Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

In search of button down shirt with hidden placket

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

My 11yo daughter needs to wear a solid button down shirt to school, either white or light blue.

She mentioned to me the other day that someone has one with a hidden placket (not in so many words). It is a small detail but one she liked.

I have tried J Crew, Banana Republic, LandEnd, etc and been unable to find such a shirt. I know she would probably also prefer something a little fitted.

Any ideas about where to look?

Comments (13)

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Aren't these used for formal wear? Or (sorry) by high end waiters/waitresses. For some reason this is the image I have of what you are describing. Perhaps look at formal wear and find the description for one to go on a broader search.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I did a search, and one from Burberry and one from Forever 21 popped up. Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum! Anyway, the Burberry one is a boy's shirt and the Forever 21 comes in women's sizes, but is more fitted. If this is a uniform shirt, I would not suggest Forever 21 because their clothes are literally disposable and will disintegrate after a few washings.

You also might be able to get a seamstress to make a regular button down into a hidden placket one. Good luck!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I have seen them at Talbots. Not sure if your daughter could fit into a misses or a petite, but you could try.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, Technicolor! Yes, maybe I can find it in waitress uniforms.

I had a one or two shirts withe hidden plackets, they were usually very fitted.

Texanjana, I saw the Burberry (i think she would nix that) and Forever21 (Im assuming it feels awful).

Cyn, cool, thanks!

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I'm always curious about looking for different. But my searches came up with nothing for women or out of stock. The uniform search didn't work either.

You could ask the girl's mom, but your daughter would probably want to strangle you.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I have no idea who she is. Plus this is a Christmas present.

My DH calls them non-present-presents, whereby I buy the kids things they need for the holiday. They do get some fun and frivolous stuff, but it pains me to buy junk.

So I was thinking about getting her clothes for school, and since it is a uniform there is narrow scope for indulgence. Though I did notice she can wear a navy cardigan ... maybe I will look for one in cashmere.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You reminded me of my early days when Mom worked at a company that sold school uniforms to gals. I used to go in and help pack up the orders. I always felt so sorry for some of the girls who went to this school where the uniform was the absolute ugliest shirt-waist dresses that were even then about 20 years out of date and in the most awful shades of pink, blue and yellow. I was always in love with the beautiful navy wool jackets with the emblems on them that went with the black watch plaid and knee socks...so sharp. Used to wear them with penny loafers back then...and you had to have the penny in the loafer!

Sorry for the diversion.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The uniforms aren't really uniforms so much as rules. Essentially white or light blue tops, and khaki or navy bottoms. I like the plaid, too Annie.

I did find the blouse! It was at Neiman Marcus Last Call. I also got a navy cashmere cardigan too.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 11:15

• happy2b…gw
    10 years ago

Annie, I think you must have packed the uniforms for my high school. I had to wear those matronly shirtwaists in the spring, just awful. But I loved the navy jacket with the emblem, black watch narrow pleated skirt , and a matching vest with knee socks or tights. However, no penny loafers during school hours. My classmates and I wore loafers on the way to school and changed to blue heavy oxfords at school.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I did see the one you bought. But the site listed it as out of stock. Glad you found one.

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

Try Van Husen-the x-small are quite small and they wear well AND not expensive..I get them at their outlet as they are great for layering under sweaters, but I think you can get them on line too.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I totally forgot about those dresses Annie! UGH. I hated them. :)

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    10 years ago

When I read "button down shirt" I think of button down collars. "Button front" seems a more apt description of this kind of shirt, but I'm coming to realize the term has changed.

I'm getting old lol.

Glad you found what you were looking for - very thoughtful gift for your daughter.