Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnygirl_gw

"Nest" thermostat experience?

funnygirl
9 years ago

DH and I received one for Christmas and two days later our 7 yr old furnace (which we've never had any problems with) died. Almost $1k and one new part later it's up and running again but I'm a little suspicious of the Nest. The repairman said the typical lifespan of this part is 7-10 years and wasn't convinced the issue was Nest related, though he did say he'd had four calls in the four days since Christmas related to new Nest thermostats. I'm just curious to know if others have installed a Nest and whether there have been issues with it. From a quick Google search, problems appear to be rather common. Ours is in the process of being returned.

Comments (13)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

We have had a Nest for several years. Absolutely no issues. We love it. Love that we get usage updates online and can adjust even when away from home. Looks great on the wall, too! Now, if I could just remember the wall color to touch up where the old thermostat was. Sigh. May have to repaint the entire wall. Thought I would do it two years ago. It senses when we are not home, too and adjusts itself! Sorry you returned yours!

• lyfia
    9 years ago

Another Nest user here. We've not had any issues either. I really like it and I like that I can lay in bed and adjust the temperature or do it from away. I think the only issue we've had was when our network was down and we couldn't adjust as we were used to. It wasn't long lived though.

I have a really hard time to believe that a low voltage thermostat could have anything to do with it breaking unless you didn't turn things off when you installed it which the installation instructions says you should.

I would never go back to the old programmable thermostat e had again and it was the best when I got it. If my best broke I'd get another or another brand that behaved similarly. I've been spoiled now. We've had ours about 4 years.

• funnygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DH did turn everything off when he installed it. He's a "by the book" kinda guy with an engineering background so I know he followed instructions to the letter.

My sister just reminded me of the problems they had with theirs; it was an expensive mess, too.

We've never had a desire to change the temperature in the house when we're away so that feature wouldn't be of benefit to us, and the programmable thermostat keeps the house where we want it when we're home with only seasonal adjustments, so no regrets at all with returning it. Disappointed it was a bust for us 'cuz I enjoy new techie things (not to mention disappointing those who gifted it), but very glad you're happy with yours:)

• goldengirl327
    9 years ago

We had Nests installed in the beginning of November. Although my husband could have handled the install, we called in the HVAC company to verify that the units would be compatible with our (14yr old) system. As it turned out, in our case, we had to have a different panel installed on our furnace so that each Nest unit could work independently. I have to say that so far (even though we are still in the "learning curve" time period) we are very pleased and actually think the whole system has been working more efficiently.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

If you aren't constantly in the same room, Nest thinks you aren't home. So set the timer to remind you to run downstairs and do jumping jacks every so often.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Just to clarify: I don't "have to" check on our Nest online when not home. I set it just like any programmable thermostat. I do go online sometimes from school because I know DH will manually turn the ac colder when it is hot out and then leave for hours, so I turn it back to the more energy efficient temp. I love seeing how my energy use goes up or down and how it compares to other households and previous years with only a computer click. I do find my bills are lower since getting it. As with anything else, some like it, some don't. I am doubtful that the OP's furnace issues were a result of the Nest, but if she doesn't want to keep it, that is her choice. Sometimes on this forum, I think we tend to feel the need to justify and/or defend our choices and sometimes it is done by denigrating in various ways other choices. No need for that. Glad we are all happy!ðÂÂÂ

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Cyn, funny you should say that....I love checking my energy usage on the display in my Prius, but my mother says (every single time) that it would drive her crazy to have all those graphs moving on screen as she drove! In our case our thermostats are wired in hallways that have no vents and are never really walked by, so they always assumed we were not home. I think the success of the nest is dependent upon the original install of each individual HVAC system, but agree with you that it's very unlikely the Nest caused the OP's problems.

I was the one who wanted the Nest (in fact we were on a waiting list before they hit the market) but the constant fiddling was too much work.....our house is too low tech for it! :-)

• lyfia
    9 years ago

I'm sorry it wasn't for you. It is not a one size fits all. Which would be boring if we all liked the same.

Often when we completely turn old equipment off or unplug older things they stop working when we plug in or start things up again. Hence asking if the directions for installation was followed. It is often because the part that breaks is worn out but as the status quo it functions fine, but if it is changed such as a short burst of a higher current can trigger a break down. Kind of like when you are walking around you don't feel as stiff, but if you sit for a long period of time in the same position you can feel stiff when you first start to move.

I don't go online per se, I use the app. Yes it communicates over the net, but doesn't actually need a browser or pc to access. If I'm home and not in bed I can just go over and adjust the temperature like any other thermostat. You can program it like a regular programmable thermostat or you can let it learn your patterns and program itself. I like being able to turn it on from elsewhere as we use the auto away feature and if it is av really hot day or cold I like turning it on when I leave work which may or may not be on a schedule which was an issue with our old thermostat. It was either running too early or not early enough. It also does a better job at switching between heat and AC than our old one did. Important where I live as temps can drop 30 degrees in a matter of 10 minutes when a cold front moves in. It is so nice that it switches with fewer degree difference than our old very expensive best at that time thermostat which never did a good job with that. No more waking to a cold house which my husband who is the first awake appreciates.

This post was edited by lyfia on Tue, Dec 30, 14 at 21:30

• lyfia
    9 years ago

Kwsl you don't have to keep the auto way feature on if you don't want too. You can turn it off very easily for days when you are home and then turn it on for those you're not.

• sc_irish
    9 years ago

We've had our Nest for just over a year and LOVE it. We came home last year after being away and didn't know that our old thermostat had malfunctioned.....and it was 45*!!! Three days before Christmas.....and frozen pipes! Now, if we leave during the winter, I can not only set it for 'away', but I can double-check that it hasn't failed and the temp is as it should be. The Nest might not be compatible with all furnaces.....best to check first. We have been more than happy......and love the re-assuring feeling.

• goldengirl327
    9 years ago

removed double post

This post was edited by goldengirl327 on Tue, Dec 30, 14 at 23:14

• sochi
    9 years ago

We have one at our cottage, no problems so far, several months in. I particularly enjoy the flexibility it offers for a part-time home. Don't see a huge need for one at home for the moment.