Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Christmas gifts for adult children

joaniepoanie
9 years ago

My 3 are ages 26-30. They are at ages where they want big ticket items/necessities.....oldest (married, bought a house last year) wants a shed for the backyard. DD mentioned she needed new tires for her car. Youngest said he might want $ for a plane ticket.

I don't have a problem with these ideas at all. I just have no clue what other little things to get them anymore. In years past I have run myself and brain ragged finding "stuff" for them to open.

Every year I say I am not going to just buy stuff so they have stuff to open .....but I also hate the thought of Christmas morning being over in 5 minutes.

I know this is just me......should I just get over it, give them what they want and maybe 1or 2 other things and be done with it and not fret that it's all over in 5 minutes?

Then last year they all laughingly bemoaned the fact that I had stopped filling their stockings in the last few years.

I know I know...it's not just about the gifts, but that really IS the fun part, no?

What do you do?

Comments (35)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Personally, I wish we'd move away from the consumerism/gift emphasis of Christmas, which I believe has gotten out of hand. The joy of gift giving is in the gift giving itself, not in the "opening" of stuff.

Personally, I think the very generous gifts you are preparing to give them are wonderful as they are helpful, thoughtful, help propel your kids forward (literally in the case of the tires and the airplane ticket! Lol), and stocking stuffers make Christmas morning. (definitely get each of them a Microplane rasp for their kitchens if they don't have one! GREAT little gift).

Or, get a smaller gift that goes along with the big ones: Shed = a good rake or shovel or other yard tool. I LOVE my dandelion puller, for example (see link); tires: get an air compressor to go in her car (everyone should have one anyway!); airplane ticket = travel bag or camera or something having to do with the destination.

The dandelion/weed puller is in the link. This is a GREAT tool. My other favorite yard tool is this (and I read later that it is also M. Stewart's favorite tool. It is SO handy)

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiskars weed puller

• violetwest
    9 years ago

they are lucky you can afford such generous gifts. Yes, you should get over it . . . but yes I understand giving is so wonderful, too. Tibbrix's ideas are good, too -- a lot of little theme gifts can be a great idea.

One year I got mine all sorts of kitchen gadgets, for instance. All sorts of little yard helpers. All sorts of little travel gadgets, etc.

Good quality kitchen and home items, such as pots and pans. Or "heirloom" type gifts -- nice art and objects that they will keep a long time and remember you by.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 11:56

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

A share of stock in their favorite company
    My friend gives her children a block of silver
    For a wedding present.

• User
    9 years ago

We give our adult children money for Christmas along with a couple of small items to unwrap. This year we are getting them several Tile device locators and the boys will probably get Lacoste shirts and DD a small piece of jewelry. For their birthdays they get a trip somewhere fun!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

I'm all about experiences, so how about gift cards to a local theater/concert hall/museum or restaurant? Packed in a small box of candy or with a big cookie (for the sense of whimsy).

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Those are some nice, big ticket gifts. There are some clever ideas above but add those to the big ticket item and you're spending a lot just to prolong the gift exchange time.

You can fill a stocking with inexpensive items and necessities but that doesn't fill a morning. Oh, Chapstick, thanks. Did you get a tangerine too?

I understand wanting the togetherness part to linger longer than the time it takes to open one gift. What about cooking a meal together? Playing a game (Apples to apples, loaded question, left-right-center)? Watching home movies or a favorite movie? Viewing photo albums? An art or craft project?

• violetwest
    9 years ago

just a comment that wow, y'all are way richer than me. I used to go all out, and get really creative and buy lots and lots of gifts. Can't now--have had to really cut back due to too many grandchildren! And the economy, of course, being a single person, middle income. I'm pretty sure they still love me anyway!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

If you are in a position to do so, it only makes sense to be generous and give them gifts they want or even cash under the gift tax limits, IMHO.

But I agree... The holiday should not be about debits and credits. I always try to supplement financial or practical gifts with something small, personal, quirky.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

When I can enjoy Christmas with my nieces and nephews, I like to set up a gift round robin that goes like this: I have bought and wrapped a variety of things, from crazy socks (that might or might not have a $5 bill to go with it) to gas station gift cards to that weird decoration that keeps getting re-gifted. All from $2-10 dollars, a mix of silly and practical and just kind of neat or pretty.

Then the first person chooses a gift & opens it. The 2nd person can steal the 1st one, or choose a wrapped one. And so on. There are several variations on this, such as having everyone pick a gift, then pulling numbers to see who can steal 1st, 2nd, etc.

This takes some time and is pretty fun. Also, although I may choose a gift with a particular person in mind, it relieves me of having to get the "right" thing for everyone.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

Ugh, I so hear you! I really enjoy Christmas....the decorating, the music, the snow, the food and, of course, the family time. Dislike the gifting more and more every year and find it very stressful. DS and wife live in a condo in large city and don't need or want more "stuff". DD same thing, smaller city. I'm at a loss. Also, we are quite generous all year long as we see needs. I suggested omitting gifting this year who all but DIL were in favor of. I'm very frustrated as to what to get them; these feelings are not what Christmas should be about.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

raee, my GF does that every year at her xmas party. It's called a yankee swap. In the version we play, the person who got to pick the first gift is given the final opportunity to swap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yankee Swap

• bbstx
    9 years ago

No one has mentioned books! Even though DD and DSIL are Millennials, they like books - the kind with paper. I use money or a check as a bookmark in the books.

For the one getting the shed, a gardening book. For the traveler, a diary to write about his travels. For the one getting tires, a book on simple car maintenance.

Stockings get socks. DSIL has cold feet. He's getting Smart Wool socks in his stocking. DD will get some sort of silly socks. Other assorted little things will also be in the stockings, with the traditional orange or tangerine in the toe.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

funnygirl, I realized sometime ago that I was buying gifts for people I didn't know enough about to get them anything they needed or even liked. So, I sent everyone an email and asked them not to buy us anything, but to instead make a donation to a worthy cause, and I would do the same. I couched it in terms of "Although we've loved all the thoughtful and delightful gifts you've given us in the past, we simply do not need anything."

That cut out our getting a bunch of stuff we didn't want, and our buying a bunch of stuff the recipients didn't want. And a worthy cause, usually a children's hospital like St. Jude, gets a substantial donation from us.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I'm so done with gift giving. I just want a fun relaxing day with my family. My son is the least materialistic person in the world and rarely wants or even needs anything. I usually get him underwear, a shirt, books and cash - and he's a happy camper.

I tell my mom every year to not buy us (DH/me) anything but she persists. She really can't afford much but she likes piles and piles of presents, so we all get a bunch of cheap crap from her that has no meaning.

This year, I told her that if she buys us presents, she's taking away meaningful gift giving to her grandchildren. I think it has finally sunk in. I hope.

I forgot to add: Maybe I'm just being selfish because I really don't want to buy anybody presents either.

This post was edited by MagdalenaLee on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 14:38

• Lars
    9 years ago

One year I made Stomachion puzzles for everyone as a stocking stuffer. One side was silver, and the other side was colored. I made about eight of them and laminated eight different colors on the backs of the silver sides, and so I was able to mix the colors. I gave everyone their puzzles at the same time, and they made a contest out of who could solve the puzzle (making a square) first. I was surprised at how competitive they became, and it took them longer to solve the puzzle than I expected, but they seemed to enjoy it. Anyway, it makes a nice game, and it's something you can make yourself.

There are 536 different solutions to solving the puzzle, and yet it can still take a while to discover even one of them the first time. It's good to have the back a different color so that they know which side is the face. I used a paper cutter to cut mine, but you can use a utility knife.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: grid for Stomachion

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Cool, Lars! And you made it too! Double cool.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Joanie, my daughters are 25 and 27. Their favorite is still the stockings. I have never stopped as I see how much they enjoy opening up all these little gifts. All these little gifts are wrapped and do take a while to open.

I will concentrate on beauty and make up items from Sephora and Ulta. Sometimes I get up to the minute unusual things that they haven't even seen yet.

I give them holiday scratch offs, chocolate holiday candy, one daughter loves marzipan so I try to find that.
    Find candy from their childhood. What was their favorites growing up? This always gets a conversation going. "Oh, I remember these, etc." I have found tiny tarot cards, tiny craft sets (they still like making things.) small books etc.

Joanie I know how you feel. In my case, we have a very small family and of that only two families are "local." I wanted Christmas to be a big deal and they were not going to be getting extras from relatives. It just gives me joy to shop and wrap and watch them open a substantial amount of things. We have cut back as my daughters have grown, but there is still lots to open.

My advise is to get those stockings back on the mantle!
    And, I agree that you are very generous to give such expensive gifts.

I know people view the holidays as an over indulgence of consumerism, but in my case, the Christmas gifts are clothing that my daughters needed anyway. Now that they are working and buy their own,it a nice luxury to receive needed items for the holidays.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I always over do Christmas. I love giving presents. I keep trying to cut back but it is so difficult as I keep thinking of items to add.

I also like to gift to people that don't expect anything. This year my DD's friend's husband lost his job, they have three children so I will be gifting her with an Amazon gift card to help with the holidays.

One of the best gifts I ever received was last year when my daughter donated chickens to a mission group in my name. I know that will help the recipients have a fresh supply of eggs.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

For the one getting the shed, I would get a book on clutter! Joking aside, I say have fun filling the stockings. You can wrap some to make it last longer. You can do some of the things from the emergency box post a couple of days ago, candy, duct tape, etc. I actually have the most fun filling stockings for my kids now.

I understand why some people have been worn down with Christmas gift giving, but like holly-kay I generally love it. There are a few people on my list who get gifts out of obligation but there are others I love spending the time figuring out something special for them, it is a joy to do.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Andâ¦. small kitchen gadgets, food items (I love Cherchie's soups, order some to keep and some to give) and facial masks seem to be popular lately.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

bbstx, here's a tip, if you haven't gotten them already: LLBean's wool sox that are modeled after the SmartWool socks are MUCH better than the SmartWools. They last much longerâ¦and are less expensive.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

The best stocking stuffers I have given to adult children are YoYos, and then Slinkies.

We too, will give a big gift...often not on Christmas (we recently financed a family wedding trip with travel involved) I have reminded them the Merry Christmas part of the great week we had.
    Once grandchildren make an appearance, you will be fine Joanie.

ML

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix......great idea to get "shed" son some garden tools. Will definitely get the weed puller...one for DH too....but what is the thing you pictured that looks like a whisk?

Great ideas all....keep 'em coming!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

The romance and delight of "Christmas morning" is really a child's time. I am more than over whelmed you haven't let go yet. Let it go. Be glad you are together and can spend the day just enjoying each other. My children had similarly expensive NEEDS this year--so they will most likely get some money they will use to add to what they have to get these needs met. We have always given a book, an ornament, clothes..we will continue that formula.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Lol @ "Shed son". That's a keeper.

I believe that tool is called a hand rake. It is invaluable, as is the dandelion puller, which, btw, is also fun for kids to use since since they can pull the weed and then launch it into the basket or barrow. It's actually a pretty fun tool. Definitely spares folks some real back-breaking dandelion/weed pulling as you can just stand and do it.

See link. This one is a tad different than mine, but apparently it's the one Martha Stewart uses. Or, just got to a gardening store and pick one up. I think I paid $8 for mine.

Also really great and not expensive are those cheesy "As Seen on TV" plastic leaf picker upper things you wear on your hands.

My favorite, can't-do-without tools:

The hand rake; dandelion puller; leaf picker uppers; my gas powered leaf blower; backpack sprayer; my Fiskars 20-ft. pruner; and my AMAZING Bear Wallow thorn-proof gloves, which every gardener must have and are worth every penny; and of course, regular work gloves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand rake

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info Tibbrix!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Very welcome.

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

Joanie, you are definitely not alone! I have the same dilemma, and my kids range from 26 to 35. None are married, though the two boys have long time girlfriends. Two of them will be flying home for Christmas, so gifts have to be small enough to go into their carry on bags. And like you I don't want to give up the Christmas morning rituals that we've built over the years. I like the round robin idea. That would be fun and help to stretch things out.

I like to fill the Christmas stockings with actual socks. They take up quite a bit of room, so I don't have to find a lot else to fill them up. This year everyone is getting Costco's wool blend socks (82% wool) I bought myself a 4 pack - only $12! And they are soooo comfortable!

• Jane_the_Renovator
    9 years ago

I agree with everyone on the big ticket items and the desire for less clutter. How about consumable gifts?

* Chocolate money
    * Exotic chocolate bars
    * Local goodies. Maple syrup if you're in New England, pecan candy if you're in Louisiana, marionberry jam if you're from Oregon...
    * Nice hand lotion.
    * Exotic soap
    * Interesting coffee
    * A book or magazine to read on the plane

You don't have to spend a lot of money--you can go to the international aisle at the supermarket and pick up some really interesting stuff!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

We always spend Christmas with my parents and Christmas morning has always been filled with gift giving. I can tell you that the latest electronics are always a huge hit. Do your children have any of the video streaming gadgets like Apple TV? Or how about an external back-up storage device for their computer? Hue lighting starter kit? Smart lock for their front door? Fitbit? Olloclip lens for iPhone?

This post was edited by Fun2BHere on Wed, Dec 3, 14 at 12:12

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Christmas tree ornaments are another good gift for people starting out, esp. young married couples.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

Other ideas to go with the shed are some of the organizing tools. Hooks for hanging the hose on, hanging up the shovels, etc. The cost of these things can add up but adds immeasurably to the utility of the shed.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Count me in with the adult kids, no grands and missing the mornings excitement.

What we do is get very creative with the wrapping. The boys especially compete for most creative wrap. One year i got DS some yard tools, and i used poster board to create a giant snowman. The tools were taped to the back and handles were used as arms. I added a scarf and mittens. They were all so surprised- figured' it was just another of Moms goofy attempts at holiday decorating.

Lately its been big ticket gifts, but I supplement that with small items bought from local artisan fairs, such as hand made soap, soy candles or treats. There is a vendor who makes incredible cake ball truffles the boys love, and another who makes Indian nut brittle, DD1s favorite. Those are the elaborately wrapped items.

But the all-time favorite is the stocking. We use the same ones every year-theyve been personalized with each persons name. I have mine from my childhood, the kids` original stockings from their first Christma, and every one who joins us gets one. I keep them and we reuse them every year. I even have the ex-BFs and ex-GFs! And since Christmas in our family always includes friends or extended family, I keep a supply of new stockings on hand. They are such a hit for all ages.

The key is the stockings contain very inexpensive goodies. I go to the dollar store and find fun things-sudoko and word search books; packets of kleenex; paper airplanes and puzzles. Ive recently been adding calendars which are a HUGE hit. Sticky notes, lip balm, pocket size hand sanitizer, disposable lighters, packs of band aids, and ALWAYS candy bars & a scratch off lottery ticket. Oh, and an orange. Thats always in the toe. One year I forgot the oranges and they were so disappointed.

I pick up trinkets all year long for the stockings. Those end caps at the grocery store checkstands yeild good selections.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

My monk-ish son asked for a computer this morning. Well, there goes that.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I LOVE buying gifts and like to buy practical things they may not get around to buying themselves.
    Nice stylish waterproof jackets make nice gifts because although they may not need them often they sure come in handy. The best ones donâÂÂt necessarily look like a rain jacket though, that way the jackets can be worn anytime even though waterproof.
    If you get Sierra Trading Post mail deals you could get this $two hundred and forty nine dollar NAU Patrol jacket for $one sixty two. I have to write the number because my key pad is shot.
    {{gwi:2135710}}
    HereâÂÂs another Sierra Trading post waterproof jacket made by Carhartt for ninety nine dollars or often less with coupon.
    {{gwi:2135711}}
    Or this Cool Kuhl Retro Hoodie for $one fifty five.
    {{gwi:2135712}}
    If your swimming in bucks you could spring for this fab waterproof jacket , Rodd & Gunn Harper for $ four hundred and ninety five dollars.
    {{gwi:2135713}}