Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

My Latest CL Find

anele_gw
9 years ago

Meet Chou Chou!

I'd been wanting a dog for over a year . . . but very hesitant because we have cats and young children. This little cutie came up on CL-- her previous owner said she didn't bark or whine, was very gentle, housebroken, etc. Her owner dropped her off at our house for 4 hours to get to know her and see how she'd fit in, and we all* fell in love immediately!

The kids named her Chou Chou after a dog in a Japanese anime version of Les Miserables. (Yes, very random.)

It means "butterfly" in Japanese and is a term of endearment in French, they tell me.

*not my husband, but he'll come around!

Comments (52)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

BEST CL find, ever!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Super!

• maddielee
    9 years ago

What a cute pup! A doodle of some sort?

ML

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Super cute! Congratulations!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Sooooo cute!!!!!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing in the joy of my find, hee hee!

Maddie, she is a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier.

I feel like we we have another toddler in the house!

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

She's so cute! How old is she? My dog is 5 and I still feel like we have a toddler in the house!

She looks like she is so sweet, congrats.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Such a cute puppy dog! Greatest of CL finds!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nancy, I bet! She is only 6 months old. What kind of dog do you have?

Outside, thanks!

• jlj48
    9 years ago

Adorable. We are searching for the right addition to our family too. I hope we get as fortunate as you!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh Anele, she is so sweet. I think every house needs a dog and cat or multiples of each. She is definitely the best CL find I've seen.

My Murphy (Havanese) and KoKo (Yorkie), send Chou Chou, puppy kisses and tail wags!

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Anele ~ You and Newhomebuilder got the cutest pups from CraigsList.
    She really is a doll.
    All I get here are $400 pitbulls :(

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joanie, are you looking for a dog or cat? Any particular kind? I will be sending you wonderful pet vibes!

Holly-Kay, wow! I would love to see pictures of them. Yorkies are so adorable. I love the Havanese breed. They seem fantastic. I had been thinking about going the breeder route, and for sure that is the breed I would have chosen.

Forboys, I missed Newhomebuilder's puppy! Aw about the pitbulls. I know they can be truly great dogs. I am just afraid that if one is having a bad day (as we all can) then that would be a tragedy here due to my kids/cats.

When I've been looking for a dog, I didn't care about it being a purebred or what it looked like-- at all. I would have been happiest with a mixed breed b/c of health issues. Before I knew about puppy mills I bought a fox terrier from a pet store, just because he was small, hypoallergenic (my BF at the time was allergic and I thought we'd get married!), and CUTE. He was the hardest dog I've ever met and it was not a good experience. We even had a personal trainer for him who was terrible (mean). And another one who wanted me to give him massages (2 extremes!). I think partly b/c of the breed and partly because he was from a puppy mill. I stupidly thought with enough training I could make it work. He was not good around children (I didn't know that at the time) so I had to find a new home for him when he was 7. It took me a year of looking, though (I planned ahead for before I had kids), and found a really fantastic home for him. He lived the rest of his days with a retired man on a golf course, and had his own bedroom. When I saw his family pic, it was a huge photo with the whole family, inc. another fox terrier.

I wanted a dog that was easy (for a dog)-- the way the previous owner described this dog was exactly what I was looking for. Because of her breed she does need special food and I know they are prone to serious diseases. :( And, I asked the owner if she got her from a pet store or breeder. . . .she said breeder. But (after we fell in love with her) and I looked at her papers, I figured out she thought she got her from a breeder, but I am pretty sure she got her from a broker . . .and that means puppy mill. Sad, sad, sad. I feel bad about that. She is super cute but her personality is what won us all over.

• jlj48
    9 years ago

I am so happy for you Anele! We have a cat that found us - On a snowy Valentine's Day 4 years ago, by son woke up to kitty cries in his bedroom window which was egress (in the basement). She had either fallen in or was placed in - not sure which. My daughter immediately named her Cupid and claimed her as ours. After not being able to locate her owner we kept her and she has been wonderful. Our sweet dog died about a year and a half ago of bladder cancer. I got wonderful responses here when I posted pictures. Anyway, we are ready for another dog. We prefer to rescue one from a shelter and have been looking for the right one. We want a medium to large dog that can go for walks and is wonderful with children. I'm sure it will be a mixed breed which is fine. My daughter wants a puppy, but considering the work that they are and the need for placement for adult dogs, I think she will be happy with whatever we get.
    I became very upset when I found an animal control site a couple of hours from my home that routinely euthanizes kittens and puppies. I became MORE upset when I learned that the no-kill rescue shelter in the same town did not intervene. They planned to euthanize a border collie mix and 2 black lab puppies last week. I was outraged and called neighboring shelters to intervene. They all said they would contact the site, but since I could NOT go and rescue them myself I did not follow up to find out what happened. I haven't been so sad and angry at the same time in a long time. So YES, it will be a rescue doggy we get.
    Your new addition is such a cutie pie!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Oh, the soft-coated Wheatons are sooooo adorable, and a just-right size when grown. My cousins had one. I hear they can be jumpers but with good training they are stellar doggies. And sooooo cute!

Love the name Chou Chou, so many ways to have fun with it (choo choo, shoe shoe when he chews your Jimmy Choos, shoo shoo when you want him to scram) In French "mon p'tit chou" is a term of endearment, means "my little cabbage". Goofy except we called our DS "little pumpkin", so all's fair lol!

Enjoy your little cutie pie :)

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Ohhh, she's adorable!!! How wonderful that she now has a loving home with you.
    Funny about her name. Chou Chou has been my nickname for DD her entire life! Growing up, we had a summer house on a lake just outside a small French town in Ontario, Canada. I guess that I picked up that term of endearment there. I love it . . . and your new furkid!
    Lynn

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Love the dog, and the name!

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

anele, my little girl is a beagle, very pretty and very active.

• jlsch
    9 years ago

Awww, your photo grabbed my attention! I have had a rescue Wheaten for about 8 years now. His name is Weasley and he is my favorite dog ever. I have never had success in breaking him of the 'wheaten greetin' where he jumps up on people to greet them....but my son has not helped the cause as he encourages it! Ugh! They are wonderful dogs and have very sweet dispositions if you can tolerate some of their stubborn nature. I'm sure you will enjoy her! She is adorable!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Your new dog is adorable and sounds like he has a personality to match his looks, congratulations! My three mutts are all rescue dogs---Mr. Fluffy, a Lhasa Apso "mix;" Madison, our "Jack Rat;" and Charlie, our little Maltese, wish your new girl a Happy Thanksgiving and the best of holidays after! Sharing your lives with a dog or cat is one of the best experiences for a child, IMO. I once saw a tee shirt that said Be The Person Your Dog Thinks You Are......it struck a chord in the way some sayings do :-)

Our Charlie was cruelly abused as a puppy and at two years old still displays fear and anger in certain situations. You are lucky to be getting your new dog from a loving home.

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

How cute and fun!!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joanie, what a wonderful story about your kitty! So sweet. A most delightful Valentine's! It would be great to work with a shelter to find your dog. That is what my first choice would have been. I have been a vegetarian for over 2 decades because of animal rights-- I think anyone who is a thinking, feeling being has a hard time thinking of the suffering animals undergo. In our case, a rescue would not have been possible because my husband was not on board with getting a dog. That would have been a huge no for them, and understandably so. At least our 2 cats are rescues. It's interesting though-- almost EVERYONE asks me where we got our dog. There is a lot of pressure to get a rescue dog for sure. I look forward to the day you rescue your new dog-- I know the "rescue" works both ways!

Bpathome, I have heard the same about Wheatens! Ours does not jump on anyone except when the kids are running. She definitely has a herding instinct (and wants to nip!) so we are working hard to desensitize her. Lots and lots of treats while the kids are running around and she remains calm, leaves them alone, etc. And hee hee, I was thinking the same thing about the play on words with Chou! Wish I had some Jimmy Choos, lol!

Lynn, that is so sweet! What a perfect nickname for your DD!

Mtn, thank you!

Nancy, beagles are great! How do you keep her busy?

Wigardener, awww! Ours does the greetin' without the jumping. Sometimes she gets nippy during the licking, too-- so we are working hard to break her of that habit. That is what most concerns me about her. I have to be extremely vigilant with her and my toddler esp., but she gets riled up with the kids in general. (Anyone who thinks 5 girls sit around and are quiet all day has never been around 5 girls!) She LOVES food, though, so she has been very responsive to treat training. Would love to see a pic of your Weasley!

Kswl, your doggies sound precious! I agree that it's important for kids to grow up with animals. I'd been thinking about getting a dog for a year . . .and then I saw something recently that said, "Every kid deserves a mom who will let them get a dog . . ." that did it! Poor Charlie. Our dog did come from a loving home but she still has some issues! We are working hard on keeping her busy and making interactions very positive. Even though it's cold here I look forward to the solitude of our walks together, too. (Which won't happen during a Polar Vortex!)

Gibby, thank you!

• emeraldisle624
    9 years ago

So happy for your family and doggy. :)

This post was edited by emeraldisle624 on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 4:01

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

When the girls get a nip from the dog-
    tell them to give a yelp and turn their back to her.
    Stop all play and ignore the behavior.

By "yelp", I mean like a puppy being nipped....

• jlsch
    9 years ago

Here's my guy.... : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Weasley

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Emerald!

Forboys, we've tried that . . .sadly, I don't think it's coming from play.

Wigardener, aww! So cute!

Things are not going well now. She is continually trying to snap at my 2 y.o. She is really perfect in every other way-- amazing. But this is dangerous, not inconvenient or annoying. I can live with inconvenient or annoying. I'm going to talk to my vet about discussing with a behaviorist, but everything I'm reading makes me think we will have to rehome her.

In EVERY other way-- amazing. All I do is read articles and training books for answers and reassurance. Seems like they all advocate keeping the kid/dog separated which just isn't practical or fair to anyone.

• jlj48
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry Anele. You cannot have a dog snapping at your child. When my beagle snapped at my child, we put her in her place however NEVER trusted her again. Our beagle was moody. I don't know anything about your breed, but I understand all dogs to be pack animals. You are the alpha, and they consider your children to be part of their pack, hence equals. They will snap at others for dominance in the pack. I always worked to show my dog that she wasn't an equal to any of us, that all of us humans were in authority over her. That is hard to do with a 2 year old. I wish you the best of luck in figuring this out and hope you get to keep her.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Better you find out now
    then 5 years down the road when you end up with a great dog in the yard
    but the girls can't have friends over..

If you plan to rehome (or not) maybe you can reach out to a Wheaton rescue group ....

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Anele, if you have to give Chou Chou up please check for a Wheaten terrier rescue group. Our Havanese rescue group is superb and finds wonderful foster homes with people who know the breed and are adept at dealing with less than desirable traits. Many fail at the foster job and end up adopting their foster.

WTBS, nipping is a very normal behavior in pups. When my Hav Murphy was a pup he nipped me often. Each time I yelped like forboys suggested and as he got older it ended but with a toddler that could be nipped in the face it may be better to try to find a rescue group. She is just precious and I pray that she will find a good home.

You may also consider finding a rescue dog. The rescue groups are usually outstanding in finding a dog with a personality that is suitable for your situation. I agree with KSWL and others that all children should have a dog in their lives.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much, Joanie, Forboys, and Holly-Kay. I brought her to my vet and my friend talked to a behaviorist about her. I will be calling the behaviorist tomorrow, but at this point both the vet and behaviorist think she is too much of a risk. They said that it possible to train her out of it, but the behaviorist said it will take "massive amounts of management."

I'm in contact with 2 reputable rescues. One of them said that even though it was "only" a pre-bite, it might be an issue. That makes me take this all the more seriously.

If anything happened to my child (or another) I could never forgive myself, and of course, the dog would likely die, too. If I put her in the right situation, everyone can stay safe.

My husband is actually trying to figure out how to keep her-- and he was the last one on board about her. However, he only sees her when she is sleepy at night-- doesn't see what happens in the day when I am alone here. She is so amazing that is easy to forget the risk. :(

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

(((Hugs))) Anele. Your toddler's safety comes first. A rescue organization will find a great foster family for her. Maybe they could find a foster that would work on the issues.

An older dog may be just the ticket as their personality is already formed and would be past the puppy/nippy stage. It will be sad to give Chou Chou up but you are doing the right thing for your situation.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, Holly-Kay. This has been very difficult and confusing.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a sad update.

Tonight, we returned her back to her previous owner (no money back for me, of course). She said she would not resell and had 2 possible homes for her with people who were both former Wheaten owners . . .and would not be around young children.

I had considered calling another behaviorist. The first one wouldn't even come out and do an evaluation because the initial pre-bite was considered aggression as was the snapping. So, I called my friend who is a vet for some more names. My friend said no way-- the dog should not be living with us. She sees too many bites on children when they come in after having been to the ER, in order to put the dog to sleep. She says everyone says, "But the dog has NEVER done this before."

So, I am thankful the dog at least warned us, and that no damage was done. 2 vets, 1 behaviorist, and 2 people who run SCWT rescues all said it was an unsafe situation. Who was I to go against them at the expense of my child?

I keep thinking she is in her crate next to me, where she slept at night . . .I miss her so much already, but know this was the right decision.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry this didn't work for you and for your darling dog. But you made the right decision and hopefully you will be comforted by the safety of your child and the proper placement of Chou Chou with a child free home.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Anele,
    I'm sorry it didn't work out for your family. I'm sure it was a heart wrenching decision. Hopefully you all will someday find the perfect pup for your family.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

So sorry this did not work out, Anele! Fwiw I think puppies and young children are never a good combination. Don't give up trying to find "your" dog......he or she is out there somewhere.

• jlj48
    9 years ago

I'm sorry it didn't work out. I hope you find the right dog for your family soon.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Anele, Of course you made the right decision. Years ago, I went to meet what would have been my first rescue Brittany. That poor dog bit me twice during our meet, and of course that was it. I was VERY upset later to learn that he also bit the foster mom's sister that night, badly, and the rescue group came quickly to the very tough decision that he was un-adoptable....

You'll find another wonderful dog, and as the mom of three rescues, all of whom are so loving that they sleep in bed with me every night, I can guarantee that there is a dog out there which is perfect for your family.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

I am so sorry this did not work out, but the safety of your child comes first, of course. Hopefully a new home without children can be found for her.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Olychick, thank you. Yes, the safety aspect was extremely concerning, so it is a relief.

Bethpen, I appreciate that!

Kswl, I had hoped for an older dog to begin with-- I was glad this one was out of the early puppy stage, but maybe if she had been younger, we could have socialized her enough to be accustomed to my youngest. Likely not, though. Probably temperament. Did you have dogs when your children were young?

Joanie, how is your puppy doing?

My3dogs, oh my goodness! How sad for all of you, especially with it being your first rescue! My sister had a Brittany that was so lovely. She wanted another, and her trainer told her of one at a shelter. Met her and fell in love. She was super sweet, but when she introduced her to the one she already had, became wildly dog-aggressive. Didn't work out. I love your dogs and seeing them all snuggled up in your beautiful home! How much and how do you exercise them?

Texanjana, thank you so much. The woman has two homes in mind, both child-free. She told me she noticed her other dog lunged at a toddler recently, so it seems the owner had NO experience with toddlers (or didn't notice reactions) with her dogs prior to this.

We have been pretty sad without our puppy. I feel calmer because the anxiety is gone (no potential harm anymore and the decision was made), but I miss her, as do the kids.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Hi, Anele,

I'm very lucky with my 'kids', as they adore people of all ages and are very affectionate. However, they do get very excited and may jump on people who come visit for a few minutes, as they are used to spending their days with just me, and my friend living here. They quiet down quickly, but my friends may find one or two wanting to sit next to them for attention. :-)

I have a large yard, and they can access a fenced-in area for them which is about 60' x 80', and they run and play in there safely. They have a doggie door to get there. I put in a 'puppy pool' (Wal-Mart 5' across) in the summer, and they have a ball. They spend most of the day right here in my home office while I work, each in their favorite chair or the loveseat! Mine range from approx. 1.5 years - almost 14 years.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My3Dogs, I have been meaning to thank you for your last post. Your kids sound fantastic, and I always loving looking at pics of them! Your setup is great. We have a pretty good size yard for our area, but would only have one dog. I am sure having each other is a great way for your youngest pup to burn off all that energy!

We have been trying to figure out our dog situation. DH only wants a puppy . . .we think we are going to get a Golden Retriever. I've found a breeder that I think we'll work with, so hopefully we will have our new pup in May.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I'm so glad I saw this. My vet friend, who treats all of my 'kids' breeds Goldens and she has...7! Her husband is also a vet. Her dogs are just wonderful, and she sends out Easter and Halloween pics each year, with them all lined up on her front steps holding Easter baskets and wearing bunny ears, On Halloween, they all wear costumes. She shows them, and they are beautifully trained and gorgeous dogs.

I am embarrassed, but can't help showing you this pic of Riley, on New Year's Eve 2012. I had had rotator cuff surgery, and had to sleep in a recliner. I found one of those lift chairs (on CL of course!) as it was my right arm, and I couldn't manage trying to raise and lower a regular recliner. I covered it with an old sheet, as my upholstered furniture is usually covered with sheets, towels and blankets; - you can see another one covered with a pink blanket in this shot.

Riley, my second rescue, is my shadow, usually IN my office chair with me at least part of the day. I had left the 'lift chair' and he took this opportunity to be PERFECTLY comfortable!

{{gwi:2135509}}

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh! I just LOVE those feet! I always used to think my sister's Brittany had bunny feet . . .I love Riley's adorable bunny feet!

(And how smart of you to get the lift chair! What a great idea!)

That is so good to hear about your experiences with Goldens. We sort of feel this is our last chance . . .if we have another bad dog experience I don't know if we could go through this again . . .so they seem like a safe bet with our children and cats.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

So sorry this didn't work out for you and your family. Let's hope they do find a good home - and alert the new owners to the nipping problem. I don't mean to denigrate an entire breed of dogs but I've only known 5 families who had Wheatons - and three of them had nipping issues.

DH jokes that Goldens must be our town's official dog since we see so many. Labrador Retrievers rank right up there too but Goldens are so showy with their long blond hair that you naturally focus on them. I always thought they'd be the perfect family dog - as long as you're willing to deal with their hair.

We've had 7 dogs in 40 years and I can't imagine not having a dog in my life. We've worked with breeders before and it's an excellent opportunity to visit and see one or both of the parents and get an idea of their temperament.

Loved that photo of Riley's feet!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I've know many Goldens in my life, and have never heard of a bad one. I just got an email from a wonderful friend in CT, who had 2, and he lost one this summer. He says he still cries every day. He has her 'sister' Sophie, and plans to adopt another this year.

I came across that pic of Riley last night, and it just makes me laugh, as it's SO him - makes himself comfy anywhere and anyhow he wants to, and often on his back. I was glad I had the camera ready when I glanced over and saw those 'bunny feet'! He LOVES to be cuddled, and is crammed into a dog bed that I got for my tiny Jenny right now.

He's sharing a home made dog toy with younger brother Rooney (they adore each other) and the bed is a good place to do it.

{{gwi:2135510}}

• athomeinvagw
    9 years ago

Anele, we had a similar experience with a dog and it was a hard decision to try again. We found a Golden and he has been the best dog, good with the cat and the kids. It took a while for me to fully trust him since I experienced how quickly a dog can turn, but over the past 6 years I have only seen the sweetest of responses from him, even when faced with tough situations.

This post was edited by athomeinva on Sat, Jan 3, 15 at 10:23

• maddielee
    9 years ago

No argument that Goldens are wonderful dogs, and do become part of the family.

Just remember that a Golden puppy will be a puppy. A puppy chews on most everything it can reach, including small children. As long as you know what to expect and accept the puppyness of a Golden it will be a nice addition.

...and then there is the shedding. :)

ML

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Congratulations Anele! How lovely you gave her a good "recycle home"! Beauregard is another CL "recycled" dog. He was a throw away who needed a new home when her teenage girl owner decided she and her girlfriend could no longer deal with him in their apartment. An elderly relative needed something to give him a reason to interact with life, so Beau was retrieved and immediately attached himself to the elderly gentleman, becoming his "lion protector". Beau's person passed three years ago, but he's attached himself to me, becoming my "protector", which can be a bit ticklish if he doesn't know you and you get too close. He's well known by friends and family as "El Diablo Negro" (The Black Devil), but once he is comfortable with you, he's all over you like white on rice, wanting to play and get snuggled. He's probably entering his elderly stage (we figure he's probably sixteen years old), but he awakens every morning, joyous to be alive and is ready to play at a moment's notice, sun up to sun down. He's losing his sight, but accommodates it very well. Yes, he's given every consideration because of his reduced sight, but he seems relatively unaffected by it. He's probably the best watch dog possible. Let a leaf fall on the front step and you know about it! He has his "harem", two retired brood mother/show dog Toy Fox Terrors. The breeder is the groomer and she finds homes with friends and clients for her "girls" when they are nearing retirement so she gets to see them monthly for their "spa dates". They've all three become a pack with me as the alpha. Congratulations and thank you for being a good "recycler"! Happy New Year! Kim

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My3Dogs, that picture of Rooney and Riley is just so sweet. I LOVE Brittanys and that picture shows how wonderfully sweet and snuggly they are.

I am sorry to hear about your friend's pup. :( I have been thinking about that, on our search of a dog . . .how short their lives are, esp. Goldens. Even in the best circumstances, dogs' lives are just too short!

Maire Cate-- wow! 3 out of 5? That makes me feel better, I guess! They are such sweet and funny dogs in so many ways, but I guess it's hard to find ones that are trustworthy (esp around children). Someone told me they are the mascot of a store in the UK where they'd have actual Wheatens in the store all the time. I wonder if aggression is just becoming more and more of a problem in general among all breeds.

Would you say it's a good idea to go visit the breeder and the parents before we make a final decision? I hadn't thought to do that, trusting what the breeder says about them, but that is a good idea.

Athomeinva, I'm sorry you went through it, too! I am trying to learn all I can about dog body language so that I CAN feel comfortable again, but I know it will be a challenge. We stayed with family last week and they had a dog-- I was watching the dog with my kids constantly. The difference was that this dog would just walk away if he'd had enough vs. nipped. I am so glad to hear your Golden worked out!

Maddielee, I can put up with the shedding! I can put up with the typical puppy nipping and biting too-- the kids have been warned about the land shark phase . . .and they will be highly monitored. If our Wheaten had nipped out of play, we would never have rehomed her. In other words, it wasn't the nip itself but the intent behind it, along with the air snaps/warning signs she gave. She just wasn't comfortable around young children. Sadly, too, once a dog has exhibited this kind of behavior, it's a huge liability, too, esp. since I had documentation of professionals telling me she had to go.

Roseseek, how lovely! What a beautiful trio you have! Hee hee about the Fox "Terrors"!