Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmor

need advice recipe binder

happy2b…gw
10 years ago

Hi Everyone, I am a lurker who enjoys the conversations. I am assembling a recipe binder of my mother's recipes for my daughters. Each page of the binder (front and back) has two plastic pockets to slip in 4x6 recipe cards. Some of my mother's recipes span front and back of the card. How would you arrange the recipe cards? Should I print the cards double sided? Do you think that it is practical and convenient not to have to take the recipe card out of pocket to refer to or flip the page to see the continuation of the recipe? If I print the recipe on two single sided cards, I could put them on the same page. Would anyone be concerned about soiling the binder if the recipe cards are left in during cooking? I am overthinking this? Right? Just want everything to be perfect for my daughters. Seems to be my modus operandi lately. Thanks a bunch. Linda

Comments (7)

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

I wouldn't print the cards on both sides. Your daughters would have to handle the cards either before they start to prepare the item, or in the middle of the process, potentially getting something on the cards.

I wouldn't worry about the binder staying perfectly clean. Odds are it will -- your daughters will treasure this family item! (Plus, there are acrylic book-protector items out on the market in which you tuck a cookbook behind while using it.)

Have you purchased all of the binders yet? If not, you might consider doing an slightly larger one, maybe 8.5X11, in which you could use a single page for each recipe, with a beautiful photo of the completed food item facing the recipe page.

(One other thing: Are any of the recipe cards in your mother's handwriting? If so, including a photo of those, here and there, would be a lovely touch!)

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I did something similar, but did not have cards -- just regular sized sheets. Definitely don't make them fiddle with flipping cards over.

I wouldn't worry about the binder getting dirty -- what's a treasured recipe collection without a few treasured recipe stains? You should see my copy of The Joy of Cooking!

One suggestion: Provide the daughters with a digital copy; either type up the recipes yourself and provide them in a word document, or scan the cards and put the file on a flash drive. Lots of people use comps and pads for recipes these days, and makes a nice back up if the binder gets lost or something.

• camlan
    10 years ago

The binder I use for recipes has sheet protectors for 8.5 x 11" paper. I take the page I want to use out of the binder when I want to make that recipe. The sheet protector keeps the page clean.

So, for ease of use, I think your idea of printing a longer recipe on two cards and putting both cards on the same page would work best. No flipping; no need to take a card out of the sleeve. And if they don't have to touch the book while cooking, the main problem in keeping it clean will be flying bits of cookie dough if they turn the mixer up too high.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Can you add a few old family pictures in among the recipes? That would be a nice touch.

I agree with the above suggestions: I take the page out when I'm using it. I want to see it all on the same page. I have a few recipes I will never make but enjoy seeing the orginal handwriting so I keep them in the binder.

I have one recipe written by my nephew when he was 6, he's now 28. It's for white cheese rice. He wrote: take cooked white rice, now take your favrite cheese (must be shreded). Spred on top of rice. Microwave for 20-30 secends.

This might just be me but I don't like my recipe binder too organized. I like to flip through the collection looking for one because I am reminded of other things I should make. I always come away with the original thing I was seeking and 2-3 ideas for the next few days.

It's a nice idea to create the binders. I hope your daughters enjoy them.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I still have my mother's metal recipe holder and a big binder full of recipes with jokes she collected and are mixed in with them. If these were put together I would take photos, including the jokes and add pics of family too. Photographing is much faster than scanning and better resolution.

More than just recipes, you have a wonderful history of your mom. It will take time to do this (if the size of my collection), but well worth the gift. Yes to one recipe on a page, rather than two sided. And a special binder which might have a pic of her era.

• happy2b…gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions and helping me sort this out.What a wealth of useful first hand information! I will definitely print the longer recipes on multiple cards. I have been scanning the recipes which my mother mostly wrote by hand. It appears that she anticipated someday passing these on because on some she wrote in notes, ex. "Minnie's cheesecake" and "my Aunt Mary made this cake for our birthdays". There are several recipes cut out from magazines taped on the card which are interesting for the graphics of the era. I am especially enjoying her comments about how she tweeked the recipe.

pammyfay - Thanks for the wonderful ideas. I googled recipe book holders and found many that are quite nice. I have the binders for this project , but for myself I think that I would enjoy the 8x11 binder.

Violet.West - You would definitely appreciate my mother's recipes. They are smudged, splattered, smeared, and scribbled on. Makes them even more special. Great suggestion about the flash drive. Daughters all have ipads and such; not sure if they cook from one, but I do.

camlan - Love the flying cookie dough comment- so true- who hasn't done that? plastic protector sheets are a great idea. The binder came with several of these. I think one in each section would be convenient.

hhireno- Love that you have the adorable recipe written by your nephew. It would be fun to remind him of it. I also love looking through my recipes to plan meals. It is so easy to get in a rut.

technicolor- I did not think of photographing the recipe cards. Love the idea. I am finding that scanning is time consuming. Is it best to photograph the recipe card head on or lay it on a desk and take the photo from above, or perhaps neither technique is good?

I am not sure that the binders will be ready for Christmas; I ma running out of time. At this point I have to work on planning and prepping for seafood Christmas Eve dinner. They will be wonderful no occasion gifts. I will let you know of my progress and final results. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

• happy2b…gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Forgot to add that I love the idea of including family pictures. I need to find some of the relatives mentioned on the recipe as well as photos of the girls when young around Grandma's table.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting