Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bestyears_gw

Does anyone have any experience with modeling?

bestyears
10 years ago

I have an 18 year old daughter who has wanted to model since about age 14. I've never been in favor of it for 1000 reasons.... I view that world as potentially very superficial, the potential for eating disorders, the access to creepy guys, I wanted her to have a great childhood, etc. etc. ETC.!

So a few weeks ago she confessed to me that she had sent her photo to a few agencies and they wanted to meet with her. The reality is that she doesn't actually need my permission at this point, since she's 18. We haven't discussed that directly, but I'm keenly aware of this critical point. So I agreed to go to two appointments with her, to gather information, with an open mind. Now we've done that, and I'm almost regretting it. Both agencies expressed a lot of excitement about her potential. She's 5'11 and 125 lbs., they love her face, and her measurements are apparently perfect for designer clothes...blah, blah, blah.

The immediate problem is that she's supposed to be leaving for college in the fall. We discussed this with one of the agencies and their perspective is that she could fit this in like a part-time job. But I just don't see it. As a "newbie" she'd have to go on a lot of cattle calls, which can last for hours, and since they are scheduled, could easily interfere with her classes. The same concerns arise with any modeling jobs she might secure. I just don't see how she could truly focus on college and not be heavily distracted by this. I have to admit though that I have absolutely NO firsthand knowledge of this world.

DH and I are of one mind on this, but I thought I'd toss this out to this always knowledgable community here just to see if someone has been down this path....

Comments (43)

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh boy I don’t envy your worries on this one, it’s a hard call. On one hand you could press the college angle only to have her rebel, on the other hand she could find out how un-glamorous modeling can be on her own (unless she is in that small percentage that makes it big time). There are famous models out there that pursued a degree after the prime modeling years though. And, depending on how savvy your teen is, it’s possible she could gain some very important life lessons out of it as well as seeing the world. However, I agree with you that it would be nearly impossible to do both college and modeling at the same time as she is not established. Unless, she just does local work. There is not great pay in that though.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Could she do online college courses while she pursues the modeling? That way she'd still be moving forward and chipping away at a degree at the same time as testing if modeling would be a legitimate career path for her.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Have a gap year! Call her college and see if you can have her enter a year later. This way, college is in place in case things do not work out.
    She can use this year to see if she has what it takes to make a go out of modeling as a career.
    Modeling is a fantasy dream for so many girls. Considering the feedback you have received, this might be a reality though for your daughter. Yes, it can have many negative side effects, but, if handled right it can be an amazing opportunity.
    I think you have to create some ground rules, and at least at first be involved in the process.
    As a side note, does she know what she wants to major in if she goes to college? In my opinion, it is never a mistake to get a college degree. However, so many kids wind up in debt and still don't have a career. Not everyone is cut out for college.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

What type of modelling do they see her doing? Runway, catalogue, mall, specific products. What is this costing you? Does she pay for her portfolio or will the agencies - that will show you how interested they actually are in her. Do they see her staying in the US or going to Asia/Europe? What kind of "look" have they told you she has. Will they arrange the cattle calls for her or is this something she has to look for and arrange.

What does she see for yourself? Are her expectations wrapped up in the so-called glamorous life of this career or is she really interested in being a mannequin for clothes - that's all a model is - a live mannequin for clothes.

The answers to those kind of questions will tell you her future and whether or not that is what she sees for herself and whether or not it will fit in with college life.

College - does she have a specific career in mind for college or is she going just to go, to please you, or because it's just an expectation and it is what everyone is doing. Unless she has a specific career choice already defined I would be inclined to allow her a gap year and maybe just take a couple of basic courses (first year English, a first year science ) at your local college.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

My friend's grandson was a model. He was discovered just walking down a street in Miami. He was very much in demand but because of his ADHD, he just could not keep up with it. He had to go to lots of "go-sees" and also had to be available to travel. He did print ads for fashion magazines. It was too bad he could not handle it because he could have been very successful.

I don't think it is something you can do around your own schedule -- you really have to be available.

Here he is in a Calvin Klein ad with Gemma Ward. I actually don't think this is a very good picture of him. They had to get in a tank of water in a warehouse in NYC for the shot.

Here is a link that might be useful: picture

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would definitely let her pursue this while she can...this is often a short lived opportunity. Many teens find it helpful to get a taste of the working world first, and when they do, they approach college with more direction and drive. But, if I were you, I'd plan on being very involved in the process to help watch out for her interests.

I think about how many kids I know who have wonderful college degrees and no job. If she can get gainful employment this way, I say go for it.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I don't have experience with modeling, but I do with higher education.

I agree with Annie, in that a person is only young once, and there is a limited opportunity to do certain things like modeling and playing sports. I've had a couple of recent male students go on to play minor league baseball and play basketball and soccer in Europe. They can always go back to school later. Now these are undergrads who graduated, so they are deferring grad school to play sports. One May graduate had a pretty good season in the minor leagues as a pitcher, so who knows where he could end up. We have a previous alum who is currently pitching in MLB.

If she wants to take courses, have her look into courses online and/or at a community college. Just try to find what transfers in to where she wants to go. Or else, she should be able to defer admission.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

A friend's niece was quite a successful model in Europe....she was the face of Dior one year. She is now an actress in London, but did graduate with a theater degree from a university in Ireland.

As I understand it, no legitimate agency should ask you for $. They will take care of photos and such. They make their $ from bookings.

There are nine months before she goes off to college. Let her dive in and see what happens...under your watchful guidance of course. If it takes off, she can defer college...if it doesn't, she goes off to college as planned.

• bestyears
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thanks all. I have to admit to being surprised at what I read as the 'take a shot at it' consensus here.... I admit that I am a bit fear-based in this area, and truly, deep-down, not thrilled with it as a potential career choice for her. At the same time, I recognize that this is HER career not mine. I just want to keep her safe, and not have to worry about Pandora's box....

Many of your questions I don't know the answer to -the agency may have covered some of them, but the whole process was a bit like drinking from a firehose. We're supposed to go back after the holidays to take some natural light photos, and will talk more. I agree though, no money from us to get into this.

I've thought about a gap year, and have instantly not wanted to consider it. But I suppose it makes more sense than trying to do both at the same time.

She's thinking of majoring in communications/PR. She's only 18 -so despite her denials, I'm certain she's a bit caught up in the glamour of it. The waiting around, sitting in makeup and hair for hours on end... would drive me right up the wall.

Thanks for the food for thought.

{{gwi:1491575}}

This post was edited by bestyears on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 8:59

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Yes, but Pandora's box can happen away at college, too. You have to trust that you raised her in a good way and she is capable to making good judgments.

• bestyears
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gscience -you're right. My head knows that and my heart is trying to accept it. She's honestly a terrific girl, and has done very well academically, while holding down a part time job. Additionally, she is student body president of a 3000+ highschool, and gets great accolades from students and faculty. She plays two sports competitively, and captains one. The leadership opportunities in particular have resulted in so much personal growth for her, and in many ways to her interest in PR. She enjoys bringing people together to complete projects, speaking to large groups, etc. So yes, she has proven she has a good head on her shoulders. OTH, she has never lived on her own in a large city, never had to use public transportation by herself at all hours of the day, never had to fend of creepy old guys, never worked in an environment where her body is on display, etc. Those are the things I'm worried about.

• golddust
    10 years ago

We have so little control over our children's destinies. I feel for your desires and applaud you for succumbing to her will.

My nephew was an Abocrombie model for a season. It didn't turn out to be his thing. (Modeling can be quite boring.) Being a live Manequin takes a certain mind set but if your DD has what it takes, give her a chance. (You really have no other choice.)

Now I want to see a picture of her.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

An attractive eighteen year old already has three or four years experience dealing with creepy old guys...they are everywhere not just large cities.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I don't know anything about modeling but I think she should give this a try while she has an opportunity to do so. She may decide it's not for her but if she never tries it she'll never know and may always regret that you prevented her pursuing what she thought was her passion in life.

You can't completely protect her from growing up and being exposed to the hazards of adulthood. As others have pointed out, going away to college is risky too. Can't tell you how often I hear about some college freshman drowning, freezing to death, etc. after a night of drinking. Our friend's lovely daughter got drunk, fell out of bed and cracked her head open within weeks of going away to college.

She can always go to college later. I know several males who pursued pro-hockey careers, finished college later, and became successful business people. Not everyone has to follow the typical post high school plan to be "successful" and have a fulfilling life.

• bestyears
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are killing me! Making me feel like such a mean mom... :)

Okay, golddust, here you go. This is really glammed up, for Homecoming. She had a very vibrant dress and so did her makeup that way....

• bestyears
    Original Author
    10 years ago

(edited to remove double-post)

This post was edited by bestyears on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 15:25

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Wow....she is beautiful! As moms we all appreciate your concerns....but she obviously, given her track record, sounds mature with a good head on her shoulders. If she does get some bookings she may discover in short order if it is for her or not.

My niece competed at a very high level in her sport. At 15 she moved two hours away to train most of the day and did online courses for HS students. She had a room in a woman's home but was basically on her own for school, getting herself to practice, etc. My SIL was of course worried about her all the time but also knew she needed to be there. She left the sport senior year (long story) but the experience matured her immensely. She ended up graduating from a very competitive nursing program at a large university.

I think your daughter will be just fine whether this pans out or not.....just stay as involved as possible.

• golddust
    10 years ago

She looks like a Model. I wish her well. I hope she is really grounded because it's a tough industry. She is stunningly beautiful.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

She definitely looks like a model! Gorgeous.

Since she's interested in communications, PR, that she would look good on TV, etc., is a huge plus.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I wasn't planning to comment at all, in part since I agree with you, Bestyears. But since the tide seems to be turning the other way, I thought I would pipe up as a fellow naysayer just to even things out.

Your daughter is very lovely, but modelling is an extraordinarily tough business and the odds , for anyone, of a long lasting, lucrative and positive career, are small. As a parent, we have a tough road between encouraging kids to follow their dreams and using our worldly experience to steer them down the path we think has the highest of odds of ensuring long term happiness.

One of the posters above said something like "not everyone is cut out for college". But your DD clearly is. She has so much more potential than just her looks. I'd also venture to say that, if it were my DD,I'd rather have her make lifelong friends in college or grad school then from the world of modelling. Even if she has the character to successfully navigate the rampant problems in that industry, by whom will she be surrounded?

I also agree with you that you can only be on the periphery of this decision, given her age and that she has already set this process in motion. I think you are doing the right thing by helping her with the process. But I personally would not encourage this path, and do everything to keep her on track for her academic career.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

A family friend many years ago started out life as a Rockette, ended as a Mother Superior. So odds are this model business will be short lived, but if she doesn't give it a go while she is able, she will wonder and regret it for a long time to come. If it's any consideration, Martha Stewart used to be with Ford Modeling Agency, and Cindy Crawford was class valedictorian, and Tyra Banks went to Harvard B School a few years ago for her MBA.

A friend of mine went for his BS in accounting and found out he hated working in an office. He went back to school later and has become an award winning landscape designer.

So my point is one can go back to school, one can change careers, but if modeling is something she wants to try, her working years in that job may be very short, so now is the time. Even if successful, by the time she's 22, it may be over.

She's beautiful and photographs well. I know nothing, but think she has a chance.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

A lot of kids around here do a gap year, so that's what I'd be tempted to persuade her to do if she were my daughter. Apply to colleges, get an acceptance, and defer the acceptance one year so she can see if this goes anywhere. Your approach would probably have to be more detailed than that, obviously, but that seems like a decent compromise...I think. Of course I know nothing at all about the modeling industry but maybe a year may be enough to get it out of her system!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

She is a beautiful young woman. This is a tough situation. While you want to encourage your DD to follow her dreams this particular field has a notorious reputation. A former Vogue Australia editor recently wrote a tell all revealing that some models ate tissues to curb their hunger pains in an attempt to maintain their weight (or lack of weight). There are other books and articles out there as well. Perhaps it would help if your DD stopped at the library and did some research.

When my DS was a senior in high school he had a part time job as a cook at a restaurant. He loved it, did well and the owner let him handle many catering events. He thought about becoming a professional chef and decided not to go to college after graduation and continued to work at the restaurant.

Obviously we didn't let him know how disappointing this choice was. He was the brightest of my three and could grasp intellectual concepts quickly and apply them on a practical basis. The restaurant business is another one of those 'dreams' where over 50% fail.

I happened to have a conversation with one of my elder son's college professors and he asked if my high school senior had selected a school. When I explained the situation he gave me some advice and said if my son wasn't 100% invested in attending college then I shouldn't pressure him to go - as long as he had an alternative career plan. He felt that was one of the major reasons many students had problems on campus. DS worked for a year at the restaurant and then decided to go to college. He just had to get it out of his system. Now he's a successful attorney.

My neighbor's DD boarded at a performing arts high school with dreams of becoming a professional ballerina. She did dance professionally for 5 years but it was a constant battle trying to keep her weight down. She didn't have the traditional slim, lithe ballerina look and she dieted in an effort to look less womanly - unfortunately she had breasts and one ballet master even instructed her to bind them. She switched to modern dance and performed for another 2 years before deciding to go to college and now she's a gym teacher.

So why am I telling you these stories? Because I really feel for you and I wouldn't want to be in your position. Neither my son nor my neighbor's daughter regretted their decisions but I can readily admit (as would my neighbor) that we both worried and had many sleepless nights over their decisions. But I don't know if they would be as happy as they are now in their chosen careers if they hadn't tried the unconventional first.

And if she'll be in NYC she'll adapt to city life every so quickly. My DD graduated from Columbia and it only took a few weeks before she was navigating the subway and bus lines with ease. Granted she wasn't living alone since she was in a dorm but she loved the city.

I think Martha Stewart started modeling while in high school but she did model while attending Barnard College. But that was many years ago and it's a much different field these days.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Vogue Factor

• User
    10 years ago

I don't want to give advice on this either way, but will say I know a lot of people that do nothing with their (expensive) college degree for different reasons. At 18, not many people know what they want to do with the rest of their lives.

• bestyears
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mtn and maire_cate, you have both captured my feelings precisely.

Mtn, you wrote, "As a parent, we have a tough road between encouraging kids to follow their dreams and using our worldly experience to steer them down the path we think has the highest of odds of ensuring long term happiness." -I've used almost those exact words with my daughter. The rub here is that I don't have experience with this world, just the sense based on what we all know of the world, that it isn't something I would embrace for her. That for me is the linchpin of my dilemma. We've all had the experience of making up our minds about something, based on public perception, only to discover the reality is quite different. In a minuscule way, it reminds me of my fear of pitbulls before I started walking dogs at our local shelter. I approached their cages with a great deal of caution initially, and now a year later, have had nothing but wonderful times with these dogs. My experience doesn't change the statistical truth, by a wide margin, of pitbull violence. However, if I'd avoided them based on my perception, I'd have missed out on some heartwarming times with some great dogs. Remember.... I said it was a minuscule comparison....

Maire -the experience you described with your son is essentially the same situation as we are facing. I also appreciate your mention of your daughter's experience at Columbia. The last few times we visited NYC, we've had wonderful times and felt very safe (as long as we weren't stupid). I moved to a city myself (SF) after college, and had a ball, and would love her to have that experience. I also however had a frightening, violent experience one night when I was out too late by myself, and of course it is hard to ever forget that.

This is such a difficult time for me. Some of it is sadness about the amazing time I feel like she would miss just being a normal college kid. I 'hear' the cautions people are expressing about college not being for everyone, especially gscience, whose profession IS higher education, but that is a hard pill to swallow here -I think she is cutout for college.

Still no answers, just musings, but thanks all....

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness, she is a beauty! Perfect model material, for sure. Good luck with your decision. I say give it a shot.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Bestyears, it’s a tightrope! For those of us that have children that are a bit older it’s a fact that you only have so much control once they reach a certain age. There is a fine line between pushing and staying in the loop. Like many of the above my two also went back to school after a short break. I tried to remain encouraging on their decisions while at the same time stressing a back-up plan. On top of it all you are probably facing the first real physical separation coming up with your daughter, which is another whole emotional roller coaster ride right there. I wish you all the best but have a feeling that even if your daughter takes a break she will go back to school. I’m sure you raised her right.

• suero
    10 years ago

I don't know what happened to my previous link to the New york Times article, A New Alliance Steps Up to Protect a New Generation of Models, but here it is again.

Here is a link that might be useful: New York Times article.

• bestyears
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for that link suero -it's great that such an organization exists, but the beginning of the article affirms my worst fears and instincts....

• golddust
    10 years ago

I think you need to come to terms with the concept that we do our best but must allow our children to live their own lives. If modeling is what she has dreamed of since she was 14 years old - AND she still wants to do it at 18 - there is no way you are going to change her mind now. Kids know what turning 18 means.

Whatever happens, you need to stay very close to her so you know what is going on as she delves into a career planted with hidden field mines. That is more important than anything. She can go to college later but this is her dream and, unfortunately, it is not an unrealistic dream. She has serious potential. Modeling has opened doors for many people. While some Models have succumbed to drugs and unhealthy lifestyles, your job will be to help her steer clear.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Yes, what golddust said! The one thing you can be very forceful about is stressing that she not sign ANYTHING without you or an Attorney looking it over.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

The one thing my husband always does with our kids with any decision (from what cell phone/plan to buy, to what school to attend) is to sit down and really map out all the factors. He always stresses that you can still go with your gut, but you first have to put all the factors (call them pros and cons) of each option in writing. You can keep adding to these lists as you find more information. It seems like common sense, but whenever we find decision making overwhelming, we revert to this method and it usually makes us feel much less stressed. It does have to be in writing - trying to balance everything in your mind just causes more stress.

My personal experience is that I went to post secondary school at my parents insistence. I wasn't ready and hated it - I bombed of course. I took a year off and travelled, met my dh and went back to school sure of what I wanted to study - almost straight A's the second time around. Also, at the school I work at, we get Australian and European students who come and live in the school's rez and work in our classrooms. Often, they have no idea what program they want to go into when they first arrive. Over the year, we watch them figure it out, apply to programs, and move onto training for careers. None of them ever mention that they feel they are missing out or getting behind their peers education-wise. I know that working in a private school is a far cry from modelling, but thought I'd throw it out there.

I think it sounds like you've raised a wonderful kid and that you are willing to at least work with her on this decision. Good for you and good luck to both of you no matter what she decides. Keep us informed.

• bestyears
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Daisy... DD's best friend is home from college right now. She is like another daughter to me, a very grounded girl, and two years older. For this girl, college has been a fabulous experience, complete with amazing friendships, etc. I'm certain DD is talking with this girl about the modeling opportunity, and honestly, I'm hoping it sways DD away from it. DH and I are not saying a word right now.

I think the only decision we've made is that we won't allow her to do both at the same time. We'll be spending an awful lot of money to send her away to school, and don't want to risk wasting that. Better to let her defer a year and leave the money in the bank.

Part of my dilemma is that if she does go into the modeling world, I'm not truly available to accompany her at all. I started a new job this year, (teaching GED classes) which is only part-time, but will grow into more, and is the best teaching work I've ever done. I have that sense that this is the work I'm meant to do. I've been a very supportive, involved mom for both my kids all these years, and never looked at it as a sacrifice, but as a blessing. Now though, I feel like I can focus on myself a bit, and don't want to let go of this opportunity.

• bestyears
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Daisy... DD's best friend is home from college right now. She is like another daughter to me, a very grounded girl, and two years older. For this girl, college has been a fabulous experience, complete with amazing friendships, etc. I'm certain DD is talking with this girl about the modeling opportunity, and honestly, I'm hoping it sways DD away from it. DH and I are not saying a word right now.

I think the only decision we've made is that we won't allow her to do both at the same time. We'll be spending an awful lot of money to send her away to school, and don't want to risk wasting that. Better to let her defer a year and leave the money in the bank.

Part of my dilemma is that if she does go into the modeling world, I'm not truly available to accompany her at all. I started a new job this year, (teaching GED classes) which is only part-time, but will grow into more, and is the best teaching work I've ever done. I have that sense that this is the work I'm meant to do. I've been a very supportive, involved mom for both my kids all these years, and never looked at it as a sacrifice, but as a blessing. Now though, I feel like I can focus on myself a bit, and don't want to let go of this opportunity.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Really difficult situation... and I empathize with you. Our DD was an open champion Irish dancer who went to world competitions, and flirted with the idea of auditioning for one of the Riverdance touring companies. She had several friends across the country who did it and really enjoyed the experience. Some toured right after high school and that became their career. One went on tour then came home and became a dance teacher. One girl around her age in the same dance school went on tour after finishing at Columbia, then went to law school. Our DD kept up her dance the first couple of years in college but became less interested as an upperclassman, and delved right into a challenging career that leaves little time for anything but work right now.

All the girls who toured were glad of the experience. DD was equally glad she did not leave school or work for it. I had mixed feelings when she was really considering it, but kept them to myself as that was her first really adult decision save for her choice of college.

The problem with telling someone to "wait" is that, in those professions, youth is the coin of the realm. Every year they wait is a year lost. If that is truly her best asset and she is interested enough in fashion to make a career out of it after modeling doesn't work out or is no longer of interest, it may be for her. I would, however, keep fairly close tabs on her by visiting monthly, just to keep a check on her health, weight, etc.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I don't understand all this talk about a career. What is the likely hood that your DD will actually have a career in modeling? I'm guessing zero to none.

So she takes a year off to try out the modeling. What's the big deal? A variety of experiences make for a well-rounded individual. Higher education will always be there - no need to rush her through life.

She's a smart girl, you've taught her well - give her strict parameters of what is/is not acceptable and then let her go.

• Ideefixe
    10 years ago

I guarantee that any agency will want her to lose weight. She's very pretty, but looks more "normal" than high-fashion. I think any modeling she does will not be as rewarding as college.

• jmc01
    10 years ago

bestyears, if your daughter does what you want her to do, will you be available to accompany her to all her classes and social activities? Why is working any different? If she goes down a modeling path, are you saying you need to shadow her wherever she goes. It sure sounds like it.

Some here have wished you luck on "your decision". As I see it, this is your daughter's decision....not yours.

I encourage you to cut the rope you have in place and let her grow. One cannot control people like one can control "perfect" decorating choices.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

At 125 pounds and 5"11, I think she's model thin. I"m going by my youngest who is the same weight but is 6 inches shorter.
    The trick would be to keep this weight when she is no longer active in sports. If she goes down this route, I would set her up with a nutritionist. There are healthy ways to stay thin.
    As jmc points out, it is her decision at this point. I also agree with Kelly. Statistics are against her, but at the same time someone has to succeed, so why not your daughter?

• bestyears
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate everyone's input; every post here has made me stop and think. To clarify a few points:

I don't feel a need to shadow her in college the way I expressed that concern for modeling. We are parents who strongly encourage our children to go away for school, because we believe it adds significantly to the experience. There will be alcohol, drugs and sex issues on every campus, but we feel she is at least as well prepared as other kids on that campus to make wise choices. It is a dramatically different story when you talk about the modeling world. Some of the reading I've been doing mentions a young, inexperienced model being instructed by her agency to go to a specific address for a photo shoot. When she gets there, it's just her and the photographer , and the address is his apt. The first thing he tells her is to take all her clothes off. There are many, many examples of this kind of behavior. I feel like we would be throwing her to the wolves.

I very much realize that this is her decision. The part of the decision we own is whether or not to risk a large sum of money by agreeing to pay for college while she's modeling.

The eating/weight issue is one of my major concerns. She's thin right now partially due to genetics, and partially because she's a vegetarian and a healthy eater. But I have concerns there too. There is great pressure on these girls not to let their waist get bigger than x, or their hips, etc., because then they won't fit into the designer's samples. The other issue I've read about is shoots running 10-12 hours, and no food being provided to the models except for a few celery sticks.

Hope that clarifies... I'm not trying to disguise my position, which in a nutshell is, "Are you out of your mind?!?!? You're going to college!!!" But I'm here to broaden my perspective in an attempt to more fairly see both sides of this issue.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Bestyears, I think your previous posts have been very upfront in your concerns and indicate that you are not a helicopter parent, but have very real concerns about your child becoming involved in a career that is known for treating women poorly. Kudos to you for trying to inform yourself and your daughter so that she can make the best choice.

I wonder if you could research the modelling agencies she is thinking of going with so that you can find out what sort of reputation they have. I have a feeling that some may be much better than others in terms of how they treat the models.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

Bestyears,

I commend you for doing what you can to open your mind to the possibilities, going along with your daughter to the initial meetings and for seeking more information. You are trying to do what's best for your daughter and clearly you are struggling with *how much* support is appropriate. I am not a parent but I do know that the transitional years between teen/child and adulthood are tricky for all-- and there's no single right answer or approach. What I do know is that your love, support and guidance are more valuable than anything else you can provide-- including money-- your daughter is blessed to have you with her as she moves towards her adult life.

I don't have any experience with modeling-- though I have a few friends who have done "light" modeling in regional catalogs, etc and one friend who did runway modeling in NYC and in Europe long before I knew her. FWIW, she also has a stunning education with a PhD from an ivy league school (which I believe she pursued after modeling but I am not sure).

From your description of your daughter, she appears to be mindful and committed to her health and diet-- this is a great foundation. We're all aware of the issues with eating disorders and unhealthy weights in the modeling industry but at least it's no longer a "dirty little secret". I would continue to praise her healthy eating and support her in continuing to develop the confidence and resolve to know who she is and what is health for her. This is the best way to combat the challenges she may face regarding weight and diet.

This same self awareness will guide her too to know what type of modeling will best suit her. There are many kinds of modeling and each comes with a different lifestyle. Which best suits her personality? Is she a careful planner or is she excited by spontaneous opportunity? Would she be excited by the prospect of packing up and flying out to a shoot across the country with little notice or would she be more comfortable with a shoot schedule a month in advance? Is she fiercely independent and self-motivated or does she most thrive with the support of friends and family near her?

Once she knows (and perhaps she already does) which type of modeling she wants to pursue, she can make good decisions about how to proceed. it will help her to choose an agency and determine where and how college fits in. I would view each agency very critically. Is it realistic to consider modeling and college at the same time? I can't really say but I'd sure ask hard, driving questions of the agency that suggests she can. Are they looking to (and able to) offer her big time runway modeling opportunities, national agency shoots or are they looking to fill their stables with pretty faces for regional catalogs. What's their track record? How these agencies respond to the questions will give you and your daughter a better idea of her potential and which agency can give her the best opportunity to make it happen.

No matter what career we choose, there are risks and opportunities. The best thing you can do is to help your daughter look at her options clearly, realistically and from all perspectives... and to be flexible enough to move on to a plan B or C (or D!) as time and opportunities evolve.

Best wishes for all of you at this exciting time!

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

A hundred years ago I did makeovers for an established local modeling agency. This agency supplied models for commercials, catalog work, promos and what was then called “tea room” models but know known as runway models. There was no sending model’s to seedy apartments alone for shoots. There was a lot of cattiness amongst the female models but not as much amongst the males (still some). The agency I worked for did not have internationally acclaimed models which is something that I would look for if I had a daughter interested. I saw many pretty girls come and go. The reality of modeling did not fit the glamour dream. The pay certainly did not fit the dream. Some girls would come in used to being the star beauty of their area only to discover zillions of other star beauties from other areas. For the models that got the most work, well it was often because of the whole package offered, not just the beauty. In fact, outright beauty is the norm but having some angle on certain “look” is not. Being able to conduct oneself professionally is also not the norm. I think you deciding to give her a year is a good one. She will have a very good idea at that point what her chances are for the “big time”. It seems with your exceptional parenting your daughter will be going in as more of a preferred whole package that includes intelligence, manners, and an ability to converse with a variety of adults, the ability to take direction or criticism and above all maintaining some humor throughout. Modeling is a money business, if your daughter is making money for the agency she will be treated well. To make yourself feel better I would consider an acting class for your daughter within the year break. Not all models just model, some go on to commercials or other acting work. This whole experience could give her a big edge when she gets her degree and looks for work.