Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

What pattern is your every day dishes?

golddust
13 years ago

After 27 years, my every day wedding dishes are wearing out. My dinner plates are getting those crackles on them and the ones that have crackles get very hot in the microwave. It's time to replace them.

My set is by Mikasa and the pattern is French Countryside. They are plain white, which is what I really like. I'm tired of the style but not the plain white. They used to be oven and microwave proof but I don't trust them anymore. The pieces that don't have crackles are fine but it's a hassle to sort through the pieces to find a good one.

Anyone have or know of a great set of dishes I should consider? I'd love to have another sturdy set of dishes that is a plain color. My SIL replaced her wedding set recently with Fiesta Ware. She isn't that thrilled because the bottom plate makes marks on the top of the lower plate when stacked and I don't want that.

Any suggestions?

Comments (70)

• natal
    13 years ago

With all due respect to those who like it, I think Corelle's like polyester.

A double diss! ;)

I buy bone china and porcelain dishes at TJ Maxx & Marshall's. Have Wedgwood, Royal Doulton, Villeroy & Boch, and Johnson Bros. The only set I own is my mom's fine china ... which I promised I would take when she died ... but I've yet to use it. Still have pieces of Corelle from decades ago. When WM had the smaller plates on sale for 50 cents each I grabbed 'em. They're great for breakfast & lunch and perfect for the microwave.

• natal
    13 years ago

Oakley, you could have bought a 16 piece set which includes 4 dinner plates and 4 salad plates for only $25.

• whitdobe
    13 years ago

It's funny that just last year I got sick of my blue/white everyday dishes so I boxed them up and gave them to Goodwill. I bought some Corelle dishes, first time in my life I'd every had/used them and one year later I'm still very pleased with them for everyday dishes.

The Corelle ones I got are thicker than normal, they're called Corelle Elegance or something like that. (I'll put a link below.) They're just white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corelle

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I have Corelle too..as an act of love for dh. He wanted some everyday dishes he could break without feeling guilty so I bought a couple sets of Corelle. He was so excited!
    "These are as thin as paper plates!"
    He can take it outside and I don't care and if one does break, which is unusual with vitrified glass, I don't care because I can get another one for 3 dollars at Wal Mart.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Natal, I did't want any of thier bowls, saucers or cups, I don't like them. $28 is still a bargain, IMO, considering I got one free.

Tina, it's not a pain at all using the protectors. But I only use them on the V&B and Fiesta.

I remember the days when we could go to WM and buy replacement pieces all the time! Do they still sell individual plates?

Heck, it's cheaper for me to order from Amazon because I don't use gas. lol

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I said it would be a pain for ME.

Bumble, you are cracking me up! "An act of love" LOL!!

I just realized (after looking at the link) another thing I don't like, they are shiny. But, like my dad says, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla!

I'm still on the fence about using Amazon again due to the pedophile book thing.

tina

• natal
    13 years ago

Olliesmom, why do you say that? I just followed Oakley's link.

Oakley, I don't care for the cups either, but I use the bowls (sometimes for mis en place) and both sizes of plates.

• natal
    13 years ago

Hard to beat an Amazon deal. Most companies probably have things they'd rather you not know about.

• golddust
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I use the felt pads on my good china (Lenox Barclay pattern but I don't have patience for the pads on my everyday plates.

I'm shopping everyone's suggestions here and appreciate the help. I'm loving the Italian Countryside so far but I'm going to check out Corelle in person too. I am not a dishes snob. LOL! I like the concept of grabbing a bunch of plates out of the dishwasher in a hurry. Mine are heavy.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Very true Natal, but it's different when I do know. A matter of principal I suppose.

Anyhoo, I don't buy that much from Amazon anyway.

Goldie - you'll have to post a pic of what you get.

tina

• ladypat1
    13 years ago

I have Dansk, Parisian Blue from Tuesday Morning a few years ago. I really like them Heavy duty. Used to have those gray and blue pfalzgraf dishes from years ago that everybody had, and they chipped soooo bad. Glad they are gone.

• golddust
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Uh oh! The Italian Countryside is only $199. for a 45 piece set at Macy's right now. I'm in trouble as I'll be close to Macy's tomorrow and it's 'in stock'.

I inherited a huge set of Blue Danube China (service of 16) from the 40's with all the extras obtainable, from DH's aunt. While it looks great in the china cabinet, I don't like the way food looks on it. It is dishwasher safe and that is a real plus.

My Lenox Barclay belong to DH and his first wife. Since his side of the family bought it, she left it to him. While it's very expensive, I've never used it and have no plans to ever use it. The gravy boat alone is over $400. and it's not dishwasher safe. Another pretty set of dishes just for show. It's a darn good thing I have have built in china cabinets or it would likely be stored in a box somewhere. After DH's mom passes, we intend to sell it.

• jaybird
    13 years ago

I have Johnson Bros. "Heritage"....
    I'm clumsy - they don't break :^)
    Microwave/dishwasher no problem...
    and they are pretty! = priceless

Here is a link that might be useful: great dishes

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Make sure you use a Macys coupon!

• golddust
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ooooh!! I LOVE your pattern, jaybird. There's some great matching pieces on Ebay right now. $44. for 4 dinner plates and the most awesome covered bowls ever! Great S & P shakers too.

Ironstone. That is what I need.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

golddust, you know what I'm going to recommend, right?

There are *so* many white dishes there on a daily basis -- new ones, barely used, sometimes still new in the box, high end names as well as regular names. And yes, even the Johnson Bros. Heritage pattern! I'd go for an ironstone, as you're planning. Just make sure before you fall for vintage china that it's not younger than the mid 70s, because that's when lead was taken out of glazes.

Don't buy anything until you at least give my favorite boutique a try...You could probably get beautiful ironstone white dishes for about $1.99/ea. and then you can make fondue and have a complete boutique experience : )

• golddust
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I always check the dishes department but around this part of the country, I have never seen decent dishes, Fly.

Macy's coupon? Where?

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

There have been Macy coupons in my newspaper.

They also sell Mikasa at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Do you have one near you because then you can use their 20% off coupon.

Last year BB&B had a special on Mikasa and Dansk - the price was their regular price, but if you bought $150.00 they gave you a gift certificate for an additional $20.00. They had the special again this summer but I didn't know about it until it was over. I was hoping they'd run it again before the holidays but so far I haven't noticed it.

Do you want mugs or cups and saucers? Mikasa has a 45 piece set (8 place settings of 5 pieces plus a platter, serving bowl, creamer and sugar bowl with lid) for $199.99 at Bed, Bath and Beyond. The 45 piece set has cups and saucers.

But you if you'd rather have mugs they sell a 16 piece set that has deeper bowl and mugs. When I get around to buying mine I plan on buying both. That way I'll have service for 12 but mugs for everyday and cups and saucers for other times. You can also buy all kinds of completer pieces.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

I have white Ikea dinnerware for my everyday plates. They're like iron!! I also picked up a set of dinner & salad plates at a consignment store in the Peony pattern by Churchill. I loved them for their black & white pattern, and use them daily. They are wonderful, even my bull in a china shop DH can't hurt 'em.

My good dishes are a black/white pattern also, so I found it easy to just keep all my dishes and serving pieces in black or white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peony

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I guess I'm getting old! I was putting away dishes last night and saw that I have another set in there that I completely forgot about!

It's my mom's Franciscan apple pattern that she received when she married. That was a long time ago! We use them in a pinch if necessary.

My Corelle has shipped. :)

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Had Mikasa Italian Countryside but too many chips. Ended up packaging up what I had left and gave to DB&SIL who have the same pattern.

I've been using SurLaTable's bistroware for over 5 yrs without a single chip. Love, love, love it. Not inexpensive but wears like iron. That and it is white so both of my criteria are met.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I, too, have Johnson Brothers Heritage White stoneware. Many of my pieces survived the Northridge earthquake when they were flung to the ground from an overturned armoire. They do craze eventually, but pieces are available on eBay and from Replacements, Ltd. Stoneware is heavy when compared to porcelain china or glass like Corelle.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Another vote for V&B...though it looks like it may be too late! ;-)

• golddust
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's not too late, amy. I've explored every single lead here and haven't decided on anything yet.

Hmm, anyone have experience with the Williams Sonoma Everyday Restaurant Dinnerware Set? Love the simplicity of it and like that I can buy only the pieces I need.

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

My weekday dishes are Corelle - don't racall the pattern name but I use my Lenox Butterfly Meadow dishes on the weekend. I'm a butterfly gardener and about 5 years ago I asked my DH for a starter set for our anniversary. I have since added lots of extras from finds at Marshalls. I love having something special to use on the weekends, just makes breakfast on Saturday and Sunday morning special.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

golddust - I've yet to meet anything from WS that I didn't like, or was dissatisfied with!

Personally, I like the look of white dishes for everyday meals. I mix in other colors in my salad plates, serving dishes, etc. if the mood strikes me. I do have 3 other sets of bone china to use for special occasions, but have used the SurLaTable for dinner parties as well.

Love the WS Everyday Restaurant Dinnerware, very versatile.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Oh golddust...today at the boutique I saw a whole set of Crate & Barrel simple white china, I purchased some Dansk Santiago Gray plates, I saw white plates in square, round, stoneware, porcelain, matte, glossy...I wanted to call you so you could tell me what to buy and send to you! Nothing was above $1.99 each.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

If you decide on the Mikasa Italian Countryside, Overstock has it for around $169. They usually send out a 10% coupon for Black Friday.
    Dee

• quilly
    13 years ago

Great topic - I've finally decided that it's time to get new everyday dishes.

Flyleft- do you mind if I ask what you favorite boutique is? Is it a national chain or something local that's near you?
    Thanks

• kgwlisa
    13 years ago

IMO, the hands down best porcelain out there for ovenproof and everythingelseproof is Apilco. It is NOT cheap but I have a few pieces (some lovely footed and handled bowls that I use for chicken pot pies, I saw Ina Garten using them and fell in love, and a couple of ramekins) and they are beautifully crafted and extremely durable. I think Apilco is restaurant grade and anything good enough for Ina is good enough for me!

• threedgrad
    13 years ago

I was very lucky because my Dillards had 2 boxed sets of Mikasa Antique White each with 4 dishes, 4 cereal bowls and 4 cappuchino mugs for $69.99 plus an extra 40% off a few months ago. So for $42 plus tax for each set I had serving for 8. Now I chose this pattern because I also have the old Pfaltzgraf white dishes which are similar in style. The salad plates of one look fine with the new Mikasa. These sets are still available for $69.99 on the website but no extra off.

• joanie_b
    13 years ago

I looked forever for some creamy white dishes and found this Pfaltzgraff pattern at Big Lots - 40 pc set for only $35.
    They carry them as a regular item and you can't beat the price.
    The quality is very nice and they look great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pfaltzgraff Traditions Weave at Big Lots

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

White restaurant style dishes from Crate and Barrel called Maison. Love the versitility. They are the only set I have. If a plate breaks, it can be replaced.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I bet I have ten sets of dishes, nothing real expensive that I use. But I always go with the Turquoise dishes I bought at T.J. Maxx for five bucks a plate.

I never use old transferware dishes or platters even for holidays, do you guys?

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

I have a set of Italian Countryside. The pattern is wonderful, the quality of the pieces is very nice. My only complaint is that the dinner plates are HUGE. I think at least 11", I don't remember exactly, but they won't fit in my dishwaher, so all of our plates have to be hand washed, so we hardly ever use them.

• golddust
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, today I sprung for Williams Sonoma's Everyday plates and they are going back. They don't fit well in my dishwasher (too large) and while the sample plate looked great looked great in the store, the pieces in the set are not the quality I expected.

I looked at Macy's and found nothing I wanted so it's back to the drawing board. Fell in love with the Pillivuyt and the Apilco set at W-S. Of course. I'm going to price them again online tonight.

• golddust
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kgwlisa, what pattern do you have? I'm thinking seriously about getting the Apilco set. I can buy a few pieces at a time, like you do.

I like the tradition set verses the Hemline. Maybe because they are cheaper. LOL!

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

My everyday (and every other day!) dishes are Corningware French White porcelain dinnerware. They're pretty enough for company but sturdy enough to withstand everyday use (and my clumsiness while dishwashing!)

Costco had a 20 piece set that included dinner/lunch plates, cereal and pasta bowls, and mugs for 4, and I have 3 sets. I might purchase another one for those rare occasions when we have more than 12 over for dinner.

I love all white plates - makes the food look better!

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

I used to work in the home dept at a store called Daly's in Nor Cal. I loved setting the displays of china and crystal on the tables. French Countryside was a best seller.

My best memory was a rancher who came in with his daughter. His wife left him and cleaned out the house, took everything. So he needed to replace it all. He ordered service for 16 of Mikasa Charisma Black. Very popular pattern back then. We picked out the crystal, silverware and lots of kitchen stuff. Biggest sale I ever had.

I picked up a white set 2yrs ago at Target. It was a super deal, I think a black friday item. Service for 12 for something like 19.99. It is plain white with kinda a pleated edge. Goes with every holiday.

I still have my Mikasa Dresden Rose from 1984. I got it all with my store discount. Service for 12. It is a delicate pattern of baby blue flowers on edge with a tiny dot of pink in the center of the floweres. Silver trim. Turns out it is almost identical to the pattern my mom had when I was little. Never realized it when I picked it out. It is not really Thanksgiving or Christmasy but it looked nice when I did a silver and white table scape last year. Had silver chargers and candlesticks with a crisp white cloth.

Golddust= I know you already went to Macy's but there was a coupon on the back of the Sunday ad.

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

joanie b - Do the Pfaltzgraff from Big Lots fit in you DW good? That is a great deal for everyday dishes!

• anele_gw
    13 years ago

I know you bought yours already, but wanted to say we just got Fiestaware. I knew about the marks beforehand (people said you can use Bartender's secret or whatever that is). I think it only shows up on the light ones. I got:
    chocolate
    ivory
    tangerine
    scarlet
    turquoise

I am keeping the choco/ivory as my base, and then adding the other colors seasonally (i.e. brown/ivory/tangerine for fall). Might be getting a green for the red/green look for Christmas. I am also going to look for some vintage salad plates to keep things more interesting!

• golddust
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My SIL and my DD have the new Fiestaware and I have some old pieces. I love it but I'm stuck on white. I collect old salad plates and serving dishes in different patterns so white works well for what I have going.

Love your color choices!! I'm not going to use Barkeeper's Friend on my dishes (though I use it all the time for sinks, etc.). I know me. I am far too lazy and my house is far too big to add one more thing to my chore list.

• anele_gw
    13 years ago

golddust, I am not going to use Barkeeper's Friend either . . .I am lucky if the dishes are clean/put away! (My house is too small with so many people in it!) I am just living with it on the ivory. (Hasn't shown up on the rest.)

I can see layered white being really pretty. I love the simplicity of it, and the idea of adding interest through texture and detail. I had plain white IKEA dishes last year and thought I would add interest with other room elements, but they chipped quickly and I gave up. I love all white in a white DR, when it offers contrast, or when there is a lot else going on (pattern, for one). My boring DR has none of those. :(

• nonniesharon
    13 years ago

Just got in my new dishes and I adore them! Villa Della Luna by Pfaltzgraff. Now I'm trying to add color in my kitchen to match the dishes - probably with kitchen curtains. I have neutrals everywhere - taupe walls, cream cabinets, brown granite. Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Villa Della Luna by Pfaltgraff

• golddust
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Teacher, what a beautiful pattern! Kind of Tuscany, in my mind. It should be fun to work around these dishes to create a more enlivened kitchen.

• nonniesharon
    13 years ago

Exactly the vision I had in mind, Golddust. Although they looked nice, I'm just so tired of my blah colors. This is going to be fun!

• User
    13 years ago

I know you're excited and don't want to rain on your parade, those dishes are very pretty. I just want to warn you to be very careful about how you load them in your dishwasher because we have the Napoli dishes and have had a real problem with chipping. It's just my DH & I and we're not hard on them so we're guessing it must be from the dishwasher. It's been very disappointing. We've had a few different Pfaltzgraff sets through the years without a problem. Anyway, I hope you have much better luck with your new dishes than we've had with ours.

• nonniesharon
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice and I have to say, I was concerned about that after getting them in. I may call Pfaltzgraff tomorrow about it. These were expensive, in my opinion, for everyday dishes and I can't afford to replace pieces.
    Thanks for the heads-up!

• deborah1950
    13 years ago

I have Franciscan Ivy pattern and I would like to find solid cream dishes to use with. Most I see are white, which I like but cream would go with the Franciscan. It is the same background color as the Apple and Desert Rose patterns. Anyone have any suggestions? I want to make sure that whatever I get doesn't get silverware marks like my Fiesta does! It drives me nuts, and barkeepers friend did not get rid of them. I don't use them much because they look unappetizing. I don't need mugs, as I have 12 creamy ironstone mugs that my daughter bought from a local restaurant. I also have set of Liberty Blue that I never use, plus my Minton china in Stanwood pattern which is discontinued.