Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellendi_gw

Call out to Joaniepoanie

ellendi
10 years ago

Hi Joanie, just wondering what happened with your sick friend and hope she is OK.

Comments (9)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Ellendi....thank you for asking. Sadly, she passed away last Sunday. Her husband had returned an email I sent her a few weeks ago just saying they had taken her to the ER the previous Monday. I hesitated to call right away, but when I did not hear back I called Sunday afternoon, about two hours after she passed away in hospice. I was not aware she had been taken to hospice. It's been hard but with the kids all home and the holidays it's been both a distraction and a comfort. Even keeping up with Garden Web has been strangely comforting.

When I spoke to her husband he insisted I not do anything.....so I waited until today. I just finished making some muffins and a chicken pot pie to take over. Her son called my son and they are getting together tonight which I am glad about. He told his mother before she died that he was planning to propose to his GF. Her other son is getting married in May. It's so sad she won't see the weddings but at least she died knowing the boys were "settled." Her husband is supposed to retire in January...too bad he didn't retire sooner and enjoy the time with her.

A coworker died unexpectedly this summer...she was just a few years older than me. Her death and now my friend's death are cementing my desire to retire next year when I turn 62. You just never know what life will throw at you...I'd like at least a few years to be free from work and before any illnesses set in. Neither one had that... and everyone deserves it. It's certainly a lesson I wish I hadn't learned through losing two friends.

• ellendi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So sorry hearing this news. Thanks for the update.

Joanie, I understand how you are feeling as we are about the same age.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry Joanie, but appreciate the update. You only get one life and you never know what the future holds. A cliche, but it has resonated with me: You're only young once.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Thank you Ellendi and Bumble.....we spoke with her husband and son for a few minutes when we took the food over tonight. Ironically, the cancer was at bay and they were hoping the tumors would shrink even more in the next 6 mos so that they would have more options, possibly surgery. It was the chemo that took her life...her liver gave out from all the toxins. A few days before she went to the ER she had been shopping with a friend for a dress for her sons wedding..the friend had taken pictures in the dressing room and she looked beautiful...big smile on her face. Her latest blood work and MRI looked fine...no one saw this coming. In another bit of irony...her husband has been a chemist with the National Cancer Institute for 30 years. The service is tomorrow....still just so hard to fathom. Thanks again for the kind words.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry for all involved...

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Sad.....

I'm sorry as well.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

what a sad story, seems so unfair. My condolences to you.

• awm03
    10 years ago

joanie, sorry to hear this sad news. Blessing to you all.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone....the service was yesterday followed by a nice reception in the church hall. Her husband and boys held it together pretty well. There were about 6-8 pictures of her trying on dresses for her son's upcoming wedding (about 10 days before she died) and her husband said he would email them to everyone who left their email address. What a lovely gesture on his part. The boys return to their homes today. Her husband is still planning to retire at the end of January. I'm sure he's numb at this point and January will be a difficult month for him as the reality sets in...also because she would have turned 60 on January 9th. She was doing so well, it's just hard to come to terms that she died way too young.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz