Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl2

So, What Did You Get for Christmas?

kswl2
9 years ago

I had a very modest Christmas this year. There was practically nothing on my wish list but I was surprised by a few things nonetheless: nutcracker napkin rings from DH (my favorite present); Chanel No. 19 perfume from SIL; hand made soaps and a willow puzzle from my nephews; Hope in a Jar moisturizer and lip glosses and exfoliant from DD (who was sensible enough to ask me what I wanted, lol); a tin of home baked cheese straws from SIL's husband (an architect who takes many hours each year at Christmas to make these for clients, relatives and friends); flowers delivered from a couple of dear friends and from one of our DSs; a piece of her jewelry from my mother (who is divesting herself of it bit by bit each year, mostly to DD at my request but this year she gave me a brooch I have long coveted); and the biggest surprise of all, a beautiful Eileen Fisher outfit from my mother--- slacks, silk tunic, open weave mohair sweater and scarf that I LOVE and that fits me perfectly! I can't even remember the last time someone gave me clothing that I liked and that fit!

Oh, and can't forget that new subzero refrigerator, damn that thing.....still annoyed at having to buy a new one unplanned although it did yeooman's duty at Thanksgiving and Christmas and is a better fridge than the 23 year old one it replaced.

So, what did you get that was fun, appreciated, hated, a surprise?

Comments (32)

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

HATED: I got a gastro bug 3 hours after going to bed Xmas eve, before bed I had set out all the gifts at the foot of the tree and filled 7 stockings to the brim-
    I was able to sit for bit ,in time to see everyone tear open the gifts,
    then spent the rest of the day in bed :)
    DH joined me in this nasty gift.

LOVED: I did get a beautiful David Yurman silver and gold ring from DH, ( I picked it and bought it ) so I feigned surprise and admiration.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I got what I wanted! I left the boot behind, got in an air cast and am walking around on 2 feet again! Wahoo!

• sas95
    9 years ago

My favorite gifts were from family{{gwi:807}} members who live in Abu Dhabi and Australia. They each gave me a piece of art from a local artist, and I love having something that is unique and reflects where the givers live.

Worst gift- my 5 year old niece threw up milk all over my non-kid-friendly sofa. I am still working on eradicating the sights and smells of this gift.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by sas95 on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 8:47

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Definitely some hits and misses in these replies :-) Sorry to hear of your Christmas gastobug, mitchdesi, but the ring sounds lovely!

Congrats on rejoining the ranks of the bipeds, Annied ! Restoration to full functioning is a wonderful gift, indeed.

Love the sound of those gifts of art, Sas95 but sorry to hear your sofa bore the brunt of the holiday entertaining :-(

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Best gift at least in terms of "it's the thought that counts" -- for the first time, our three kids (ages 13, 19, 22) went shopping together for an afternoon and pooled their money to get gifts for DH and me. I could tell they put a lot of thought into the gifts, and it made DH and me happy to think of them doing this together (they are far apart in age, and different enough, so they don't really hang out together, though they do get along fine).

DH and I decided on a one-gift-only policy for each other this year, which I was happy with, but our real gift to each other is an overnight stay this weekend at the Four Seasons in Boston and dinner out at a great restaurant. My one gift was a star necklace from David Yurman that I had been eyeballing for a while.

SIL gave me a sweater that looked great in the box but when I tried it on, it doubled the size of my hips. It's awful on me, but she had removed the tags and didn't include a receipt. Sigh.

My dad gave us money, which we'll use for our fancy dinner out this weekend.

We had several fun social events, from a big neighborhood party to a nice dinner out with our two "BFF" couples, and those are always the best gifts!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"SIL gave me a sweater that looked great in the box but when I tried it on, it doubled the size of my hips. It's awful on me, but she had removed the tags and didn't include a receipt. Sigh."

That is the story of my clothing gifts over the years, SueB. Sounds like the rest of your Christmas was pretty sweet, though! It's lovely that your kids went together to buy gifts for you and your husband. I mentioned in another thread that I gave my kids several pictures of themselves with their sibs just for a visible reminder of their ties. They live in three separate areas of the country and see each other three or four times a year.....infrequently enough to start losing that closeness. It's great that your three initiated the shopping trip, shared experiences are what bind us together.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Best gifts: I got my FitBit and new Polar HR monitor, new floor mats for my car, wireless earbuds.

Worst gift: For DH from MIL, a monkey lamp. We went to an estate auction this summer where he saw this interesting monkey lamp which wound up going for a fair bit of money. We couldn't find anything about it. At the time, we said we knew MIL would buy us a monkey lamp, although it was that particular monkey lamp that he wanted. We have also told her in the past no more lamps. We have lamps in boxes we can't use because we have no space for them. He told her he did not want a monkey lamp,so, yes, we got a monkey lamp. She paid a lot of money for it, and it's from ebay, so it's really not returnable. I love MIL, but this drives me nuts.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I didnt get a lot of presents this year which I am totally OK with!. One of the nicest was from someone that works for me across country. She wrote me a very very nice note and sent me a couple of things from an artist I like.

My MIL bought a lot of stuff because she wanted to bring gifts for the kids but it was mostly clothes that don't fit despite me being precise in giving the sizes and saying no pants (my boys are really hard to buy pants for)

My parents decided they didnt want to spend a lot on toys for the kids (which I was thinking myself so worked out well!) They got the kids really nice pajamas and robes which they needed and a bird feeder!

Exactly what I wanted and we have all had a ball. It is a pretty big one with 12 perches and we have been laughing at the antics of the squirrels trying to get to the feeder and they gave us some books to look up birds.

One squirrel was climbing the screens on our windows like a ninja and it was very funny, :)

We also got the kids a microscope and a lab kit and they have been having fun doing experiments with their dad.

Lastly a fish tank and we will be going to get some fish this weekend and to set that up.

Overall pretty great, but still more toys then I was hoping for. We need to do some more purging!

• pattyxlynn
    9 years ago

Great idea for a thread, Kswl! I've enjoyed reading the responses. I especially liked the thought of the effort put into the cheese straws and also the bird feeder for family to watch together.

My favorite present was from my 28 y/o son who is on a very strict budget. For background, I had told him I was upset that time got away from me and I didn't make any Christmas ornaments with our four year old GS. Last year we made several age-appropriate ones. We did make a gingerbread house together but you can't hang that on a tree!

Back to the present. He gave me a book and later told me he read the backs of probably 15 books to find one he thought I'd like. I love, love, to read so that was perfect. He also remembered our conversation about the ornament and found a small, picture frame ornament with the year on it. He included our GS's picture with Santa to put in it. He said that could be our ornament for this year. The thought that went into his presents really touched me.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

I'm not trying to sound like I'm above presents - because I do love them. But again this year my best present was the fact that all 3 adult children, one DIL and one boyfriend were here for Christmas morning and dinner. They're all in their 30's and every year I pinch myself because who knows where they might be next year - transferred to a distant state, visiting their in-laws, on vacation, stuck at home with a sick infant (although the last would still be nice since I don't have any grandchildren at the moment). We have such a small family left - our parents are long gone, my brothers live out of state and DH only has one sister who also lives far away. So I really cherish these times when we can be together - and no one got their nose in a snit this year - which makes the entire family get together a true success.

My worst gift was actually 3 of them - everyone knows that chocolate covered caramels are my favorite - and as a result I received 3 boxes of them plus something new and definitely delicious - Buffalo Oreos that my son picked up in Buffalo. They're oreos dipped in a rich milk chocolate. Now if only someone also gave me the willpower to resist them I'd be happy. I think I'll have to hide them in the back of the freezer.

Some of the gifts were quite different - one of my sons bought show tickets and as a combination January birthday present he's taking me to dinner and a comedy show.
    My other son and DIL gave me a spa afternoon - but the best part is that they also gave the same gift to DD - and she suggested that we go together.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

I got spoiled. Got to spend time with the kids, which was what I really wanted.

DH got me a generous gift cert to a local book store (not a chain! Yay!) and a hot stone massage GC.

Kids showered me with trinkets that have special meaning for me (DD1 has always gotten me something with a bird on it, for example.) 6 bars of my favorite locally made soap, blingy statement necklace, craft cheddar cheese, home made canoli, and DS made me some infused oil he makes and uses at his restaurant. And i received the most spectacular robe. It feels like being covered with baby bunnies while lying on a cloud being bathed in warming sunbeams. DD2 had purchased one for herself at Nordstrom and loved it so much she ordered one for me and one for DD1.

But best, best was Christmas dinner and dessert. We all worked on different aspects of the food, so that was great fun. And DS made a heavenly caramel creme brulee.

This ranked as one of the best ever Christmases for me.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Duplicated post removed

This post was edited by pesky1 on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 17:15

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I wanted my favorite oil painting restored. It is an antique that DM bought many years ago and hung in her home for 40 plus years until I inherited it. Sad to say DH didn't make it happen :(. Instead I got a GC from Chico's which is fine but I still haven't spent the one from last year.

My DS and his gal gave me a Starbucks GC. My DD1 bought me some Ann Taylor items that fit beautifully, a silver necklace and earrings, and a book of photos from the past year of my DGSs. This is always my favorite type of gift. My DD2 had a photo book made from my youngest DGS's first year and a darling framed pic of him on Santa's lap. That precious little boy (eight months) sat very patiently and didn't seem to be the least bit disturbed by the jolly old soul with a white beard.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

We were fortunate to build a new home this year, so I really was not expecting much under the tree. One huge surprise, however, was a ceiling fan from our two sons. DH arranged to have it installed while I was at work one day last week. I was totally surprised when I arrived home. My favorite gift was a pinafore from Rough Linen. I recently discovered Rough Linen from a thread here. What a find!

• polly929
    9 years ago

I got a pair of Frye boots that I LOVE from DH.
    And we are just about to start a bathroom renovation, so I really wasn't expecting anything.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Loving all these stories of gifts and the good thoughts put into them by the givers!

• bestyears
    9 years ago

My husband gifted me with a Fitbit (as requested) and I LOVE it. Not requested, and a bigggg surprise was a replacement diamond in my wedding ring. I had lost it more than a year ago -just looked down one day and it was gone!

DS and DD gave me very thoughtful gifts (even if DS's thoughts were prompted by DD, LOL!). Handmade soaps, a purse for special evenings out, hand crafted earrings...

But I agree with everyone -the company of those we love most is the gift for which I am deeply grateful.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Due to the nurses in our family having weird and conflicting work schedules and family trips planned this year, we had 3 Christmas celebrations, one with each family, so it made each one special. But we missed our big day with everyone in a way too. DH surprised me with a new iPad mini with Retina display. I had cracked my old one. It still worked ok, except for some problems using earphones. It was only a couple of years old. Still, I was thrilled. He also gave me a new bright neon running hoodie and some compression socks. Our kids gave us great gifts too. One big surprise was a new printer from DD for both of us. We needed it! And DGD (15) always amazes us with her thoughtful gifts. She brought a tear to DH's eye with a big book on the history of the Army.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

For christmas I got the most wonderful present from my 4 year old granddaughter.
    She was so excited to give it to me as she picked it out herself from the dollar store.
    I wore it all day and she was beeming.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

DW & I didn't exchange much because of our operations this year!
    (hers HAD to be done in a timely manner back in March...& my knee this Fall)

But...when DD & DW were in NYC 3wks ago, they "had to" go to Saks of course! DD got these...
    (they were on a good sale I guess!)
    She's 5'11" & all leg, so these look stunning on her!

I WANTED to surprise DW with a KNOCKOUT watch, to give her something "heirloom worthy" for what she went thru. I had my eye on a Bvlgari Bzero1-series watch for a while, but it's into 4-figure$ a ways, & I'm still trying to figure out how to swing it!??!?!?

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Saks Valentino

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, Faron.....those are KNOCKOUT boots!!

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

We live in an artists' mecca out here in New Mexico. So much inspiration. So many artists. We love it. You all may laugh at my latest piece, but I adore it. The primitive fish sculpture now hanging on the wall between our kitchen and family room. DH bought it for me for Christmas after we saw it at an art show last month. I've hung it here so that we can enjoy it every day alongside some of my other favorite small pieces. OK, I can see some of you shaking your heads already (LOL). But, among them there is also an original Alice Valdez, and world renown wildlife photographer Phil Sonier's most famous photo "Watcher in the Woods" among my little "jewels". Anyhoo, I love this new Christmas gift of mine.
    Lynn

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Tue, Dec 30, 14 at 11:40

• funkyart
    9 years ago

I LOVE the your fish art, Lynn!

An eileen fisher outfit is such a great gift, KSWL! I bought myself an EF jacket right before Christmas-- and while it doesn't have the sentiment of the other gifts, it might be my very favorite new item.

I also received artwork-- a watercolor done by bf's SIL-- along with jewelry, some small kitchen tools and a humidifier! LOL One fun little surprise was a set of salt and pepper grinders that we'd seen at a restaurant in Philadelphia just a few days before. I loved how simple and sleek they were-- miniature versions of my kitchen mills. BF tracked them down and had them delivered in time to wrap. He's never hunted anything down like that so it was especially nice.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

The fish and the watercolor are awesome!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

My 16-year-old son went to the stone shop and bought me a new pestle as mine had fallen and broken and was unable to be glued. It was truly beautiful and now I want a new mortar to go with it. Dh bought me a new Sabatier paring knife, carbon steel, and I love that.

There were some lovely gifts exchanged this year but my 16 year old received his own fish art from his younger brother and that one is the one that gave me the joy of laughter. Every year, the younger kids go with their Sunday school group to a local thrift store that supports the underprivileged of our area. They sing carols, serve cookies and shop. I often hold my breath at the gifts they come back with but that singing fish plague my 8 year old gave to his brother will be held onto for a long time just so I can laugh all over again.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

Love your fish Lynn, it plays so well with your other art !!

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I got a dash cam. I'm always telling dh about the things I see when I'm driving and now I can show him. lol

• bpath
    9 years ago

I got my Vitamix! And an alarm clock with my drill-down of features: always glowing dial with adjustable brightness, silent sweep second hand, snooze alarm, and retro styling! And Pioneer Girl!

Not shown, my guys got me a couple of gift packs from Bath and Body Works. Travel sizes, not my favorite scents, so yesterday I exchanged them. For MORE than I got! Yay clearance sales! Two little three-packs became three full size bottles of shower gel, and cash left over, AND a 20% coupon. So I'll be back for, oh, 4 or 5 bottles of lotion and shower gel. Whoopee!

Now, about those other two gifts. When we were on a project together this past year, one DB noticed my use of online menu planning. So he got me an adjustable tablet stand, with a stylus, to use in the kitchen. I can use the stylus and not have to dry my hands very time I need to scroll the screen. DB is veery low on funds, so this was a true and thoughtful gift. Another DB lives across the globe and travels extensively for vacations. He gave me yoga socks. I don't take yoga. I have a gym, but he is not aware of it. But my New Years,resolution is to be nice, and DB has gone back home, so, well, maybe I will take yoga at the gym and it will turn out to have been a good gift after all.

• bpath
    9 years ago

But wait, you say, isn't Pioneer Girl out of stock? Why, yes it is. The authors were unprepared for the good reviews and consequent wide-spread interest in their project, so there weren't enough printed in the first runs. Where did this book come from? Well, look inside. The first clue: Laura's name is misspelled. And "'ol' Laura could spill a sentence or two"? My guys are pretty creative and won't be daunted, so my book is on reserve. Maybe it'll become my bday present lol!

Btw, the actual tome used is a 1977 COBOL textbook. Ah, vintage.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

BP - that book is so cute! My GGMa and Laura were first cousins - really - so my book is on order too. Can't wait.

My DH and I didn't exchange gifts as we are trying to get this house finished. We were to get our final inspection today but because of a big inspection issue we have to wait. I'm so upset.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

It has been an absolutely wonderful holiday season. I decided this year I was not going to rush or get worked up over anything. It worked! I've enjoyed this Christmas so much!! The best thing has been the 2+ weeks off hubby and I have had. Our last day at work was the Wednesday before Christmas. We go back the 5th. Hubby did go in one day for a minor emergency and this past Monday he went in to a meeting. But other than that we have enjoyed preparing for Christmas Day (we host Christmas dinner) together, spending time together and with family and friends. We've lunched out the past two days, run errands, went antiquing today, etc. We are neither one going to want to go back to work!!! And my puppy is not going to like it either LOL!