Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_2007

Calgary Hotel Recommendations? Mitch?

marlene_2007
9 years ago

I will going up to Calgary in a couple of weeks to pick up our new fur kid.

I'll be by myself and don't want to be too far from the airport but would like to stay at a really nice hotel.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• marlene_2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I figured out how to fly up and return to Portland in one day so I don't need a hotel after all. Thanks anyway.

I know it's going to be freezing cold :-)

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

Hi Marlene, I just saw your post now, glad it worked out and keep us posted about your new friend !!

I am in Florida right now but am flying back to Calgary soon, it is bitter cold indeed there at this time of year.

downtown Calgary is only 20 minutes from the airport so let me know if your needs change !!

• marlene_2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh thank you, Mitch!

I have someone flying from Seattle to Calgary and then Calgary to Seattle and I am flying from Portland to Seattle to pick up Violet and then back to Portland.

The flights from Portland to Calgary are not great and they only fly itty bitty planes. No non-stops. I was really surprised.

Just in case, can you suggest a hotel. Thanks so much, Mitch.

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

I'm not Mitch, but can tell you that I stayed at the Westin downtown this past August and it was nice (close to the airport too). Too bad you can't go on up to Banff though. The Fairmont is stunning. ;-)

• marlene_2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Sunny, thank you!

I have stayed at the Fairmont in Banff and all I can say is OMG! It is one of the most beautiful places I have seen. The entire area is beyond belief.

I wish I had more time, but I have a 19 year old fur kid that I don't like to leave for very long. His poppa can take care of feeding him, etc....but if there were an emergency, he's pretty helpless.

Thanks again (btw..if you're ever in Portland, please let me know :-) )

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

Isn't the Fairmont just the BEST! I was only there overnight - and it was a work trip, so usually I'm eager to get home - but I truly did not want to leave. The hotel and surrounding area just took my breath away. I'm going back for a week in June (also work-related), and am scheming on how to tack on a few vacation days while I'm up there. Glorious country.

Bless your 19-year old furbaby! I completely understand not wanting to be away for long. I wish you a happy, quick trip and likewise - if you're ever in DFW, please be in touch!

• marlene_2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

June will be a fabulous time to be in the Canadian Rockies. I am so envious!

We arrived at the Fairmont in the evening and it was rainy and foggy. Oh well, we thought. Then when we woke up the next morning and looked out the window, we thought we had been transported to a wonderland. It literally took my breath away.

Thank you for your thoughts about my Oliver. It's not easy. He's my best friend. I know you understand.

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

Oh, I do completely understand about the importance of being with our aging furkids as much as possible. Bless your sweet heart for caring. :-)

I'll just leave you with this ... Took this photo from the back terrace of the hotel. I'm sure you recognize the view!

• marlene_2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes! I sure do and it's as gorgeous as I remember :-)

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

Hello Marlene, I only know of the Sheraton Eau Claire hotel because it's close to where I live and I've put up people there, it's a downtown hotel that is close to the Bow River and it has a nice walking path steps away.

Indeed Banff is an amazing little town, we go on day trips there since it's a 90 minute drive from Calgary, astounding views no matter where you are.

• marlene_2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Mitch.

If all works out with the kitten we are getting in 11 days, I will be going back up to Calgary in January to pick up a brother for her. I definitely will be spending the night and both suggestions for hotels are greatly appreciated.

I don't know why, but I am way too picky about hotel accommodations.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

It's always better to have a recommendation instead of going blindly, I'm that way also.
    The Sheraton Eau Claire is within walking distance of the River Cafe, which is absolutely divine, it's a landmark in Calgary.

• marlene_2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just looked at the River Cafe menu (I have a thing about menus too :-)) The lobster and scallops...omg.

The are closed for the month of January :-(.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

oh no !! I tempted you for nothing. You could walk over to Buchanan's 10 minutes walk from there, a casual fun pub.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

Marlene, the airport is small and not exciting at all, just ok.
    With a 7 hr layover, I would definitely cab it to a nearby mall or even dowtown. Let me think about it.

• marlene_2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. Mitch. I usually am not so rude as to derail a thread (well, I am but I won't admit it :-))

This person is really doing me a huge favor by flying to Calgary for me. I want to make it as nice as possible for her.