Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

cat psychology anyone?

daisychain01
9 years ago

For those of you who don't know, we recently had a house fire (everyone's safe, damage is significant but fixable).

Our poor 10 year old calico cat was at home at the time. She escaped into the cold when the firemen came, but got soaked either by the hoses or runoff. She made her way back into the house at some point where we found her. Our neighbours took her for 2 nights, but had to lock her in a bedroom because she was fighting with their cat. When we went back to the house over those 2 days, she would see us from her perch in the window and meow, but we knew she was safe and had to leave her as we were in a hotel.

We are now in a small second floor condo and she is not adjusting all that well. She used to go outside on her own at least twice a day (only for a few minutes, but she loved that time).

She has stopped hiding under beds, etc. but the main issue now is that she starts meowing loudly for about 5 minutes every night at about 3 am. We can live with it for the moment since we are on holidays, but what are we going to do when we go back to work and can't sleep in until 8 am?

I've tried feeding her right before bed, taking her out on a leash to get some outside time (she hated that), and am now stumped. Any ideas?

Comments (20)

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Play with her before bedtime so she'll be unwound and ready to relax. Get a stick toy and make her jump and follow it around. She'll get your attention, which she craves, and look forward to it. That should erase the disturbance from her, she's looking for reassurance. A window perch would help too so she can look outside.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Reminds me of our cat who was so attuned to the clock, she drove us crazy when the time changed. Suddenly she was meowing at 4:30 for breakfast! It took a few weeks to for her to readjust...we would make her wait a few more minutes every day before feeding her.

For your cat, she's not only in a new home after double trauma(fire and neighbors) but with everyone home, there's no firm schedule, and cats thrive on routine.

So you're doing the right things by taking her out (make sure she doesn't slip out of the leash, our cat was a regular Houdini at that). Do play with her an hour before bed, then a little treat. My SIL's cat jumps up on the ottoman and stares at the laser mouse (in the basket next to the tv remote!) at 8:00 every night because that is playtime. DH gives our cats catnip at 9, they expect it, and then they crash. Ask your vet if there is a natural sleep aid...for both of you!

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The playing at bedtime is a good idea. The meowing isn't like a fearful or angry cry, just talking - loudly.

The windows in the condo go down to the floor so she can see out. There just isn't much for her to see here. At home she would keep an eye on the whole neighbourhood (and I think she felt she ruled it). Here she just looks out over some shed roofs.

Taking her to the vet is a good idea too, but she hates it so much I may wait on that to avoid further trauma. She should probably get a once over from the vet after everything she's been through.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes tonight.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Is she in the same room with you? Our cat runs around and meows during the night but no one lets her in their bedrooms. Sometimes I hear her but most nights I'm used to it. I would think you will get used to it and it may lessen as she becomes accustomed to the condo. Our cat goes crazy at night sometimes as this is her time to do whatever she wants and make as much noise as she wants. It could just be her way/time to relieve stress.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Do you have something from the old house in the condo with you? I know when my brother moved, his cat was a basket case until he brought over the old love seat. The cat recognized it, curled up and was happy. So some familiarity will be helpful.

Poor kitty had a really traumatic go of it, and it's still not back to normal, so it'll take her some time to heal. Maybe just try to comfort her and help her go back to sleep...

• bpath
    9 years ago

Get her a bird? In a cage, of course!

But yeah, patience and routines. She may not stop, but you might get used to it. Or better at going back to sleep.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

debark, I guess because we've never closed doors in the past, they seem to upset her and she scratches at the bottom until we open them. And the condo is so small compared with our house, you're right in that she may have done more at night at home, but we just didn't notice.

annie, that makes so much sense. She had a sheepskin on the couch that she slept on all the time - that was her spot. I wish I had thought to bring it (they've packed up everything and moved it to a warehouse so I can't get it now). I might look and see if I can find another one.

A neutral friend like a bird would probably help, but I don't think I could cope with taking care of anything more right now. I have to confess that in the confusion and stress of the first few days, we left my DDs hermit crab at the house without electricity for his heat lamp and he didn't survive.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have two cats, twins, been together since the womb. The male (Zephyr) can vocalize loudly at odd times. I can't really figure it out, he's just saying, "Hey!" When he was younger he went through phases of doing this in the middle of the night. If it's only 5 minutes, can you just hang tight till she stops? I realize it's no fun to be awakened in the middle of the night by cat howling, but maybe don't reinforce it by getting up and making it a deal. I've also put my cat outside my room and shut the door. That can result in howling and/or scratching, but it has always stopped and doesn't go on much longer than a couple of nights.

Your poor kitty has been traumatized, just like the rest of your family. Gentleness and understanding are called for. Good luck.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

daisychain, I am so sorry about the fire and your dear cat being traumatized by it.
    What time was the fire? If it was in the night time she may be somehow reminded of being alone when it happened and is crying to make sure someone is home.
    I agree with Annie about something from home. Since you can't get to her woolie, maybe purchasing a new one would help.
    We have four, very vocal cats. If they hear us throughout the night, or even think they do, one or another will come to our bedroom door and cry for our attention. If it's Joey, I need to have a little conversation with him or he'll not stop until I do. After a few back and forths I'll tell him it's time to go to bed now. He'll meow once more and that's it. The others can usually be ignored unless I feel they need something. Our grandson thinks I speak cat because I so often know what they want. Truthfully it's more than likely I guess well from knowing them for seven years.
    Since she doesn't like vet visits you might just call your vet and ask what would be best to do for her. They might very well have an answer that none of us would think, or know, of.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I am sorry your family is going through all this with the fire. Glad everyone is OK.

Cats just don't do very well with change for the most part, I had three cats when I moved here with DH, so it was crazy to get them to adjust. I also went from a townhouse with a basement and loft to a single story no basement. One who never went outside tried to escape all the time for the first few weeks.

I imagine she is feeling "abandoned" during the night. We have a cat who cries every night or else he will bother me for attention during the night. Closing the door doesn't work because he will cry and scratch. Sometimes we just have to put him in the guest room where he still cries, but at least it bothers us less. Our house is small, probably like your current condo, so it's not like we have a lot of space to put him somewhere else. Initially I thought he wanted to be fed since he's very food driven, but really, he just wants attention. I don't want to get in any habit of feeding him during the night.

• samhain10 - 5a
    9 years ago

I haven't read through completely what everyone else has said, but if they didn't mention Feliway, you might try buying one of those plug-in diffusers. They cost maybe $20 or so, or did back when I bought one for our cats during a stressful time. Scratch that - just went to Amazon and see it's more like $25 now. There may be cheaper elsewhere, but you'd need to see what the shipping will run. It's an odorless (to humans), calming liquid pheromone that works just like those plug-in room deodorizers, releasing into the air gradually over a month or so, I guess. It did seem to be helpful with our cats.

Also, about the leash walking. Most cats have difficulty with the concept in the beginning, but gentle persistence, and very short 5 minute walks at first, can change their minds about it. We have 4 indoor cats who have all adjusted to walking on leashes. In fact, now they demand it, and if they don't get their walks, we hear about it! We do, however, have the advantage of a rural setting which sets us away from most car and other people noises. But thought I'd mention it. Hope things are settling down some for all of you.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I used Feliway years ago when one of my cats started spraying after we adopted a stray. It took some time, but it was eventually effective. You don't just use it one day, but need to be consistent with it.

I had much more success with the spray than the plug-in thing, although the latter certainly wouldn't hurt. The theory behind Feliway is it's associated with good things, like rubbing and marking its people. I hit the corners of furniture, bookcases, door jambs, all at cat level.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, so far nothing has worked, but I haven't found a sheepskin yet. We go for a walk through the house tomorrow to see if we want to save anything the insurers have written off (everything they thought could be saved has been boxed and shipped to a warehouse). There was a small old wool rug that we kept in a box that she liked to sleep in. It was pretty old and gross before the fire, so I'm hoping they have left it there as a write off and I can bring it back for her.

I will definitely look for the fellway. She has settled down a bit, but still meows at night and gets spooked very easily. I think, like someone suggested above, that once we all go back to work/school and have more of a routine, she will get a bit more settled as time goes on.

Thanks again for all your good wishes and suggestions.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

It doesn't take much to unsettle a cat. A house fire is such a major trauma and upheaval, it's no wonder your kitty is upset. As you know, you can't force a cat to do anything. :) Quiet voices, understanding, and esp. patience will hopefully remind her that she still has her family.

I wouldn't overdo the Feliway. Be careful spraying a rug, towel, or blanket that she sleeps on. If she doesn't care for it, it won't be a good thing. Be sure to put it on new, unfamiliar things, just a little spritz.

• peytonroad
    9 years ago

Cats are very change conscious. They do thrive on routine. You must make a new normal for her until she is comfortable.(new litter box, sleeping area, etc) Sadly it may take a very long time for her to "relax". Most likely until you move again and she has another change. Just keep her close and keep her company when you can. Encourage her to sit with you on couch, go to bathroom, etc.

I so miss my little guy, he died suddenly this August and I think about him all the time. Just be patient and attentive. Cats number one priority is shelter and she just lost what she thought was home!

• mjlb
    9 years ago

Is the kitty doing any better?

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

If she's not doing better, E-mail me and I'll send you the dosage and research behind using Valerian tincture.

It's a medically tested anti-anxiety herb ... has done wonders for our 2 rescue Savannahs.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. When we went full time RV and kept our outdoor (most of the time) kitty indoors except for a daily leashed walked she freaked out. She peed on my bed alot. Your kitty needs lots of love and attention now. Maybe a few new toys and some catnip toys.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. When we went full time RV and kept our outdoor (most of the time) kitty indoors except for a daily leashed walked she freaked out. She peed on my bed alot. Your kitty needs lots of love and attention now. Maybe a few new toys and some catnip toys.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

peyton, I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. They do worm their way into our hearts.

She has started doing much better. I think it is because we have all gone back to work. Maybe it seems more normal to her, or she is more comfortable coming out and moving around during the day when we're not here so she's ready to sleep at night. Not sure, but just glad she has settled down. Thanks so much for all the ideas.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm