Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

Rant about online shopping

Lyban zone 4
10 years ago

I asked about a gift for a 12.5 year old in another post and made my decision to buy a set of nail polishes from Sephora.
25.00 for a set of 10 cute polishes.

I thought it said free shipping when I put it in by bag but then on checkout it charged me shipping. I was in a hurry and just thought that my total was not large enough so went ahead and checked out.

About 5 min. later my friend said to me so what did you get and I went back online to show her. And saw it said free shipping for a limited time with this code.

Not 5 min. had elapsed so I phoned and told the girl that I just ordered and did not put in the code.
She said there was nothing I could do. , except when I receive the order send it back and then re-order.

I told her that made no sense, that they would then have to pay shipping for it to go back or I would and then they would pay for it to come back to me.

My rant is with companies that do not automatically give you the deals they offer even if you are not aware. To me that is deceptive and not good company policy.

I know Lands end or llbean will always automatically give you any extras they are advertising and not make you jump through hoops to get them.

I think this will make me think twice before using Sephoa again.

Rant over.

Comments (5)

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I had a similar experience with Sierra Trading Post. It was my first order and they offered a discount for first time customers. They also sent me an email offering free shipping if I clicked through that email, so I did, and placed my order expecting both a percent off and free shipping. However, when I went to check out it turned out to be one or the other. I was charged $8 for shipping which pretty much wiped out my percent savings. Liars, liars, pants on fire! You should always look a gift horse n the mouth because it could cost you money.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I also had an issue with L'Occitane. I was charged but never received my order. It was only for $30, but it was a super sale. I sent numerous emails and finally received a package-with ONE tube of lotion, when I'd ordered 6. They insisted they fulfilled my order and never responded back to further emails.

OTOH I had an AMAZING experience with Wayfair-free shipping, and they messed up my order, but fixed it right away-then didn't charge me for shipping the correct item. AND to top it off, they let me keep the wrong item! Huge props to Wayfair.

I shop on line a lot and usually have a really good experience.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I shop online a lot and I've trained myself to check online for coupon codes before I check out. It is frustrating, but no more frustrating than playing find the lowest price at Macy's where you have to request that an associate check to see if online prices are lower when you are shopping in the store. Then, you have to watch prices carefully for the next two weeks in case you can get it cheaper because their prices fluctuate so much. If so, you have to go back to the store to have them refund the difference.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

lyban--try calling Sephora again, and ask for a sup'v (or someone else who can help you, since a previous request was unable to be resolved.....). Explain what happened, again, and explain that you had called within 5 min of placing then order, as soon as you had realized your omission of the promo code, etc. Sometimes it takes more than one phone call, but it's always worth giving them the chance to fix it. They should be able to issue a credit for the s/h,

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally had success today and got my shipping charges refunded.

I had phoned back to sephora on dec 9th and asked again and they said nothing they could do.
    I then asked to speak to a supervisor or manager and was told I would have to leave my number and one would get back to me within 4 hours. Fine.

I had still not heard back as of today so I sent an email explaining my frustrations and I just received back a response saying that as a curtesy they would do this , this one time.
    They will credit my credit card.

I am glad of this. I an not very happy with this company for not being transparent in there ordering system.
    I believe that if something says free shipping then it should go thru as that and not make you jump through hoops to get it.

Thank you all GW'ers for your support.