Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Beauty mavens! Help me pick a curling wand

lkplatow
9 years ago

My 13 year old daughter wants a "curling wand" for Christmas. I think it is like a curling iron, but with a fatter wand and no clamp part to clip your hair into the iron before curling. There seem to be hundreds of them on amazon in all different sizes and shapes and ranging from $20 up to about $200! I am a super-low-maintenance hair person -- my hair basically air dries and I brush it-- so I have no idea where to start. She currently flat-irons her hair every day so I am not sure how much she'll actually use this -- flatter-than-a-pancake seems to be the style in her age group. So I would prefer not to spend a ton, but I don't want to buy a piece of cheap garbage either. And I have no idea about the different sizes and shapes. I think one of her friends used one on her at a sleepover, but I don't know which type they had.

Has anyone used a curling wand? Can you recommend a decent starter one? And maybe explain how they are different from curling irons (which I do have experience with back in my own high school days, LOL!) Thanks!

Comments (6)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Never heard of it, but I would go with the brand that she is currently using for the flat iron. I would google them to see which one has the best ratings.
    Cheap is never good when it comes to these styling tools.
    Hopefully, you will catch a good sale.'I will be interested to see what comes up here.

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

A curling wand basically just changes the shape of the curls. It gives a different look. It's usually used to create a more casual, messy look.

As to which ones, I would pick something mid range on the price spectrum honestly. Go by reviews. I've owned quite a bit of high and mid to low end hair gadgets and I feel name is a lot of what you pay for. I've bought expensive equipment in the past thinking it would last forever. Wrong! You can get something mid range that works just as well. My CHI flat iron took a puke the other day (same day I got my new cut) and I'll be buying a different brand while out today.

There are pretty good sales floating around right now so that is a plus.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 13:43

• yayagal
    9 years ago

A good flat iron is the Chi which runs about $79.00 to $100.00. I've purchased them for two of my grands and they lasted five years of daily use and then got new ones again.
    For a less pricey one you can't beat Clairol products, they make a good flat iron.
    I doubt she'd want a real curling iron as, yes you can flatten hair if you know it like a pro, it can be difficult so stay away from that and go for the flat. I think the one to one and a half is the most manageable one.
    Most of my hairdressers in my salon use them. I prefer the Chi.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

I had to google to find the difference between curling wand and curling iron. Now I know :) There are lots of youtubes on this.

Hmmmm.....bet my DD would love one. I noticed when visiting her last weekend, she was trying to get THAT look with her curling iron..I'm thinking Christmas present.

Here is a link that might be useful: curling wand vs curling iron

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

I had to google to find the difference between curling wand and curling iron. Now I know :) There are lots of youtubes on this.

Hmmmm.....bet my DD would love one. I noticed when visiting her last weekend, she was trying to get THAT look with her curling iron..I'm thinking Christmas present.

Here is a link that might be useful: curling wand vs curling iron

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Costco has Sultra curling rods (wands) on sale now. I can't vouch for the curling rod, but I do have the Sultra flat iron and it is a quality product and works beautifully. It also has a two year guarantee and Costco's awesome return policy if it doesn't work out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sultra at Costco