Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl2

Looking for Some New Hors D'Oeuvres

kswl2
9 years ago

We are hosting a post concert buffet supper after our local choral society's Christmas performance on December 4th, for about 30 people. It will start about 9:30pm and I am sure everyone will be gone by 11 as it is on a Thursday night, and about ten of our guests live more than an hour away. I am having most of the food catered, but my mother and I will make a few things as well, and the caterer will make anything I ask. She (caterer) makes a fantastic cheese "ball" that is actually in the shape of a large pinecone and is covered with spiced, toasted pecans and has "boughs" of long rosemary sprays at the top. It is great both for the visual impact and it is delicious, so that is a given as several people have already asked me if we are having it.

Other probables:
Small rolls with sliced tenderloin of beef and horseradish cream
Small rolls with sliced smoked ham and curry mustard
(We may do the above so people can assemble these themselves)
Baked Brie with fig paste
Cheese straws
Hot spinach and artichoke dip with crostini
Dates wrapped in bacon and crisped under broiler (non negotiable, DH loves these)
Small pick up desserts (lemon bars, pecan bars, salted caramel brownies)
Orange cheesecake (?) or 12 layer chocolate cake?
Strawberries dipped in chocolate (or slices of mandarin orange dipped in chocolate? Too much trouble even for the caterer?)
Assortment of truffles

Drinks
Champagne cocktail (champagne, pomegranate juice, squeeze of lime and a frozen cranberry
A non alcoholic version of the above made with martinellis sparkling white apple juice
Wines, red and white (probably a Viognier and a Cabernet, we have plenty of both in the wine cellar)
Hot wassail, with or without a slug of spiced rum and a cinnamon stick
Water, soda, coffee

Any suggestions, additions, substitutions? I thought about offering Irish coffee as an alternative hot beverage but think we have enough alcohol. The bar will be set up in the library or kitchen, and food in the dining room on the table and sideboard. We may have auxiliary beverages set up downstairs and maybe a few snackies as well-----more artichoke dip and another Brie, perhaps, or just nuts and what else? Don't want to actually duplicate food down there. Ideas?

This post was edited by kswl on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 22:42

Comments (38)

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Sounds delicious.

Only suggestion might be a vegan offering such as hummus dip.

If you are having decaf coffee anyway, why not offer a "splash" of Bailey's for it?

And although not elegant, I would probably have diet coke available for those that may need to stay awake for the drive home and not want to drink something with alcohol.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Julieckmo, I did think the same thing about the Bailey's, lol! We probably won't make a pot of coffee but will have the single serve kureig set up in the kitchen with all sorts of holiday coffees. Maybe I will leave the Baileys out for a do it yourself drink--- good idea!

Thank you for remembering the vegan option. We will have homemade hummus with sweet red peppers on top and flatbread. I totally left that off the list!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Umm, wow, delicious.

It's all rich,though, so I might add in crudites. I like them blanched to just the right crispness, and it also brings out the color. They can really be quite spectacular arranged upright in a basket with herbs, especially if you can source baby veggies and lettuces. Sadly, supermarket versions have really done a disservice to what should be a visual highlight ,and can be delicious with homemade dressings. In the same vein I would do a citrus salad as a dessert option, or baked apples with greek yogurt.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's all def very heavy--- our out of town guests will not have eaten a proper meal before having to drive down in awful traffic to get to the start of the performance at 7:30 pm. I know that contingent will be starved! Well, v hungry anyway. Since people will be eating standing up or sitting down on sofas and chairs I don't think something salad-y would be very easy to eat unless they had a fork or just stood by the buffet table to eat. But you have given me a great idea! What do you think about a selection of cold ---or room temp---roasted baby veggies? I could do carrots, brussel sprouts and fingerling potatoes, roasted with a balsamic glaze and piled on a platter with a toothpick already in each one.

And I could have the strawberries without the chocolate. I don't know where the caterer gets strawberries but they are always TDF. They'd be good just as is.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I once made, for a friend who was going to some kind of gathering, angel food cake squares dipped in ganache. Just bake, or buy, an angel food cake, cut it into two-inch squares, melt good dark chocolate in a pan over boiling water, add some cream, mix it up, dip the squares in about 1/3 down the cake piece, and chill until the party. You can sprinkle broken up candy cane/peppermint pieces on top to make them Christmas-y as well. Simple, finger dessert, not too heavy or sweet, and my friend said they went like hotcakes.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Stuffed endive in a vegan way is light and very attractive.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

baked spiced chickpeas are delicious, healthy, filling. Different recipes for different spices. One is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 8:28

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Great menu, I may steal part of it for an upcoming party :)

I always like to have a few hot things coming out of the oven. One of my go to recipes is the Hot Mushroom Turnovers from the Junior League 'A Matter of Taste' cookbook. Cream cheese dough cut out in circles, then filled with wonderful mushroom/onion/thyme/sourcream mixture, folded and baked. (Can prep ahead and freeze). The sesame chicken with honey dip in this book is also a great make ahead recipe; fine at room temp.

Will the entire party be held in the basement?!

• localeater
    9 years ago

I think the roasted vegetables sound lovely, I was also concerned that many of the suggestions were heavy and cheesy. The 'special' cheese ball shaped as a pine bough sounds lovely however.
    I might make a lighter vegetable pinwheel as one of the sandwich options; start with various colored wraps, layer spinach, shredded carrots, sundried tomatoes, shredded jack cheese, etc. roll, secure with toothpicks and slice. I also love watermelon and prosciutto, rich from the prosciutto and light from the watermelon- topped with a fresh mint leaf or basil. Lots of presentation options(you can do an image search). I second bumblebeez vote for stuffed endive- I would do a tray with 1/2 bright red muhumarra and 1/2 a veggie enriched light cream cheese drizzled with a parsley pesto, it would be red and green and very seasonal!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for those options, local, I am also liking the stuffed endive Bumblebeez suggested! The thing about wraps is that if they contain cheese they can also be high calorie. But, I know the caterer makes great wraps and I can ask her to cut them in small bites so they are more appetizer-y than sandwichy.

Although it's a great combination, I'm also just tired of the watermelon and prosciutto canapés. It's also difficult to get decent melon at this time of year in our little hamlet :-)

I loooove chickpeas, Tibb, but am not sure what we would use them as a filling in, and if we have hummus that ticks the healthy legume box. I had thought about Christmas cookies vs. Christmassy decorated petit fours (which it sounds like you are describing) and haven't decided on that yet. I may send one or the other home with our guests in a cellophane treat bag.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

Wow every thing sounds so good. My family loves bacon wrapped scallops and they are so easy to do. They only cook 3 minutes on each side. Maybe you could put them down stairs since you have the bacon wrapped dates upstairs. Shrimp cocktail is also a favorite.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Roasted veggies are yummy and more autumnal, so i get that. But they also tend to have at least a bit of oil. And, of course, they lose that shock of color.

I like the brace of a raw veggie or citrus as a sort of palate cleanser, that's why I usually include them in all of my menus.

You most post photos. it sounds most elegant. Are you part of the choir?

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great idea for scallops downstairs, cam! There will be no shrimp cocktail in Hooville this or any Christmas party....I no longer serve red food unless the dinner is a sit down.....ask me why :-(.

Oldbat we will probsbly be mostly upstairs in the living room and dining room and of it isn't too cold, the porch. I anticipate most will migrate to the basement and back as well. The whole house will be open because every inch will be decorated. These are people we know well, so they'll probsbly poke in everywhere to see if we've done anything differently this year. Since the downstairs is new they will probably want to see how Christmas looks down there.

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

You could make stuffed mushroom caps. I have an easy, tried-and-true recipe that can be prepped ahead of time, and then merely be heated and served.

Bob's Magical Mushrooms
    1 lb white mushrooms
    12 oz cream cheese
    3 Tbsp butter
    1 tsp minced garlic
    4 slices of provolone cheese
    3 green onions (chopped fine)

Remove stem and cut away the lower half of the mushroom exposing the gills
    Soften cream cheese in microwave, mix garlic and green onions into cream cheese.
    Melt butter in small dish, mix in garlic
    For each mushroom, spoon the cream cheese mixture into the mushroom, then dip the top into the butter, and place in a glass baking pan. Then cover the top of the cream cheese with provolone cheese.
    The above amount should fill a 13x9 baking pan.

At this point you can refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 400 deg F
    Bake for 10-12 minutes until the provolone is melted and the mushrooms are cooked.
    Serve immediately.

Or this GW posting from some time ago has several other recipes for them: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cooking/msg1221203822154.html?10

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The roasted chickpeas you just put in a bowl and they get eaten by the handful, like chips. They're soooooo delicious.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mtn that is true, roasted veg give up all their color and look delicious, but tired. I'll ask the caterer what she can think of for a lighter option that doesn't involve dipping anything :-)

Yes, I do sing in the choir and am also on the board of directors. This is our eighth season and our budget and audience has more than tripled! We do four concerts each year, one in October, our big Christmas performance (sold out every year!) at the beginning of December, a masterworks concert in February and something completely different each time in May. The chamber choir performs once in the summer in our small Episcopal church. Many of our members drive long distances (some an hour) to sing with our director. We've already named a task force to determine the best ways to mark our tenth anniversary, including funding a vocal performance college scholarship for a local high school student and a performance with several youth choirs. Our own children's choir society may begin that year as well! It is all very exciting!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't realize that, I thought you meant they were A filling, not filling, lol! That's an interesting thought, as nuts are so heavy. I think I will try that on my own beforehand and see how it comes out--- thank you for that!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't realize that, I thought you meant they were A filling, not filling, lol! That's an interesting thought, as nuts are so heavy. I think I will try that on my own beforehand and see how it comes out--- thank you for that!

• caminnc
    9 years ago

This is the recipe I use. I don't fix the sauce because my son likes it crispy so I stop after step #4.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bacon Wrapped Scallops

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yw. Good idea to try ahead. Let me know how you like them. and yes ,filling, not A filling . Lol.

I think that, if you love chickpeas, you'll really love them roasted and spiced. Just a great snack.

Of course, I wasn't happy the year my mother decided hiding baked chickpeas instead of jelly beans on Easter was a great idea.
    FYI: the longer you cook them, the crunchier they get, obviously, but I mention that because the crisp content can really matter to some people and with chickpeas, which are soft, it really does make a difference how long you roast them. I like them on the crunchier side.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I only watched until the Ingredient list, so let me ask: was the lady making the spicy chickpea video doing it on the sly at work? She seems to be almost whispering, as if she can't speak up because she doesn't want anyone to hear what she's doing. You know, like when you make a personal call and you don't want your nosy cubicle mate to hear.

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

If you have the fridge space, you could do up some fridge pickles. They can really balance out a rich meal. Most of them are ready in just a few days to just under a month, are usually super easy to make, and you can use a large variety of produce and seasonings depending on what you or your guests like. Mushrooms are a favorite around here, as are small peppers like pepperonchini or sweeties.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    9 years ago

Little mini quiche are good, non-messy, bite-sized hors d'oeuvres. Make ahead and reheat.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bob, thanks for your suggestion-- if we do mushrooms this year it will be in some sort of pastry shell like phylo. The imgredients I. Your recipe sound simple and good!

Bees I have an abundance of refrigerator space but it's a busy time of year. I can ask caterer about these.

As much as I have loved those mini quiches over the years I am just tired of them, Jensyen.....that's why I am on the lookout for some new ideas. I would be open to something using egg, but dishes like egg salad have a strong summer connotation with me (and most people who live her).

• suero
    9 years ago

Eggplant appetizer

This recipe takes a long time to make and is messy, but the results are delicious.

2 firm eggplants 1 ý to 2 lbs total weight
    1 lb roma tomatoes
    16 oz skim milk mozzarella
    kosher salt (I prefer Diamond Crystal)
    1 to 1 ý cups matzoh meal (enough to bread both sides of the eggplant slices)
    freshly ground black pepper to taste
    dried basil flakes to taste
    canola or corn oil or similar for sautéing eggplant

Slice eggplant into thin rounds (between 1/8â and üâÂÂ)
    (If you are organized, remember which slices are adjacent, to make it easier later on when you sandwich them together)
    Salt liberally and let drain for at least ý hour. The eggplant slices should be damp.
    Slice roma tomatoes into paper thin rounds
    Slice mozzarella into 1/8â thick slices
    Put matzoh meal, pepper and basil into a blender and grind them until the matzoh meal is finely ground (but not as fine as matzoh flour)
    Put the matzoh meal mixture into a dish or shallow pan for dredging.
    Dredge both sides of each eggplant slice in the matzoh mixture. Pat each slice to make the coating stick.
    Heat enough oil to coat a griddle to saute the eggplant slices. Saute the eggplant until the bottom is golden brown (the top will start to turn green). Flip over and sauté the other side. Wipe the griddle between each batch and add oil.
    Here comes the hard part: pair eggplant slices so that you can make the sandwiches. If you remember which slices were adjacent when you cut the eggplant, this will be easy. If youâÂÂre like me, not so much.
    On the bottom eggplant slice, arrange slices of tomato to cover the eggplant. Arrange mozzarella over the tomato, keeping the mozzarella away from the edges. Top with a second eggplant slice.
    Put the eggplant sandwiches on a baking sheet, leaving plenty of room between them, so that if the mozzarella should ooze out, it will be easy to separate the sandwiches. Cook at 350-400 for 15-20 minutes, or enough time to melt the mozzarella. You may need to cook several batches.
    You may refrigerate the eggplant sandwiches. When cool, slice the sandwiches into bite size pieces, typically two, four or six pieces, depending on whether the eggplant slice was from the top, middle or bottom of the eggplant.
    If the eggplant appetizers were refrigerated, heat them for 5 minutes at 350 �" 400 degrees. Serve at room temperature.

Yield: 100 or so bite sized appetizers

• GaryFx
    9 years ago

If being seasonal is important, why not do something with apples or pears instead of strawberries?

As for something with eggs, deviled eggs have fallen out of fashion in recent years, but personally, I'm fond of them, and they have some potential for creativity.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

DD and I were at the CC last week for an art night. There were waiters circulating with hors d'oeuvres. My favorite was a stalk of asparagus wrapped in phylo with a sprinkle of shredded parmesan, they were TDF!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I make those filo asparagus wraps often, they are really good!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Quick q KSWL,

Have you made the champagne cocktails before? Wondering about lime In champagne. I've also seen similar recipes with triple sec ...

I wanted to bring a cocktail to our next cooking club and a holiday champagne cocktail sounds lovely.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Years ago, I won the (silly not serious) white wine prize at a wine exchange with my Prosecco and the Honeydew Bellini recipe from a Bon Appetite magazine. Technically, the magazine won since it was their recipe and I think they even recommended the Prosecco to use but they weren't there so I took home the prize.

Since Mtn's question about champagne jogged my memory of this recipe, I thought I'd share it.

Surprisingly, I still have one of the recipe cards that I had tied to each bottle. More surprisingly, I was able to locate it. I never cease to amaze myself. (It was 12 couples, you brought a case of your selection and left with one of every bottle, except the one your own since that was opened for sampling. It was a nice way to sample things you might not consider or notice at the store.)

4 cups or 1/2 a medium honeydew melon
    2 Tb sugar
    1 Tb fresh lemon juice
    Line a large strainer with 2 layers of damp cheesecloth, set over a large bowl. Purée the melon, sugar, & lemon juice until smooth. Pour into lined strainer and let drain until only pulp remains, about 30 minutes. Discard pulp.

Pour scant 3 TB melon juice into champagne glass, fill with Prosecco and serve.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

HHireno, I love any kind of Bellini, sounds delicious.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

Some ideas:

BLT cherry tomatoes - cored tomatoes stuffed with shredded lettuce, crumbled bacon, and mayo.

Mexican shrimp cocktail - A "soupier" shrimp cocktail with avocado

Tofu lettuce wraps

If you wanted a different take on the spinach dip, stuff it into cherry tomatoes and top with bread crumbs and serve warm.

Meatballs are always a safe bet, lamb would be nice with a brandy sauce.

Another vegan idea would be olivada/olive tapenade served with crackers or made into sandwiches.

This post was edited by tishtoshnm on Mon, Nov 10, 14 at 14:18

• funkyart
    9 years ago

I do many variations on the asparagus wrap depending on the menu-- i've wrapped in Phyllo, puff pastry, thinly sliced london broil and prosciutto. I blanch them and then wrap and cook if needed.. for the meats, you can tie them with scallion strips (though I don't usually take the extra step). Many recipes use an herbed cream or mayo too but I skip that also.

Also a fan of grilled bacon wrapped scallops-- in fact these two are on my new year's eve menu.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whoa, Suero, that eggplant app sounds amazing! I have to be honest and admit that is something I am more likely to make for lunch instead of a party...more for me :-)

I love apples and pears, garyfx! I'm trying to put together a menu that doesn't require a fork... Any recipes involving those fruits to share? I've also thought about using a tart pear paste with the Brie instead of fig.

Holly Kay and Bumble---- like the idea of asparagus in phylo. What length of asparagus spear? Any sauce or purée or anything else in the phylo aside from Parmesan? Is it dry?

Mtnrdredux: we make champagne cocktails often, usually just making them up as we go along. (When my mother tells me she's bringing a new recipe to try when she comes down to spend the weekend she's almost always referring to a new drink, preferably with champagne or grey goose :-). We have that particular cocktail at holiday parties because it has a festive look from the green lime and red cranberry and a gorgeous color from the pomegranate juice. Also it's easy to make a non alcoholic mock-tail that looks just the same. They can be made one at a time two parts champagne to one part p juice, squeeze of lime and a frozen cherry-- or if I've had time, a couple of them strung on a holiday toothpick. Or you can mix up a batch like punch and drop in the lime and cranberry as the glasses are filled. You can use prosecco for similar results and if we have lots of people I do. But we buy champagne by the case and usually use that.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great scott, Hhireno-- -that drink sounds delicious but more work than a meal! You are truly the uber entertainer!

Thank you for those ideas tishtoshnm!

Herbed mayo--- that's what I was thinking for the asparagus, funky art.

• GaryFx
    9 years ago

It's been a few decades since I've worked on any sort of reception of this scale. Personally, I'm fond of apples with cheese, but you'd need to find the right variety to avoid browning, or else use lemon juice.

However a quick web search for apple appetizers turns up lots of interesting ideas.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I love smoked Salmon w/cream cheese on the small rye bread rounds or even a rye cracker. Sprinkle with a little dill weed to give an extra yummy flavor.

I also buy the frozen Pierogi, let them thaw, and saute in a little butter(with a couple of drops of olive oil to keep from burning), then sprinkle with a little goat cheese. Cut in fourths for bite-sized pieces.

Caprese is so easy also. A good Mozzarella, sliced a little thick, organic tomatoes, basil leaves, and balsamic vinegar/olive oil.

Enjoy!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

There was no sauce served with the asparagus wraps and the asparagus piece was about the length of a credit card. It was truly delicious. I could have happily made a meal of it.