Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edieallie

Please post your Breakfast Casserole recipe!

OllieJane
11 years ago

Can you believe it?? I have never made a breakfast casserole! I was wanting to surprise my family and make a couple during Christmas break, and would love for you to post your "tried and true" recipes. We like anything, chile peppers, sausage, etc..

Thanks!!

Comments (18)

• golddust
    11 years ago

I haven't either! I make frittata but my favorite recipe is so involved. Can't wait for responses. Great thread.

• maddielee
    11 years ago

My Christmas morning brunch HAS to have a couple of quiches (made the day before, served at room temperature) and the following dish. Make it the day before and finish cooking in the morning.

Sausage/Beef/Rice Breakfast Casserole. (Southern Living Magazine)

1 (6-ounce) package long-grain and wild rice mix

1 pound ground pork sausage (Jimmy Dean)

1 pound ground beef

1 large onion, chopped

1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms (i've used the jarred, they work fine)

1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained

1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley

3 tablespoons soy sauce

1 (2.25-ounce) package sliced natural almonds (1/2 cup)

Preparation

Cook rice mix according to package directions.

Cook sausage and ground beef in a large skillet, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Cook onion and mushrooms in same skillet over medium heat 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.

Combine rice, sausage and beef, onion and mushrooms, water chestnuts, parsley, and soy sauce; stir well. Spoon mixture into an ungreased 13" x 9" baking dish. Cover and chill casserole overnight.

Remove from refrigerator, and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350� for 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Note: You don't have to refrigerate the casserole overnight. Just spoon it into the baking dish and bake, uncovered, at 350� for 20 minutes or until heated.

• porkandham
    11 years ago

My mother made this every Christmas, and now I'm carrying on the tradition.

6 slices of bread, cubed
    1 pound sausage, browned
    1 cup of shredded cheese
    6 eggs
    2 cups milk
    1 teaspoon dry mustard

Layer the bread, sausage, and cheese in a greased 9x12 pan. Mix the eggs, milk, and mustard together and pour over the casserole.
    Refrigerate overnight.
    Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until cooked through.

• vickij
    11 years ago

My recipe is exactly like porkandham's although I leave the sausage out and serve links as a side to accommodate the vegetarians in the family. I'm going to try the rice casserole as it sounds yummy.

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

Mine is very similar.But it uses a loaf of cubed white bread,crusts removed. It calls for swiss cheese and there is chopped parsley. You put it together in a greased 9x13 pan the night before and cover and refrigerate. Then pop in when you are ready. I put it in oven just before we would begin to open presents.
    It is our Christmas breakfast tradition.

• mary_lu_gw
    11 years ago

Mine is also very similar, but uses ham, broccoli and onion and also more bread that is not cubed.

bottom:
    6 slices of bread,crust cut off, butter and place butter side down in 9x13 baking pan

center:
    2 cups chopped ham
    chopped onion
    10 oz. chopped broccoli florets (can use frozen)cook slightly first
    shredded cheese (1 cup ?)

top:
    6 slices bread, crust cut off, butter and place butter side up

mix and then pour over top of layers:
    6 eggs
    2 cups milk
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon salt

cover and refrigerate over night.

bake at 325 for 60-65 minutes, remove and sprinkle shredded cheese over top and place back in 500 oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melted.

Remove and let sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

You might have fun going through these....recipes from bed and breakfasts...

Here is a link that might be useful: BB on line recipes

• legomom23
    11 years ago

This is our tradition. It's delicious!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sausage, egg, sundried tomato casserole

• caminnc
    11 years ago

This is the one I use.

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
    3-4 c. (frozen) hash browns
    1 lb. sausage
    1 med. onion, chopped
    3/4 cup green and red bell peppers
    12 eggs, beaten
    2 c. milk
    4 c. grated cheddar cheese
    Garlic salt
    Pepper

Cover bottom of greased 9 x 13 inch dish with hash browns. Brown onion and bell peppers with sausage; drain and spread over potatoes. Cover with cheese. Mix eggs and milk; season to taste. Pour over mixture in dish. Refrigerate overnight. Bake 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees until done.

• OllieJane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

See, I had no idea you would need to refrigerate some overnight! So many sound good!

We are suppose to get SNOW for Christmas Day this year! YIPPPEE! So, I will be shopping for a couple of different ones and make a smaller one for my dad too.

They probably wouldn't be good heated up again to eat later, would they?

• pugga
    11 years ago

This is an Amish Breakfast Casserole recipe I found on Allrecipes.com. I've made it a lot and passed the recipe along to friends who also like it.

Original recipe makes 12 servings
    1 pound sliced bacon, diced
    1 medium sweet onion, chopped
    6 eggs, lightly beaten
    4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
    2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
    1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese

Directions

In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
    Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until set and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

• pugga
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention that I make this up the day before, only because I don't like to mess around in the morning. It works fine either way.

• mary_lu_gw
    11 years ago

olliesmom, not sure about the others, but the one I make tastes great warmed up. The flavors are almost better the 2nd day. Always look forward to leftovers!

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

The one I make is the same as cam's except with bacon (cooked and cut up) instead of sausage. It's so good! I only make it twice a year, on Christmas and Easter.

I'm also making a French toast casserole because one of my kids doesn't like eggs.

Here is a link that might be useful: French toast casserole

• jlj48
    11 years ago

Mine is similar to Porkandham's.
    5 slices of bread - crust removed
    5 eggs beaten
    1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese
    2 cup milk
    salt and pepper
    1 tsp. dry mustard.
    Fry a pound of bacon.
    Layer bread, cheese and egg, milk, mustard, salt and pepper mixture several times in casserole dish. Put in fridge overnight. Crumble bacon and put in baggie.
    Bake while opening Christmas presents for 1 hour at 350*
    Put bacon on top. Serve with fresh fruit and monkey bread. Yumm!!

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I don't suppose you would need to refridge overnight with the hash browns but you need to with the bread because it needs time to soak up the egg mixture. It's just nice to get up, have it all made and ready to pop in the oven. I have fixed many different ones over the years and you can add just about anything you like. They are all good. Just be sure to cook it long enough until the eggs are well set.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Do you believe I've never had a breakfast casserole? Christmas breakfast is our last family event for the holiday. Christmas day is either spent hanging out, nibbling and playing scrabble or visiting in-laws, neighbors, etc.

We do have a large spread for christmas--muffins, breads, danish, fruit..and dad cooks individual egg sandwiches for every person. Every. Person. And then seconds lol. I sure wouldnt do it but he wouldnt have it any other way.

• User
    10 years ago

Those of you who posted egg casseroles - any idea of cooking times if I double the recipe using a large foil roasting pan instead of the 9x12 or 9x13 pans suggested for single recipes?

I'm feeding a horde of people this weekend. The egg casserole will be one of two dishes to be baked at the same time so one large pan each would work best.

Thanks!