Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

**A Thanksgiving GTKY**

lynninnewmexico
9 years ago

OK, Oakley is still not keeping up her end of the GTKY's (LOL!) , so here's another one from me. Come on Oakley, you always think up such great ones!

1) Favorite of all Thanksgiving foods?

2) Do you watch one of the Thanksgiving Day parades on tv?

3) Do you have a special T-Day breakfast or is it every man for him/her self? If yes, what is it???

4) Hosting or being hosted this year?

5) Dine in or out?

7) Do you dress up for T Day or take the more casual approach?

8) What's your usual post-dinner activity (football game? walk? nap? chat with company? play a game?)

9) Favorite Day After T-Day meal?

10) What do you do for the rest of T-Day Weekend? Put up Christmas decs? Vegg out?

11) Do you consider Thanksgiving the start of the Christmas Season?

12) Do you start watching Christmas movies over the T Day weekend? If so, what is the first you usually watch?

It will be interesting to hear how everyone spends their upcoming holiday weekend. Canadian, and other GWers, please feel free to chime in regarding your own holiday, if you choose.
Lynn

Mine:
Our Oyster stuffing. Ahhh!

Absolutely! The Macy's T Day Parade without fail all my life.

3) Do you have a special T-Day breakfast or is it every man for him/her self? If yes, what is it???
I always make a sit-down , special breakfast for us, but it varies from year to year, Probably Salishan's Cinnamon Oatmeal Apple Pancakes, turkey sausages and some fresh fruit (with coffee and juice) this year.

Hosted. Our best friends do Thanksgiving and we do Christmas

5) Dine in or out?
In, at our friends' home

Dressy casual for us

8) What's your usual post-dinner activity (football game? walk? nap? chat with company? play a game?)
The football game is on while we visit

It's my very favorite meal of the year, so rewarmed turkey, stuffing, and the works! Why mess with perfection?

10) What do you do for the rest of T-Day Weekend? Put up Christmas decs? Vegg out?
We used to put up our decs but lately we 're vegging out and spending quality time with our DD, who will be home from college until Sunday afternoon.

Yes!

12) Do you start watching Christmas movies over the T Day weekend? If so, what is the first you usually watch?
Yes! "Miracle on 234th Street" . . . the newer version. Love it!!

Comments (28)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

1. I can't choose between carrot stuffing, pumpkin custard, or cranberry orange relish ...
    2. Macys. Or is it the Mummers? Wait, wrong holiday.
    3. Nope. Get yourself some cereal and an apple kids. Oh and a sandwich at noon, too. Why do so many people get up at 4am and start cooking for a meal at noon? Thanksgiving dinner is 6pm, like any other dinner.
    4. Hosting
    5 In
    6. Mystery question. Where is#6 Lynne?
    7. Dress nicely, as for any holiday meal. You should live up to your china. : )
    8. Lame games, eg bingo, pictionary, taboo, apples to apples, balderdash, segueing into lowstakes poker when the kids are down
    9. A furtive forkful of cold pumpkin pie, standing at the fridge, as a pre breakfast amuse bouche. For lunch, Sliced turkey and gravy over non-artisanal squishy white bread.
    10. In prior years, at the lake, it was the start of ski season. This year who knows?
    11 No. Hate Black Friday, never went shopping then, ever. I like a breather between my holidays.
    12. No. We had no Tv or Internet or movies at the lake, on purpose. We now have a TV at the beach house, so that might be a nice tradition to start!

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Definitely the dressing. I make a simple one from scratch using breadcrumbs & giblet juices. I also LOVELOVELOVE baked yams drizzled with a touch of butter.

No. Never have actually!

Our TG is one where our guests come over after noon (we eat usually around 3pm) so breakfast is just whatever you grab. Try to keep it light throughout the day until the grand meal.

This year I'm hosting my mom & her husband, DH and my good friend. Not sure if our kids will pop in or not-they're doing the in-law thing.

5) Dine in or out?
    In. Never dine out on TG. Horrible story tho-one year we had to do a craft show the very next day so I had no time to make the meal, so I pre-ordered it and heated it up on TG day. My family will not let me forget that and they still talk about how horrible their TG dinner was that year to this day. It was not bad-just wasn't home made!

Dressy casual, but I'd prefer everyone were to dress up like we did when I was a kid.

8) What's your usual post-dinner activity (football game? walk? nap? chat with company? play a game?) Chatting with guests, playing games-the kids usually bring over a WII or Rock Band or something like that. This year will probably be very quiet.

Turkey & dressing sandwiches smothered with gravy & cranberry sauce.

I usually work the next day. My office is quiet and I can get a lot done. Over the weekend I put away all the clean serving dishes & linens and start getting down the Christmas decor out of the attic.

No-it is it's own holiday. I don't start Christmas season until December 1.

No-but when I do start watching them I usually watch A Christmas Story as that was always the one the kids would watch with my Dad. I also love Elf, and of course, It's a Wonderful Life.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Pumpkin roll I guess.

No

3) Do you have a special T-Day breakfast or is it every man for him/her self?
    It's every man for himself; I eat my normal breakfast and lunch.

Hosting my family. My husband goes to his family. We don't combine them because there are too many differences: they eat at 1, we eat at 6; they have to eat the same exact food every year, we change the menu yearly; we laugh and have fun, they talk about gloomy, depressing things.

5) Dine in or out?
    In. My FIL, who never met a buffet meal he didn't love, is always pushing for them to go out because "it's too much work." He doesn't lift a finger to help. They've compromised and now they order the complete meal from a restaurant. My husband says "it's okay."

Casual dressy. I won best dressed last year. One year I was the stylist to the best dressed male and his runner up (I bought the sweaters my husband and nephew were wearing).

Most of our activities are pre-dinner since we eat at 6 pm. We take walks, play Apple to Apples, hang out and laugh together. After dinner it's time to fill in the comment form, award prizes, clean up, pack up left overs, and people start heading home.

Left over dessert.

Mostly nothing. I do put the white candles in the window for Xmas dec, throw a wreath on a door, hang the stockings without any care. The years I put up a tree, I'd do it over that weekend.

I suppose so since I put the candles out. I like having the extra, cheery light in the winter. I live next to The Christmas City so it is a rather dominate theme in my part of the world. I'm not a big Xmas decor person but it is all around me starting that weekend. Actually, the city starts putting out the 550 lightpost trees in October so that they'll have the job done by the tree-lighting ceremony on Black Friday.

We watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles for thanksgiving. The Xmas themed movies I like are National Lampoon Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story. I'll be sure to watch those once during the month.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Honestly, my TG has barely changed in my entire 6? years of life. Mom the Matriarch dominates. Not me, my mother. We are all under her thumb.

1) Favorite of all Thanksgiving foods? *Pumpkin Pie

2) Do you watch one of the Thanksgiving Day parades on tv? *Catch a bit of the Philadelphia parade, and some from NYC

3) Do you have a special T-Day breakfast or is it every man for him/her self? If yes, what is it??? *Seriously?? No, I have my usual bowl of cereal.

4) Hosting or being hosted this year? *Hosted, same as always.

5) Dine in or out? *In, as not in a restaurant. Out, as in not my house.

7) Do you dress up for T Day or take the more casual approach? *My better casual clothes. No t-shirts allowed!

8) What's your usual post-dinner activity (football game? walk? nap? chat with company? play a game?) *Dishes.

9) Favorite Day After T-Day meal? *Turkey sandwich -- white bread with mayo!

10) What do you do for the rest of T-Day Weekend? Put up Christmas decs? Vegg out? * Hang out with visiting family or veg out. Definitely get some exercise.

11) Do you consider Thanksgiving the start of the Christmas Season? *Yes.

12) Do you start watching Christmas movies over the T Day weekend? If so, what is the first you usually watch? *No.

• kkay_md
    9 years ago

Stuffing, of any kind.

No; my husband will have it on and call me to look, but I'm usually knee-deep in preparations.

3) Do you have a special T-Day breakfast or is it every man for him/her self?
    Always a special breakfast, but it varies according to my mood. Sometimes I make sweet rolls or a breakfast "casserole." Sometimes French toast or crepes.

Hosting.

5) Dine in or out?
    When we first moved to the DC area, far from family members in both Michigan and California, we had several Thanksgivings in Colonial Williamsburg. But I find it much cheerier to have the celebration at home.

Casual dressy.

We usually have neighbors over for dessert, take a walk in the neighborhood, have a fire in the fireplace, and play silly games.

All the leftovers, but eventually Turkey Tetrazzini.

Nothing Christmas until Christmas week; we often try to take a day trip to hike or go to an art exhibit. This year, maybe a movie, too.

No. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday--gathering with family, no particular decorations, no gifts to worry about, just enjoying one another's company. I like to make it last the entire weekend, inviolate.

Never. Christmas is my least-favorite holiday, fraught with expectations. But when I do relent, well into December, we love to watch "Rudolph and the Island of Misfit Toys."

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Dressing. I've tried cornbread, oyster, wild rice. Nope, everyone (including me) wants my mom's dressing made with Pepperidge Farms bread crumbs, sausage and turkey giblets. One year I added apples and thought I was going to be stoned to death.

Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

No, I make everyone starve. That way, my food is appreciated a little bit more.

Hosting. Every. Single. Year.

5) Dine in or out? In.

I can't even fathom going out.

Well, I'm not wearing yoga pants or PJs, so dressy? Oh, but I am bare footed, so casual dressy?

A rousing game of croquet!

The hole shooting match all over again!

DH puts up the outside lights and I bribe DS and his girlfriend into decorating the tree.

No, Halloween is the start of Christmas season!

No, but somehow we always end up watching "Jaws." For some reason it's on all the time during this time of year and DH has a "Jaws" radar.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

1) Favorite of all Thanksgiving foods? Dressing. Close second is broccoli casserole.

2) Do you watch one of the Thanksgiving Day parades on tv? I may have it on the kitchen tv while I am working.

3) Do you have a special T-Day breakfast or is it every man for him/her self? If yes, what is it??? We eat very little that morning.

4) Hosting or being hosted this year? Hosting

5) Dine in or out? In - never out

7) Do you dress up for T Day or take the more casual approach? Casual but not too casual

8) What's your usual post-dinner activity (football game? walk? nap? chat with company? play a game?) Visiting with family and friends, usually move to outside as weather is usually still nice here.

9) Favorite Day After T-Day meal? leftovers

10) What do you do for the rest of T-Day Weekend? Put up Christmas decs? Vegg out? Many times we go away for the rest of the weekend to a state park a couple of hours away that has a great lodge. Or a couple of years ago we camped, starting Thanksgiving night! If home, I do like to do my Christmas decorations.

11) Do you consider Thanksgiving the start of the Christmas Season? It is the start of the holiday season. We keep them separate.

12) Do you start watching Christmas movies over the T Day weekend? If so, what is the first you usually watch? No.

tina

This post was edited by tinam61 on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 9:55

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

1) Mashed potatoes and anything with butternut squash;

2) No, never watch parades on TV;

3) No, just the usual breakfast;

4) Being hosted this year. Going to Provincetown, appropriately enough, as that is where the Pilgrims first landed;

5) I've only dined out once for Thanksgiving. Didn't care for it. Much prefer in;

6) Casual, which IS dress up for me since the rest of the year everything I do is messy work so requires junk clothes;

7) Football is before dinner. After dinner, chatting;

8) I love leftover stuffing;

9) after Thanksgiving comes serious get-ready-for-winter work: leaf cleanup, bring deck furniture in; winterize the outdoor shower; winterize the house…;

10) I do not consider Thanksgiving to be the beginning of the Christmas season, and in fact don't like seeing any signs of Christmas until @ Dec. 10. IMO, we're so saturated with Christmas stuff by the time the day actually rolls around that so much of the beauty of Christmas - the lights, music, smells, food…is watered down so the day no lingers feels special;

11) Christmas movies…no; see ans. # 10.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Pumpkin pie! I don't know why I don't make it more often (ANY other time)!

Too busy, sometimes I catch portions but we've always had TV in separate room not visible from kitchen in our houses. This year I'm preparing the meal at my parents' house due to my dad's knee surgery and they have new big-screen TV and open floor plan so I'll get to watch.

Cold cereal, same as Xmas Eve - too busy making the main meal to fuss with breakfast.

I usually make the sides (except for mashed potatoes), my parents do the turkey and mashed potatoes and we eat at their house (10 miles from us). This yeat b/c of my dad's knee DD and I will go there to prepare the turkey, potatoes (mashed and sweet), and stuffing. I'll do the pies the day (or 2 days, I have to see when I can squeeze them in with BSA wreath order pack and soup kitchen turkey dinner prep) before, and cranberry chutney the weekend before (Mom likes the jellied stuff from a can but we like homemade, this year I added dried cranberries to Hab Gold jelly and it didn't look nice so I added more vinegar and canned it in pints, will add fresh cranberries and more onion, peppers to make a chutney).

5) Dine in or out?

At my parents' - does that count as out? Or in b/c I'm making the meal (my dad usually does the turkey and potatoes, we don't trust Mom since she left the plastic bag of giblets in 1 year, and I prefer to peel my potatoes with a veggie peeler b/c she takes too much potato off with a paring knife so I'll peel those this year. Dad usually mashes but sometimes DH does, this year DH will mash since Dad won't be able to stand but will be yelling instructions from his recliner or the guest bedroom LOL!)?

Casual - and this year my dad will be in sweat pants instead of jeans so maybe we'll all wear sweats to keep him company LOL!

The kids open birthday presents (I usually bring a cake but this year DD asked for just candles in a pumpkin pie - yeah!!!), we chat, sometimes watch TV or a movie, my mom usually has something recorded for the kids.

Homemade turkey noodle soup! This year I have a hand-cranked pasta maker so may try homemade pasta like my dad used to make (I'm not into rolling pins). Anybody know if they can be cooked fresh right off the press (roller) or if they need to dry a few hours like he used to do?

DH will probably want to decorate the tree, but he and DS have to pick up wreathes and also have a shift at the BSA wreath sale booth so that will probably have to wait another weekend. DD and I might go to a movie, and I always have cleaning to do. I usually have Xmas shopping done by Halloween but I haven't even started (except for a few things for DS and some books for DD) so we *might* brave the crowds (not on Friday!) to do that after a movie.

Yes, as far as decorating, but I really try to get most shopping (and any travel plans) done before then b/c it's a madhouse!

HAVE to watch It's a Wonderful Life, whenever it's on. I really need to buy it on DVD! We own Charlie Brown (though I think DD is outgrowing it), The Polar Express, and some of the old Rankin-Bass musicals - which I haven't outgrown yet!

• fourkids4us
    9 years ago

Hard to pick just one b/c it's the combination of everything together that is enjoyable. But I guess I'd have to say stuffing since this is the only time of year I eat it.

Not usually. In the morning, I typically meet friends and run in a Turkey Trot 5 miler. Dh and the kids meet our neighbors at our community beach for our traditional "Turkey Bowl" football game. My boys start talking about the game in September - it's an obsession here. I meet them there after my run, and chat with whoever is not playing football. There are seasonal cocktails being shared. By the time the game is over and we head home to start preparing for the big meal, the parade is already over.

No, see above. We aren't really home for breakfast so everyone just grabs a quick snack.

You know, I really have no idea. We either go to my parents' house or they come here. If my sister's family comes from OOT, then we definitely go to my parents' house b/c they stay at my parents' and it's just easier. If my brother and his family come, we also usually go to my parents' b/c they are centrally located b/w my brother and me. And I can't even believe that it's only two weeks away and I haven't even discussed this yet with my mom!

5) Dine in or out?

Absolutely IN! I've probably had 4 Thanksgiving meals in restaurants and they were horrible, mainly because the food just wasn't great, nor the atmosphere. Well, one year we were at the St. Francis Yacht Club in San Francisco and they did have an amazing spread, but I was suffering from morning (all day) sickness, dh's father was in the hospital very ill, so dh's uncle hosted dh's entire family at the Yacht Club. I'm sure the food was delicious, but I wasn't hungry and under the circumstances of our visit and with FIL missing, it is not a good memory.

I wouldn't call it dressing up, but we don't wear jeans.

All of the above! We also finish the day off by going to my neighbor's house where we have potluck dessert. Whoever is in town heads to my neighbor's house, we all bring 1-2 desserts, there is some sampling, and sometimes voting, on the best dessert.

Like mtnrd, I often nibble on leftover pumpkin pie! I like cold turkey (cannot stand reheated turkey) with hot gravy, mashed potatoes and stuffing. Or sometimes, dinner roll sandwich with turkey, cranberry and stuffing.

Depends. Sometimes if family is in town, we'll do some sightseeing in Wash DC. Mostly we catch up on "to do" projects around the house b/c it's one of the few weekends none of my kids have sports and we are totally unscheduled!

Not for me personally, but I do realize it's the societal norm. I do not like to rush into Christmas. I don't put my decorations up until the second weekend in December. If there is an unseasonably warm day prior to that, I might do my outdoor decorations a little earlier. But like others have said, I like to keep my holidays totally separate.

No.

• amj0517
    9 years ago

I love the smell of the turkey in the oven, but I don't really like to eat it. Weird? I really like cranberries, but I'm the only person in my family who eats it.

No. Even as a kid I always thought parades were boring.

Nothing special. Cereal or oatmeal.

We haven't even talked about it yet. Lol.

5) Dine in or out?
    Always in.

Casual.

Football and chat.

Leftovers..... for several days.

We usually get a start on Christmas decorations.

Yes!

Yes. It's a Wonderful Life. Elf. A Christmas Story....

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Pumpkin pie and stuffing are tied for first place. Note: Is "dressing" vs. "stuffing" a geographical thing? We have never called it dressing. Of course I have heard the term used, but mostly in books or on TV!

Yes, at least it is on as background noise. My kids used to be glued to the parade, but now they aren't so into it. Might get my youngest to watch for a bit.

No special breakfast. Usually I am making whatever it is I'm bringing to dinner.

Being hosted by SIL.

5) Dine in or out?
    In. Well, I mean "in" SIL's house.

Somewhere in the middle. Some of the guests will be in flannel shirts and jeans. We might be wearing nicer sweaters with our nicer jeans.

Watching football on TV (guys plus my DD) and cleaning up (everyone else).

Turkey sandwich but not with cranberry sauce, grossss. We don't often get leftovers, though, since we don't host. Sad. Every year I say I'm going to make my own turkey the day after Thanksgiving just so I can have turkey sandwiches for a while, but I never do.
    Sometimes we are sent home with part of a pie, though, and I will have some of that for breakfast, of course.

No decorations. We don't have a tradition for the rest of the weekend. We have sometimes gone to our beach house, but we definitely won't do that this year because DS #2 will be home from college for the first time and will want to see his friends.

I guess maybe I consider the Sunday after Thanksgiving as the start. Sometimes I will make DH put up the outdoor lights then, depending on how late Thanksgiving is on a particular year. But I won't do real decorating until at least 1-2 weeks later.

No, I don't think I was aware that Christmas movies are being shown that weekend!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Fun!
    1) The cornbread dressing

2) Absolutely Macy's - have to see Snoopy!

3) Breakfast is whatever you want and you are responsible.

4) A total break for me this year - Son and DIL are hosting!

5) Edited to correct because I completed misinterpreted this one - In. We ate out only once at Ruth's Chris. That was because the kids were coming for traditional dinner on Friday (nurses in family worked on T'giving day that year), so DH and I decided to go out around 2 that afternoon. Couldn't stand not having a 'real' meal on THE day.

6) Did I miss a question?

7) We're pretty casual or dressy casual.

8) Post dinner is usually football, playing games or just enjoying each other's company. A couple of years at our house we've had a hayride which was great fun. Fifteen years ago this year, my DGD came home from the hospital on T'day, so we welcomed her (and my DD) home from the hospital by taking Thanksgiving dinner to their house and having dinner and dessert with them. They didn't get to come home until around 5 pm so it worked out well. DD was just glad to be home.

9) After T-day meal is turkey sandwiches believe it or not. I love leftover turkey in a sandwich with the leftover cranberry relish. I also love pecan pie.

10) The remainder of T-Day Weekend is never planned out much, but this year we'll be watching the 'Iron Bowl' - Alabama vs Auburn on Saturday. Then I'll clear out the fall decorations and start clearing things up for Christmas. May put out a few things depending on the weather and my mood.

11) I pretty much consider that weekend the start of the Christmas season but I don't rush into it either. I get to decorating when I get to it.

12) If we have time we watch 'A Christmas Story'. Oldest DS will always watch 'Christmas Vacation'. When he was a teen he and his friend recited that movie.

This post was edited by outsideplaying on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 13:58

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Favorite food----DB's Sally Lunn bread and pumpkin cake.

Have never been into parades

Breakfast---I'll usually buy a coffee cake...but it's usually every man for himself...we all get up at different times--this year just me, DH, and DD. Will see married son later....other son will be out of the country this year.

Hosted----my DB and SIL do Thanksgiving, we do Easter, and we all stay home and enjoy Christmas with our families--no jumping up from opening presents to have to get ready for company makes the day so much more relaxing.

Always dine at DB and SIL.

Casual dress always.

Football and chatting

Leftovers if we bring some home but it's usually just dinner as usual.

Don't put up Christmas tree, etc until around the 15th. Pretty much veg out....no shopping!

Guess I consider the day after Thanksgiving the official start of Christmas.

Christmas movies---if I happen to catch them and am in the mood---like the old ones best like "White Christmas" and "It's a Wonderful Life."

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Sweet potato pie; especially the mini marshmallow topping!

Yes! MACY's Parade on NBC. Usually 1/2 watching, 1/2 just listening after the first hour or so.

Depends. Usually just fend for ourselves (me, DH, and my visiting parents). There's a lot of pre-dinner eating at my cousin's in the afternoon!

We go to my cousin's home every year; my aunt does much of the cooking, though everybody brings extras and/or desserts (I always make the pecan pie and homemade whipped cream). With all of the extended family members, and in-laws, etc., the crowd numbers into the 40's!

5) Dine in or out?

In!

Varying degrees of casual; a lot of football fans in the group so some jerseys, sweats. Older folks in slacks or colored jeans, the rest in jeans usually.

We eat all afternoon, so dinner isn't served until 6-6:30? After dinner is clean-up, dessert, more clean-up, more football watching, chatting, and long, Jewish good-byes! LOL

We usually out for pizza with my parents.

Depends on the year. Last year we had to get our tree that Saturday, after my parents left, so we could get it set-up and decorated before the following weekend. I had foot surgery the week after Thanksgiving.

Sort of.

No, but I am sucker for all of the Lifetime and Family Channel "original" holiday movies, and the Hallmark Hall of Fame Christmas movies each year (and the card commercials!), and I do love the classics as well (It's a Wonderful Life!!!), so I look forward to watching all of them throughout the season.

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Brussels Sprouts in whatever form they are served each year.

Not in years.. though I'll put the Macy's parade on in the background.

Coffee..

Hosted by Sis

5) Dine in or out?
    In

I copy SueB & Co! dressier jeans, dressier sweater.. and of course, it's an excuse to buy a new pair of boots!

I used to take the nieces and nephews for a walk to burn off energy but now that they are older, it's more about learning how school/sports, college and new jobs are going.. and gleaning Christmas gift ideas.

White meat turkey on a good jewish rye
    or Turkey Corn Soup. We grill our turkey so it has a great smoked flavor.

final fall yard maintenance.. scoping out christmas gift ideas

Not really.. I kickoff my shopping a few weeks earlier and decorate a few weeks later.

I almost always watch Home for the Holidays with Holly Hunter and Robert Downey Jr.. and also love to catch some of my favorite wintery seasonal movies.. like Bell, Book and Candle, Christmas in Connecticut and Holiday Affair.

I wait until the week of for the classic Christmas movies

This post was edited by funkyart on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 17:16

• violetwest
    9 years ago

had to look up "GTKY" (I was thinking . . . Go To Kentucky?)

I watch parades and football. I don't normally follow football , but the sound of it in the background reminds me of home and my father growing up.

I dine out, by preference -- way out. Casual dressy if I'm going to someone's home.

Favorite food is turkey+stuffing+mashed potatoes+gravy. Hate pumpkin pie.

no special activities before or after.

• funkyart
    9 years ago

(I hate pumpkin pie too.. love pumpkin bread, muffins and ice cream.. but no pumpkin pie for me, thanks!)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

SueB - Stuffing is stuffed in the turkey. The same ingredients cooked in a casserole is dressing. I call it all stuffing.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

1. We have different things every year so no "favorite".

2. No parades. I used to like them but stopped watching when they started showing more acts than floats and marching bands.

3. Breakfast is the same as any other day.

4. Hosted. We alternate years with friends. The non-hosts bring dessert.

5. In.

7. Casual.

8. Talking. We sometimes play games.

9. Years when we host, leftovers of whatever we had for T'day.

10. Typically go to a large antique show/sale on Saturday. Otherwise it's just like any other weekend. NO Christmas decorating or shopping.

11. No. I don't even really think about Christmas until mid-December.

12. No. See #11

• User
    9 years ago

1) Ocean Spray whole cranberry sauce, cold, straight from the can (I am a gourmet, as you can see).

2) No tv, no parades. We used to go to the Macys parade in NYC when we lived in Manhattan, and we go to our local town parade and wave at our friends.

3) occasionally it's country ham biscuits and red eye gravy, but usually it's catch as catch can

4) Hosting

5) If we are home we dine in

7) We dress up!

8) No tv in our home, so we take walks. make Christmas crafts if kids are here, read plays aloud, and have our Thanksgiving family tennis round robin

9) Turkey paninis with turkey, a tiny bit of gravy, and cranberry relish!

10) Plan for upcoming Christmas parties! Veg out, play with dogs, have long talks with dS2 home from college! watch harry potter movie marathons

11) Advent is the start of the Christmas season

12) We start before, during decorating week

• User
    9 years ago

1) Stuffing

2) No

3) Nothing special for breakfast.

4) Hosting

5) Always in

7) I dress up more than my norm, but it would still be considered more casual.

8) Visit with company and football is usually in the background at some point in the day.

9) ALL the leftovers.

10) Christmas decorations

11) Yes. It seems shorter and shorter the older I get.

12) Yes, the day after they're on all day while I'm decorating. I usually start with Home Alone or Rudolph. All my shopping is done except for one person and I was seriously considering wrapping everything, but I'd want to watch Christmas movies or listen to Christmas music while doing it and it's just a little too early for me yet.

• cozyfarmhouse
    9 years ago

1) Favorite of all Thanksgiving foods? My favorite is a non-traditional dish - Cottage Cheese Loaf - I'm from a vegetarian family and it's our turkey stand-in. I only make it for Thanksgiving to keep it special. Leftovers make yummy sandwiches too.

2) Do you watch one of the Thanksgiving Day parades on tv? No. I can't remember ever watching a parade on Thanksgiving.

3) Do you have a special T-Day breakfast or is it every man for him/her self? If yes, what is it??? No set breakfast menu, but we do eat together.

4) Hosting or being hosted this year? I always do the planning/cooking even if we travel. This year we're staying home so it will just be me, DH and the kids. Not sure that counts as Hosting...

5) Dine in or out? In

7) Do you dress up for T Day or take the more casual approach? We usually dress up a bit.

8) What's your usual post-dinner activity (football game? walk? nap? chat with company? play a game?) Visiting if extended family is involved, no football, sometimes a walk if it's not too cold and windy.

9) Favorite Day After T-Day meal? Leftover pie, cottage cheese loaf sandwiches

10) What do you do for the rest of T-Day Weekend? Put up Christmas decs? Vegg out? We just like to hang out and relax. We try to avoid the Black Friday craziness, so no shopping.

11) Do you consider Thanksgiving the start of the Christmas Season? No. Thanksgiving is a much bigger deal at our house then Christmas. We even do our gift exchanges on Thanksgiving. Christmas is really low key, just a simple meal on Christmas Day. I do a little winter decorating but the only real Christmas décor is the Nativity that comes out Christmas week. Easy Peasy.

Nope

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Dressing

Yes, Macy's

Everyone does their own thing-cereal, yogurt, etc.

Being hosted by my parents at a restaurant.

5) Dine in or out?
    Dining out, but I much prefer dining at home.

Dressy casual

Walk, football, DH and sons leave for deer hunting

All the leftovers

Relax, visit with family, eat Mexican food

No

12) Do you start watching Christmas movies over the T Day weekend? If so, what is
    No

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Pie, either dutch apple or pumpkin

I used to watch Macy's but it is so full of product placement now, it is pretty much un-watchable.

Everyone for him/herself. I am usually up early, and then DH gets up later.

Hosting. It's just us and MIL.

5) Dine in or out?
    Went out with my extended family once after my father passed away and my mother didn't want to cook without him. We didn't really enjoy it either because there were no leftovers. After that my mother still didn't host and had one of my siblings host.

We are so busy cooking and prepping, we barely have time to shower and get dressed.

We like to take a walk since the weather is usually good.

Reheated plates of food.

I used to do Black Friday shopping, but I refuse to go out on TG day since it keeps getting earlier and earlier, and I want the workers to enjoy their day. Last year I shopped online.

YES.

No.

• peegee
    9 years ago

1) Favorite of all Thanksgiving foods? Stuffing/dressing

2) Do you watch one of the Thanksgiving Day parades on tv? No, never

3) Do you have a special T-Day breakfast or is it every man for him/her self? If yes, what is it??? Everyman...

4) Hosting or being hosted this year? Being hosted

5) Dine in or out? In at DD's

7) Do you dress up for T Day or take the more casual approach? Dressy-casual

Dishes, then relaxing, and after a light bite to eat (T-day dinner is mid-afternoon) we often get started helping each other begin to get our tree's decorated

9) Favorite Day After T-Day meal? Leftovers

10) What do you do for the rest of T-Day Weekend? Put up Christmas decs? Vegg out? Christmas decs AND vegging. NEVER shopping

11) Do you consider Thanksgiving the start of the Christmas Season? YES, but again, not for shopping.
    Some years all completed before T-day; others years = no shopping at all.

Sometimes, but no special planning. Christmas story first and often multiple times during the season, along with It's a Wonderful Life. Sometimes later in the season all the rest including White Christmas, the orig. Miracle on 34th st., Christmas in CT, etc.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

FUN

1) Favorite of all Thanksgiving foods? Stuffing

2) Do you watch one of the Thanksgiving Day parades on tv? Not really a priority.

3) Do you have a special T-Day breakfast or is it every man for him/her self? Coffee and more coffee

4) Hosting or being hosted this year? Hosting EVERY year. It is my favorite holiday

5) Dine in or out? In

7) Do you dress up for T Day or take the more casual approach? Somewhat dressy......guess it is business casual-ish. Dress in something fun and cute.

We live in Kansas City. Thanksgiving is when they turn on the lights in the Country Club Plaza. We go to watch them flip the switch (with 20,000 others)

OMG.....Pie and Coffee for Breakfast!!!!!! Best breakfast of the year HANDS DOWN!!

10) What do you do for the rest of T-Day Weekend? Put up Christmas decs? Vegg out? Some shopping and clean up.

11) Do you consider Thanksgiving the start of the Christmas Season? Yes

12) Do you start watching Christmas movies over the T Day weekend? If so, what is the first you usually watch? Not unless one happens to be on TV.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Julie, that's beautiful! What a festive way to start off the holiday season!
    Santa Fe is also incredibly beautiful then. DD will be home from college for Thanksgiving and we like to have dinner there (at Tomasitas) and then walk and/or drive around the Plaza and down Canyon Road to see the trees lit up with tiny white lights and luminarias (farolitos) lining walkways and walls everywhere.
    Lynn