Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Holdiay tipping question-multiple providers at one place

neetsiepie
9 years ago

I get my nails done at a little salon where the girls tend to rotate who helps customers. It's nearly impossible to get an appointment with one specific girl. They all do the job-but there is one who is VERY good. She tries to book me as much as possible, but they work on an walk in basis, so if she's just starting a client, I'll see someone else.

Anyway, how do I handle the holiday tipping? One or two girls I've never had work on me, so I don't think I need to give something to them all.

I'm going in this week and plan to give my favorite gal a holiday bonus (what do you tip for a holiday bonus to a manicurist anyway?) but if I don't get her-would it be weird to drop her off a discrete card and tip the girl who helps me my usual amount?

Comments (7)

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

My GF goes to the same type of salon and she usually takes in a platter with cookies or some kind of treat for everyone to share and then gives her 'usual' manicurist a small envelope with cash. I think it's usually recommended to give a tip equal to one visit - but that could range from $12 to $60 so you'd have to decide what works for you.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

For those types of relationships I usually just tip especially heavily around the holidays, with a pointed "enjoy your holidays" when you fork it over. Bring an envelope with a tip in case you don't get your favorite so you can discreetly give her a gift too.

I'd tip one to two times the cost of the service.
    You can google all sorts of tipping guides.

As noted in other threads, it's especially nice to pair the green stuff with something personal. If you really like the group, something homemade. Otoh a lot of places get simply overrun with holiday goodies. So a particularly nice card might be all you need to personalize your gift, especially with a heartfelt appreciative sentiment.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. These gals are immigrants that dont celebrate Judeo-Christian or western holidays as their custom, so I dont think Ill bring in goodies. But I think I will give a larger than usual tip to whoever I get, and if its `my` girl I`ll give her the cost of the service.

I did wish them all a Happy New Year for their cultures celebration. They got a real kick out of that.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

May I just add a word about gifts of goodies? I volunteer at my library and so many well-meaning patrons drop off goodies for the staff, who are almost all middle aged women. That means almost all are watching their weight and are health conscious. I can't tell you how many of these goodies get dumped after going stale. The amount of sugary stuff that ends up back in the office is overwhelming. A nice donation to the library in honor of the staff would be much more helpful and appreciated. I realize that this is not going to work in most commercial establishments, but you should know that your goodies may go to waste.

I just hate the custom of tipping. Hate it, but we have hashed that out here before.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Ded, I agree with you, apart from maybe a frat house, there are not many places where goodies upon goodies are truly welcome and the recipients are not conflicted. Personally I immediately regift the Godiva I get from someone every year to a charity holiday bazaar, where parents donate gifts, kids buy for their families, and proceeds go to charity.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

"These gals are immigrants that dont celebrate Judeo-Christian or western holidays as their custom, so I dont think Ill bring in goodies."

That's not always true. Most walk-in nail salons (at least in my area) are Vietnamese or South Koren owned/operated. Christianity was well established in both countries around the 16th century. I have found that many of the technicians who have worked on my nails (2/mo x 20years!) have been very devout Christians.

I think taking food would be very well appreciated. They work their butts off during the holidays and rarely have more than a few minutes to get a bite to eat. I might take a gift basket with fruit, nuts, cheese, crackers, and something sweet.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yes, I know that's not always true! In this case, it is-I've had long talks with 'my' gal about their customs and lots of personal conversations. I've learned so much about her life here in the States versus her life in Vietnam. but she's definitely not Christian.

My eldest DD was best friends growing up with a girl who immigrated from Vietnam with her family-the oldest brother was a recent Christian convert, but her mother and another brother held to their traditional Buddhist beliefs.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022