Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonnieann925

New Year's Eve plans anyone?

bonnieann925
9 years ago

What are you doing tonight. We usually go to a friend's party, but she just had her floors redone (bad timing) and isn't having the party this year. She probably just needed a break from it!

We are having our next door neighbors and another couple (our best friends) over for dinner. We are thankful that the cooking is done and that we just have to get the table set.

Last night our family went out to a new restaurant to celebrate DD's birthday, which is today! We had such a good time. I'll feel like a beached whale tomorrow.

Wishing you all a safe, happy New Year's celebration and the very best in the coming year!

Comments (35)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Happy New Year to you, too. Quiet night here. Looking forward to it!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

We'll be going to a small party at a friend's house from 7 til about 10, then coming home to get in our pj's and watch the ball drop on TV with our youngest (age 13).

Tomorrow we are taking the kids to see a play and out for dinner, which will be nice.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I see ads for NYE events at hotels and clubs and wonder "who does that?" I don't know anyone but someone must because they're still advertised.

I did a NYE event at a hotel ballroom once, on a double date!, and it was just awful. I barely remember my date but I do remember someone in the group of his friends was livid that her husband called his mother at midnight every year. And left her sitting there at the table, because this was pre-cell phone days. I wonder whatever happened to them? Did the marriage survive? Did it get easier when he could call from the table and not search for a pay phone? Was he clueless to her anger (I don't know how, I could see and feel it and I didn't even know her) or deliberately disrespectful to her wishes to be with him at midnight? Was she being unreasonable? I don't know, I never saw any of them again, except for my friend who was part of the double date.

I wish we celebrated NYE on June 21st, the longest day of the year. It would be warmer and light until late. It sounds great to me.

Sometimes we go to a friends for a party and sometimes stay home. Tonight my family is coming over for dinner. I expect to be long asleep by midnight. My new year starts on my birthday, not on January 1st, but I don't stay up until midnight to greet that day either. I like sleep.

Wishing everyone a safe, healthy, and happy year.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

DH and I were scheduled to go to dinner with several other couples. Yesterday we bailed out. Both of us have sore throats, bad coughs, etc. Not only do we not feel like going anywhere, we didn't want to "share" with our friends. I'm guessing we will be in bed about 8:30, if the past several days are any indication.

I have some homemade vegetable soup on the stove. Right now that sounds much more appealing than steak or lobster. And, please, don't even mention anything alcoholic in my hearing.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

We're heading to one of our favorite restaurants in Santa Fe for a late lunch and then a stroll around the Plaza and down Canyon Road before heading home here. We'll grill out steaks for a late supper along with some bacon wrapped scallops and Caesar salad. A Netflix movie while we snuggle with our three furkids and then switch over to watch the ball drop at midnight. A quiet but special NY Eve. Tomorrow my homemade Posole and tamales for our NY Day dinner, as usual . . . And bowl games (lol).
    Wishing you all a Happy and safe New Year!
    Lynn

• User
    9 years ago

DH and I will be watching ELF with my MIL with Alzheimer's and enjoying adult beverages.

adding, we are missing the annual black tie dinner dance gala at our historical society / antebellum mansion. Hmmphf.

This post was edited by kswl on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 14:01

• fourkids4us
    9 years ago

We never go out on NYE unless it's walking distance. I don't like being out on the road at night during the holidays with all the social gatherings, but most especially on NYE. Last year we were in Charleston for vacation but the past few years, we've mainly stayed home and made a nice dinner.

This year, we'd been wanting to get together with our neighbors over the holidays and when they said they were staying home on NYE, we asked if they wanted to come for dinner. There is another party in the neighborhood we were both invited to, but it's mostly younger families with LOTS of toddlers, etc and both of us have outgrown that stage! We then invited another neighbor, a single guy, who we just found out has a new girlfriend (he is in his 50s), so they are coming too. We're having surf & turf for dinner and dh is making tiramisu right now for dessert. We'll get a few movies for the kids, and we'll have some nice adult conversation.

No idea for tomorrow. We used to have a neighborhood pajama brunch but now that crowd is the same one doing the NYE gathering tonight instead. It will probably just be another much appreciated "lounge around the house" kind of day. My guys all will want to watch football.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

We've been invited to walk down the street in the subdivision where we're renting and have an early celebration at a neighbors house. Apparently they do this each year, a casual gathering for the neighborhood, just drinks and snacks. And they celebrate based on Mauritius time so no one has to stay late if they'd rather not! Sounds good to me.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

We will have old friends over as usual....college friends who moved here 11 years ago and live 1/2 mile away. The husband is vegetarian and we all have holiday glut so I am just serving a vegetarian stew with crusty rolls. She usually brings dessert but I wanted to try out a new local bakery so picked up some cupcakes and cake pops this afternoon. We usually play a game or watch a movie. The husband is usually asleep on our couch by ten and we have to wake him up to watch the ball drop. She said they might drive separately so he can just go home when he gets tired.....party pooper!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by joaniepoanie on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 18:09

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

We are expecting a snow storm to add to the last one so we will be staying put and that is fine with me. I think DH has the flu and I think I may be fighting it so some hot tea near the woodstove sounds like a plan to me. We may pop a movie in too.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

This will be our third year dining out with DD1 and her family. We will be home for a bit and then head over to our CC for the festivities there. I hate going out on NY except for dinner with the family.i would much rather be home all comfy in my pjs reading or watching a movie.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

We have a tradition of going out to dinner with a couple we are both close with. (The husbands became friends and do things together.) We usually stay local. This years it's and Italian restaurant two towns over.

• User
    9 years ago

Staying in, making our own pizza, opening a bottle of red wine, having coconut cream pie, putting on our pjs and renting a movie, will be asleep before midnight.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

We will be walking down the street to a neighbors who is having an open house for the entire neighborhood. Don't know how long we'll last but I'm guessing we'll be home before midnight. Tomorrow we are having good friends over for dinner. Looking forward to lobster casserole and steak tips on the grill.

Hope all have a healthy and happy new year!

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

DH is a musicians and has a gig every NYE, so usually it's a rowdy night at a club. Last year he didn't have a gig so he was asked to MC at a club where a few bands were playing and do the countdown. He totally blew it. He was supposed to be on stage well before the countdown to tell everyone to get their champagne but on his way to stage, people were stopping him to talk and he has a hard time not socializing. He barely got to the stage in time for the countdown. Finally, I scream at him, "YOU'RE GOING TO MISS THE COUNTDOWN!" so he jumps on stage just in time for, "6-5-4 . . ." and no one had champagne to toast with. This is a guy who doesn't drink, but loves to talk! I was a little embarrassed but it was pretty funny.

No gig again this year and he was asked to MC - I said no way! So we are finally going to spend a quiet night at home with DS and his girlfriend. We'll be grilling steaks and playing cards and hopefully be in bed before midnight.

• cran
    9 years ago

We are staying home and eating Chili, in previous years we always went to visit friends on Martha's Vineyard to celebrate, they now leave for Florida right after Christmas. There are plenty of first night celebrations around, but I just hate the cold so much it doesn't seem like fun.
    Happy New Year to you all.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I was watching a live feed of Times Square just now. Those people are insane. My feet would be killing me hours before midnight.

My sister said a lot of people get there so early, they wear diapers. That can't possibly be true?!

• daphnexduck
    9 years ago

We'll be home with Netflix but up until at least 1 am because it's so noisy in my neighborhood. Lots of bells, cherry bombs and fireworks. One year I was really tired and went to bed early only to be awakened by all the noise so not worth trying to sleep through it.

I have an old hand school bell that my mother used at New Year's and I go out on my porch and ring it just as she did. I like keeping the tradition going, but I won't be out there long tonight as the temp will be in the 20's.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

We are having pizza and watching a movie. It is snowing a lot here so I'm glad we are not going out.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Home, safe and sound. I bought some take-out food from the local market, have Netflix ready to roll and will make a Fuzzy Navel to toast the new year. Godawful drink (peach schnapps, OJ and seltzer) but I love them. I only have them once a year.

Plan to be asleep long before midnight but I am always awakened by the racket outside. It is my least favorite celebration of the year.

• rubyclaire
    9 years ago

Quiet night tonight with DH and a bottle of wine. Tomorrow we will watch for our DD who is marching in the Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena with her college band. Later we will host some friends to watch the college bowl games. Go Noles & Roll Tide!!!

Enjoy and Happy New Year!

This post was edited by rubyclaire on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 18:14

• funkyart
    9 years ago

We both have the tail end of the Christmas Flu.. but I havent gone out for NYE in years. I have a feast of small plates in the works-- steamed shrimp, marinated veggies, scallops are wrapped and about to go on the grill, steamed asparagus wrapped in puff pastry. Good thing our appetites have returned!

We watched all 6 episodes of The Game last night. That was supposed to be our NYE binge watch. Not sure what we'll scare up on Amazon Prime or Netflix.

We'll be up to ring in the new year.. but I don't imagine I'll last much later.

Wishing you all the very best in the new year!

• tinam61
    9 years ago

We went out for lunch today and antiquing. Tonight we had a somewhat light dinner of appetizers. Taking it easy and count us in with the pj crowd, counting down!

Happy New Year all!!

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

It's 10:20 as I type this. DH went to bed and I'm enjoying our new XL television - now that I've figured out how to work it.
    I have a glass of champagne and popcorn and I'm watching a few episodes of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. What a delight - it's worth tuning in just for the gorgeous costumes and to watch the stunning Essie Davis wearing them.

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

Nice dinner at home followed by streaming video In front of our warm and cozy wood stove with our three cats. Not sure I'll make it to midnight.

• bpath
    9 years ago

My dear auntie made boeuf bourgignon and salad and we met up at my folks for dinner. Why had a great time, laughing, stories. I thought my HS/college sons would be bored but they enjoyed the stories. Came home in time for midnight...DH went to bed but the boys and I watched the TV celebrations (lame) and had sparkling cranberry juice at midnight. Happy New Year! I know it won't be long before they are out of the house celebrating with with their own families, so I treasure these.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

Happy 2015 to all!

Our evening was the same plan as always: home, dinner, relaxing. I've never really cared for NYE, it always seems such a forced holiday to me; partying with crowds of people, drinking and being up late are not and never have been my favorite activities. When the kids were little I had a ritual in which I'd get them hats and noisemakers, and prepare a nice dinner served on good china by candlelight. Now that they're both launched we don't really do anything special.

I did end up awake at midnight but only due to wanting to finish the firs tLongmire book which I started after a recommendation in the good reading topic. And indeed, I liked it and will be continuing on with the rest of the series.

So I ended 2014 and started 2015 with my favorite activity!

Ann

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

We had maybe the best NYE we've had in a long time...nothing wild but just fun. One of our closest-friend couples ended up being home unexpectedly after coming back early from a trip. We already had plans to attend a small party that we couldn't back out of, so we went to their house an hour before the party and had a Prosecco toast and some shrimp cocktail. Then went to the party. There were 7 couples, 5 that we knew well and 2 that we'd never met. Perfect combination of reconnecting with current friends and meeting some new, interesting people. Ate some food, had a little more wine, and got home around 10:30 to watch Dick Clark/Ryan Seacrest in our pj's with our 13 yo DD.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

DH often has a busy day at work on NYE, so it is hard to make plans. He did get home somewhat normal time around 6 p.m., but we made plans to cook in. I often roast a duck, but the supermarket was sold out, so I made a Giada recipe he likes.

We watched some rock concerts on YouTube. Kitty seemed to be OK with the fireworks being set off in the neighborhood. He usually goes under the bed, but he stayed with us.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Last night a friend dropped off two little dessert treats from a fabulous bakery. They weren't big enough to share with my dinner guests/family so put them away before any one arrived.

I thought my family would never leave! "No, I don't want any dessert, you eat up. Great to spend time with you, happy new year, here's your coat, drive safely, buh-bye."

They were the perfect little treat to end the year. ð I wish I had two more to start the year. ð¢

• User
    9 years ago

We spent the evening at my in-laws. Extended family was up for a visit and it was nice. I enjoyed some crab legs too. :)

I've never really liked NYE. I agree with Running about it feeling forced. I'm sentimental and have 'always' found it bittersweet. Of course, I do see the positives in a new year, but I am also aware that everyone is another year older (parents, grandparents).

Roast, mashed potatoes, and veggies today.

• hilltop_gw
    9 years ago

Happy New Year!
    Our New Years Eve tradition involves the same four couples gathering as we have for the past 20 to 25 years. We rotate among our homes, alphabetical by last name. We begin at 7 or 7:30 pm with a light dinner, then visit, play games and eat snacks through the evening and then have dessert shortly after midnight. Last night we played hearts and 30 point pitch. Other years we've done board games. We live in a rural area, we're all farmers, our kids are all in the same age range, although now all adults. It's been a blessing to have these same couples in our lives through the years.

• bonnieann925
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing the various ways you chose to ring in the New Year! So sorry for those of you who are fighting colds/flu and other illnesses, That is not the way you would hope to start the year!

bpathome-we had boeuf bourgignon too! We served it with roasted vegetables and crusty French bread. As is typical, we had so many appetizers that we grazed all night.

hhireno-I had to laugh at your comment about wishing you had more of those yummy little treats to start today. I made eggnog French toast with the left-over French bread and topped it off with left-over whippped cream and fresh raspberries (from last night's trifle). Then we had an extra bottle of Prosecco, so we "had" to make Mimosa's to go with it! Decadent for sure, but so yummy!

We used to go to First Night in Boston, first b/k and then with kiddo's. Now we prefer to lay low in town and have friends over.

We are on the Cape for a few days to relax and recharge. I did a long walk today and plan on walking the beach in the a.m.

• bonnieann925
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing the various ways you chose to ring in the New Year! So sorry for those of you who are fighting colds/flu and other illnesses, That is not the way you would hope to start the year!

bpathome-we had boeuf bourgignon too! We served it with roasted vegetables and crusty French bread. As is typical, we had so many appetizers that we grazed all night.

hhireno-I had to laugh at your comment about wishing you had more of those yummy little treats to start today. I made eggnog French toast with the left-over French bread and topped it off with left-over whippped cream and fresh raspberries (from last night's trifle). Then we had an extra bottle of Prosecco, so we "had" to make Mimosa's to go with it! Decadent for sure, but so yummy!

We used to go to First Night in Boston, first b/k and then with kiddo's. Now we prefer to lay low in town and have friends over.

We are on the Cape for a few days to relax and recharge. I did a long walk today and plan on walking the beach in the a.m.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz