Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

making own coffee in keurig

User
11 years ago

One of the items on my Christmas wish list, I think, is a Keurig Coffee maker. I would like to make my own coffee in it instead of buying the Kcups all the time, which can be expensive. I understand I will need to buy a My Kcup filter to do that. Anyone brew coffee this way?

Comments (25)

• Oakley
    11 years ago

We used to but the Kcups were getting ridiculously expensive because we drink a lot of coffee.

I tried using my My Kcup but it was a hassle. You have to clean it between cups of coffee. So we went back to Mr. Coffee, or instant coffee in-between. lol

I was wondering if they still sell as many Kuerigs as they used to because of the price?

• maddielee
    11 years ago

We had a Keurig.

If you drink more then one cup at a time, it will be easier to have at least 2 of the my kcups. Then you can load them at the same time so they are ready when you are.

Because we drink more then one cup of coffee in the morning, it didn't work for us. Those few seconds waiting for the 2nd (or 4th) cup to brew seemed an eternity.

ML

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I'll be honest with you-- I have a keurig (actually, I have 2) but I HATE using the keurig cups for my own coffee. It's not the hassle so much, it's that it makes a much weaker cup of coffee--even if you fill it to the top (but doing so, makes a mess in the bin). The water doesn't flow through it the same way so that may be the issue.. I am sure it isnt my coffee because I don't have issues with weak coffee in my regular coffeemaker.

Instead, I buy my kcups on amazon when they are on sale-- larger quantities are usually the best deal.

I am glad I have it.. I keep it in my office (which is upstairs) so it's nice to be able to make a cup of coffee without running down to the kitchen. Also, I rarely want to make a full pot in the afternoon or evening so it's a great way to get a quick cup without brewing a whole pot.

My grandmother LOVES hers--even though the coffee is more expensive, it's super easy and she rarely drinks more than 2 cups through the day. My parents gave theirs to my niece in college for the very same reason Maddielee stated-- it's easier for them to brew a pot for two.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mmmm, I was on the fence about the Keurig,because of the price, but now maybe I dont want one. Maybe all I need to do is to learn how to make 2 cups of coffee in our 10 cup coffee maker, LOL.

• OllieJane
    11 years ago

We have a Keurig and love it, but, we only drink our big cup of morning coffee. My DH only has a cup, but I have sort of a mug. I use the same Kcup twice for my mug of coffee. First, I put it on the smallest (strongest) setting and brew that, then I set it on the next-to-smallest setting and brew that. Makes it more strong the way I like it.

I also use it to brew tea.

I love how handy it is, and even though it's still expensive, I go to Sam's and buy the huge box of Kcups they sell there. The last one was Starbucks Morning Blend, I think.

If you drink coffee all day, it will get really expensive, and you'd probably be better off with a regular coffee maker.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Roseabby, I wouldn't discount it if you only make 2 cups in the morning. I haven't found many coffeemakers that make 2 cups well (the one exception is the Breville Youbrew--which I returned because it just didnt make the coffee hot enough for me). If you are only making 2 cups a day, you spread the price difference across a much longer period of time.. and honestly, it makes a great, consistent cup of coffee every time.

It's just not practical if two or more of you are having a number of cups of coffee in succession. It does recycle quickly..

We also use the keurig at family gatherings and parties. It's the best way to serve tea, coffee and decaf without much effort.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had coffee at my friend's house last week, she has a new keurig, I loved the coffee, but the expense still bothers me. I think I might still look at single cup coffee makers and see what is out there. Any recommendations?

• maddielee
    11 years ago

Rose, Mr. Coffee makes a 4 Cup model. Maybe that would work for you?

ML

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks ML. I actually have a 5 cup maker, but I would like to just make a single cup of coffee.

• sis3
    11 years ago

I have a Bosch Tassimo and love it. It works perfectly for us (not big coffee drinkers). It was disappointing for some of my guests when Starbucks switched from supplying Tassimo to supplying to Keurig. Now Starbucks have brought out their own single serve machines so I suspect that Keurig too have now lost Starbucks coffee.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

I saw this one advertised on television recently, and thought it was a great concept. You use the scoop to scoop out your coffee from the can, and then just insert the scoop right into the machine. Reviews look pretty good too....

Here is a link that might be useful: Hamilton Beach Single Scoop Coffee Maker

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

We have the Hamilton Beach machine that bestyears linked. I bought it last year when GMA had it as one of their Friday deals - I got it for $30. It was a Christmas gift for dh. I don't drink coffee so I can't attest to the type of coffee it makes, but dh likes a strong cup and he says it does pretty well. It's simple to use, there are no K cups involved, and it comes with two scoops. It's adjustable so you can serve it right into a coffee mug, or you can brew it right into your travel mug, which he does most of the time as he drinks it on his way to work.

I had looked at Keurig but got conflicting reviews as to whether it would make his coffee strong enough. I also didn't like the waste of all that trash from the K-cups. Everyone I know who has the machine uses those, so no one could give me a straight answer on whether the reusable filter worked well.

Anyway, so far we are happy with the Hamilton Beach single serve. It's rare that we have the need to make more than one cup at a time so it's fine for us. I have been contemplating looking at the kind that has both the single serve and the pot but not sure it's really necessary for us.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

From everything I read the Kcups are just instant coffee that is filled with flavorings for the most part. I had one, son has had two that broke and that's the snag with them, they break easily. Soooo I went and got the new speedy Farberware pot and I love it. It brews an entire pot in under four minutes. Still think a perked cup is the best. My last Farberware ran daily at my business for 40 years and I still have it.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

instant coffee with flavors? Hmm.. i think that may be the case with some of the mocha flavors but that's not the case with the coffees. You can get a wide variety of things in Kcups-- including cider, teas, chai and.. well, coffee.

My keurig is going on 4 years (at least) without a problem-- that's much longer than my much more expensive capresso lasted. My sister in law did have a problem with her Keurig about a year after she bought it-- but they replaced it free of charge.

You should definitely get the coffeemaker that best suits your needs. The one cup brewer sounds interesting.. my keurigs were both gifts and I've been happy to have them (even if I no longer use it daily)

• 3katz4me
    11 years ago

If you want to brew one cup at a time just get one of those single cup drip makers that you set on top of your cup. Put in a filter and coffee, heat water in microwave and pour. Very simple, very good, very cheap. I think the Keurig is a huge rip off. If that many people can afford those we must not be in an economic slump.

I'm in China right now and I have to say I kind of like their super fast electric hot water pots. Every hotel room has one primarily for tea but one room had a mini French press pot for coffee. You could use one of those but I think they're kind of a mess to clean plus you get some sludge in your cup - unlike the single cup drip maker.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Gosh - Keurigs are still very popular here. I know many people that LOVE theirs. Hubby and I neither one drink coffee but we have a couple of keurigs at my work and I occasionally use one. Like Funky said, there are other items, hot chocolates, lattes, etc. and it's good I don't have one at home because I would drink far too much of the stuff that is not good for me. LOL

Expense wise, well I guess you have to figure it all out. Many people I know that now use a keurig are those that would stop for a morning cup at Starbucks. Also, as mentioned by in bulk. Bed Bath and Beyond carries the machines, do they have the coffees, etc? If so, you can use their coupons.

tina

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

DH got me one a couple years ago for Christmas but I ended up returning it before I even used it. Once I saw that I had to buy individual cups, I said it wasn't for me. Too much waste going in our landfill stream. Even with the My Cup it was a waste to me.

I have figured out how to make a couple cups in our 12c machine and that works for me. I bought a great coffee scoop that measures out perfectly, 2 cups (on the carafe) water to each scoop and it's just right.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Yes, BBB carries the kcups too, Tina. My bf figured out the average $/cup of the keurig vs. regular coffee .. because he's that kind of a guy. I don't remember what they differences were (because I am that kind of woman!).. no, really it depends on what kind of coffee beans you are buying and how strong you make your coffee.

I just checked amazon and it has a deal for one of my favorite coffees at $63.96 for 96 pods.. that's $.67 for a cup of coffee if you only use a pod for one cup. Some people do run 2 cups through a pod...making the second cup smaller.

If I buy the same coffee beans (Caribou Mahogany) at $9.99/12 oz, I can expect about 50 cups of coffee from the bag (your results.. and mine will vary based on how finely you grind your beans and how strong you make your coffee. I am using the avg reported by Joe Internet) so the cost, on average, for a cup of home brewed coffee is $.20.

Yes, that's a big difference.. $.47 per cup; $3.50 a week. However, as Tina mentioned.. it's much cheaper than a cup of coffee from Starbucks, McDonalds or your corner gas station. It also doesn't figure in the waste if you don't finish a pot of coffee (I have waste at times.. sometimes a full cup of coffee or more in the pot. Sometimes I will reheat.. often not).

I think that's a valid reason to stick with brewing-- particularly if you brew a less expensive kind of coffee. I also think there's validity in the waste produced with Kcups (though they have made some changes and continue to look at more environmentally-friendly kcups). On the flip side, the simplicity and convenience is undeniable. You want a cup of coffee-- just put a pod in, push the button and dispense. It's always an easy, quick, consistent and good cup of coffee.

I don't use the keurig as my daily coffeemaker-- partially because of the number of cups I drink and the amount of waste in the discarded Kcups.. and partially because not ALL of my favorite coffees are available in Kcups. The price wasn't a big consideration-- though it is a valid reason.

I don't know what yaya read but I can say my coffees have never been instant--or flavored! Blech... but there are plenty of brands and varieties of kcups so perhaps some are little more than that.

Again, the keurig may not be the best option for you-- my own family is split. My sister, SIL and grandmother would fight you for theirs -- the nieces and nephews too because they love that they can make their own hot chocolate! My parents, other sis and I both use regular brewers day-to-day, however my parents use the keurig for holidays and in their motorhome. I use mine in my upstairs office. There is definitely a place for them in some homes and in some lifestyles.

Hope the cost and lifestyle summary help some of you evaluate clearly what will work for you!

• allison0704
    11 years ago

DH wanted a Keurig, so we recently bought the mini at BB&B. Used 20% plus they had a rebate. Got it for 50% off their regular price. We bought some K cups there, a small variety.

If you order from Keurig.com, the club gives you 10% off - prices were better for what we wanted than Amazon. They were having an extra $1 per box. I received a code in my last order, just used this morning.

Once you get 500 club points, it goes up to 15% off per box. The points are traded for "something," but I don't recall what.

DH still used his coffeemaker in the morning, since he drinks a lot. Uses the Keurig in the afternoon. He used to just save the leftover from the morning, but DD1 moved back home and she drinks it when she gets up.

I have to say I am enjoying making chai (K cups) and hot tea (just hot water plus my tea bags) daily. I just ordered some hot chocolate today. I've only bought 1 Starbucks Chai since we purchased and I've all but stopped drinking Coke. I don't drink coffee, so Coke was my caffeine in the morning.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well made my decision.... I bought the Keurig Elite at Walmart this morning. It was on sale for $88.00. Should work out for me as I only drink one cup of coffee in the morning.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I have had a Black and Decker Brew & Go personal coffee maker for almost 15 years and the coffee tastes fine to me. Here is the current version. It brews 15 ounces of coffee using 2 tablespoons of ground coffee.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brew & Go

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good thing I didnt buy the tassimo one. I am just reading that there was a massive recall on them earlier this year.

• sis3
    11 years ago

That surprised me Roseabbey as neither my Tassimo, nor the many others that were purchased by friends and family who enjoyed the coffee from mine, were recalled. However I think you may be referring to a small part that was sent out to Tassimo owners to prevent a possible (but highly unlikely IMHO) scalding issue. It was two second job to replace.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

We keep the small Keurig in our motor home and it is perfect.

I buy the k-cups at Kohls when I get 20 or 30% off coupons which makes them reasonable. Limited choice but good choices.

I got dd a Keurig for Christmas. Perfect for her since she is the only coffee drinker in her family.

• User
    10 years ago

We tried using our own coffee but it clogged up the machine and we had to replace it. K cups are cheaper purchased from amazon online in bulk.