Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

New Years Resolutions, anyone?

Sueb20
9 years ago

I figured someone had to ask... :)

I don't generally do resolutions besides the usual (more exercise, less calories!) but for whatever reason, this year I'm making a mental list at least. DH and I have had a year full of stress because of difficulties with our oldest DS, and it has taken a toll on both of us but more me, I think, for a variety of reasons. The stress isn't going to go away, so I need to work on some ways to help myself deal better with it. My reaction to stress is always very physical -- tense shoulders and neck, teeth grinding in my sleep, feeling more run down and getting sick more easily. So, in addition to my 3x/week gym time, which helps, I've signed up for a weekly yoga class and am considering signing up for a second one (so then I'll have more intense exercise 3x and yoga 2x a week. I've also JUST started meditation, which I've been meaning to do for at least a year or two! I downloaded an app on my phone and started the intro sessions which are just 5 minutes.

I also need to get off the sugar now that the holidays are almost over.

And I have been ignoring some issues with my teeth for a while, so next week I'm calling for a consult about Invisalign.

Oh! And more massages! I find that I can't consider a deep-tissue massage a "luxury" any more. It is a necessity!

Anyone else?

Comments (25)

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I usually do not so much a new resolution but more of a general renewed intention to do better in all aspects of my life.

I like the "turning of the page" aspect of a new year, time to look ahead and relish what is to come with open arms.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

My only resolution is to put the Christmas decorations away.

• bpath
    9 years ago

In the coming year I plan to deal with things. I tend to put things off, sweep things under the rug, and that just increases the stress that makes me want to do that in the first place. So, back to Flylady for routines. Make all my doctor's appointments (a visit to the Dr. For a stress-induced problem --sueb20, what is it about sons? :) -- also got me back on synthroid and I feel so much better). Return to the 5-a-day vegetables plan...I did this last year and it felt right, but fell off that wagon this fall. Be nice, no gossip. I am pretty nice, but gossip seems to slip in too easily. Two years ago I was in the gym 3 times a week, then the habit fell away, so I'm renewing and scheduling sessions. I'm planning to try yoga, too. I got "yoga socks" for Christmas, so instead of being ticked at the giver (yoga socks? And there's no receipt and the giver has gone home across the sea) I guess I'll sign up. (See "be nice") I've been thinking about it for several months anyway, so, as part of changing my thinking, I'll just do it. Hopefully all this energy will also get the bathroom painted!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Oh, one more stressor to deal with: work with parents on getting medical power of attorney, and either live-in help or a move to the local, fabulous, senior-living facility. It's 8 minutes from my house instead of 18, and 5 minutes from their club instead of 20. Either choice will lead to new stressors, of course! But this is probably the main thing to deal with this year. And to do that, I have to keep in mind the fight attendants' admonition to "take care of yourself first". Hence my other response for healthy diet and exercise.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

bpat, I can't remember where I read it, but someone had adopted "How about now?" or maybe it was "what's wrong with now?" as their mantra for avoiding procrastination. I've tried to do the same. Sometimes I'm successful.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I really want to get trimmer and exercise more, esp since I've been sedentary for the last month with my busted ankle, and esp if I'm going to France this summer. But my issue is, that will be harder to do until I get all the holiday leftovers and cookies out of the house. As long as they're here, they call me....loudly!

In addition to meditation oasis and fragrant heart, I've found Tara Brach has free guided meditations on line. Guided meditations are easier for beginners, and as you get better practiced, you may need less guidance...maybe use a short one to start the meditation, then continue in silence on your own.

Here is a link that might be useful: tara brach

• hhireno
    9 years ago

It's always a good idea to review where you are and where you want to be. I usually reassess at my birthday but it certainly doesn't hurt to do it twice a year.

I'm happy with my level of exercise. My gym is offering a deal on personal training sessions and I almost had my husband convinced to join but found out the trainers work in the middle of the day and only some evenings. That's not convenient for him. I'm investigating other gym options for him while he has a slight interest.

I'll have to think more about my goals and projects for this year. Hmmmm.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, you need to "hire" some teenage boys to take care of those leftover holiday goodies! My 19 yo DS had a bunch of friends over the other night -- I sent every last cookie and piece of fudge downstairs with them -- voila! All gone! :)

I have no problem avoiding the junk food in the store, but when it's delivered to my house and sitting on my counter, I have no resistance.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Weight loss for me too. i was doing really well, and honestly, I am still below my goal weight, but I'm just not where I want to be.

Extra eating, specially around the holidays, is always a problem.

I am okay with exercise and could probably do more, but for me I don't get anywhere unless I watch my diet.

My resolution would be to drink water. I just can't get into the habit of drinking as much as I should.

• sprout26
    9 years ago

Regular massages and more fresh flowers. I hate totally failing at "goals" so don't set them. Silly, yeah...but the older I get the more it's about letting go of the guilt.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

You get a double whammy of evaluation of your life when your birthday is Jan 2nd! :) For some reason the 5 years (25,35,45 etc) as opposed to the 0 years have always hit me harder and this year is a 5 year :p

More veggies. I am going to BJ's today. I want to follow Chef Aj's 2 lbs per day (before cooking) and one of them for breakfast.

I also need to spend less time on the computer.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Sue, I'm so sorry about the stress your son has caused you and you DH. I'm like you in how stress affects my body. I have to say our new bed has made a difference in the pain which results from stress. I know for sure since we spent two nights last week on a rock hard bed and my body is still recovering.

As for New Years resolutions, the one and only one I ever kept, was to never make another one again so no, I do not have a resolution for this year.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

Well, I do not have resolutions, per se. I have come up with a theme for this next year and that is Find A Way.

I am completely fed up with my job. There are so many things with our family that need my attention. The money I bring in does help but at some point in the first half of the year I hope to quit. We will find a way to make it, somehow.

There is a long list of projects/things that I need and want done. Waiting on DH to take care of them is not helping my frustration level. I think it is time for me to overcome my apprehension and begin learning how to use some of the power tools. If DH cannot teach me, then I have a mentor lined up. My safety glasses should be shipping soon. I admit, I am somewhat scared but somewhat excited with the possibilities as well.

• User
    9 years ago

Mine are hopes, instead of resolutions :-)

HOPE that DD opts for elopement instead of wedding.... I am just completely uninterested in weddings (although I have enjoyed some of those I've attended)

HOPE that our dog Charlie will stop trying to attack male strangers with facial hair

HOPE that I reorganize the storage basement

HOPE that our priest finally retires and I can stop scribbling refutations of the homily on my bulletin :-)

I know, I know.... it is supposed to be about me being a better me, lol, and I AM trying, just not memorializing it in resolutions any more!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I subscribe to the Daily Mutts...they are so funny. Here are a couple I though appropriate to this thread.

{{gwi:2135652}}

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

No resolutions. Just mental notes to self to do better in certain areas. The big ones on my mind this year are to de-clutter more, clear out more of the 'stuff' we seem to have accumulated (and try, try to get DH onboard with this, which is a major task), spend less time on the computer and more time working out. The last one isn't so hard in spring, summer, and fall, but I swear, I become a slug in winter.

I am signing up for 10k training again, which starts in early March. A friend is doing it again too. I have not kept up my mileage the past couple of months. 3-4 I can do, but not 6 right now.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

2014 was a year of ups and downs for us. In the course of 5 months we listed our house, sold our house, built a new house, and moved, then squeeze in DHs by-pass surgery in the middle of that. I'm exhausted! So, my resolution is to take better care of myself, for me. That may include walking more, trying out new recipes, getting my nails done, or perhaps having a first-ever massage. I'm not putting up any goals, only to keep the stress level down. I've certainly had enough of that in 2014 to count for 2015, too.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Not really a resolution, just a renewed effort at staying healthy.

Well, I do want to start meditating so I guess that can be my resolution.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I don't do resolutions, but wanted to comment on the massage.

You are so right in that it can be a necessity! I have had two times where I ended up in physical therapy - once lower back, once neck/shoulder area. PT really helped but was somewhat time consuming - several weeks of mutiple appointments. I noticed the massage really seemed to relax my muscles so earlier this year when I was again having an issue, I started massage. As long as I do that and exercises on my own - the issue is resolved. I get these incredibly tightened muscles/knots. Usually it is associated with my job and changing my work station or chair or position, etc. I've also become aware of my posture and work on not slumping or slouching when I'm sitting and really engrossed in a project. Besides helping with the knotted/tight muscles, the massage is so relaxing and you come out feeling like melted butter HA! I would think it will help greatly with stress. Enjoy!

• mboston_gw
    9 years ago

My first resolution is to set attainable goals. My weight and cholesterol have increased the last year but I am not ready to face the big number for weight loss, so I am vowing to cut out the snacking and be more aware of portion sizes. I am going back to not drinking soda and replace it with flavored water.

I do excerise but I need to add walking. It worked for me before and I know I certainly felt better for making these changes.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

I don't do resolutions but I want to say to tishtosh: go for those power tools. It's not that hard and you will feel so empowered. Waiting for someone else to get to a project is way too frustrating. You may not do it right the first time but practice makes perfect. Go girl!

• texanjana
    9 years ago

I don't do resolutions, per se, but instead set an intention. Mine for 2015 is to mind my own business.

• User
    9 years ago

Interesting article in the Times yesterday, about making choices to become the kind of person you want to be rather than becoming a better or more efficient version of the person you already are. Food for thought on this rainy Sunday morning...

Adding to nhbaskets, IMO you have earned 365 days of sleeping late or at least two months of staying in your pajamas all day

Here is a link that might be useful: Improved You or Different You?

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Jan 4, 15 at 8:42

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

Great article kswl. Thanks. I make a budget and/or financial goals for the year, but no resolutions.

Otherwise I make goals throughout the year to be completed by a certain timeframe. Having goals with an end date is easier to reach than just making them with a start date. The one I'm working on now is getting my physical self in shape before a big birthday towards the end of the year.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

This subject came up in our family when we were celebrating.
    My one daughter said her NY resolution was to come up with a NY resolution. My 11yo DD had a pretty good one, that the whole family will adopt, which is to start every dinner with a green salad. Good for her!

My DS wants to do one good deed a day. DH claims he has already reached perfection and he does not need a resolution. : )

I forget where I was reading something that struck me as a good resolution, but it was about finding and nurturing shared interests with your kids, so that you continue to have a foundation for a close relationship with them as they grow up and don't depend on you. It was really about not taking your kids for granted as people. I have decided to work on that; as a parent you spend so much time critiquing and driving them ... I want to take a step back and pay attention to them as people.

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone