Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Supplements and a fab side effect that could change my life!

jterrilynn
9 years ago

Hi all and Happy New Year!
As many of you may know from Annie's post I broke my toe and then a few weeks into the mend sprained the same foot by stopping a fall. This was over Thanksgiving and Christmas which was a big inconvenience with not being able to walk. Annie suggested the The Great Mender supplement which sent me on a course of other supplements that might be helpful.

I started with The Great Mender.

A week later I added 4 doses nightly of Premium Chlorella Spirulina by Good Natured , 2 capsules of Cissus Pro 1000 by Keter Wellness and 2 capsules of Dr. Christopher's Complete Tissue and Bone formula 100. A few weeks in I ran out of the tea pills but continued with the above nightly doses of the others. I'm gradually increasing the Chlorella Spirulina as the dose is 15. Can't do 15 yet as it causes serious commode time but I guess building up gradually is normal.

My bone healed well and I'm now walking lightly with one crutch but that's not the best part. The best part is that my whole life I have had some sort of sleep disorder. It's pretty much run my life in that I never felt rested when waking, my concentration and energy was zip. I never scheduled appointments too early as I didn't even trust myself on the road. In my adult life I have had very few jobs that required an early rise. This last year I wake several times in the night almost as though I stopped breathing, that part is new. Well guess what one of these supplements or perhaps the combination is giving me a wonderful night's sleep with me waking up feeling rested at 7:00. With the exception of occasional doses of Lunesta I have never experienced this in my life that I can remember. I had tried supposed natural sleep aids in the past and they were useless. While I can't claim to be up to my husbands chirpy morning standards I am somewhere between 40 and 50% improved. This could be a life changer for me. What a great side effect to me when my goal was just to improve my joint, bone and circulation health. My love life is better as well as in more powerful for lack of a better word here.

I do not know enough about supplements to suggest anyone to do as I'm doing. In fact I have always been leery of so called natural supplements. I have even spoke against such things because drugs also have some of the same components and one needs to be careful when not knowing interactions, or if they have undiagnosed health issues where so called natural can be hazardous. So, please do your own research. I take no prescribed meds so took the plunge.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 12:52

Comments (15)

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Wow! I am so happy for you. Talk about silver linings. I hope it continues to work for you and your sleep improves even more.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

I'm really interested in the sleep issues. A few times lately I've had that sensation of feeling as though I've stopped breathing. DH has sleep apnea and so I'm familiar with those breathing patterns. This has only happened to me a couple of times and I wasn't sure whether I'd been dreaming or whether my breathing actually did become irregular. My heart was beating pretty fast upon awakening. At any rate, I'm interested in your experience and appreciate your post! Since menopause, sleeping has been issue. Anything which might help would be wonderful!

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by funnygirl on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 13:13

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My sleep issues have always been that I never felt like I was in a deep sleep most of the night. I was a very light sleeper until about five or six in the morning as this is the time I think I went into a deep sleep. So, when the kids were young this was a real problem when I had to get up early. My husband would often do the morning with the kids so that I could get an extra hour to an hour and a half. Without that extra time I would literally walk around banging into walks. According to my parents I have been like that since birth. I was meant to do a sleep clinic last year but never did. The doctor I went to for that referral gave me the same advice for tricks to a good nightâÂÂs sleep that I had already tried. So far since on the supplements I havenâÂÂt woken with that out of breath feeling but itâÂÂs too early in my self-program to know if that part is gone. I also want to state with caution again that IâÂÂm not recommending my line of self-treatment because I have read that some sleep disorders can be dangerous.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

That's excellent news! I'm so glad re sleep and the foot. Wonderful.

You might think about going to someone who specializes in Chinese medicine...my neighbor, who recommended the stuff, does Chinese medicine and acupuncture. They have a completely different approach to health...create the enviroment for you body to thrive in and it will...treat the patient not the symptom. Perhaps with the right formulation, you can improve even more. I have to admit that he, she and their 2 children are absolutely the picture of health and vim and vigor, so they must be doing something right.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, I cannot believe IâÂÂm admitting this as IâÂÂve always up till now been skeptical but I think I may look into that suggestion. Saying that though I have no idea how to go about finding someone who is truly educated and credentialed in such things and who I would trust to give me supplements that were proven non-taunted. Although I was skeptical I have to say western world prescription drugs of any kind have never agreed with me. I have never used a prescription pain killer that didnâÂÂt make me sick. I usually have an opposite reaction with any other script drugs I have tried over the years for various other ailments. ItâÂÂs always the sameâ¦the side effects override anything good they might do. I seem to be very sensitive. Maybe IâÂÂm an alien lol.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

>Annie, I cannot believe IâÂÂm admitting this as IâÂÂve always up till now been skeptical but I think I may look into that suggestion

Well, you know, to my surprise both my endocrinologist and my pulmonologist have suggested that I see a local Chinese medicine practitioner. (Their independent suggestions, not my idea.) And they're about as mainstream as you can get and never, ever agree about anything.

EDIT:

>western world prescription drugs of any kind have never agreed with me

Yes, that's why they suggested I try it.

This post was edited by writersblock on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 19:16

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Maybe this will help....

Here is a link that might be useful: NCCAOM Find a practitioner

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Annie, I did give half an attempt at this before with no luck in my area. So, IâÂÂll give it another go.
    I was thinking today that one of the other reasons I didnâÂÂt go to the sleep clinic is that my many online searches on my sleep problems never showed anything that pertained to me so I got a bit discouraged about it all.
    Today however I came across some info on Ciradian Rhythm sleep disorders CRSDs or CSDs and found my fit. There are five types, I am a match for the Delayed Sleep Syndrome. My brother also had some sort of sleep syndrome. He would walk around in a sound sleep and sometimes talk or seem agitated. It was hard to wake him.

Wrttersblock, maybe I'll meet you at the clinic one of these days. If we end up going there are not many around our neck of the woods.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

There is definitely something to a supplement or a combination of several for various problems, but i've been a 'believer' for a good portion of my life, and i'm 72. I have sleep issues also, and I think it was Annie who suggested taking a B12 supplement. At the same time I was taking a joint supplement. I had been taking the joint supplement for a few months, by itself, but had no side effects, good, bad, or indifferent. I said to my DD after a couple of weeks on the B12 that I was sleeping great, and believed it was the combination of supplements. I also feel wide awake when I get up and am getting up earlier! Unfortunately I don't have a 'love life' since I don't have a man/partner/SO, but should I meet someone..........lol

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

jterrilynn, I'm not sure where you are but my doctors recommended the one on East Ocean in Stuart, if you're around here anywhere.

BTW, I also walked in my sleep when I started developing thyroid problems. Your brother might want to have a TSH level done the next time he gets blood work.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

IâÂÂm in P.B.GâÂÂs so not far.

My brother is no longer with us. He was murdered in the Upper Peninsula MI in the eighties. ItâÂÂs a cold case. There are at least two other men that disappeared in a similar way over ten years from that time frame.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patti, I just added Jarrow Formulas B-12 to help with the sleep related fog. I will check in with you all if it makes a difference.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, jterrilynn. What a tragedy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Oh so sorry to hear about your brother. My deepest sympathies.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer