also loved the Richard Scarry truck book mentioned above. Did anyone mention Frog and Toad?

• Olychick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gosh, thank you all so much for the great ideas. I have a Pete the Cat book but didn't realize it was a series. I'll look for more. I'm very interested in the Harry McLary books, but interestingly my library doesn't have them! But they are on Amazon, so I'll give them a try.

I was going to try to thank everyone individually, but worry I'll leave someone out, so I hope you'll know that I'll look at each of these and try them out.

For anyone else reading this looking for ideas, my grandson loves a book I found called Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel. And I can second the G'night, G'night construction site. How do boys seem to emerge with an affinity for construction equipment? At 2 and younger? It's crazy!

Also, no one answered about Where's Waldo? I know it's older, but does anyone recommend it? If so, which one?

Please keep adding books if you think of more. It's great to have them all in a place to check back with. Thanks again!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Here are a few.......

Here is a link that might be useful: cat books for children

• redcurls
    10 years ago

My grandkids liked me to read the book LOVE YOU FOREVER, but to this day, I have a hard time finishing it without tears.... They also enjoyed Daisy, Get Well Soon and several other Maggie Smith books. And they LOVED Little Rabbit Foo Foo. I spent many, many hours reading with my grandkids (I was their daycare provider) The oldest will graduate high school this year, and we are seeing the rewards from all those story hours...she has a 4.897 grade point average. It definitely gives kids an advantage. ENJOY reading to your little one!!!