Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amj0517

Telescope and/or microscope as gifts

amj0517
9 years ago

My boys have been asking for a telescope and a microscope for Christmas for the past two years. Can anyone offer any help in choosing these items, please?!

My boys are 7 and 5 years old, so we're really looking for introduction items. However, I remember using scopes as a kid and was always unable to see anything! I became frustrated and lost interest. I see them advertised at toy stores but wonder if these are a waste of money. I know they can get VERY expensive, and I'm certainly not willing to go down that road, especially considering how young my kids are.

Any suggestions? Did you ever get one for kids that were actually useful (but didn't break the bank)? Am I delusional in thinking that I can get something at a reasonable "toy" price? TIA!

Comments (15)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I bought a Fisher Price Micro Explorer set for DD when she was that age. She loved it. Nevertheless, she did not grow up to be a microbiologist.

Search Google for "toy microscopes." There are many choices in a range of reasonable prices.

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

I used to ask for those things too! For a given price range, microscopes give you much better bang for your buck than telescopes. When I was growing up in the '90s, I got a $120 microscope for my birthday and it went up to 960x magnification. I spent many days playing with it. I looked at onion peels, blood, pond water, soil water and many other objects - it was so much fun and educational too.

The toy telescopes are really not worth it. How about a pair of binoculars instead?

• amj0517
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I think I'll look at the microscopes this year. Save the telescope for when they are a bit older.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

eBay has a beginner set on sale "Buy it now", and it's new, for $40.

Agree about holding off on the telescope. Maybe a trip sometime to an observatory is a good idea.

I always think of boys that age liking walkie-talkies, also an item to check for on eBay.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

We had bought my daughter a toy microscope at Toys R Us in the $50 range when she was younger. It worked well for that time of life. We homeschool and now have a more powerful one that was under $200.

One place I would check if you want to get a better one is Rainbow Resource. It is a homeschooling business and they have many, many prepared slides available should you be interested.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

For that age (any age actually) they would love using a simple app on an IPad, iPhone or tablet to look at the night sky.

Skyview is a good one...I think there is even a free version.

ML

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

We bought our DD a microscope and a telescope when she was about 8 or 9 y/o. She soon lost interest in both as she couldn't see the dramatic things she'd expected. Our next door neighbor is a very prominent astrophysicist and so DD ended up heading over there to have him show her the sky's wonders through his home telescope . . . which, as you can imagine, was every kid's stargazing dream situation. Both DD and her brother got more enjoyment and use out of their walkie-talkies, binoculars, Legos and Lincoln Logs . . . and DS's Ghostbuster Firehouse and the lot. Can you tell that we raised a tomboy(LOL)?
    Lynn

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Be honest and tell them cheap ones won't be what they expect, and good ones are a bit expensive. Chose something else in a fair price range.

• bpath
    9 years ago

My kids found binoculars to be more useful than a kid telescope. You don't have to get the expensive image-stabilizing ones, but the best one you can afford...and help them look after it.

Love the skymap apps!

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

a pair of 11x80 binocs ⦠will last a lifetime and catch the moons of jupiter and any comet coming in or going out. Also, you can spot almost all the planets, thru neptune with them. get them an observer's handbook to go with. it is great with the galaxies and superior for moon viewing

dave

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

My daughter is visually impaired. The school is using the digital microscopes. She is able to see things never before imagined on a TV screen.

Here is a link to various ones to think about.

My son is an scientist working in Hawaii after 6 yrs at the S Pole. I wish I had bought him a chemistry set or go the direction you are. I would not have cared if he only lasted a month with one, at least the experience is there to want more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Digital microscope

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

If you go with binoculars, some other things that could accompany them are bird identification books and good journals so they can start a bird life list. It is a great learning experience working through the identifications.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Or plane identification books (esp if they show pics from below) and airline schedule, if they are more into that. You can play scavenger hunt and i spy with binoculars, too.

• mboston_gw
    9 years ago

I am looking for a decent planetarium for my 51/2 year old GS. He loves books about the planets and stars. The ones I have found online have such mixed reviews and the two I have seen in person appear to be nothing more than junk - cheap plastic - only really good for projecting images on the wall or ceiling and are used more for nightlights than learning about the planets. I am not sure what I am going to do but I have found a Smithsonian Space Tablet that I think he will enjoy and if I find a planetarium to go with it, I will be happy.

Anyone find one that is worth the money for a 5 year old that is of good quality?

• amj0517
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tips on the Skyview app. My boys are really enjoying it. It'll be even better in the summer when we can really use it outside!

I ended up ordering a microscope and a few prepared slides from Lakeshore Learning (as recommended by the kindergarten teacher at school). She could not recommend a specific model but suggested a school supply store. I can't wait until Christmas so we can start using it!

MBOSTON - Lakeshore also carries a Planetarium. The description says it is interactive and educational. No reviews on it though. They also emailed a coupon to me. The code is 9690 if you needed it. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lakeshore planetarium

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath