Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natesgram_gw

Care to share? Do you volunteer, or have you ever?

natesgram
10 years ago

I recently started volunteering for the first time ever. I am helping to sew fleece lap blankets for cancer patients receiving chemo or other infusions, and preemie babies. They are delivered to several local hospitals. The materials are paid for by fundraisers but all the work is done by volunteers. I have a lot of extra time and this came to me at just the right time. I'm meeting many nice volunteers and it makes me feel good to be helping. It makes me want to look into other volunteering opportunities.

Do you ever volunteer or have you in the past? Can you share your experience?

Comments (26)

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I do it when I can. I've always volunteered for different community events, and for years I was president of our local Saturday Market (volunteer position).

One of my favorite times was when my daughters and I did a stream clean up-we were assigned a section of one of the urban streams in town and waded & floated the stream, collecting garbage & junk.

I've volunteered for a womens organization I support-I try to staff a booth at the State Fair at least one shift every year. I've also manned phone trees, and done door knocking to support a local candidate..

When my kids were in scouting I was a co-cub scout leader, did lots of stuff with the kids, including chaperoning girl scout camp, and collecting food with the cub scouts. And of course, when the kids were still in school, I was always volunteering my time to help-I preferred to chaperone field trips, since It also got ME to the cool places the kids went (lol).

I'm about to sign up to take a Master Recycler course-and part of that requires 30 hours of volunteering with the program-I'm really looking forward to that opportunity.

There are so many good volunteer opportunities-and each one brings about such good outcomes. I applaud you for stepping up and lending a hand!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I started volunteering in high school at a state run institution for developmentally disabled people (back in the day when the severely disabled were almost all institutionalized). Later in my life I volunteered as a hairdresser for the patients in a nursing home. After that, I volunteered for 10 years for our Domestic Violence program. Started out carrying a beeper all night for meeting with victims/survivors and helping them figure out how to get safe - either intake to our confidentially located shelter or helping them get to another safe location. Giving info on legal options, etc. Then I started training new volunteers for our program and programs in neighboring towns. Then I served on the Board of Directors. After my husband died, I didn't have the emotional energy and took a long break, but helped with our Legal Aid clinic. Then I started volunteering for Habitat for Humanity for a while. Most recently, I volunteered as a "search angel" helping adopted people find their original families and birth parents locate their lost children. After developing blood clots from sitting at the computer so much (it's an addictive and gratifying but labor intensive task - solving mysteries) so I had to give it up. I occasionally help our food bank with specific administrative tasks.

Now I volunteer several days a week to take care of my 3 year old grandson - the best job ever!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I feel strongly about volunteer work and giving back to the community. Several years ago I volunteered for quite some time at a local shelter for abused/abandoned/neglected, etc. children. These children were "in the system" and housed temporarily until their cases were resolved. I loved working with the children and getting to know them. However, after a while, I could not let go of them and carried much of this home with me. Many of their cases were never really resolved. Some were sent back to home that were not good for them. Some we did not know what happened to them. It got to where it really, really bothered me and I decided I needed to find something else.

I've done various types of volunteer work. Some through my church which provides a big ministry to the community - no strings attached - you do not need to be a member of the church. I love that about my church. The latest thing was this year's coats for the cold - collecting coats/scarves/gloves/hats and these were given out to those who needed them. Also have helped at a local food pantry and a local children's home. Our church now has a group who finds and organizes help for elderly, disabled, etc. persons who cannot do things for themselves. My husband has really enjoyed working with this group. The last project was a woman (divorced with children) who lived in a mobile home - they put up some type insulation (heat resisting) material on her roof, refloored a kitchen and cleaned up the yard. Before that was an elderly/not-in-good-health man who needed major yardwork and a ramp built.

tina

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I used to volunteer at a local food pantry. It was humbling, satisfying, irritating, and exhausting. I tore a ligament in my elbow and had to quit doing the heavy lifting and haven't found a spot for me since then.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I've done a lot of volunteer work over the years. Too much DH tells me (LOL!). With the garden clubs of NM. With the state Master Gardener program. In both my children's schools as a room mother, and for many, many, many school fundraisers, etc. I started school newspapers in both of their mid schools and taught after school journalism classes. I also wrote monthly school newsletters that went out to parents. Was president of the physician's wives organization for the state for 3 years and planned many seminars, conferences and community service projects. Co-edited a booklet on ways for parents to keep kids safe from predators for a national child safety organization. Was a parent volunteer for a local school system's clothing bank. For years, until just recently, I was on the of the hiring committee for our local school system.
    When DD headed off to college out of state 18 months ago, I became an empty nester and decided to take a respite from volunteer work for a bit. I'm doing more work at DH's office helping out, but am also looking for new volunteer opportunities. Maybe I'll find inspiration here on this thread. I hope so! It is so important to give back of ones self, I think.
    Lynn

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 11:12

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Through the years after retiring..literacy, library, Restore, Therapy Dog, personal associations/club involvement. Exhaust myself and time, then promise not to do it again. A personal issue that I will fill in the blanks when other volunteers fall down on their promises and then volunteering becomes a full time job. They know who to go to when needed. Tis' the ole can't say no. This has changed with physical capabilities, but I still ramp up with ideas and possibilities for the charity. Part of this is from past work experience and believe I need to fill in the space which once was.

On the plus side, volunteering while doing something loved is a wonderful time to learn along with helping. I still love learning and will always find new endeavors to go beyond in gaining new skills, seeing the world around me in a broader view and being part of the growth. There are so many areas where the volunteer is not seen or their work unknown. We forget the amount given is also returned in so many other ways.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

My first volunteer gigs were in high school. For about 6 mos or so I helped, along with other girls at my HS, a family do muscle therapy (for lack of a better term) for their son. I cant remember what he had, but we would do so many repeitions of moving his arms and legs--one person moving each limb simultaneously. This was the late 60's so I'm sure today there would be other methods. I was also a candystriper for a bit after school taking meals/books, etc. to patients. From both of these I realized I was not cut out for the healthcare industry!

I really did not volunteer again until kids were in school. As a SAHM I did alot...help in the classroom, with parties, helping in the office, fundraisers, etc. Volunteering in the library led to a part time job at a different school library when I was ready to return to work. At the same time I also did a lot of volunteering with DD's sport of figure skating...helping out at competitions, making costumes for the ice theater group, etc... does it "count" if you did it because your kids were involved?

Once i started working full time I stopped volunteering and was also kind of burned out from it at that point. So, haven't volunteered in a long while. DH and I are talking about how/where we want to volunteer once we retire in a few years. DS2 did a lot of volunteering in college and still does, along with his paying job, in his chosen career of farm animal protection.

Retired good friend has put in a lot of hours at her animal shelter but grew tired of the management there and now devotes even more time to her political party doing voter registration, etc...Lots of great things to be involved in out there!

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I have varied experiences with volunteering over about 5 decades as for many years we moved often due to DH's career in the mil. so new volunteer opportunities presented frequently. Some of these were with whichever church we joined and others with our kids' schools and activities, and community, women's, or long-term care centers.

I have worked in a charity thrift shop run by the Officers' Wives Club as a fund raiser, played piano and organ at churches, answered the phone for the crisis line, driven challenged men to locations and supervised them to assist disabled seniors with their gardens, visited and walked with disabled seniors at a LTC center, helped with fund-raising for a women's center, 4-H, and Grandmothers Campaign, was a 4-H leader, and chaperoned trips with my kids for Army Cadets and for schools with my kids and GC.

Currently I volunteer at a non-profit art gallery, with the literacy program, and with the Stephen Lewis Foundation's Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign.

Not all volunteer opportunities will be a 'good fit' for everyone and there were a couple of times I was glad to move so I could legitimately quit a volunteer position. However there are many very good organizations that could not function without volunteers so it's also an activity that brings satisfaction. It's worthwhile to search and find something you will enjoy according to your interests and strengths.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

In college I participated in the big sister program. I thoroughly enjoyed that and felt I gained just as much as I gave. I still keep in touch with two of the three girls I mentored. One is in college now: she frequently calls or stops by the house. My son adores her. She truly has become part of our extended family. The other in the navy and we keep in contact through emails or an occassional phone call. The third broke my heart. She had no interest in the program and merely went through the motions her grandfather demanded. Despite all my efforts we never connected. She asked for another big sister but eventually quit the program and ultimately ran away from her home.

Once my cancer returned I cut way back on volunteering, but we still raise funds and help with R.O.C.K. camp sponsored by the American cancer society for kids with cancer. It's amazing. One week a summer both my husband I volunteer. we actually guide family overnight canoe trips And teach windsurfing. And this spring ill probably resume volunteering to coach my sons soccer team (it still technically qualifies as volunteering, right?).

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

I volunteer at a library and a charity thrift shop. I love it, but I have to keep the hours manageable for me. I don't spend hours and hours like some admirable people, I get too tired and I need to have energy to do my own (house) work!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Good point, Nancybee! One of the things that always suffers with my volunteer work is our home. You're right, while it's good to volunteer, its important to not do so at the expense of your health, your family's needs or your sanity. Something I have to remind myself of all the time!

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 23:44

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

One of the benefits to retiring young was a conscience effort to do volunteer work.

DH volunteers as a pro bono attorney, as well as for the ACLU, and taught writing to high school kids (our kids were in preK at the time).

We have both done volunteer work in historic preservation, local as well as national political campaigns, and post-disaster relief stuff. We did some volunteering while travelling and remain involved in fundraising for Cambodian schools.

I was a candy striper in high school when I thought I wanted to go into medicine (forgot all about it to Joanie mentioned it)!

Together, we have way-over-volunteered for school-related stuff. We always held board positions, volunteered in classroom, and each ran some sort of committee (eg golf outing, spiritwear). We also established a grant program.

We have cut back on the school volunteerism this year. One, this year we have three kids in three private schools. That is crazy enough. Two, none of these schools or kids really need anything. It isn't really volunteerism, it is part of parenting. The only thing we are still on is an educational foundation that supports public schools --- which our kids are not even a part of.

I, too, am thinking about what I'd like to do. I have a friend who delivers meals for Meals on Wheels and I thought about that, but I am afraid if I even ask him exploratory questions about it, he will latch on to me, KWIM?

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Gosh, forgot about the historical society and art docent when the kids were in school. I visited people who were native to the area and record their stories, which were then published by the local newspaper. They loved being able to share their life history. Similar to our veterans. The veterans are my favorite to visit with the Therapy Dog program, hearing their wonderful pieces of history. And the dog isn't the center of attention, he just gets me in to visit easier.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

When I retired from a 20+ rewarding career to raise my youngest two children, I was a lost soul. Most of my friends were actually work "friends", all my female friends lived far away and I had previously been the kind of working mom at school who would roll my eyes (discreetly, of course) at PTO meetings, tap my feet impatiently and wonder when we could just write a check and leave. Well.. flash forward 10 years and I can honestly say that volunteering saved me! First at our coop preschool, then all kinds of positions at the elementary school, plus lots of volunteer work at our local arts center. I have also started and run a parent support group for parents of challenging children, worked on political campaigns, and helped with charities my husband and I support. I have met the most wonderful people by being a volunteer, and use some of the skills I used in my financial services career - lots and lots of fundraising, treasurer of the PTO, etc. I have really enjoyed working on organizational improvements with all the non-profits I have been involved in. I do miss the intellectual stimulation of work, and getting raises and bonuses! - but being a volunteer lets me meet lots of really interesting people, stay close to my kids, and have the flexibility to pick and choose what I would like to do and how I can been most helpful.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

"who would roll my eyes (discreetly, of course) at PTO meetings, tap my feet impatiently and wonder when we could just write a check and leave"

MarinaGal, were we separated at birth? Problem, is, I am still that way. I was steeped in a fast paced culture for so long in my career, that I find it hard to reintegrate back into civilization.

The other thing I find myself thinking, is how darn hard it is to actually create money for charity by selling things and doing things. I would have a lot more value to charities if I went back to work and wrote bigger checks...

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

For many years I volunteered a great deal - perhaps too much - school activities, choir leader, church council, several committees at church, pianist at nursing homes, school board, on the board for a camp, on the board for a philanthropic type group, and more. And I got burnt out. Pulled in too many directions. I gradually withdrew from many of them. I'm still on the board for the philanthropic type group and a church committee. The thing I miss the most is playing piano at the nursing home. I may go back to that. It was once a month at one town and once every other month at another. But then they'd ask me to play for parties. One time they told me to show up a one time but it actually started an hour later. Or my standard schedule was to play on the 4th Monday but when I read their newsletter they had me down for a different Monday. I was too tightly scheduled between work and other activities that I couldn't take it anymore and lost patience. It was time to step aside for awhile and regroup.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Mtn..."The other thing I find myself thinking, is how darn hard it is to actually create money for charity by selling things and doing things. I would have a lot more value to charities if I went back to work and wrote bigger checks"...

We used to tell our waaay too altruistic son this all the time...become a millionaire..then you can really help out....lol. We used to have visions of him sleeping on a bale of hay in someone's barn because he'd given everything he owned away. After college he was all set to take a job at a non-profit in Boston that paid $12,000 a year...we tried to tell him that was not nearly enough to livin on, especially for Boston. Fortunately over the summer he was offered another position at a little more than double...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Thank goodness, though, there are people like you son!

He also has developed something I highly recommend to everyone, and have yet to create for myself --- an ability to enjoy life without materialism.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

mtnrdredux, I'm sure every area is different, but I did Meals on Wheels for awhile, and I encourage you to check into thoroughly. From the posts of yours I've read, I don't think I really need to tell you that though.

The section of town I was assigned to was low income. The low income housing apartments were actually the best of the lot. There were only a few houses where the people came to the door to get their food. Most were in such bad shape that they couldn't get out of their chair or bed. Dark, dirty houses for the most part, but most of the people were very happy to see me and grateful that I brought the food over to them. And most had dogs that sounded like they were going to eat me. My mil actually got bitten by a dog while delivering MoW. I quit when I found out that a sex offender lived in one of the houses I delivered to and no one at MoW told me. I heard it from someone else. I was in that house ALONE with the man several times and sometimes my dd went with me. I was furious about that, and tired of walking through the mud and dodging jumping dogs to deliver.

• kimberlyrkb
    10 years ago

I have done a number of different things. I worked on a Habitat for Humanity house, served food in a soup kitchen, sorted materials at a recycling center, planted trees for a conservation club, picked up trash on the road, pulled trash from a river during city wide cleanups, helped clean and paint an elderly woman's kitchen thru church, taught reading to adults thru community ed, tutored an ESL student, and I currently operate a pet food pantry where we feed hundreds of pets each month. The great thing about volunteering is it can be as short or long-term as you like. And as everyone's experiences show, there is such a huge variety of things one can do.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I volunteer with a local women's group political organization. If you are into Politics, you might want to do that. I feel I know more about candidates and issues. I've done phone banks and helped organize fundraisers. DH and I have both been precinct officers at various times.

There are also non-partisan groups like League of Women voters. I think they are the ones who organize the driving of people to the polls. DH and I have done this, and it really was a lot of fun to meet the people, mostly senior citizens, who were very grateful for the ride.

I am an officer on a community coalition to help improve access to healthy foods (community gardens, school gardens, farmers markets, etc), active community environments (improving walkability and bikeability), and tobacco cessation/smoke free communities. We are mostly professionals from different disciplines, and we have some community volunteers and retirees, but we can always use more to help build capacity. So, maybe look if there is such a coalition in your area if you are passionate about these issues.

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

DH and I have always volunteered in many ways:
    He: coaching softball, soccer, teaching religious ed (to this day)
    Me: Girl scout leader, room mother, Junior Great Books leader/mentor, on the boards of PTO's, organizing community events, teaching religious ed, room mother, etc.
    Then my volunteer time went to dog rescue groups (while tending to aging parents at home/hospice/ assisted living).

Now we choose our volunteer time, more out of interest:
    DH and I: church related food contributions
    DH (now working PT from home-consulting): still teaching religious ed to middle school students (the group with the least-understanbly- volunteers). DH is also an Extraordinary Minister at our church and a Visitation Minister-bringing Communion to those in nursing homes. He also goes to our local VA Hospital to wheel veterans to mass and back.

Me: Working full-time, selecting my volunteering efforts (more selectively due to time constraints) through my employer/school (in the form of community service projects for my students), Habitat for Humanity-build projects, or though my love of dog resuce groups. We recently adopted a dog (one of many...) and I hope to take training to allow me to take her to nursing homes to visit people.

Just today I got an email that my DH gave a donation in my name to the relief fund to help with the efforts after the devastation of Typhoon Hayian.

We feel grateful for our many blessings and feel strongly about our ability to give back. Volunteering has granted us the opportunity to meet many people, whose paths we may not have crossed otherwise.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Very little unfortunately - I just don't have the time or energy after working at a demanding job and trying to take care of my health and manage my personal life. I hope to live long enough to retire and do my civic duty at that time. I do participate in some online peer support programs for cancer patients and amputees. I did do some tutoring for homeless kids living at a temporary residence but haven't done that in a while. My travel schedule interfered too often for me to meet the regular commitment so I suggested DH do it for me - he wasn't working at the time. He is still doing it.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Mtn - haha, yes the "reintegration" is hard! I read in the other thread about life and career paths that you were investment banking. I was in the Boston cousin, private equity. I do miss it. And I agree that like you, if I were working I could do more for charity. However, my husband is in private equity as well and one of us needed to stay home so take care of the kids and it made sense for it to be me. Sometimes I regress and get frustrated that people can't understand that cash flow is important even in a PTO but I try to say it with a smile! And yes, it is maddening how hard it is to raise actual new money....

• golddust
    10 years ago

For three decades I was a professional volunteer. I served on three school boards and on the board of our local Adoption Agency. I volunteered as Area Co-ordinator for Special Olympics. I was on the founding Board of The Neighborhood Center of the Arts. I was on the Founding Board of two Charter schools.

Three girlfriends formed a group we call 'Mission Possible'. Sadly one has passed from cancer but two of us are still committed. We raised $15,000 for Red Cross after 9/11. Later we raised money and purchased a replacement truck for a local shooting victim, whose truck was riddled with bullets during the ordeal where my girlfriend's daughter was killed. Whenever there is a local tragedy, we have agreed to come together to raise money.

I'm still President of a Non-Profit whose goal is to educate school boards about new age religions via academic slide shows and talks. I still help families get out of cults and help them settle into schools, provide information and consult with Lawyers who are representing a child in court when they need information.

But my volunteer days are largely in the past. I've done my share!

• polly929
    10 years ago

Natesgram, I've worked in a NICU for 15 years and I can't tell you how much we appreciate those fleece blankets for our babies. We also have local volunteers who make isolette covers to keep the environment dark for our babies because it is developmentally appropriate (they shouldn't be born yet). Have you ever seen one? And when my late grandmother was getting chemo for pancreatic cancer, she was really appreciative of the person who made her a cozy fleece for when she got her weekly chemo infusions. I just want to send a big thank you to you for your work, because I know how much such those small things mean from the other side of the fence.

Yes, I volunteer. I have volunteered in the medical tent for the NYC marathon for several years. This was before children. After 911 I volunteered making sandwiches for the rescue workers at ground zero. Before I started my career as a PA I volunteered at my local hospital transporting specimens to the lab and escorting patients out of the hospital.
    Currently I volunteer as a girl scout leader for my 9 year old's girl scout troop. I was never a girl scout as a child, so I am learning as I go. Even though I rolled my eyes when I was asked, I truly enjoy the girls and having a positive influence on them. We are currently involved in a project in building butterfly gardens in our community to restore monarch butterfly habitats. It is so much fun seeing these girls get involved.

My mom is getting ready for retirement, she has been volunteering at our local animal shelter. I think she has always been involved in some sort of volunteer project for as long as I can remember. I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree. :)