Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
legomom23

Another gift suggestion thread

legomom23
9 years ago

I am looking for a special Christmas gift for my 21 year old niece. She is very trendy and has all the basics that a girl her age would want. I am looking for a possible keepsake - although I think it's impossible at my price range to really get something she would keep for a long time.
Or maybe just something she hasn't thought about.
I actually thought about a silk pillowcase. Not a keepsake, but something she could take with her to new places. Like a blankie :) Does anyone have experience with those?
I am looking in the $100 - $150 price range. She will be graduating college in May and she loves to travel.

Any suggestions truly appreciated!

Comments (19)

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

If she loves to travel, does she journal her trips? If so, a nice leather-bound journal book might be nice. I have one from Gallery Leather Co I believe, and they sell them in various sizes to fit easily in a carry-on. It would be something of a keepsake in that she would remember you gave it to her and she would have a memory book of her trips. I know I like to jot down what we did on our trips each day.

From the practical side, if she is going to be traveling overseas, Brookstone has one of the best multi-purpose outlets/converters for overseas use I have used.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Is she a person who likes luxury, or more of a back-packer traveler type? If the former, I love your idea, maybe even monogrammed. I know people who travel with their own pillowcase. I used to work with a woman who travelled with her own pillow! She was very senior and glamorous, so she could get away with doing just about anything.

• legomom23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd say luxurious for college standards - although she's not high maintenance about it. She's just happy to go!
    She has traveled several times overseas so I know she has the converters covered.
    I like the journal idea. I wish I had one from my younger travels. I think especially now with digital pics, so often we don't even do pictures or scrapbooks.
    Monogramming is a great idea.
    Any sources where you think I could find a quality silk pillow case?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Soft surroundings?

My favorite travel accessory is an eye mask. They give them to you in some classes of service, but I like cotton ones.

• legomom23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry - DP

This post was edited by legomom on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 12:59

• funkyart
    9 years ago

I have two nieces in their early 20s... a few of the keepsakes they've appreciated are jewelry, artwork, a family cookbook.

Of the non-keepsake items, anything that reflects their move to an "adult" has been well received.. a grown up purse.. kitchen appliances (they're both cooks). Last year I got one of my nieces a nice coffee pot, a frother and a selection of good coffees from a local roaster-- not only did she love it but we now plan a trip to the coffee roaster whenever she's in town.

I find it hard to get "keepsake" jewelry in that price range (that's my christmas price range for nieces and nephews also). Two of my 4 nieces love the island cowgirl line (I also have a few pieces). It's a little boho so it's not for everyone.. but i think they have a lot to offer this age group and it transitions nicely from tween to teen to adult. I just bought the bracelet below for one of the girls. It's a little over your budget but they do offer 20% off if you donate to a horse rescue. I previously bought one similar (Bravery and Peace). The heartfelt bracelet is also nice at around $110. I've had it for 6 or 7 years and wear it stacked with other silver bracelets. I also have a few of the rings.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

A 100% cashmere shawl, tissue weight, is a great gift. It packs in the tiniest of spaces and works as a blanket on a plane, a wrap on a cool night or even a head covering when traveling in places where that is necessary. I would get it in black or cream for the greatest versatility. You could even add a discreet monogram.

• User
    9 years ago

A nice pen, ballpoint or fountain, makes a great keepsake gift. Or a cashmere wrap, they are great for travel. Garnet Hill has a nice one and it is on sale now. I like your idea of a silk pillowcase too, I have really long hair and have found that silk pillowcases really do help with bedhead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garnet Hill cashmere wrap

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

For keepsake-like jewelry in the 150-ish range, I think there are a few Elsa Peretti things from Tiffany. IMHO they are baubles and not great value but some girls still consider the blue box a sort of milestone.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

a tapestry for hanging & decorating. Like the kind I got at Urban Outfitters. Young people move a lot and need decor that's easy to transport and use. And she'll think of you every time she sees it.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I was also going to suggest the cashmere wrap. Or a nice carry-on bag for travel? Or a nice wallet? Kate Spade or Hobo? I have had a couple of Hobo wallets, love them.

Last year I ended up getting a few gifts from an online Kate Spade outlet...I wonder if it's still there? Just remembering this now. I bought a small clutch and a makeup bag for great prices.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Hm, I guess it wasn't an "outlet" but just a good sale for this time of year. Some great sale prices here plus a code for 20% off!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kate Spade

• legomom23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! I went with a silk pillowcase. I just needed a little confirmation that it wasn't a crazy idea. I don't think she has one and I really think she'll like it. The plus being it's supposed to be great for her hair and future wrinkles! And it will be a great addition to the super soft, but cheap throw she wanted from Sam's. I like that it's small enough to take anywhere but she'll always have something familiar at night.
    I did the cashmere wrap last Christmas, and her dad takes care of all of her purse and wallet needs for now - and does a way better job than I could :)
    Thanks!

• funkyart
    9 years ago

I am thinking I'd love a silk pillowcase and so would my sister--do you have a great source to recommend?

• legomom23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the site I used given the little research I did. There weren't a lot of choices out there and this got the best reviews. I think the mulberry silk is what to look for as far as being durable. I went with the 22 momme. I think most places sell 16 and the reviews were they didn't hold up well.
    Of course, I know nothing of this company other than what I found on the web today.
    I might order myself one too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Silk

• legomom23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sueb - thanks for that link - great deals and the discount is up to 25% now. I found a few things!

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I see I am too late but I just ordered this for my 22 year old niece,not a keepsake but fun for this age bracket.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look here

• legomom23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's awesome - I think my son will love it and come in handy for him. Thanks!

• legomom23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And they had it in gold - with a matching charging cord - he will be thrilled!