Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

DS got into his first-choice school!

Sueb20
10 years ago

I know I posted a while back about the college search... just wanted to report that DS got into his first choice. He's going to Syracuse. He is so happy. I know it doesn't always happen this way (or maybe hardly ever) but Syracuse was BY FAR his first choice over many schools we looked at. He had such a strong gut feeling about it. He visited twice and really just loved the whole feeling of the school, campus, people... in spite of the gritty location and the cold weather! During the past several months, too, we have (mostly by chance) talked to probably 20 different people who either went there, or have a close relationship to someone who went there, and all had rave reviews. So it was an easy decision for my DS to apply early decision. My only issue is that it's 5 hours from home, but I will learn to deal with it! (Sigh.)

Comments (36)

• golddust
    10 years ago

That is awesome! Congratulations to you and your boy. You must be very proud of him.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Great news! Congrats!

• awm03
    10 years ago

Hooray! Glad the uncertainty and waiting are over. Congrats and I wish your DS much happiness there.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Yeah! I went to Syracuse -- class of 196?. Ha ha. I went back to visit a couple years ago and was flooded with nostalgic feelings. I lived in Flint dorms my first year. Only women on Mt. Olympus back then. Just be sure he has plenty of good winter clothes. Brrrr. SU seems to have a perfect blend of party-study. Oh what I would give to be 18 and going off to school again!

• carriem25
    10 years ago

My DD is halfway through her first year at her first choice school - 3000 miles from home. She is having an amazing time and I am happy for her, but bittersweet for me. She will be home for Christmas in 9 days and I am very excited.

Congrats to your son!

Carrie

• hhireno
    10 years ago

How exciting for him. I guess he'll be adding lots of orange to his base wardrobe. And what a relief for you to have that decision made.

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Yay!!!!! Syracuse is on DD's list too. She's applied to the Communications School, but hasn't heard yet.

We're taking her to Boston in February to watch DS swim competitively for the very last time in his college career (maybe life), and she'll look at BU while there. We're also using the trip as an indicator of how well she tolerates the weather as she has quite a few northeast schools on her list. She's been accepted to Tulane, which at only 5 hours from home, is closer than most of the schools on her list.

Such exciting times.....

• geogirl1
    10 years ago

Congratulations!

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Congratulations! Very exciting. :)

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Congratulations!!!

• kkay_md
    10 years ago

Terrific news--I'm so glad!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

Great news! When our children are happy life is so sweet.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Congratulations! Everyone I know who graduated from Syracuse is loyal as can be. They all have nothing but good to say about their time there. So happy for your son.

• User
    10 years ago

Congratulations!!!!!!!! That is a huge hurdle and a great achievement for your son! Go, SueB DS!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Great news!..He should be very proud as Im sure you are! ..it was such a fun process watching each of my 3 visit schools, narrow it down, have a first choice, etc....start stocking up on kleenex for the day you drop him off!

• reggier29
    10 years ago

Congrats sueb20! Very exciting! My son has Syracuse on his list but we are waiting to hear from his number 1 choice, Michigan.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Congratulations. Both my daughters knew early on too. makes the whole experience less stressful.
    Make your reservations now for parent's weekend or mark your calendar if you have to wait to reserve.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Congrats to your son Sue! Great news.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I have already made our hotel reservation for drop-off weekend, but parents' weekend hasn't been scheduled yet (we plan to stay outside of Syracuse that weekend, anyway).

I happen to look good in orange (or so I've been told) so I already own a couple of orange coats so people will really think I'm a spirited mom when I show up to visit.

Already bought DS an insulated jacket from North Face for Christmas!

I felt optimistic so I had already ordered a t-shirt and pj pants for him, sweatshirt for my dad, and car magnets, all of which arrived in the mail today! My older son went to a very small college so it's kinda fun that this one is going to a school with so much readily available merchandise.... Also got him a cool book about Syracuse basketball. He's hoping to make his way onto the basketball pep band if he can.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

Congratulations-- how exciting! And rock that orange, proud momma!

• User
    10 years ago

Congratulations ! Sounds like everything is working out perfectly. c

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think we all like to minimize the importance of certain milestones in life, just in case things don't work out as we hoped.

But face it, this really is the first day of the rest of his life. And he is off and running! How wonderful for him, and those who love him!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Congratulations!

• golddust
    10 years ago

Still feeling proud of your family. All I can contribute is a cute butt seeing his first Christmas tree. There is so much milage between here and there. I hope to accomplice what you have again.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Yay Sue! Great news! It's great that he knew right away where he wants to go. I'm sure it's a great relief.

Beth P.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for all the supportive comments. We are proud of him. Our first DS has had a rocky road pretty much his whole life, so we are always extra appreciative for DS #2 which is not to say we love one kid more than another, but just that when things go well for him, we don't take it for granted.

It is bittersweet for sure as DH and I think about having him so far from home! Our oldest moved out in June (but lives about 5 miles away), we'll be moving out (temporarily, of course) DS #2 next August, which leaves us with just one very busy, young teenage girl in the house! How strange when it seems like they're here for so long and then you feel like, wait, that wasn't long enough!

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Congratulations to your son!! Five hours isn't too bad, our DD is 10.5 hours away!

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

Congratulations! Being accepted to a first choice school by early decision is the best of both worlds, for all of you. Your son can relax and enjoy the rest of his senior year and so can you! Great news!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

So exciting. Congratulations!

You have earned the right to be a proud mama.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Hey, Sue. Here is a picture of my SU freshman beanie. That tradition is long gone but I've saved this and other memorabilia all these years.

• User
    10 years ago

sueb-

I work at SU, and we work really, really hard at making undergrad a great experience for every kid, it's one of our significant strengths IMO (and I don't work in those areas, so I am objective).

Let me know if you need recs on hotels, restaurants, the best ones are not necessarily in downtown Syracuse. I believe my email link works, if not, let me know here and I'll fix it.

sandyponder

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Well after seeming to be so contrary today we have so far another successful day and they have decided after a time limit to let her have books and puzzles. I'm guessing after the other kids are asleep.

Looks like things are moving in a better direction.

Although I completely disagree with how their communication was handled with me as there were things they said that there was no call for or projections. I felt I was being bullied and having to swallow it because it wouldn't do me any good to point out what I was fed was inaccurate.

Looks like we have a part time option that would work if we could hire a nanny for a few hours in the afternoon too. Will be giving it some thought over the Christmas break.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Congrats to you and your son! It's such a relief to get that acceptance letter in the mail and to get in early is even better. Now he can relax and focus on his senor year without worrying about where he's going.

I know several Syracuse grads and they all have given great comments about their experience. My GF's son is a recent graduate of Newhouse and he raved about the opportunities he had there.

again..congrats

• melsouth
    10 years ago

Adding my congratulations!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ded, LOL, nice hat. Why didn't you put it on and then take the pic? Coincidentally, a hat arrived here yesterday -- DS went to some fan web site and ordered himself a hat. I don't think it's the same one, though. ;)

Sandy, I think you told me this months ago and I'd forgotten! Thanks! We are staying at the convenient SU Sheraton for drop off but will be looking outside the city for parents weekend, which last year was the first weekend in Nov. but since Halloween is that Fri. next year, I hope it's going to be a different weekend. Someone recommended the town of Schineattles which I KNOW I've spelled wrong...not sure exactly how far it is from the school, but sounds like it's a pretty area to visit.

It's fun to hear from DS about his friends getting notifications from schools. Seems like there is at least one every day (and so far his friends are all getting good news!).

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

You might be thinking of Skaneateles- it's a lovely town and there are some stunningly beautiful homes on the lake. It's become a little touristy due to all the wineries in the Finger Lakes.

It's been a while since I've been there. My brother lived in Cicero and we used to spend a lot of time there - visiting the wineries and fishing in Oneida Lake.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor