Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Corporate but personal holiday gift ideas.

jterrilynn
10 years ago

Shall we start an inspiration thread on under $80.00 gift ideas for professionals who work together and partake in holiday gift giving? Some ideas that do not include gift baskets and are unisex perhaps? Some unique ideas?

Comments (11)

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

I've done travel mugs with our (university) logo on them along with a Starbucks gift card. People liked that one a lot.

We also send out cupcake assortment packs from a local indie bakery. Those are always a hit! If the recipient doesn't eat them they can be shared with family or friends.

Ann

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

GF bought us a rabbit wine bubbler...supposed to aerate the wine and make it taste better, but ours is hand held and a trick to use. They now make one that attaches to the end of the bottle. Also the rabbit wine stoppers are terrific..so much better than dealing with corks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wine aerator

• teacats
    10 years ago

How about small rosemary "trees" from a local nursery or garden center -- or perhaps something like cider mulling spices (and a bottle of cider) from a site like Williams Sonoma?

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My husband normally buys nice bottles of wine but wants to do something different this year, although he will use the wine gift as a second choice if we canâÂÂt come up with anything. I have been trying to think of something unique but useful. We live in Florida so there is a lot of patio entertaining during the winter months, especially since everyone gets their northern relatives. I like three wick candles with removable cut crystal glass on a holder but darn if I can find any cut crystal glass with holder where the crystal part is removable And it holds a three wick candle. I like how cut crystal reflects. But, thatâÂÂs not very unisex? Most people I know get too many grill accessory kits so grill related stuff is out. Two of the main people to buy for have modern transitional decorating taste and are pretty much set thatâÂÂs why IâÂÂm trying to think of something different â¦but not sure what. Plants are out as these are inter-coastal condos with balcony patios but enough room for entertaining. Hmmm! Maybe IâÂÂm on the wrong track.

Although IâÂÂm seeking ideaâÂÂs I hope this will be an âÂÂeverybodyâ gift giving inspiration thread.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

When I directed a smallish team, I gave each tickets to something I knew they'd enjoy-- we'd had a rough year and everyone had worked long hours so the tickets provided a time out with their spouses and/or children. Since many of the events were out of town, they also got an extra 1/2 day off.

I gave tickets to two different Cirque du Soleil shows, the russian ballet, a local performance of Annie (for the father of two young girls) and Flyer's hockey tickets. Can't tell you how much they appreciated the special attention to their interests (and the time off). I received beautiful thank you notes from some of the wives, girlfriends and children of my staff.

Tickets can be tricky because of timing-- but it worked out for my team. I am not big on gift certificates in general but I'd consider a gift certificate to a theater, the symphony or a hot new restaurant.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

DH and I have this discussion every year because he gives gifts to his department of 8-9 people who work under him and he is stumped almost every year. Often, he gifts gift cards to restaurants. One year we had gone to Italy so he gave everyone handmade-paper notepads from Florence along with the gift card. Sometimes it will be a joke gift along with a gift card. Their department is pretty friendly and close-knit, so he has also given gift cards specific to each person's interests -- like one for REI for the hiker/outdoorsy type. One year his dept. was all women so he gave them gift cards for a day spa near the office.

Oh, and he has given books before -- a book that he read that was somehow meaningful -- along with a GC.

His boss has give him/us: a crystal clock (totally not my style), fancy wine bottle opener, hmm, can't remember what else. And DH's staff has given him a lot of restaurant gift cards, which we both enjoy!

One year when the company was smaller, the head of the company gave everyone these arty glass paperweights by Josh Simpson, which was cool. I think most people could incorporate something like this into their decor, or simply use it on their desk at work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Planets

• funkyart
    10 years ago

Love the Josh Simpson paperweight-- I just started a new job and don't yet have the kinds of relationships for something personal.. yet, I'd like to do something for a few who have made my transition easier.. This is PERFECT. Thank you, Sue!

I send vosges truffles to the staff of a small store where I receive exceptional service throughout the year.. I also send them to friends as a special thank you or a pick-me-up. I'll be honest, I've never eaten them but I am told they are "an experience"... in fact, they come with instructions that guide the recipient as to how best to enjoy them and experience the flavors. I generally give the exotic collection or the italiano.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

When we worked for one fellow he gave out the gorham silver snowflake ornament every year that was engraved with the year on it. That may be above your price range now though. But you may be able to find something in crystal....maybe swarovski crystal?

And one year we got limoge box with santa on it.

Restaurant gift certificates are always nice and certainly visa gift cards are one size fits all.

Maybe something like nice black walnut bookends.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

When you are dealing with a cross-section of people, I think it is best to stick with gift cards...either restaurant, department store, gas, Amazon etc..unless you are willing to get individual gifts based on each person's likes. If someone receives a bottle of wine, but they are not a wine drinker while the thought is appreciated the gift is wasted on them and useless to them (other than as a re-gift). Ditto for any kind of house stuff unless you are certain of their specifc taste....it will get thrown in a drawer or given away. Food stuff is OK...but I think a lot of times that is given away as well because people are bombarded with food this time of year.

• sas95
    10 years ago

I think giving ornaments and other Christmas-themed stuff is tricky if one has no idea what people's religion/holiday beliefs are. I have a distinctly non-Jewish name, yet I'm Jewish. I can't tell you how many work-related gifts of ornaments, etc. have been regifted.

I used to spend a lot of time each year struggling to pick out the "perfect" gift for people who worked for me, feeling like it's better to do something more personal. It was liberating to figure out several years ago that most people do prefer gift cards.

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

I am usually burned out after the holidays with shopping, cooking, entertaining and spending (i.e. broke) so nice restaurant gift cards are ALWAYS appreciated. I enjoy them during the long months of January and February especially - that is when we try to take a little "us" time.

Someone mentioned Visa gift cards that can be used anywhere - my DD loves to get those and she usually saves them for a little early spring "retail therapy". Her in-laws usually give these to her and she refreshes her Spring Wardrobe.