Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisbonplace

Lighted makeup mirror

RoseAbbey
9 years ago

I am on the hunt for a good lighted makeup mirror. Any suggestions?

Comments (12)

• deegw
    9 years ago

I can't suggest any particular mirror but I have noticed that Bed Bath and Beyond has display with quite a few plugged in and lit. If you have a store near you that might be a good place to start.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

This makes me CRY!! My Revlon stand alone two mirrored light blew the bulb, DH replaced it. I had had it for many years. A few months back, with less than a year of use, it blew again and DH said skip it, get a new one--it was a PAIN to replace the bulb.
    I am on my second replacement and I hate them both. I need the mirror to swivel, I need it BRIGHT, I need it to be tall enough and large enough to see my entire face. I need the magnification to not distort my facial features. I need it to cost less than $50. I wish I did have a suggestion. So far my best option seems to be to send DH out to the dump to look for the old mirror.

• wearybuilder
    9 years ago

I have one from bed bath and beyond that I really like. It is mounted to the wall near my sink and uses a plug-in cord. It's 2 sided, bright, swivels, no distortions, and I unplug it and just drape the cord over it when I'm not using it. I didn't have space for one to sit on the counter. Good luck!

• RoseAbbey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh dear, sounds like this is not a simple thing! I am looking for one that would imitate natural daylight. We dont have a bed, bath and beyond here.

• nutherokie_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Roseabbey, I'm Nutherokie and I have a mirror problem.

I had lighted 5x mirrors hardwired in three bathrooms in our new house! It seems I can't go a day without one. I certainly can't put on makeup without one. Recently, I bought a Simple Human rechargeable cordless 10x mirror. I got it because it folds for travel, but now I've added it to my daily routine. It's too powerful to be great for general makeup application, but it's perfect for tweezing (and OCD-ing over hideous pores, but that's another issue)!

Anyway, I've become a big fan of the Simple Human mirror. It's lighted with LEDs and is VERY bright -- much brighter than my incandescent hardwired mirrors. A charge lasts a long time and it's nice not to have cords in the way between charges. The light comes on automatically when you look into it. It goes off when you step away.

Simple Human has their original 5x version and a new 7x version that I covet. There's a ton of reviews of the 5x and 10x versions on Amazon. The main complaint seems to be that the light immediately goes off when you step away from the mirror. That is a little bit annoying, but it sounds like they've addressed that in the most recent iterations. They're a little expensive, but they're the best mirrors I've encountered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Human 7x mirror

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

Am I the only one who doesn't like seeing the light from the mirror reflected in my eyes? It kind of creeps me out, so I never turn on the the light. Fortunately, I have very good lighting in my bathroom.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

My mirror is Zadro. 10x on one side, plain mirror on the other. It is a stand mirror not wall-mounted. I've had it for at least 10 years. I've replaced the bulb once. It wasn't as easy as replacing a bulb in a lamp, but it wasn't that hard either.

I just looked on the Zadro website and they also have cordless LED mirrors. I would like to have a wall-mounted mirror so that I don't have to lean over to put on my make-up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zadro

• pammyfay
    9 years ago

I've seen the Simple Human mirrors, which Nutherokie mentioned, at Bed Bath & Beyond. They seem really great, but yes, they are pricey. I liked the full lighted surround; some mirrors have just a few bulbs around the edges, and that leaves dead spots. And I can't imagine why some people would be annoyed that they turn off when you step away -- I think that is a benefit for anyone who gets distracted by, say, a phone call. Maybe the lighting was turning off when they simply turned their heads?

For a long time, I've been looking to replace my Clairol "True to Light" VII, which I've had for years. (At one point, the lighting didn't work, and the company told me you couldn't replace the bulb, but suddenly, the light came back on.) I like this mirror, but it's just bulky sitting on the guestroom dresser.

What I've found, mostly by testing out the mirrors at BB&B, is that you need to first figure out how much magnification you can "tolerate": Just how much do you want to see? Seeing every pore and every little flaw can make you crazy! For me, 10x was just too much.

It's unfortunate for you, but I've found no other retail store that has as much variety in the mirrors than BB&B so that you can compare brands and magnification.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Roseabbey. Sorry I am late posting. I have had this Conair for about 10 years. It's 5x iirc. Only changed bulbs once, and like bbstx said, it's not simple, but not really hard either, just a couple of screws on the back. Conair didn't have the bulbs available any longer, so I had to order from an online bulb place and figure all that out. Lesson learned is to get a couple of spare bulbs right away once you get a mirror you're happy with.

This mirror has 4 settings; evening, home, office, day. The different color bulbs come on to simulate conditions. I mostly use the home setting, which is the one pictured. I am 5'9" tall and would hate bending over to put on eye makeup. We are fortunate to have the wall next to the sink and an outlet. If I had thought about it, I should have had the thing hard-wired in our remodel last year, but I do use this outlet on occasion.

Good luck finding one that suits. I do think BB&B has a great selection.

• teacats
    9 years ago

check on amazon -- perhaps one might work out at a much better price!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

This is one of those areas where I really believe you get what you pay for. I bought an inexpensive makeup mirror from Tuesday Morning for our vacation house. It was about the size of the one posted by outsideplaying. However, the space that was clear and in focus on it was about the size of a silver dollar. It was almost unusable. The entire mirror is usable on the Zadro that I have.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

My go to is a floxite. Through the years have increased my need for a higher X, don't fall over, the last one 3 years ago is a 15X. My first one was bought at Tuesday morning, but now go to Amazon. BBB wants almost twice the price. The lights for these mirrors are too expensive and one day I hit the auto store to find they had the exact ones for less than a dollar. Bought 5, but sure has lasted a long time compared to the mirror company, and easy change out. . Floxite has a wide range of options: travel mirrors, alt battery/plugin, sizes and a number of other good ideas. Although only one light, it frames my entire face without distortion. The ones with the ring of light around them haven't been up to the needs. I do use the regular bath mirror to check overall look.

Here is a link that might be useful: floxite