Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlj48

new puppy!

jlj48
9 years ago

Well we finally found the dog I think we are supposed to have. I hope you will bear with me while I tell this story. I wanted so much to rescue a dog from a shelter. We visited area shelters and looked endlessly online. We did not find the right one. Then a person on facebook stated she had puppies to find homes for. I went with my family to look at the puppies, knowing I would fall in love with them I felt badly. This isn't the way I wanted to do it. I wanted a RESCUE dog. But after arriving at the home I learned that the woman had bought a home with kennels on the property. She had volunteered at 2 shelters for the past 6 years and had an arrangement with shelter owners and community people to take in dogs they could not find homes for. She had taken in my dogs mother while pregnant and kept her while she had 7 puppies, and found homes for all of them. She insisted on keeping them all until they were at least 8 weeks old and she had them wormed and gave them their first shots. She charged a small rehoming fee and did home visits on any homes she was unsure of. She had other dogs there too and was getting ready to take in more. So I did, unknowingly get a rescue dog :)
This little guy is so sweet. He is mostly lab with some husky and something else - not sure. He cries when he is away from us and just wants to be held. I haven't had a puppy in 12 years, so I hope it's like riding a bike but I'm not so sure. Last night he was up at 3:30 am crying in his kennel so I held him in the recliner until morning. I felt like a new mother up with her infant.
If you've followed me this far, thank you. I will be back I'm sure with puppy questions.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (59)

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

See how everything worked out just right? I'm so happy for you! He's just a sweet baby! Enjoy every moment. Look at the little white socks on his paws:-)

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

He is so adorable and sweet!!

• yayagal
    9 years ago

A face that no one could resist. You're both very lucky to have found each other.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

I REALLY hate to say this, but DON'T pick up puppy at night!!!

It's SO hard not to, but if you do, you're setting-up a near-endless cycle of "Gosh! I'm alone...I'll cry and Mom will hold me!!!". Don't let that get started!!

Go to the doorway ONLY...not in room. Don't turn on lights, and DON'T use a real high-pitched "gushy" voice. Just use an even/pleasant-toned voice of encouragement for a MINUTE...THEN LEAVE. Do this for 2 or 3 nights, then STOP.

Puppy HAS to learn that no cuddling will happen at night, AND that he will soon fall asleep, and will "make it" thru the night just fine.

We did this with both our dogs, and they're just fine! We can go for HOURS, & it's just fine. No drama created when we're coming or going.

Faron

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

How completely adorable! Joanie, you are a good soul to want to rescue a pup in need. Wishing you and your new sweetie pie many, many wonderful years together. And the furniture still intact.

• homersmom
    9 years ago

Just precious.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Who could resist that puppy puss!
    Wonderful!
    Any name yet?

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I can never resists reading posts about pets. Your new family member is so adorable!!! Your world will never be the same, lol.

We have 3 cats, one a Maine Coon, who are all from the Humane Society, so good for you for adopting a rescue.

I echo Faron's advice, don't give in and cuddle him when he cries at night. Dogs and cats both pick up, very quickly that we will do what they want us to do.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

He's adorable! What's his name?

I have to agree with Faron, but I'm not really sure I could pull it off either. Our dog came from a breeder and she made sure he was used to being alone in his crate before we got him.

When we first got him we took him out every hour or so to pee. It was a huge pain because it was a really cold January. but it seemed we figured out his schedule quickly and were able to cut the walks down eventually. Another fun thing we got was a little jingle bell that hangs by the door. We'd ring the bell before taking him out. Eventually he'd go and hit it when he wanted to go out. He doesn't use it anymore but it was fun.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Faron is absolutely correct, so follow his advice. DO NOT pick the puppy up at nightâ¦or any time he whimpers. That is rewarding him for that behavior, and it will become impossible to break and then you'll go nuts and he'll be a PITA. Ignore or scold negative or bad behavior. Reward good behavior with a pat on the shoulder and a "Good boy!". Give treats randomly (recommend keeping a jar of the Mother Hubbard baked mini treats, even when he's full grown), just for the fun of it, never as a reward.

Congrats on your new family member! And good for you for rescuing!

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Do NOT scold negative or bad behavior. Dogs don't understand it. Put his crate in your bedroom so he is with his pack - which is you. I remember sleeping on the floor next to my puppy's crate with my hand through the bars. I can't imagine not trying to sooth a whimpering 8 week old puppy that was just torn away from its mom. Please.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Dogs do understand "no" and when they've upset their master, and it's important for them to learn it, for their own safety, just as "Good boy!" is what they come to hope to hear from their masters.

Dogs absolutely get language, just say "Go ride car", or " Treat?". So if they can understand those things mean a good thing, they can understand that "no" means to stay away or stop. And they do.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

You're sadly mistaken if you think ONE pic is gonna satisfy us!!!

This is the funniest line of the morning.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Good advice

Here is a link that might be useful: Getting puppies to sleep through the night

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Oh those eyes! Big puppy dog eyes. I'd be picking him up and cuddling him all night. I would spoil him rotten, I am sure. Many years ago I had a husky and for the first week home I slept (ha ha) with my arm dangling over the side of the bed to comfort him. It was his first night away from his litter mates. He finally preferred to sleep in the back room, which was chilly at night. He loved cold.

He's darling. What is his name?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

What a cutie!

For nightime, get a ticktock clock and wrap it in a soft towel or blanket. Put it next to him. He will be comforted and you will get to sleep through the night. I also agree that putting his crate in your bedroom (at least until he is housebroken and can be out of the crate at night-we have never crated ours, so take with a grain of salt) is a good idea. Dogs are pack animals and you are his pack now. Our dogs sleep in the bedroom and the mama dog goes under the bed (high bed) to sleep sometimes. I suspect she was crated in her first home before we adopted her and her pup. They are now nine and eight years old. Best move we ever made. Enjoy your new baby!

And, yes, more pictures!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The clock is a great idea. You can also use a white noise machine. Yes to putting the crate in your room, IF you can stand it and resist getting up to pick him up if he whimpers. If he whimpers, after a few whimpers, not right away, in a steady voice tall him it's okay, or something, so that he knows you're there protecting him. Or take him out to pee quickly (only reason for taking him out of the crate at night) and put him back in the crate, no picking him up, no baby voice, etc. And keep in mind that all of this is for his welfare, well-being, and safety.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

So beautiful! Congrats!

Yes, training him to understand he is safe without you is very important. He may learn to have separation anxiety, which is a huge problem.

Have confidence in your puppy. Not pity.

And, have fun!!!!

• jlj48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for sharing in my excitement. And thank you Faron for that very wise advise that I read before retiring for the night last night. I'm glad that I got up in the night with him the first night at 3:30 am. He had only come to us that evening and everything was so new. He cried for us and was soothed. We spent yesterday getting him more familiar with us and his surroundings and part of that was his crate. We put him in it with the door open several times throughout the day for naps with the blanket we brought him home in and he LIKED his crate. But I needed that reminder. Last night was MUCH better. He cried at the beginning of the night in his crate, but it wasn't a desperate cry, it was a "hey, where did everybody go" cry. He settled down and we didn't hear from him until morning. I took him right outside to the bathroom and he got lots of praise. He is NOT in our bedroom because our bedroom is upstairs and my husband works long hours and needs his sleep. His crate is in the laundry room off the kitchen where we spend most of our time, so naps and toys are convenient. We are keeping him in the kitchen area on tile floor until he is potty trained. He gets LOTS of attention all day and night, so I want him to learn that night time is for sleeping and quiet.
    His name is Ozzie. Not my first choice, but was the family consensus. He will grow into his name. To me he is my "good boy". I've never had a boy dog before so this is fun.
    He is so very sweet. Trying to concentrate on beginning training so he stays sweet and enjoyable to be around. And that involves training my children how to train the dog. It's a crazy house for sure. And next weekend I have 25 family members coming to celebrate the holidays. He will be the life of the party I'm sure.
    I will post some more pictures a little later when I have time to take and load them. Thanks for the good wishes!

• jlj48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought of you Anele as I posted because you had just shared in your excitement last week. I hope you figured it all out and made a decision that you're a peace with.

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    9 years ago

Such a cutie! Congratulations on your new puppy! I haven't read all the responses, but just have to politely disagree with the advice to ignore the puppy crying at night. I truly believe if you apply common sense to raising a puppy it is so simple. This little guy is barely able to survive on his own. He was taken away from all he's ever known in his short life and he is scared. I see absolutely nothing wrong with providing comfort. I raised my Golden as I raised my children and I must say they all turned out perfectly well adjusted and behaved! Do what your heart tells you and most of all have fun!

And yes, more pictures please! :)

• teacats
    9 years ago

Lots of hugs and kisses to little Ozzie -- what a sweetie-pie face!!!!! :)

Many blessings to you, your family and all of your good hearts for taking in Ozzie .....

Can't wait to see his Holiday photos! :)

• blfenton
    9 years ago

We had a lab/husky cross, looked just like yours actually, and she was a great dog. She did need quite a bit of walking and liked to run but be careful, huskies are apparently known for being stubborn and ours was true to form. Ours (her name was Chimo) has been gone a long time and is still missed.

Enjoy!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Ozzie! I love that. Also, your "good boy" brought this to mind and it always makes me giggle.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

cyn that's hilarious!

Here's my fave:

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Seriously, Tibb, I have decided the highest purpose of the internet is to amuse each other with funny pet videos and cartoons! Love yours, too.

• User
    9 years ago

Congrats on your new addition, and I do believe he is a rescue.
    win win all around!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Congrats on Ozzie. A cutie. Makes me almost regret not getting a puppy recently but as DH reminds me - there will be other puppies. I knew about the no coddling at nite, don't accept whining, etc. We did all those no-nos. We're suckers and our princess knows she really the queen of the household. lol. Never experienced separation anxiety though

If using a crate, consider draping a sheet over the top of crate - it creates a cozy secure environment.

I read a book years ago, Dogs are Smarter than you think, and after a while, stop using the basic commands and started speaking in regular sentences. The dogs understood

• jlj48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love the cartoons! Yes we drape a towel over the crate and play a radio for him at night. I would have to say that so far he is pretty spoiled. And we are growing accustomed to puppy breath :)

• Faron79
    9 years ago

I think of the "spoiled toddler" syndrome.

We ALL know what happens if you give in to a whining toddler. Soon, there's hell-to-pay....and a child who "knows" he's the boss. Not the way you want a puppy to become!

Faron

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Joanie, sounds like a great nght!

My family wants a third pro opinion, though I am doubtful. If only it were 1 yr later. So, I think we have to say goodbye. No answer feels like the right one, either way.

I recommend Kikopup for ideas. See link for videos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kikopup

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

So beautiful. I think you will like having a little boy pup. I read somewhere that girl dogs love you and boy dogs are IN love with you and I have definitely found that to be true. I have a girl and a boy and while my girl is affectionate, my little guy takes it to a whole other level when it comes to giving and getting love ups.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

What a sweet face! Love his white booties. Congrats on your new puppy! Lots of good advice here.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Little Ozzie is a doll! How could anyone resist those sweet puppy eyes?

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Ozzie is adorable! It sounds like he is off to a great start with your family. So glad you found each other. We have had our big guy Sarge, our first boy dog, for 7 years now. He's a sweetheart, and although he wasn't a puppy when we got him, he fit right in and loved us from the start. He never leaves our side.

• jlj48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a quick update. Ozzy is doing well. It took 3 nights for him to sleep through the night but OH, SLEEP, it was WONDERFUL! Now he loves his pen. He goes in it all the time. He never barks and is very sweet. Loves to cuddle and play. At first he was scared of squeaky toys, he would run and hide in your lap and bury his head but now he enjoys them. We have barriers set up to keep him in the kitchen until he is potty trained. We are really working on that one. He has gone to the door a time or two to go out on his own, but he still goes on my kitchen floor. I'm so glad I am not allowing him on carpet. It will be wonderful when we don't have to climb over barriers anymore.
    I wake up the kids everyday by carrying him to their room and letting him climb all over them :) And he likes to ride in the car to take my daughter to school. We are learning his temperment. He seems to be sensitive. If he is scolded for anything, he will bury his head and go to his kennel, then you feel bad for telling him "no" for chewing on the door mat. I think he will grow to be a wonderful dog. I REALLY hope we can get him to come when he is called. Prior dogs ran like the wind when they got out the front door. I will enjoy him so much if he does not do that. Our back yard is fenced, which is very convenient but the snow is coming (Iowa weather) so enjoying him outside will be limited until spring.
    Thank you for sharing in our excitement!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sounds great, Joanie, and congrats on getting him sleeping through the night and so quickly.

I'd think the kids, at least, would love to play with him in the snow!

When he's about a year old, I highly, highly recommend getting a Sportdog training collar. They are VERY effective, IF you use them correctly (do NOT use it at home, for example). I like the Sportdog trainers because they also have a tone button, versus a lot that only have the zapper buttons. The tone button is often enough. The Husky in him might make him a bit stubborn and have wanderlust.

Also, my absolute favorite dog toy for retrievers is a Chuckit, the medium-size. You can really throw balls far, and you can pick them up with the thing rather than picking up slobbery filthy balls with your had. "My" dogs see me pick the Chuckit up and nearly faint from excitement over what is about to go on in their lives.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

There are many ways to train dogs, just as there are many approaches to child rearing. You might want to read Karen Pryor's "Reaching the Animal Mind." It explains the theory behind "no punishment" animal training. And it's cheaper than a shock collar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reaching the Animal Mind

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Ozzie is adorable and I think you've taken the right approach to soothe him the first night and start teaching him the next day. They say don't do anything three times you don't want to make a habit.

A lab pup will need a lot of toys and a lot of exercise -- miles of walking or playing with other dogs, to keep their energy at bay. Bored puppies are the ones who chew on everything and get into the most trouble. A time or two learning on a few things is par for the course, but you may have more trouble over the winter if you don't find ways to tire him out (a tired puppy is a good puppy). Toys that require them to work at something (kongs or others with a treat). I bought a lot of toys for my lab and took her to the dog park a lot and it was worth it to not have furniture, shoes, etc. chewed up.

Mine was not technically a rescue, but I consider her one. She was about to be taken to the pound in an area hit by a hurricane and over run with puppies and problems. She would have been put down for sure and she is the smartest, sweetest dog. My other was found at a gas station and I fostered her until she was healthy and I was convinced to keep her. Neither went to the shelter and only one went through their foster system (ours does a full intake, gives them vaccinations and spays or neuters them, microchips them and handles processes the adoption paperwork -- covered by the adoption fee). I consider them both rescues. Ozzie is a definite rescue, and the ones lucky enough to find foster care tend to stay healthier and happier. Glad he found you.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

a la lascatx, see if there is a **good** dog park near you. They are a wonderful resource for both the dogs and the humans. Check for the double-gate entry and if the visitors pick up after their dogs. The people at the Provincetown Dog Park are fastidious about it; those at the Falmouth Dog Park..no.

If you do have one nearby, ask the regulars if there is a good block in which to bring a puppy, or if there are any times to definitely not bring him because there is a big or somewhat aggressive dog or dogs then. Most parks also have a separate area for small dogs. In the winter, bring a jug of water to donate for the dogs. Usually there are a bunch of water bowls there, but of course they turn to ice, and the parks have to shut the running water off for the winter, so people bring water for everyone to share. But they're a wonderful way for dogs to burn energy and get socialized.

• jlj48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys. Yes one of the reasons I wanted a lab or lab mix was to get my booty out of the house and exercise, and I think Ozzie will sure help me with that. We live 2 blocks from a beautiful wooded park with trails AND a dog park in it. Ozzie will MAKE me move because as much as I like the park, I don't like getting out in the cold.
    Ozzie definitely needs more toys. He has three and I think he's getting bored.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

definitely get a tug-of-war toy. they love it, and they're engaging you when they play and love that.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

I bought my dogs the line of Nina Ottosson dog puzzles. They are a little pricy, but they are absolutely wonderful. You need to participate as the dog does the puzzles (otherwise he could tip them over or chew the bones) but it is amazing to watch the dogs try to figure it out and to see their satisfaction when they solve the puzzle. It is a great mental challenge and my dogs get SO excited when their Nina Ottosson puzzles come out. I have both the plastic and wood ones and the plastic ones hold up better.

Edited to add, the puzzles I bought from Amazon. The main website is all priced in English pounds and I did not order the puzzles from England :)

This post was edited by beaglesdoitbetter on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 21:11

• vwhippiechick
    9 years ago

I'm not a professional dog trainer but something that worked for us in getting our wonderful rescued "Sophie" to come on command was to use training treats. Everytime she came when called she got a tiny treat, every time she came in from the yard when called she got a treat. It worked really well and despite some warnings from others she has maintained her weight perfectly. I love puppy breath and your Ozzie is adorable. He's so lucky to have found a wonderful home.

• glad2b
    9 years ago

He is so adorable! I don't think you can give children a better life than filling your house with the love of a dog...and a cat too! I think it's just wonderful that you are so sensitive and sweet to him - he is a baby. :)

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Hmmmmm...I was hoping it would be spelled "Ozzy"...;-)
    (as in my fave "Prince of Darkness" Rocker!)

YES! Scolding about "mistakes" is pointless, as is "rubbing a dogs nose in it!!!

I'm SO glad we went thru some training-sessions with Callie!! Learning to have your dog "watch me!", "stand-stay", & "down-stay" is cool!!
    The importance of the "slip-chain" collar, & a good LEATHER lead are CRITICAL in training. Kind of a good feeling when you have your dog on a "down-stay, & watch-me"....then dropping the lead, & walking in a big circle around them, back to where you started. Their eyes following you all the way too!

Oh....btw...I didn't "say" anything either!
    Just small hand movements! The "come to heel" command, & the leash-free "Heel" take some work, but Callie's "decent" at it!

Here she is this past Halloween (a little over 5y/o now)!
    Faron

• jlj48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What a beautiful dog Faron!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Faron, she is gorgeous!

Joanie I keep checking back to see if you've posted more pics of Ozzie.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

What a sweet baby! Labs and Labs mixes are usually fairly easy to train. For me the hard part was always getting the family to use the same commands. Dog easy, family not! The best thing ever is to do a family training with dog and dog trainer. My husband was the worst. For example if I want the dog to come I say his name first and the word âÂÂcomeâÂÂ. My husband says: hey you over there come here and bring your bone, over here, here doggie doggie doggie, over here, sit by me, thatâÂÂs it come on. Eventually he would give up and call the dog simple. My sons would say: over here come on and then the dogs name. The poor dog didnâÂÂt know what the heck was going on. Luckily dog training school helped train the humans on the same commands.

• Irish2
    9 years ago

Couldn't not open this thread!
    Best of luck with "Ozzie"! He is a handsome boy.

Faron, Ms. Callie is a beauty! I live thru other people's pets now that
    our "boys" are no longer here.