Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

Christmas shopping vent - polyester, plastic and pleather

deegw
9 years ago

I guess I am officially an old fogey. Granted, I live in a small town so my store choices are limited. I am trying to support our local merchants but there is a surprising amount of junk out there. Forty dollars for a pleather wallet? All the slippers I looked at were polyester except for Uggs which were $100. A nice all cotton or wool throw that isn't $150? Nowhere to be found. So frustrating. And I feel bad for people that have to spend their hard earned money on junk.

Comments (5)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Deee, another old fogey here, too, I guess. I totally agree. Cotton sweaters are over $100. Seriously? I don't even find them to be warm.

I buy wool products from NZ a lot. Not cheap, but well-made and warm!

I wonder if there are just too many of us and in order to supply our wants, manufacturers go cheap and easy. Quality stinks on so many things now. Speaking of which, I am not heavy at all, but wow, sleeves on shirts and sweaters make me feel obese. Way too tight even on some of the "good" stuff. Sheesh.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

It is hard when you try to support local businesses. They just can't compete with the big stores.

I like small stores is they have unique items.

I have gotten some good deals out there. I'm doing a lot online since I am also getting the free shipping.

I wish I could wear wool. Even the tiniest bit is itchy! It's cotton only for me. Not easy but I just keep at it.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

It's our consumerism lifestyle that is to blame. I was just discussing this with a friend-back in the day when you went to the grocery store to buy peanut butter, you got Jiff or Skippy. Now there are 18 different brands, varieties and sizes to chose from.

We bought one winter coat and wore it till it fell apart (or we ahem-outgrew it). I currently have 5 different coats in my closet.

We traded quality for quantity and manufacturers have gone the cheapest route so they can change the style/inventory constantly to keep us buying. NEWNEWNEW=us handing over our money.

I try to shop artisnal any more. I KNOW I'm getting a quality product-I have to pay more, but it's the item that meets my ethics. And it's hard to support small business when they're up against big boxes and on-line shopping. My DD's in-laws have owned the only fine jewelry store in their area for many years. But when a big box multi-stop store moved in with their own fine jewelry store, they took a big hit and had to expand to gifts and opened a boutique. Lately they've been having to add more mass produced items-not necessarily junk, but still stuff that is available everywhere (Pandora bracelets for example).

Good luck with your shopping and thank you for trying to support local.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I have a small store and I can tell you that internet shopping is killing small businesses. WTBS, it is the way of the future so I am not bemoaning it. I plan on closing shop within the next year because frankly I am tired of people coming in and not buying because they can get it for 20% less online. Also I buy so much online myself that I can understand why people do it.

At some point we will purchase everything from huge corporations. Online stores have so much more than a small shop can possibly carry. The downside is that customer service is a thing of the past and the more that small stores fold up the less customer service will be available.

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

I know a couple who sell Nordstrom items at the swap meet. They get returns and the things that didn't sell. Cashmere sweaters for five dollars because someone snagged the yarn or stepped on it in the dressing room or got a makeup smudge on it. Maybe a zipper got stuck on a coat or something needed a few stitches in the hem. The store can't sell it after that. So many of these things look like new with some tlc.

I don't like the junky stuff either. Things should last. Otherwise we are paying to fill the landfills.