Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

Maybe you don't have insomnia

I was listening to NPR in the car the other day and learned something interesting. The idea of an uninterrupted 8 hours of sleep a night is a fairly modern concept.

It turns out that it's more natural to sleep a few hours, wake up for an hour or so, then sleep a few more hours. In fact in the past our ancestors referred to "first sleep" and "second sleep"

Here is a link that might be useful: The Myth of the 8 Hour Sleep

Comments (9)

• moonshadow
    9 years ago

Fascinating read, thanks terriks!

• deegw
    9 years ago

I have heard that theory before. I used to be a modern sleeper and had no trouble sleeping 8 or 9 hours straight. Post meno, I now sleep for 4 or 5 hours, wake and gnaw on my worries for an hour or two and then sleep for two more hours. I like the modern sleep better.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And naps. A 20-minute nap during the day promotes health as well. Europe has siestas. Americans need to chill a bit more.

• User
    9 years ago

The older I get the less 'modern' sleeper I become.

Lately I have been having a hard time falling asleep. At times I have l lain in bed for 3 hours or more without falling asleep. Very frustrating.
    I actually went to the drugstore and bought a bottle of melatonin but then returned it because the lowest dose I could find was 3 mg and I read that is too much. I have been practicing breathing methods, that helps sometimes. DH falls asleep within seconds!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Interesting. I guess I used to be a more modern sleeper too. I almost always wake up around the same time every night. Usually I go right back to sleep but ever since meno I have more trouble sometimes. And then there are those nights where I have to just read a book for a while. Usually have no trouble falling asleep, it's the STAYING asleep that's the problem. And now this DST-back-to-Standard Time adjustment thing.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I always like taking a short nap at about 3 pm each day. I rarely get to do that but it always is refreshing.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I've known about this for a while, and it's a really interesting idea to think of those medieval people visiting other in the middle of the night, etc. But I think it's probably just as much of a cultural construct as our current "8 hours of uninterrupted sleep."

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually a study was done to see how people sleep without the interruption of modern artificial lighting:

In the 1990s, a sleep scientist named Thomas Wehr discovered that everyone sleeps biphasically when subjected to natural patterns of light and dark. In Wehr's well-known study, he subjected participants to 14 hours of darkness per night, and found that they gradually shifted to a routine of taking two hours to fall asleep, then sleeping in two four-hour phases separated by about an hour of wakefulnes - "a pattern that exactly matched Ekirch's historical findings.

As I have gotten older I also tend to wake a few hours after I fall asleep. I'm awake for a while, then fall back asleep for a few hours. It's comforting for me to know that it's nothing to freak out about, that it's actually a natural human sleep pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Biphasic sleep study info

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I've heard this before. The problem was for me, when I was working, that I'd wake up at 3 am and it'd take me 2 hrs to bet back to sleep, but I had to get up at 5 am to go to work so I was basically SOL.

Now that I'm retired, it's not a problem. Though I do find I sleep 6 hrs and then wake up with a hot flash...