Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
april101_gw

Anyone been to Alaska (not cruising)

April101
9 years ago

Hello all,
Planning a trip to Alaska with husband, 21 year old college senior next June. Has anyone been? If so, where did you go? Fishing, hiking, nature, spending time with our son sounds pretty fantastic. 7-10 days is what we have. I have searched Foders and trip advisor forums. Still confused. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (8)

• texanjana
    9 years ago

We have friends that did a trip through Backroads and loved it. They are very fit and adventurous, and took their two college aged daughters with them.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Yes. We went for a friends wedding maybe 7-8 yrs ago. It was in Anchorage. If memory serves went to Whittier to do a boat tour and see wildlife and glaciers calving... Very cool.
    Then drove out to Homer via the Russian River valley iirc? Then we took another boat to Sadie's Cove and stayed a few days ... A wonderful place ... Gilligans island esque... Then we took a Seaplane to see the bears at Katmai

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 0:06

• redcurls
    9 years ago

We did twice. The first one we took the Alaska Marine Highway which is a ferry. We were onboard a couple of days. You do NOT have to get a cabin, but we did. MANY people just slept in sleeping bads in a large mostly empty area. There was a cafeteria onboard. At Skagway, we got off and rented a car. Drove through Whitehorse, Canada 1 night) and much of the Yukon to Tok, Alaska (1 night) and then continued to Fairbanks for a few days, then south to Denali National Park for a couple of days, on to Anchorage for a couple, and then on to the Kenai Peninsula which is simply Awesome!!! Flew home from Anchorage. About 18 days total.

Second trip was round-trip to Anchorage, rental car again, a stay in Homer, more time on the Kenai Peninsula, and then backtracked and drove round-trip to Valdez. I'd do it again anytime! Used Bed & Breakfasts both times. There are many, many sightseeing tours at all those locations. Stop at all the Visitor Centers or just plan ahead of time. Sometimes the research on what to do is as much fun as the actual trip.

This post was edited by redcurls on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 3:03

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

DH has been twice, I can't remember where he was most recently, but I know the first trip he flew into Anchorage and pretty much did the same as red curls; they went on to Homer to fish and spent time on the Kenai Peninsula as well.

• April101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tex:
    I'll check out Backroads. I have friend who have used them before and been pleased.

Mtn:
    Homer is on my list. Sadie Cove, I'll check it out. We will do some sort of flight seeing trip. Good suggestion.

Red:
    KP, Homer and Seward are my target areas. We will do a car rental. I appreciate the confirmation on the area.

Sweet-Tea
    Homer to fish. Yes!

And yes, the research is most of the fun. We went to Australia this summer and I was sad when it was over. I had nothing else to research. Sniff...until this trip.

Thanks again everyone.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

April We did a road trip for ten days in
    August 2004 when our son was 17 and daughter 14.
    Flew in and out of Anchorage. We drove up through Denali but were disappointed we could not drive farther in but stayed further north and did a horse back trip For a full day. Wonderful! We were ALONE except for guide. We ride and have our own horses so this may not be for a novice. But you cant see that scenery otherwise.
    We drove via Denali Highway to Paxon. Gravel road only open in summer. Nothing there but scenery. Then south to Copper Center where we hired a small plane (landing strip was on the bank of the Copper River where the salmon wheels were running. so cool) to McCarthy and Kennecott. This was the Wrangell St Elias Park area and WOW! Far surpassed Denali. This area is just breathtaking and off the beaten path for most because you have to fly in. Cant drive rental cars. Road is too bad you would have to change tires. This is where the old copper mine is and glacier hiking - that was cut short by the bears...
    On South to Valdez and the ferry to Whittier (great WW2 history) Fabulous scenery of wildlife from the ferry. Then further south to Seward and back to Anchorage.
    The kids still talk about the great trip. This was ten years ago.
    Get your ferry tickets booked well in advance for the vehicles. And be aware that the potential to overdose on the bigness of it all its a big state lots of wilderness. I grew up out west upper plains states and am used to this type of car trip but some folks get a little antsy if they don't see a house for a few hours...

• April101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Missy, thanks!

• April101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Missy, thanks!