Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Have you ever used a reverse phone number look-up service?

Sueb20
9 years ago

I would prefer not to get into the details concerning why I want to do this, but I would like to identify a few different cell phone numbers. I have the numbers, and I want to find out who they belong to. Seems like there are all kinds of online services that do this -- Intelius is one, for example -- but you need to pay. I am willing to pay, but what information will I get for my payment? If anyone has used any of these services, can you recommend one that is legit?

Comments (24)

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

I haven't used one of these services but I have googled offending phone numbers and gotten the information I needed. I'm guessing you've already done this and desire more detailed info though?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am trying to figure out who calls are coming from. They're not telemarketers, just ordinary people's cell phones. Yes, have googled but at most, all I get is the town the phone is registered in.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

I had one the other day which, upon quick glance, showed DH's name. I figured it was him but it was a robocall. Looking closer caller ID showed both our names and our landline phone number. WTH??

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

funnygirl we had that also and after I investigated a bit found out that some 'sophisticated' telemarketers (any oxymoron if ever there was one) are able to do that - makes it look as if you're calling yourself because people tend to answer.

Sueb I use white pages reverse look up all the time or as mentioned, just google the number but have never used a pay service. If you really need to know who, then I think you may have to pay. but have you tried Spokeo? Maybe there's a reverse look up available with them and if so, I have no doubt it'll reveal who it is - they reveal quite a bit.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Hi Sue,
    Last Summer when DD got that weird call I thought about using some of those services but never did. I ended up having a private eye friend do some searching. She ended up getting the name of the company the phone was registered to, but we couldn't find any address or info on the company at all.

From what my cop friends told me, it would take a subpoena to get the user's name. Luckily she didn't get any more creepy calls and everything has been fairly quiet.

Most Private Investigators can at least get started on it, and it shouldn't be very expensive.

Beth

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Spokeo doesn't give any info for free other than the town, if that -- and with cell phones, that doesn't mean much.

Oh well. I am not above paying, I just wonder about (1) giving my credit card info to one of these companies and (2) what info I'll even get after paying!

Hopefully the mystery will solve itself soon enough.

Basically my DS, age 22 and with some mental health issues, has "run away from home" and the only info I am able to get is by logging into our cell phone account and trying to determine who he is texting and/or calling. We don't have any idea where he is but he's using his phone so we know he's alive and functioning to some degree!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

aw, Sue, I'm sorry to hear the circumstances. Hope you can get it resolved.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Oh, Sue I am so sorry. Our middle son also has mental health issues, so I feel your pain. I am praying for you and your family.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

(((Hugs))) Sue. Praying for a good outcome.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

Also, thinking of you and hoping for best possible outcome.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Sueb20,

Under the circumstances you mention, I would just pick one and pay but try to have a credit card with a very low limit on it.

Hope things work out for you.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Sueb20

Another thing you might want to do is read this article about reverse look up

Here is a link that might be useful: Look here

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Is it an iphone or android ?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you.

No, it's not an iPhone or android.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Aww Sue, I'm so sorry. I hope you can get him home safely soon. XO

Beth

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Those places you pay for info are simply mining public records that you can get on your own. They're a waste of time and won't give you cell phone info.

Have you tried just calling or texting those numbers? You can block your number when you call. Depending on the circumstances, that might be an easy way to check on them.

Sorry to hear about your son. Been there with my stepson.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I agree with Pesky...cell phone records/numbers are not linked in those sites. Save your money. I do hope your son comes back on his own and remains safe.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. He is home now.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Glad your son is home safe now, Sue. So sorry you're dealing with this difficult situation.

• anitamo
    9 years ago

Glad he's home. Hoping for the best!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Oh, you must be relieved. Thanks for letting us know.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

removed duplicate post

This post was edited by olychick on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 14:56

• abigail powell
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yeah, I'm using it even now. It helps me to know where the calls and texts came from. I also used to block unknown phone numbers that called me and bothered me with annoying stuff like advertising. So I decided to look for an application or a site on the internet to know who the owner of the unknown phone number is. I found a great site livesupportrhino.com that provides me a general access to a full report of the person behind the anonymous number. It usually includes the name, location and street. You can also find the list of area codes there.

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

Hmmm, necro post....