Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnmomof2

What watt Kitchenaid to get?

RNmomof2 zone 5
9 years ago

This isn't getting any responses over on the Cooking forum so I thought I would try to poll our excellent cooks here.

My DD graduates from college tomorrow and is going to be a Family and Consumer Science teacher. Grandma is wanting to get her a Kitchenaid mixer. I have a 275 watt one and almost burnt it out making marshmallows. It struggles to mix thick cookies.

So what watt do you have and would you get that one again?

Comments (9)

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I don't know, but right now BB&B has 25% off all KA mixers plus if you have the 20% off usual coupon you could use that too. Quite a geat deal. I'd probably look at the 5-qt 325-hp Artisan at minimum. Plus it has the stainless bowl with the handle. The other would be the 6-qt 525 hp. Oh, and there is also a $50 mfg rebate! What a deal! I might just have to buy myself a new one!

This post was edited by outsideplaying on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 13:10

• bestyears
    9 years ago

The most you can afford. You will never regret the extra power, but you will miss it at times if you don't have it.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Did you check the Appliance forum? There was a fairly recent thread about Kitchenmaid mixers. I linked it at the bottom. It's been a while since I researched Kitchenaid but for years there were numerous complaints about underpowered motors and breaking gears.

My Kitchenmaid was made by Hobart and it's 38 years old - and still working well. The older units had metal gears and components and were real workhorses. Some of the posters said that Kitchenmaid substituted plastic parts that just didn't hold up, especially when mixing dough. There were posters on the GW who complained that their machines overheated while mixing dough, yet they were using a recipe from the owner's manual which you would assume was one that wouldn't cause a problem.

The link below has some interesting points about specific mixers and where to purchase them. It also suggests to google the problems with mixers - maybe that will help you select a specific model. The last time I purchased one as a gift I called Kitchenaid and asked them which model had all metal parts combined with a high wattage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance forum

This post was edited by maire_cate on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 23:13

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Here's another thread on the topic.

Here is a link that might be useful: another thread

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

"5-qt 325-hp Artisan ... The other would be the 6-qt 525 hp"

I have GOTTA get one of those! V8?

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

"Kitchenaid" is a brand not an appliance..but since you said mixer inside the thread, I guess we know what you are asking about. I hate hate hate my kitchenaid mixer. It is not the brand my mother had. You cannot scrape the bowl easily as it mixes. I miss this ability and experience tells me the way Kitchenaid mixers function THE BOWL NEEDS SCRAPING OFTEN!! But alas my mother became a better cook and upgraded to the KA mixer.BOOOOO
    Mine makes fudge, cookies, bread, what ever I throw at it. I have had it for 26 years (wedding gift) and it continues to go strong. My MIL had one so I "had to have one" too. grrrrr. It has held up and it does do it all--but I still do not like it. Mine is the "classic" 250watt. It was purchased at a Warehouse Club store. Forget all those discounts and coupons--go to a big box store and purchase name brand appliances for even less and skip all the rigamarole!! I have the attachment that slices vegetables..now I see there is more of a food processor one available. My MIL's first burnt out after 35 years..I suppose there are lemons in every product. I am thinking it isn't the wattage--it is just a bad motor. I did break the wisk or bent it I suppose. The replacement wisk price was INSANE..but what choice did I have...other brands might not even have the option for attachments or replacements. I do prefer my MIL's splatter guard--all one piece heavy white plastic, over my two piece, "clear" flimsy plastic. No doubt this guard is less expensive. I can't say it is "cheap"; 26 years later it is still just fine. How many young people will even give a KA mixer a challenge? No doubt at any wattage she will be over powered!!

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

I have 300 watts which I recommend. Does fine but does get a bit warm when making a egg yolk icing that beats very stiff for 10 minutes.

Between the 4.5 quart, with the pivot, and the large with the lift, I like the smaller size. It will fit under most upper cabinets and can therefore sit out on the counter more easily. The larger one would need to be put away when not in use. And it would take up a lot of room.

Also if you need a great storage idea. When my kids were grade schoolers and liked to bake, but were not big enough to lift up the mixer here is what we did. We got a cart from target with the chrome wire shelves and wheels on it. You all have probably seen them. They are around 49 dollars. We kept the mixer on top, the containers of flour sugar etc on the middle shelf, and cookie cutters, rolling pins, etc on the bottom. The whole thing fit in our pantry closet. We would just wheel it over next to the island to use, and used the mixer right on the cart. Then just put it all back away when finished.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Outside, thanks for pointing out the sale at BB+B. I may have stumbled upon that myself or not! I ended up ordering a Cranberry one for her. After the rebate it will be roughly $175. You can't beat that. If she tires of it or needs a larger one in say 10 years, it was a cheap investment. Her bestie from college also has one in that color which is really a fuschia/hot pink color/

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Glad it worked out for you. I am quite sure she will love it and it was a win-win for the price.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living