Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjlb

Anyone drive a Vespa or similar?

mjlb
10 years ago

I'm thinking of buying a Vespa-type scooter (knees together in on running board) for a loved one who is retired and lives on a fairly small and flat island. I think I'm on the low end of pricing, looking for something no more than $1500.

Having never ridden a scooter myself (altho' I think they're very cool) -- what kind of things should I look for? The bike would be used for grocery shopping, library run, etc. so storage would be important. But the most important aspects would be safety and reliability.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I've not ever owned or ridden on one, but they always look cool. However, as with any small vehicle, visibility is critical to safety so bright orange helmet, vest or even a safety flag so the person is noticed.

• springroz
    10 years ago

We own one now, courtesy of a motorcycle swap meet. It is one of the Chinese(cheap) ones, and all the parts are available online, but that only works well if you are mechanical. I would worry about service availability, and check that out in your area first.

They look like fun, but apparently, one of the reasons for the rise in popularity is that it does not require a driver's license, so they make good transportation for someone with DUI's.......

Nancy

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I've always wanted one. DH teases me that it will be my first purchase if I end up in a retirement community. I was in a bicycle repair shop and they had accessories for scooters. You can get extra lighting kits, backrests, larger mirrors for visibility, baskets with lids for storage or even just a folding metal rack.

Your post brought back favorite memories:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Maire....love that movie....Audrey, Gregory....swoon!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

In my state you need a valid motorcycle driver's license to drive a street legal Vespa. It has to be titled and registered by the state,and meet the emission and safety regulations.

• User
    10 years ago

Here in Virginia, if they are 50cc or under, no license is needed. They are very popular here -- would love to get one some day!

• mjlb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, good - I'm not the only one who thinks they're cool!

• blfenton
    10 years ago

My 24 year old son has one. Here, you have to have a drivers license because you are on the road but, depending on the size, you don't need a motor cycle license.

My son likes it because it is so cheap on gas (and kinda cool and fun to drive). It rains here a lot so he has a gortex rain suit, and is well lit up if it's dark and rated helmets are mandatory. They are treated like a small motorcycle. The only restriction is that they are not highway speed rated. One of our nearby bridges into downtown is part of the highway system and so vespas can go across but they are restricted to a specific on-ramp and exit at each end.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Did you buy a scooter? I have a 300cc Vespa in red, and I love it!

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

Oh my - this post is 6 years old and guess what- I am in a retirement community but it's not large enough to have a Vespa.

• mjlb
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Was surprised to see an inquiry so close to my situation. Oh -- I am the OP!

• maire_cate
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

That's funny mjlb - did you ever purchase one?

• summersrhythm_z6a
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I am very happy to see this old thread back to life! I still have the 300cc Vespa, plus two 250cc Piaggio MP3 (3 wheeled Italian scooters in different colors), two 50 cc Honda Ruckus (in two different colors), one yellow Honda Big Ruckus, one 125 Honda Grom (don’t ride this little motorcycle much, but it‘s cute). I collected a few bikes. 50 cc Honda Ruckus would be great for retirement community, it’s like a mini bike so much fun to ride, the bike is about 200lbs, easy to ride to park, and it’s 100 mpg, 38-40 mph. Get one while you can!